shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5ct versus 1.7ct size noticable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo that BGD was kind enough to send to me. On the far right is a 1.2ct diamond. The middle is 1.5ct and the far left is a 1.7ct.

The price difference between 1.5 and 1.7 is huge. The perceptible size difference is not... thoughts? Have you made a similar comparison in real life?

170150120ddx.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
DD-The suspense re your project is killing me:)

I looked at this in person a while ago. From 1.2 to 1.5 is a HUGE visual difference to me, 1.5-1.7, meh, not so much. it''s there, but not worth the price IMO, but didn''t you say before that on your hand you didn''t see a big difference over your 1.2 until you hit the 1.7 mark?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Difference doesn''t look huge to me but I have never compared RB in these size ranges in detail in person. Only cushions but that''s a different ball game.

melz

Shiny_Rock
i did make a real life comparison of loose diamonds and the 1.7 definitely looked noticeably bigger than the 1.5.

ETA: oof just looked at the price difference. ya i'd probably stick with a nice 1.5 and upgrade later.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah as you go larger and larger it takes bigger carat jumps to be as noticeable.

I''ll bet a 21 carat would look the same as a 22 carat.

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
What''s the sacrifice you''d be making to go from 1.5 to 1.7? More $$ out of pocket? Lower color or clarity? My opinion is to squeeze out as much size as possible, as long as the other sacrifices are worth making. I''m a shameless size girl, what can I say?
31.gif

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DD,

I can see the difference between the 1.5 to the 1.7. However, once it is mounted and on your hand not so much. If the 1.5 is a better colour and clarity I would go with it over a marginally bigger 1.7 at a lesser colour/clarity. That is what upgrade policies are for , right?
11.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d pick the best color between the 1.5 and 1.7; I think once you get it mounted the difference would not be very noticeable.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 1:58:46 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
DD-The suspense re your project is killing me:)

I looked at this in person a while ago. From 1.2 to 1.5 is a HUGE visual difference to me, 1.5-1.7, meh, not so much. it''s there, but not worth the price IMO, but didn''t you say before that on your hand you didn''t see a big difference over your 1.2 until you hit the 1.7 mark?
Honetly, they were CZs and they were set so I actually don''t trust the calibration of the "diamonds" in that comparison. In the pictures and videos I have seen the difference up to 1.5 is noticable to me. It is simply impossible for me to see loose stones or even set ones in this size range in person, I have tried.

And LOL about suspese. I am having a really hard time with this one
32.gif
To me, what we will be spending to make this change in either reset or diamond size is a lot of money, more than I ever thought I would spend on a diamond. And I have a very hard time spending anything more than $500 on anything
20.gif
So I don''t want to make a mistake! But I so want my dream ring
30.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 2:10:20 PM
Author: Melz
i did make a real life comparison of loose diamonds and the 1.7 definitely looked noticeably bigger than the 1.5.

ETA: oof just looked at the price difference. ya i''d probably stick with a nice 1.5 and upgrade later.
Yes, it is between 3k and 5k more to hit to 1.7ct mark! There are ways around this -- SI2 clarity, J color -- but it is a big price difference. So now worth it to you?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 2:17:45 PM
Author: kenny
Yeah as you go larger and larger it takes bigger carat jumps to be as noticeable.

I''ll bet a 21 carat would look the same as a 22 carat.
25.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 2:28:40 PM
Author: jill_s
What''s the sacrifice you''d be making to go from 1.5 to 1.7? More $$ out of pocket? Lower color or clarity? My opinion is to squeeze out as much size as possible, as long as the other sacrifices are worth making. I''m a shameless size girl, what can I say?
31.gif
More money, SI2 clarity, I am keeping the color in my comfort zone no matter what.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does this matter... if I hit 1.7ct I would not upgrade again. That is my ideal size (2ct is too big for this point in my life).

Maybe I answered my own question
20.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The difference is not very noticeable at the magnification of the photo. I imagine it would be even less in real life and set. Beautiful stones!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I do think it''s noticible IRL.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I shrank the photo to a more realistic size on my monitor (tried to line it up with my fingers up to the screen!
3.gif
) and no, I don't think I'd pay $5k more for such a small bump up. Would it even be noticeable when set?

Do you think you may have more of a 'mind-clean' issue with the carat weight, not the face-up size? (Does that make sense?)

170150120ddx2.jpg

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can see a difference, but in a setting, I''m not sure. But if 1.7 is the maximum you want to go to, then yes, you''ve answered your question. You might as well do it now or else you''re going to have to probably fork over more later if you upgrade twice. There''s no guarantee what diamond prices will be x number of years from now. If you can''t afford to get what you want with the 1.7, then I''d wait a little while longer so you get score a white 1.7 carat diamond.

Just my thoughts...

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 3:08:48 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Does this matter... if I hit 1.7ct I would not upgrade again. That is my ideal size (2ct is too big for this point in my life).

Maybe I answered my own question
20.gif

I''d suggest staying at 1.50 if, and only if, you have to compromise too much on clarity to go to 1.70.

If you can get a truly mind clean clarity grade at the 1.70 carat size, then I say go for it, spend the money, and don''t look back.

But I''m afraid if you compromise too much on clarity, you will not have a mind clean stone, and then the upgrade bug will bite again.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe the mm size difference is about 0.25mm, which is not noticeable enough to me to justify the 25%-ish increase in cost. In other words, if I were to spend 25% more, I would want a much larger visual payback than that
9.gif
I don''t think 0.25 mm at that size is noticeable at all, but that pic sure does make it seem so so I''m confused.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
IMO, the difference isn''t that noticeable to justify the steep price difference.

Signed,
A size junkie
2.gif

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, ok. I was going to say the size difference isn''t noticeable enough until Ebree shrank the picture. (Nice job!) I put my hand over the 1.7 and compared the 1.2 to the 1.5. Not bad. Then I put my hand over the 1.5 and compared the 1.2 to the 1.7. Hubba hubba!

Nuff said.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer-I had a 1.7 and a good friend has a 1.5 and I thought the size difference was huge to my eye. If that is the last upgrade I would do that. I always wanted a 2+ stone and when I got the 1.7, I remember
Lesley telling me, ''Its like you get to wear it for free, because you can trade up''. It''s working yourself up to the bigger size.

Once you get to 2.5-3.0 the size difference is barely noticeable for the huge jump in price, I think, but the 1.5-1.7 seems like more to me. My friends stone is also set higher which sometimes makes it look bigger, but
I always thought her''s looked so much smaller.

I have to say though, I had a hard time trading that stone in. I loved it! So if you get attached, I would get one you want to stick with. I wish I could have kept both! Drats!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, dreamer, I think there is a thread on diamond size comparison that had some whiteflash stones of 1.5 and 1.7. I think it will be noticeable even set.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Bottom line---if you can afford it, and you are going to be disappointed later on that you didn't go for the 1.7 and if you are spending a lot on the setting and won't be upgrading---then it sounds like you should go large.

But if the price is a stretch the 1.5 is really a very substantial size. Any chance you could lower the clarity to get the larger size and keep to your budget?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 5:04:08 PM
Author: Lurchie
Hmm, ok. I was going to say the size difference isn''t noticeable enough until Ebree shrank the picture. (Nice job!) I put my hand over the 1.7 and compared the 1.2 to the 1.5. Not bad. Then I put my hand over the 1.5 and compared the 1.2 to the 1.7. Hubba hubba!

Nuff said.
Yes, it is not just whether the 1.7 looks bigger than the 1.5, but how does it compare to the 1.2 I currently have? And hubba hubba indeed.

By the way, I would not be spending 5k more to go bigger, I would drop clarity and wait for an eye clean SI2 like KT recently got...

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
I can see a difference between the 1.5 and 1.7 personally. Its a small difference, but easily can tell. Especially between the 1.2 and 1.7..thats a jump!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a certain setting in mind?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 7:39:29 PM
Author: E B
Do you have a certain setting in mind?
A cheap temporary setting
2.gif
There would be no money for such things for a while in either scenerio
4.gif
I would like a simple basket cathedral if I can find one for under $300. Then I will take my time and decide.

Honestly, a 1.7 would be so HUGE that it would take getting used to wearing it!

Something like this: http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rings/four-prong-solitaire-basket-setting-2mm-gr6fnd4-set-2080.aspx

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I think the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.5 is noticeable, and the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.7 is more noticeable.

I do not think the difference between the 1.5 and the 1.7 is noticeable enough to warrant a big price difference.

However, I think the fact you think that 1.7 is your magic size and that you will be happy with it for a long time to come....then it is maybe worth the price increase. If it costs $3-5K to not be looking at upgrading the 1.5 again in a few months (or not being entirely happy with it) then go for the 1.7.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 7:43:13 PM
Author: RaiKai
I think the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.5 is noticeable, and the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.7 is more noticeable.

I do not think the difference between the 1.5 and the 1.7 is noticeable enough to warrant a big price difference.

However, I think the fact you think that 1.7 is your magic size and that you will be happy with it for a long time to come....then it is maybe worth the price increase. If it costs $3-5K to not be looking at upgrading the 1.5 again in a few months (or not being entirely happy with it) then go for the 1.7.
It would not cost that much, maybe $1000 more. We are talking SI2s here and it keeps the cost down, even with H color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results