shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone, I thought a new topic would be good.

Has anyone had experience with Stuller? The reason I ask, is someone I know offered to order me a ring from them, since I can''t order it myself. The only thing is, apparently their comfort fit bands are usually cast. The problem with that, is I''ve heard the different ways of making rings, affect the hardness and durability of them. For anyone who has read my other topic, and seen what I''ve said about the ways I''d wear my ring, would the hardness of a cast 18k (or a palladium, since I might buy a palladium ring too, depending on price) ring be ok for me? Or would die-struck be the only acceptable way. It took me long enough to find the ring from stuller, I don''t know if I''d be able to find a die-struck 18k ring in my price range, but I''d rather not have an 18k ring, then have an 18k ring, and a bunch of problems with it.

The second thing is, I''ve heard cast rings sometimes have porosity problem. All I know about porosity, is it means having holes in something. Having holes in your ring sounds bad. So my question is, if anyone has ordered rings from Stuller, have they generally been ok? I''ve heard Stuller makes high quality stuff, so part of me is wondering if they somehow fix porosity problems before selling rings, or if they would just scrap a ring if it had porosity problems, and just make the ring over again? I''m also really hoping this spider goes away, it''s creeping me out. Oh yeah, and also, if there are porosity problems with a ring, besides the question I asked before (if I''d have problems with the way I''d wear the ring) my other question is, would there be problems if I were to engrave the ring later, and set a stone in it? (Both are possible things I''d do with it, so obviously I''d hate to have problems when it came to that step)

Anyway, thanks for any answers, and for all the help you all have given me.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I use Stuller for a lot of stuff and I've never seen significant porosity in any of their pieces. I don't think that their plain bands are cast as single rings, but are probably cut from tubes on a lathe. Stuller's process and quality control are very good and I wouldn't hesitate to use a band from Stuller to do what you want to do.

I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that a cast piece is going to be particularly soft or prone to porosity because that isn't typically the case, particularly with gold alloys. Platinum and palladium can be a challenge, but can still be cast effectively and with good as-cast durability. You need to remember that even forged pieces which are made up from parts still have to be heated significantly in order to solder the pieces together and this heat will anneal and soften the forged parts. The solders used can also show significant porosity at every joint if not chosen and used properly. There's good and bad in both methods and they all depend on the materials and crafts person using them and not so much on the method used. Of course the best of any method takes more thought and time and so costs significantly more than the lowest cost pieces that are floating around...the moral being that if you care about the piece and are going to have it for a long time, don't buy the cheapest thing you can find.

I'm not sure where you'd get a die struck ring of any kind, other than one made up from sheet material and then assembled...these people make a significant part of their goods from die struck metal in this way:
Filigree Rings.com

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks Michael. I was wondering if you could help me get answers to some price questions? I couldn''t find out how to send you a message.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 6:12:31 PM
Author: Aedin
Thanks Michael. I was wondering if you could help me get answers to some price questions? I couldn't find out how to send you a message.
Here is Michael's link to the Gemshoppe... he is awesome to work with, he cut one of my gemstone that I absolutely love.

http://www.gemshoppe.com/

his info is on the first page
2.gif
good luck with your project

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
I meant price questions about rings from Stuller, but thanks.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2009 6:54:14 PM
Author: Aedin
I meant price questions about rings from Stuller, but thanks.
Sure Aedin, my e-mail address is [email protected] Drop me a note and I''ll get right back to you.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks, I e-mailed you.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive sold,worn,relied on Stuller jewelry and jewelry parts for years and would always recommend their quality and service.There where many times they got me out of trouble with hard to work with customers.Sold countless bands from Stuller and never had a problem.

fastleslie

Rough_Rock
I''ve purchased a stuller band (anniversary style), and love it! I''ve had it for 6 years now.
Also had some custom work done on it.

Stuller01.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had a YG Stuller ring for a couple of years now. No problems with it. It''s not a 24/7 ring but that''s because it''s got a Garnet in it.

HTH

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had several pieces from Stuller and never had a problem. I have been very happy with the quality of the pieces as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results