shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5ct versus 1.7ct size noticable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockout

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 4:05:51 PM
Author: dreamer_d

But actually I think it is too much a stretch. I had not factored into things the taxes I would have to pay upon import to Canada, and also the cost of a temporary setting. Although it is not *so* much, we have a budget and I think I need to stick to it. It is too easy to ''but its only another 500 dollars'' yourself into spending much more than you wanted.
I hear you about the feature creep that can set in on so many purchases in life.

I respect that you want to stick to your budget. Let me ask you this, how much longer would it take for you to comfortably have more $$$ for the stone you REALLY want? 6 mos. or a year? Perhaps it is worth the wait...

melz

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t have the willpower, but that is very good of you Dreamer. I''m sure you''re getting it somewhere that will allow an upgrade and you can switch it out when it feels like the right time, and you won''t have to feel at all guilty looking at your beautiful new 1.5 ct stone, which is going to be a BIG jump from 1.2.

Can''t wait to see what you get and how you set it!
36.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 7:05:58 PM
Author: Rockout
I hear you about the feature creep that can set in on so many purchases in life.

I respect that you want to stick to your budget. Let me ask you this, how much longer would it take for you to comfortably have more $$$ for the stone you REALLY want? 6 mos. or a year? Perhaps it is worth the wait...
Hmmm... you might be right about this. I think it would not take too too long...

Gardengloves I agree with you, I really do. I just know if I had my dream size and one day set it into my dream ring, I would cherish it so much. It would be *worth* it completely.

We''ll see how it all pans out I guess!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
You want to get a setting you love for this upgrade diamond, right? I think that''s what you said earlier, sooooooo, I would wait for the 6 mo to a year and save to get the 1.7. I think you will be much happier:)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 12:28:16 AM
Author: Bella_mezzo
You want to get a setting you love for this upgrade diamond, right? I think that''s what you said earlier, sooooooo, I would wait for the 6 mo to a year and save to get the 1.7. I think you will be much happier:)
Eventually I would get a fancy schmancy setting if I hit the 1.7ct mark. Seriously, that is the size I have been eye balling for a long time as my "stick it" size. Close enough to 2ct visually, but without the big price leap, and BIG on the finger without being too big for my lifestyle. So yes, I would get a nice setting!

Immediately though it would go in a simple basket setting. I like basket settings, boring as they are, I think they make the stone look great!

I don''t think it would take me a year to save up... I am thinking 4-6 months. I do our banking so I can just sneak a little here and there when we have "extra"
12.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer,

I've been away on holiday for the past few weeks and so haven't really kept up with the developments in your upgrade project. Tell me, is this 1.70ct going to be J Si2? Will it be "mind-clean" enough for you (even if it is eye-clean)? I seem to remember your wanting to have a higher colour and/ or clarity stone? Are you going to eventually upgrade to a higher-spec'ed stone eventually?

If such a J Si2 stone is going to be ok for you for the time being and it doesn't cost you much more than a 1.50ct, I'd say go for it. Life is too short!!
31.gif
11.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
then I say save for 4 months, get the 1.7 and call it a day. That''s hardly any time at all. I love simple basket settings too (ahem BGD Grace and WF W prong:) and then your new project to take up all your diamond obsessing time can be finding the perfect fancy long-term setting
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 5:19:21 AM
Author: Phoenix
Dreamer,

I''ve been away on holiday for the past few weeks and so haven''t really kept up with the developments in your upgrade project. Tell me, is this 1.70ct going to be J Si2? Will it be ''mind-clean'' enough for you (even if it is eye-clean)? I seem to remember your wanting to have a higher colour and/ or clarity stone? Are you going to eventually upgrade to a higher-spec''ed stone eventually?

If such a J Si2 stone is going to be ok for you for the time being and it doesn''t cost you much more than a 1.50ct, I''d say go for it. Life is too short!!
31.gif
11.gif
It will be an H SI2
2.gif
That is mind clean for me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2010 11:42:10 AM

Dreamer,

I''ve been away on holiday for the past few weeks and so haven''t really kept up with the developments in your upgrade project. Tell me, is this 1.70ct going to be J Si2? Will it be ''mind-clean'' enough for you (even if it is eye-clean)? I seem to remember your wanting to have a higher colour and/ or clarity stone? Are you going to eventually upgrade to a higher-spec''ed stone eventually?

If such a J Si2 stone is going to be ok for you for the time being and it doesn''t cost you much more than a 1.50ct, I''d say go for it. Life is too short!!
31.gif
11.gif
It will be an H SI2
2.gif

I think you would be in heaven....
If you bought a one point seven.....

9.gif
25.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 11:44:35 AM
Author: Lorelei

Dreamer,

31.gif
11.gif
It will be an H SI2
2.gif

9.gif
25.gif

I think I would be too...
Now I know just what to do...
You darn enabler, you...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2010 12:24:05 PM

Date: 4/12/2010 11:44:35 AM

Dreamer,

I've been away on holiday for the past few weeks and so haven't really kept up with the developments in your upgrade project. Tell me, is this 1.70ct going to be J Si2? Will it be 'mind-clean' enough for you (even if it is eye-clean)? I seem to remember your wanting to have a higher colour and/ or clarity stone? Are you going to eventually upgrade to a higher-spec'ed stone eventually?

If such a J Si2 stone is going to be ok for you for the time being and it doesn't cost you much more than a 1.50ct, I'd say go for it. Life is too short!!
31.gif
11.gif
It will be an H SI2
2.gif

9.gif
25.gif

I think I would be too...
Now I know just what to do...
You darn enabler, you...
Enabling is my forte...
Even though it might be naughty....
I know this 1.7 ring....
Will be the one to make your heart sing...

Lalala - laaaa......
12.gif
emlove.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 12:37:19 PM

Enabling is my forte...
I know this 1.7 ring....

Lalala - laaaa......
12.gif
emlove.gif
OK, even with your accent I cannot see how these two lines rhyme my friend
25.gif

Or is it "For-taay" and "Naw-Taay"?
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2010 12:46:39 PM

Date: 4/12/2010 12:37:19 PM

Enabling is my forte...
I know this 1.7 ring....

Lalala - laaaa......
12.gif
emlove.gif
OK, even with your accent I cannot see how these two lines rhyme my friend
25.gif

Or is it ''For-taay'' and ''Naw-Taay''?
9.gif
Yes!!!

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dreamer, I just want you to know how much I ENJOY your diamond dilema threads. In fact, you are one of my favourite PS posters (I also love opening threads by Bliss and Pheonix -bling, bling, bling).

Definitely go 1.7 (with an upgrade policy of course).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 1:53:25 PM
Author: blingmyring
Hi Dreamer, I just want you to know how much I ENJOY your diamond dilema threads. In fact, you are one of my favourite PS posters (I also love opening threads by Bliss and Pheonix -bling, bling, bling).

Definitely go 1.7 (with an upgrade policy of course).
Wiow, is this the day of nice compliments for Dreamer or what! Thanks! Did my husband put you up to it?
4.gif

Yes, and upgrade policy for sure.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for the 1.7 now if you can afford it. That is your dream size, and I don''t think you''d be happy with the 1.5 carat for long. I was checking out a diamond around this size on WF''s website recently, but it''s just not affordable for me right now, and I''d like to keep my current diamond a couple of years before upgrading. Plus I want a 2+ carat diamond eventually, so I may just skip the in between size and go straight for my dream size. That sounds like what you should do too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results