shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5ct versus 1.7ct size noticable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 7:45:22 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Date: 4/10/2010 7:43:13 PM

Author: RaiKai

I think the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.5 is noticeable, and the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.7 is more noticeable.

I do not think the difference between the 1.5 and the 1.7 is noticeable enough to warrant a big price difference.

However, I think the fact you think that 1.7 is your magic size and that you will be happy with it for a long time to come....then it is maybe worth the price increase. If it costs $3-5K to not be looking at upgrading the 1.5 again in a few months (or not being entirely happy with it) then go for the 1.7.

It would not cost that much, maybe $1000 more. We are talking SI2s here and it keeps the cost down, even with H color.

Then I think that given you have your heart set on a 1.7ct, it makes sense to go for the 1.7ct. The $1,000 savings for me would not be worth the "what if" as it sounds like a 1.5ct for you would still be a "compromise".

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 7:52:37 PM

It would not cost that much, maybe $1000 more. We are talking SI2s here and it keeps the cost down, even with H color.

Then I think that given you have your heart set on a 1.7ct, it makes sense to go for the 1.7ct. The $1,000 savings for me would not be worth the ''what if'' as it sounds like a 1.5ct for you would still be a ''compromise''.
This is a good way of thinking of it
4.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/10/2010 8:15:42 PM

Then I think that given you have your heart set on a 1.7ct, it makes sense to go for the 1.7ct. The $1,000 savings for me would not be worth the ''what if'' as it sounds like a 1.5ct for you would still be a ''compromise''.

4.gif

Ok I change my mind, I thought it was $3-5K difference (now I feel stupid with my 25% post earlier). If it''s only $1K I would definitely go bigger, even if it''s not *that* noticeable... it will be in your mind.

Rockout

Rough_Rock
DD, As a guy, I would want you you to have the stone you really love, hands down. For $1000 you NEED to go for the larger one! I can''t wait for the sequel thread titled "1.7ct verses 2.2ct size noticable?"
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 8:20:20 PM
Author: shimmer

Date: 4/10/2010 8:15:42 PM

4.gif

Ok I change my mind, I thought it was $3-5K difference (now I feel stupid with my 25% post earlier). If it''s only $1K I would definitely go bigger, even if it''s not *that* noticeable... it will be in your mind.
I did say it could be that much, please don''t feel silly! Just not at SI2 level. It is a needle in a haystack to find a *truly* eye clean one, but maybe worth the wait? I realized that the clarity grade itself does not matter to me at all, just that I cannot see inclusions easily. No black table inclusions for me
2.gif

The mind is such a silly thing, you are right about just *knowing*, eh?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 8:25:38 PM
Author: Rockout
DD, As a guy, I would want you you to have the stone you really love, hands down. For $1000 you NEED to go for the larger one! I can''t wait for the sequel thread titled ''1.7ct verses 2.2ct size noticable?''
2.gif
LOL! Maybe in 5 years
2.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I can notice the difference between the 1.5 and 1.7. Having been where you are now, I would choose the larger stone
2.gif

Rockout

Rough_Rock
I am curiuos, you said you cannot see stones in the size range above at B&M stores? I thought you were near Toronto (KW area)? There are some stores that have stones in that range in stock to see.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely think you should make it to your magic number since you can.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 8:42:09 PM
I am curiuos, you said you cannot see stones in the size range above at B&M stores? I thought you were near Toronto (KW area)? There are some stores that have stones in that range in stock to see.
Are you cyber stalking me rockout?
2.gif

I moved this winter for a job and there is nothing anywhere near me at all unfortunately. A trip into the big city is quite an ordeal and not easily arranged with my one year old in tow
5.gif

I was able to try on some rings with 1.5ct and 1.75ct diamonds in then on one occassion now that I think about it. I didn''t compare the two directly, but while the 1.5 looked great, the 1.75 looked huge to me. DH and I both thought it was a great size for my hand. I had forgotten that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Get the biggest stone. You know you want it.
1.gif
You''ve got a great upgrade policy with BGD so no worries for the future.

cheers--Sharon

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"it" meaning the 1.5?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely go for the larger size. My friend had a 1.2 ct and I had upgraded to 1.52 ct. The size difference was very noticable. Funny though, I really noticed the size more when she put my ring on her finger.
41.gif
Strange that your own stone seems to shrink when you look at it on your own hand. My 1.52 was an I1 and the inclusions drove me crazy. It''s all I saw when I looked at the stone. I have since upgraded to a 2.01 SI1 which I love. Don''t settle...wait and get the size you really want.

I can hardly wait to see your new ring. I''m sure that whatever you decide, it will be beautiful.
30.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/10/2010 7:43:13 PM
I think the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.5 is noticeable, and the difference between the 1.2 and the 1.7 is more noticeable.

I do not think the difference between the 1.5 and the 1.7 is noticeable enough to warrant a big price difference.

However, I think the fact you think that 1.7 is your magic size and that you will be happy with it for a long time to come....then it is maybe worth the price increase. If it costs $3-5K to not be looking at upgrading the 1.5 again in a few months (or not being entirely happy with it) then go for the 1.7.
Is this the "it" you mean motownmama? I meant that the the 1.7 would cost about $1000 more than the 1.5ct, maybe a tad more. The upgrade will cost more than that either way.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 1:58:46 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
DD-The suspense re your project is killing me:)

I looked at this in person a while ago. From 1.2 to 1.5 is a HUGE visual difference to me, 1.5-1.7, meh, not so much. it''s there, but not worth the price IMO

This is exactly what I see too

Rockout

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 9:00:06 PM

2.gif

I moved this winter for a job and there is nothing anywhere near me at all unfortunately. A trip into the big city is quite an ordeal and not easily arranged with my one year old in tow
5.gif

I was able to try on some rings with 1.5ct and 1.75ct diamonds in then on one occassion now that I think about it. I didn''t compare the two directly, but while the 1.5 looked great, the 1.75 looked huge to me. DH and I both thought it was a great size for my hand. I had forgotten that.
If I recall it wasn''t that long ago - I have only been a member for a short while here - I thought it was a month or so ago that you mentioned your trip.

It can definetly be hard at a B&M to see samples side by side unless they have a vast inventory.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 10:18:56 PM

Date: 4/10/2010 9:00:06 PM

2.gif

5.gif

If I recall it wasn''t that long ago - I have only been a member for a short while here - I thought it was a month or so ago that you mentioned your trip.

It can definetly be hard at a B&M to see samples side by side unless they have a vast inventory.
Yes, I did make a trip to the city recently, near where I live now, but did not get to see any diamonds in person really, unfortunately. Well, I saw one but that was it!

melz

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 2:58:39 PM

Date: 4/10/2010 2:10:20 PM
Author: Melz
i did make a real life comparison of loose diamonds and the 1.7 definitely looked noticeably bigger than the 1.5.

ETA: oof just looked at the price difference. ya i''d probably stick with a nice 1.5 and upgrade later.
Yes, it is between 3k and 5k more to hit to 1.7ct mark! There are ways around this -- SI2 clarity, J color -- but it is a big price difference. So now worth it to you?
Looks like you''ve solved it for yourself. I would definitely go down in clarity, and wait for it to come along, and spend another $1000. Not a question.

Actually, if I could afford it, I think it would be worth $3k for the difference. But I''d go the $1k route. Then again I have a not so good 2ct, so SI2 J in an amazing cut would be an upgrade for me.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"DH & I both thought IT was a great size." meaning which? the 1.5? 1.7?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 12:49:04 AM
Author: motownmama
''DH & I both thought IT was a great size.'' meaning which? the 1.5? 1.7?
Oh, sorry! The 1.7ct.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2010 9:01:23 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Get the biggest stone. You know you want it.
1.gif
You''ve got a great upgrade policy with BGD so no worries for the future.

cheers--Sharon
Me three.

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
36.gif

It sounds like you''re reaching a conclusion? I think it''s worth waiting until you find that eyeclean 1.7 SI2. I am so excited for you! PS makes vicarious living oh-so easy and fun!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I can see a size difference between the 1.5 and 1.7. I have a 1.7 and I love the size!

Personally, I tend to second guess myself a lot, so if it were me and I was considering the 1.7 for only $1000 difference, I would go for it. It''s not worth it to get the 1.5 and then always think, "if I had just spent $1000 more, I could have had a bigger diamond!" If you can afford the $1000 extra, go for the 1.7 and you know you''ll be happy!
1.gif

anela

Rough_Rock
Funny you ask this because I just went to the International Gem and Jewelry Show this past week to try on some rings (with no intention of buying, of course). I actually tried on alleged H&A, GIA certified 1.52 HSI1 and a 1.54 GSI1 at one booth. Of course there was no size difference that I can see, but I couldn''t really tell the difference in color at all. Then I went to the next booth where I tried on a 1.69 GVS1. Even though I wasn''t comparing it side by side with one of the 1.5''s, I can noticeably tell the difference by the way it looked on my finger. The price difference was about $3,500 more for the 1.69 than the 1.54 (due to increase in size AND clarity). Logically, I should probably go for the 1.52 since it''s about $4,500 less than the 1.69; however, in the back of my mind, I know that my ideal size is 1.7 so I wouldn''t truly be happy with the 1.52. But would I pay that much more? Absolutely not. I would wait to find a stone closer to 1.7 that''s lower in color and clarity so the price difference isn''t as drastic. That way, I get the size I want, plus the color and clarity I could live with.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
if it''s only $1000 then I would definitely get the 1.7 I think you''ll be way happier with it and will finally feel like you have a BIG diamond
2.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
If you can afford the $1000 extra, go for the 1.7! Even if it''s not a huge visual difference like a 1.2 compared to a 1.5, with the 1.7 you know you''ll be happier.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock

You will be so thrilled, and you know what?, you deserve it. There is a noticeable size difference between 1.5 and 1.7, at least to many on this forum. If you go for 1.5, you may second guess the choice.

I think you will really be pleased. You've been so amazing, all your posts are so helpful, informative, open, honest to so many people on PS, just a tremendous resource and I really would love to see a 1.7 for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 2:31:10 PM
Author: gardengloves

You will be so thrilled, and you know what?, you deserve it. There is a noticeable size difference between 1.5 and 1.7, at least to many on this forum. If you go for 1.5, you may second guess the choice.

I think you will really be pleased. You''ve been so amazing, all your posts are so helpful, informative, open, honest to so many people on PS, just a tremendous resource and I really would love to see a 1.7 for you.
Thanks so much for your kind works Gardengloves
emembarrassed.gif
. I do deserve a 1.7
11.gif

But actually I think it is too much a stretch. I had not factored into things the taxes I would have to pay upon import to Canada, and also the cost of a temporary setting. Although it is not *so* much, we have a budget and I think I need to stick to it. It is too easy to "but its only another 500 dollars" yourself into spending much more than you wanted.

So I am back to the proverbial drawing board again
4.gif
I could get into a 1.5ct, but I am just unsure about whether that is worth the money. I would also really like a three-stone with G SI1s!

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, haven''t read through all the pages of this thread... but I haven''t made a comparison of these particular sizes in real life, but to me, the 1.7 does look significantly larger than 1.5. A 1.5 is a lovely size stone, though, so if you don''t want to pay up for the 1.7, I don''t blame you.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 4:05:51 PM
Date: 4/11/2010 2:31:10 PM

Author: gardengloves

I think you will really be pleased. You''ve been so amazing, all your posts are so helpful, informative, open, honest to so many people on PS, just a tremendous resource and I really would love to see a 1.7 for you.

Thanks so much for your kind works Gardengloves
emembarrassed.gif
. I do deserve a 1.7
11.gif

But actually I think it is too much a stretch. I had not factored into things the taxes I would have to pay upon import to Canada, and also the cost of a temporary setting. Although it is not *so* much, we have a budget and I think I need to stick to it. It is too easy to ''but its only another 500 dollars'' yourself into spending much more than you wanted.

So I am back to the proverbial drawing board again
4.gif
I could get into a 1.5ct, but I am just unsure about whether that is worth the money. I would also really like a three-stone with G SI1s!

Ok, here is my two cents, and I do not mean to be pushy, so please excuse me in advance, but I''ve been down this path - it'' s worth the money, 1.5 or 1.7 , either one is worth the money. Later down the line there are so many options once you have a major piece - you can three stone it, halo it, reset it, bezel it or even tension set it, not to mention upgrade it, but its a beautiful significant stone and worth having in hand. I know you love and understand diamonds,- having personally increased size, I can tell you, it''s a rush, and does not disappoint. Looking at it every day will be a joy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results