shape
carat
color
clarity

~1.45 OEC - Got it!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ladies - those little circles seems to have been all the rage when this look was in vogue - so to speak

check out these three from Hattons Antiques in the UK - they all are 8 prong - but have different profiles - all with those circles you ain''t lovin !!

I get the idea that this look originated in the UK - but I am sure someone could made this for you easily - esp. if you don''t need extra stones or fancy bits

as for the double prongs on the angel777 pic - they are so closely joined that they almost look like a single prong

maybe the Stuller can be modified to look like the one you love Heyjudes?? by etching into the middle of the prong??

also it may look high now - but once the prongs fold over they will be a bit shorter

I am no jeweller - but maybe they can be cut down?? the height would be defined by your stone

hattons1.jpg

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
and another

hattons2.jpg

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
the third

hattons3.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ah, right you are Heli...so I guess they are essentially authentic to the period..personally, I would probably
prefer either nothing, or maybe a scroll?

Heyjudes, definitely try BGD - they don''t have an 8 prong in stock, but I would hope they could source something, as with Dreamer''s stock setting...Also try GOG.
Let me know how it goes!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!
36.gif

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/16/2010 8:00:26 AM
Author: arjunajane
ah, right you are Heli...so I guess they are essentially authentic to the period..personally, I would probably

prefer either nothing, or maybe a scroll?

Heyjudes, definitely try BGD - they don''t have an 8 prong in stock, but I would hope they could source something, as with Dreamer''s stock setting...Also try GOG.

Let me know how it goes!

Hey Helio and AJ - I have received a general quote from JBEG which seems more reasonable, but need to clarify a few details. I also started a thread under RT hoping some other good folk over there can help us out.

AJ - I will try BGD and GOG and keep you posted. In the meantime, I will have to keep myself occupied with our visit to David Atlas while PS upgrades tonight/tomorrow.
4.gif

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
DBF and I just left David Atlas'' office not too long ago and can attest to him being an all-around nice guy who also really knows his stuff. After doing a preliminary examination of the center stone in the original setting, we took Dave''s initial assessment and took the stone out of the setting.

We were happy to learn that the stone was pretty close to the seller''s listing information - it weighed out to 1.449 carats and Dave gave it an internal clarity of VS1, which was higher than the seller''s VS2. There are several external blemishes which Dave said could be eliminated with a minimal loss of 0.04 carats.

The color wound up being warmer than the seller quoted us (he said J-K) Dave gave it a Q-R. Once it was removed it from the setting, you could really "see" the stone which Dave called a "light fancy". It really sparkles really nicely even on this dreary day we''ve been having out East.

What else? Let''s see measurements came out to 7.06 x 7.27 x 4.35mm.

Needless to say, we are very happy with out time with Dave who was very easy to work with and answered all my many questions. We showed him the 8 prong design and he said those types of prongs would be bulky and suggested at least 6 prongs to protect the stone and also help cover/protect the blemished areas.

So now we are heading into Philly''s Jeweler''s Row to take a look at some settings to get a better idea of the different types of prongs. I really feel like a noob and want to get more knowledge before deciding on a setting.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 2:59:57 PM
Author: heyjudes
DBF and I just left David Atlas'' office not too long ago and can attest to him being an all-around nice guy who also really knows his stuff. After doing a preliminary examination of the center stone in the original setting, we took Dave''s initial assessment and took the stone out of the setting.

We were happy to learn that the stone was pretty close to the seller''s listing information - it weighed out to 1.449 carats and Dave gave it an internal clarity of VS1, which was higher than the seller''s VS2. There are several external blemishes which Dave said could be eliminated with a minimal loss of 0.04 carats.

The color wound up being warmer than the seller quoted us (he said J-K) Dave gave it a Q-R. Once it was removed it from the setting, you could really ''see'' the stone which Dave called a ''light fancy''. It really sparkles really nicely even on this dreary day we''ve been having out East.

What else? Let''s see measurements came out to 7.06 x 7.27 x 4.35mm.

Needless to say, we are very happy with out time with Dave who was very easy to work with and answered all my many questions. We showed him the 8 prong design and he said those types of prongs would be bulky and suggested at least 6 prongs to protect the stone and also help cover/protect the blemished areas.

So now we are heading into Philly''s Jeweler''s Row to take a look at some settings to get a better idea of the different types of prongs. I really feel like a noob and want to get more knowledge before deciding on a setting.

Congrats for having confirmation on such a beauty! Do you have any pictures of the diamond you can show us?

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
great news Heyjudes!!

although the colour is lower than you expected - I really do think that in these old cuts the resulting flashes you can see in various lights is stunning

my OMC is an M and I love how it goes from vanilla white to sunshine according to the weather outside or the colour of the room I am in

under halogen store lights it flashes rainbows and my friends with white RBs look at my hand in amazement

keep us updated on how you go with the setting

1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Congrats heyjudes that the stone checked out to your satisfaction, I am very happy for you!
Dave sounds like he provides a great service.

btw, I think with all the changes the last couple posts in my thread got lost
7.gif

So just incase you missed it, I mentioned I had gotten a quote from Michael E from Gemshoppe for the 8 prong we both like, and it would be only 1k in all plat, and much less in gold.
I am going to have Michael make my ring, most likely in all YG similar to the RG one from Lang's that I really like.

He will be making it using ready cast findings, which is why the price is so much better.
I have seen him create some very nice work for other PS'ers using findings before, so I am excited
to work with him. He is also very friendly, quick and helpful with emails
5.gif

I wouldn't give up on your 8 prong idea so quickly - perhaps just have them as single instead of split prongs??
I don't believe they will be too bulky, as long as you have someone skilled doing the finishing..based on Michael's reset of Amethyste's Lemon Pear, I can see he does great prongs..
However, I do think going to try on some designs in real life before deciding is definitely the best course of action..

I found this image which I thought may help you too; as you can see the centre stone is set with split prongs, like the other setting you loved..This centre is 8 prong, and the sides are 6, so perhaps you can still do the style of split prong you like but reduce it from 8 to 6?

Either way, congrats again and keep us up to date on the setting hunt!
36.gif

split prongs for heyjudes.jpg

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 1:00:51 AM
Author: arjunajane
Congrats heyjudes that the stone checked out to your satisfaction, I am very happy for you!

Dave sounds like he provides a great service. Judy: He really does AJ, he really does!

btw, I think with all the changes the last couple posts in my thread got lost
7.gif
Judy: I saw it really quickly and then *poof* it disappeared. Until you reposted, I thought I dreamt the whole post.
33.gif

So just incase you missed it, I mentioned I had gotten a quote from Michael E from Gemshoppe for the 8 prong we both like, and it would be only 1k in all plat, and much less in gold. Judy: Is this for the Angel777 design? If so, WOWSERS!!! That is by far and wide the lowest quote

I am going to have Michael make my ring, most likely in all YG similar to the RG one from Lang''s that I really like.

He will be making it using ready cast findings, which is why the price is so much better. Judy: Going to sound paranoid here - does using ready cast findings detract from the sleekness and overall "look" of the design? I''m assuming no given Michael E''s rep, but a girl has to ask.

I wouldn''t give up on your 8 prong idea so quickly - perhaps just have them as single instead of split prongs?? Judy: Are the split prongs what makes them bulky? To be honest, the prongs look very "not" on the stone which is what I liked about them. Can you enlighten me as to why they would come off bulky?"

I don''t believe they will be too bulky, as long as you have someone skilled doing the finishing..based on Michael''s reset of Amethyste''s Lemon Pear, I can see he does great prongs..

However, I do think going to try on some designs in real life before deciding is definitely the best course of action..Judy: Looked all day today - no split prong references to be found.
7.gif
I don''t even know of any specific retailers who would carry such prongs. The only ones I saw today were the straight up wire ones, bezels, claws, and that weird flat squarish one.

I found this image which I thought may help you too; as you can see the centre stone is set with split prongs, like the other setting you loved..This centre is 8 prong, and the sides are 6, so perhaps you can still do the style of split prong you like but reduce it from 8 to 6?Judy: That''s a great idea! Maybe just go with the same style but with 6...do you mind me asking where you got the reference image from?

Either way, congrats again and keep us up to date on the setting hunt!
36.gif
Judy: Thank you AJ!! The only surprise was the color, but it really faces up much whiter and TBH, I love the warmer tone. It was sparkling to me all the way down to Dave''s office and that was in the dreary stormy weather we''ve been having out here. Once out, it was like she had a mind of her own! Just throwing sparkles and light everywhere!!

Thanks to PSers, you and Helio in particular, for putting up with me. I feel like a ton more things have been added to my checklist and unfortunately, 3 hours of trying on a bunch of different settings didn''t get me any closer except to know that I need about 2mm-2.5mm for my band and I need to remember the wedding band. Other than that, you''d be surprised how hard it is to find real in life samples of six and eight prong solitaire settings. I''m researching places to check out in NY so, if I have time next week, DBF and I can go scour the city.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Judy!

Ha ha, no you''re not dreaming..I sincerely hope our posts makes it over to the new site...it''s kind of this weird twilight zone, when I open some threads in the new PS they are only one page long when I know they are really 3 or 4 ! ah well..

So, to answer your questions - I asked Michael for a quote based on the rose gold 8 prong I posted earlier in this thread - it also has a cathedral shank, so apart from the split prongs, it is almost identical to Angel7777''s; perhaps to re-create that one will be a lil bit more $, as the prongs would take more work..but I don''t think too much
5.gif

With regards to using cast findings vs custom handmade - I am not going to say the former is just as good as the latter - obviously custom and handmade are more expensive for a reason. However, I think your question really depends on what jeweller you are using..their skills, integrity, passion and pride in their quality and finish of work. After all, when you think about it most of the "stock" settings offered by PS vendors (and of course B&M jewellers) are usually cast and than hand-finished, so this is not really that different...It does depend on the quality of the findings, and of course the skills of the person soldering/finishing them though.
I think this well help, here is a thread I found with Michael talking about his opinion on this topic: linky

Actually, I was saying I *don''t* think the prongs you chose would look bulky necessarily, if they are finished properly. If you wanted double prongs than yes probably, but split prongs are really just a single prong, split in half - to my knowledge...I don''t want to guess at David''s reason for saying that, sorry. Perhaps you could ask him to elaborate?

Ya, of course - that 3 stone is from Lang Antiques again..link here! You should have a browse through, it''s an awesome place for inspiration!

Oh and I completely hear you on the colour thing when it comes to these old cuts..my AVC ering is an M, and my new OEC is a J / maybe K..I wouldn''t have it any other way. It adds such an extra dimension, and I think helps with those gorgeous pastel colours they show off
30.gif
I''m happy that you''re loving your stone - do you think you will ask the seller for an adjustment considering the difference in colour? Or just leave it..?
btw, where are the real life photos Missy, huh??!
9.gif

I agree, it is odd how scarce 6 and 8 prong settings are, unless it''s a "tiffany style" 6 prong which are everywhere, lol..
Perhaps because it''s a more British thing? *shrugs* Maybe you can go through Pearlman''s site - they have tons of settings..not sure if you live anywhere near them, but I do know they are open to sending out settings for potential clients to try out..

Either way, I am glad to of been of help - and tbh, you have helped me because I never really "saw" 8 prong settings before our discussion - now I''m excited that I will be able to wear my OEC and work with a new great vendor!
36.gif

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
OMG - these pics gave me momentary tourettes. Hubby thinks I''m losing my mind, talking to myself, or at the computer monitor. LOL

Absolutely GORGEOUS!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I love 8 prong settings! I can''t wait to see what you pick!

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
AJ - Whenever you are in the NY area, I owe you a drink! Hell, I owe you at least 2 drinks. It didn't even register for me to ask the seller to adjust the price based on the color discrepancy (which was not a problem at all) until you mentioned it. I figured why not and asked. He stated that it was already discounted, but he was true to his word and gave me an additional $200 off the selling price! Seriously - I think I might have the EBay bargain of 2010.
36.gif

Anyways, let me know - I owe you big time!

I did take a look at Lang's and while I did like the rings, none of them really grabbed me - although they were great in terms of looking at different types of prongs.

Pics are coming. I've been practicing with my camera trying to get my pictures as good as yours - For some reason, there's always some color reflecting in the stone and it's usually my black cat, Doug, since he's always hanging out. Regardless, I will have pictures, but I need to figure out a way to get them onto my computer, since I can't find the cable that allows me to transfer files from my camera to my phone
7.gif

The color is beautiful. It just has a slight tint to it...and she sparkles. The warmer color makes her seem friendlier to me (might just be my imagination).

I think DBF and I will spend the next two, hopefully not longer, weeks looking at settings. He actually mentioned a previous setting we had looked at..the Mark Patterson Crescent Ring so we might go check that out again.

I feel so "Back to Square One" now...

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I highly recommend single stone! They did a beautiful job recutting my ebay OEC which was damaged and poorly cut with minimal weight loss. For an engagement ring I would definitely polish out the abrasions before setting. It costs very little and loses just a teensy bit of weight. I just got to see their settings and pick one out in person and they are so delicate and exquisite in real life. You can't go wrong. I also found the prices to be very fair. Craftsmen of that caliber are few and far between. No way can photos do their settings justice.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 4:36:28 AM
AJ - Whenever you are in the NY area, I owe you a drink! Hell, I owe you at least 2 drinks. It didn''t even register for me to ask the seller to adjust the price based on the color discrepancy (which was not a problem at all) until you mentioned it. I figured why not and asked. He stated that it was already discounted, but he was true to his word and gave me an additional $200 off the selling price! Seriously - I think I might have the EBay bargain of 2010.
36.gif

Anyways, let me know - I owe you big time!

I did take a look at Lang''s and while I did like the rings, none of them really grabbed me - although they were great in terms of looking at different types of prongs.

Pics are coming. I''ve been practicing with my camera trying to get my pictures as good as yours - For some reason, there''s always some color reflecting in the stone and it''s usually my black cat, Doug, since he''s always hanging out. Regardless, I will have pictures, but I need to figure out a way to get them onto my computer, since I can''t find the cable that allows me to transfer files from my camera to my phone
7.gif

The color is beautiful. It just has a slight tint to it...and she sparkles. The warmer color makes her seem friendlier to me (might just be my imagination).

I think DBF and I will spend the next two, hopefully not longer, weeks looking at settings. He actually mentioned a previous setting we had looked at..the Mark Patterson Crescent Ring so we might go check that out again.

I feel so ''Back to Square One'' now...

Hey Judy,

Oh wow, that''s excellent about the $200! What a decent seller, I''m so glad I mentioned it - yay for you!!
36.gif

I don''t currently have plans to visit NY from Australia, unfortunately
7.gif
- but when I do I will be more than happy to take you up on that drink offer - as long as we get to compare rings
9.gif

Looking forward to those pictures, I hope you can find your cable.

The crescent ring is certainly different - I quite like it, however I think certainly one I would want to try before I buy.

Don''t worry too much about feeling perhaps over-whelmed with the setting thing; I think it is a lil bit natural, as with PS we are aware of more variety and given so much more choice than your "average" consumer..
You will know the perfect setting when you see it / try it on - and it''s always better not to rush these things anyway
5.gif

Congrats again on your (now even better) ebay deal!
5.gif

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 10:54:21 PM
Author: kelpie
I highly recommend single stone! They did a beautiful job recutting my ebay OEC which was damaged and poorly cut with minimal weight loss. For an engagement ring I would definitely polish out the abrasions before setting. It costs very little and loses just a teensy bit of weight. I just got to see their settings and pick one out in person and they are so delicate and exquisite in real life. You can''t go wrong. I also found the prices to be very fair. Craftsmen of that caliber are few and far between. No way can photos do their settings justice.

I definitely have Single Stone in mind. Right now, my biggest dilemma is figuring out just which setting I want which, if is anything like my stone purchasing process, could morph and take on a life of its own.
37.gif

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
AJ - yep - very decent seller. It''s been a pleasure working with him, especially after my previous fiasco of a seller.

DBF and I were thinking of going to Asia for part of our honeymoon, when it happens, so maybe we can find some place to meet up in the middle for that drink? Either way, I owe you and you are free to collect whenever it is convenient for you.

We actually did try on the ring a few months ago when we/me were still considering a sapphire. We were looking at the pave crescent version, but with the OEC we would probably go with the plain crescent. Most likely we will go back next week to revisit this setting and check out a few others.

If I''ve learned anything from this whole process, it''s that this stuff takes time..but it works out in the end.
2.gif
I just worry about my DBF''s patience. He really wants to be engaged!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
Hey there Hj

it took me 3 and a half months to choose my JM ering and by that stage my man was threatening to walk into Tiffs and buy the first ring he saw if I did not make up my mind

20.gif

doing some serious "research" before hand can get a little stressful for sure but you will find the one soon

I go to NY a few times each year - so I might have to take you up on that offer there - lucky for you my leg is broken so I can not fly for a while

25.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 4:42:26 AM
AJ - yep - very decent seller. It''s been a pleasure working with him, especially after my previous fiasco of a seller.

DBF and I were thinking of going to Asia for part of our honeymoon, when it happens, so maybe we can find some place to meet up in the middle for that drink? Either way, I owe you and you are free to collect whenever it is convenient for you.

We actually did try on the ring a few months ago when we/me were still considering a sapphire. We were looking at the pave crescent version, but with the OEC we would probably go with the plain crescent. Most likely we will go back next week to revisit this setting and check out a few others.

If I''ve learned anything from this whole process, it''s that this stuff takes time..but it works out in the end.
2.gif
I just worry about my DBF''s patience. He really wants to be engaged!

I think a cocktail in Vietnam, Thailand or Bali would be delightful
18.gif

That is very sweet that your guy is so keen to get engaged.
Fi and I actually got engaged whilst on an ~6 week trip in Thailand
5.gif

If you were to add the diamond crescent, single cuts look lovely with OEC''s
30.gif

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Helio - you let me know when you are in town and we''ll make a fun time of it!

AJ - 6 weeks in Thailand?! What were you doing there? We''ll make it work and I can show you the ring in person

DBF and I were thinking of getting married and then doing a trip around a few places, including a good stopover in Taiwan where my parents are from to have a small reception, Japan, and a few other place. If we could do 4 weeks of a wedding/honeymoon that would be ideal!!
2.gif

I do like the crescent band setting, but I do think the shank is too thin for my fingers. Will check next week and report back.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hi Judes,

Is that a Chinchila in your avatar? I love those furry beauties! Even though I can''t have one because of our 4 cats, I love going to the pet store just to watch them sleep. :)
I am dying to see how yours and AJ''s rings turn out. Sometimes the best part of the process is being in it! I think both of your rings will turn out amazing.
Would you mind sharing with us who your Ebay seller is? It sounds like he/she is a great seller and I would love to shop with them in the future.
Thanks so much!

Zhuzhu

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 5:36:07 AM
Author: zhuzhu
Is that a Chinchila in your avatar? I love those furry beauties! Even though I can''t have one because of our 4 cats, I love going to the pet store just to watch them sleep. :)

Would you mind sharing with us who your Ebay seller is? It sounds like he/she is a great seller and I would love to shop with them in the future.

Happy to answer both questions:
1. Yes, it is a chinchilla. Actually we have 9 chinchillas and 1 cat who is petrified of the chinchillas! All my girls (chinchillas) are either from breeders or rescued animals. To be diplomatic - I am not a fan of the way petstores obtain their chinchillas and they are treated since they are such delicate/unique animals.

2. Happy to share - Valley of Jewels based out in California. He has a 99%+ rating and was nothing but a pleasure to deal with.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 3:05:24 AM
Date: 5/22/2010 5:36:07 AM

Author: zhuzhu

Happy to answer both questions:

1. Yes, it is a chinchilla. Actually we have 9 chinchillas and 1 cat who is petrified of the chinchillas! All my girls (chinchillas) are either from breeders or rescued animals. To be diplomatic - I am not a fan of the way petstores obtain their chinchillas and they are treated since they are such delicate/unique animals.

2. Happy to share - Valley of Jewels based out in California. He has a 99%+ rating and was nothing but a pleasure to deal with.

9 of them? I am Taiwanese too and my other TW friends have at most 4 at a time. You beat them all!!! When you go around for honeymoon travels how do manage to take care of them?

I am not sure if the Pet store treat them bad or not because they are always hiding/sleeping in the balls when I see them. However my friends let theirs run around in the house many hours a day, so yes from freedom''s aspect household pets have much nicer life!

You will have such a hectic time for the reception in Taiwan, please post pictures when you get back!!

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Hey Zhu - when we travel we travel I have a dear friend come take care of them. The chinchillas have very particular needs, so we have our house work around them to a certain extent. They have exceptionally large cages and when they have playtime, they are enclosed in a special playpen to make sure they don''t have access to anything dangerous or damage our home since they chew on everything including wires. We also supervise them just in case.

Petstores don''t treat them as well as they need to be - they have very special diets that they need to follow to say healthy and should have a lot of room to jump around and run around since that is their natural environment. A lot of petstores put them in with plastic which is very bad for them since a lot of them chew the plastic and swallow it.
32.gif

We have a while - we still have to get our setting, get engaged, get married...and then go to Taiwan. I think a year would be the earliest to go back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results