carat
color
clarity

Graduated 5 stone proportions

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has a graduated 5 stone ring, with a .70ct as the centre? I am thinking of resetting my 3 stone ring into a 5 stone. My current ring is a .70 flanked by two .35ct, all round brilliant.

My 'dilemma' is this...I have studs which match beautifully with my e-ring stones, but I worry that the proportions will be a bit bung eyed. My centre stone is 5.73mm, the studs are 5.3mm and 5.2mm, and the existing side stones in the ring are 4.61 and 4.65. Ideally I would add the studs in for a final ring with proportions 4.61, 5.3, 5.73, 5.2, 4.65. My concern is that the studs are too close in size to the centre, and deviate too much from the outer stones. Or am I way overthinking it, and will it make a negligible difference at stones this size?

Either I look around for a couple of 5.2mm stones to put between the centre and sides, which realistically will take a lot longer (of course I am prepared to be patient to get a more beautiful result) or get some much smaller ones, say 3.5mm or so, and put them on the outer edge of the existing 3, leaving my studs as is.

Thoughts, or feedback? My head is spinning! :D:D First world problems, eh?

I hope everyone has had a great festive season and new year!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my ering, as a matter of interest. I love it but am hankering for something 'blingier', and stacking bands with it just ain't cutting the mustard :rodent: Plus I am planning to scale my jewellery collection right down and change over to rose gold, which is the other reason for a reset.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SmallEternity5.JPG
Oops, pic would help

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't. Change. ANYTHING! Those proportions for a 5 stone are PERFECT!

I learnt a LOT when I had my 7 stone ring made - then remade. The main thing was - the sides flanking the center stone need to be close in size to the center stone - but the outer stones need to drop down more. This gives you a lovely, more curved tapered look. If, on the other hand, it graduates completely evenly (which is what mine did originally), it looks far less curved, and MUCH more of a stark diamond shape. I've attached a photo of what the overall shape is if you strip away the detail, and use evenly graduated stones.

When I did mine, I did even graduation, but it just wasn't doing it, to my eye. So then I re-did it, making the graduation at the end steeper and the stone in the center smaller. It's WAY better. Keep in mind, due to parallax error, your center stone - being closer to the eye - will look larger than it is anyway, so an even graduation will will look 'off' and the center stone will look larger anyway - even if all 5 stones were exactly the same size.

It's late where I currently am, but I'll see if I can get some shots of my ring in the morning. Good luck with this; 5 and 7 stone rings stand or fall on their proportions. Most, in my opinion, fall.

Diamond shaped_a.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DanDiAnDi - here's my ring after it was remade. And down the bottom are two before it was remade. I think the final version (the 'above' photos) is FAR nicer. Keep in mind that the graduation in the original ring (lower photos) was 100% even. Doesn't look it, tho, and was a mistake; the center stone looked out-of-proportion large, compared to the other stones.

20180103_101753_resized.jpg
20180103_101733_resized.jpg

20180103_101724_resized.jpg 20170831_133334_resized.jpg

And here's two before I had it remade. The difference is subtle, but obvious, and in real life was more pronounced still. The final proportions were almost identical to the 5 stones you currently have.

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, mrs-b you are AMAZING. Thank you SO much for taking the time to post what you did! That is so, so helpful. And you articulated exactly what I was trying to say, that the centre stone can look out of proportion if it's too big in relation to the two flanking it. I see exactly what you mean in your comparison pics. Thank you thank you!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel made a graduated 5 stone from her original engagement ring stone, which I think was under or around 1ct (?) some time ago before she got her stunning old cut. I haven't time to search her threads at the mo, but have a look & see if you can find it. Hopefully she'll see this & pop a picture up for you. It was a beauty!

Mrs B's is a beauty. Those extra two stones really change the look & presence. It's a fabulous idea!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel made a graduated 5 stone from her original engagement ring stone, which I think was under or around 1ct (?) some time ago before she got her stunning old cut. I haven't time to search her threads at the mo, but have a look & see if you can find it. Hopefully she'll see this & pop a picture up for you. It was a beauty!

Mrs B's is a beauty. Those extra two stones really change the look & presence. It's a fabulous idea!
Funny story that mrb wasn’t my original e ring stone either (I’ve got a problem Alex!!)

And yes I have a few threads that might be helpful in regards to choosing proportions. My stone was .84 so just over 6mm. I’ll get those links for you

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to say - I LOVE Niel's 5 stone - and when she had it up for sale, I more-than-considered buying it. But it's a very different style; the center stone is the star, and the other sides (as with Yssie's 5 stone beauty also) emphasize the center stone, rather than making a band with an even flow from side to side. So it really depends what you want, and neither ring will scratch all itches because they present as 2 quite different looks. I have to say tho, I had actually decided to buy Niel's ring and started scrambling around for funds - and missed, by about 48 hours. But even if I had bought it, I would still have done my 7 stone, given how different the two are.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Alex! I do adore Niel's ring, it is perfection isn't it?? Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Niel, admittedly, your ring is the one that has inspired me most to pursue this project...it is exactly the look I want, though I know your centre stone is larger than mine. I have loved it ever since I laid eyes on it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Alex! I do adore Niel's ring, it is perfection isn't it?? Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Niel, admittedly, your ring is the one that has inspired me most to pursue this project...it is exactly the look I want, though I know your centre stone is larger than mine. I have loved it ever since I laid eyes on it!

@DanDiAnDi -

I just read your above post and wanted to come back quickly and say - if Niel's look is what you're after, I definitely wouldn't use the stones you have. I was after a more even, less tapered band - not something that looked more e-ring-ish. On the up-side tho - you have small fingers, yes? I believe Niel's 5 stone was either a size 7 or a 7.5. and her center stone was a .83ct. So your .7 will probably give you the same look. You'd need different sides, but I'm sure the .7 would work as a center that would give you the same look. If you look up the proportions of Niel's sides, you could scale down your sides to perfectly mimic her ring. I know her sides weren't huge, so if yours were scaled down, I suspect you could get appropriate sides for not tooooo much $$.

Good luck! I will love seeing where this project heads!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DanDiAnDi -

I just read your above post and wanted to come back quickly and say - if Niel's look is what you're after, I definitely wouldn't use the stones you have. I was after a more even, less tapered band - not something that looked more e-ring-ish. On the up-side tho - you have small fingers, yes? I believe Niel's 5 stone was either a size 7 or a 7.5. and her center stone was a .83ct. So your .7 will probably give you the same look. You'd need different sides, but I'm sure the .7 would work as a center that would give you the same look. If you look up the proportions of Niel's sides, you could scale down your sides to perfectly mimic her ring. I know her sides weren't huge, so if yours were scaled down, I suspect you could get appropriate sides for not tooooo much $$.

Good luck! I will love seeing where this project heads!
Yes I fully agree you could easily replicate this look with using the same proportions scaled down for your stone and yes it was a 7.25 size . But yes my 6mm stone And I used .32s and .15s as my two sets of sides. (Each ) so using your own studs will definitely give you a different look. Not better or worse but it wouldn’t give you that 5 stone look like my old one.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had save this a year or two ago and can't find the original post to give the PSer credit but perhaps this will help you in deciding what you want for proportions.

graduated.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b my fingers are 5.75, so hopefully enough space for all stones! I need to try and do a mock up of sizes I think. The mind boggles! I think I'd still be happy with a less graduated look. Or maybe I just 'need' a larger centre stone

Thanks again @Niel , I really need to have a chat to jeweller and see what he thinks too, maybe unmounting the stones and having them lined up would solve my dilemma.

Wow Lookinagain! Those pics are delish! Thanks for taking the time to share.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like both kinds of graduation. I don’t think you will go wrong with either. Using your current stones will be amazing. I remember a mini version someone posted with a .50 center. Loved her graduation choice. It was a whiteflash ring pretty sure and I remember the name panda something. Or maybe it was bee. Pandabee? I’m going to try and find it because it was beautiful and I always thought if I make one I will use her percentages

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh just adding that I always loved Niels basket setting too. Simple classic and elegant. I’ve also been eyeing the CVB Norah and she makes that in a five stone too. Just mentioning since your old setting is six prong.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@thecat how I adore that ring Thank you for that, I thought it may have been hers but wasn't sure.

@hathalove you managed to articulate what I've been feeling! As much as I love love love Niel's ring, I feel it's more the '5 stone' look I am after, more than a particular type or gradient of graduation. Thank you for recommending the Norah, I'll check it out.

I'm in Australia so as much as I would dearly love a PS vendor to set my stones for me, I'm a bit nervous shipping them away, and probably favour my local guy for that reason.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
D9319464-5350-49A1-B2E3-E9D92D3CE646.jpeg
Ok so did a little digging. I LOVE this ring. It’s graduated but sutble and I love that. I was thinking of doing this with a 50-70 center and have this slight graduation so changing the side stones as needed. Didn’t realize hers was a .30 center. Looks so great on her finger. Call me crazy! It was bumblebees ring by the way. Lol. .30 .20s .15s

I guess my point is your stones would look amazing no need for a bigger Center!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous! How did I miss this?? Love the proportions on this too.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a wee update, my ring and studs are with my jeweller, and he is doing some CADs for me to look at before going ahead, they should be ready to view this week. Exciting!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the mm sizes you went with??

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel I went with the original stones I have, being 4.61, 5.3, 5.73, 5.2, 4.65. I was a bit unsure about the centre being too close in size to the next two out from it, but everything @mrs-b said was absolutely right, that the softer gradient from the centre with smaller outer stones creates a lovely graduation. I'm sure it would look fantastic with a larger centre (11 year anniversary perhaps? :D) but in all I am very happy with it.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DanDiAnDi - Thanks for the update! The ring looks so pretty! I like the detail of how the shoulders look. Will the band underneath the diamonds be zigzagging, or curved? The reflections look pointy, but I know that CADs can be tricky. I think it’s special that these were all your diamonds that you’re having set! I am planning on a 5 stone (maybe 3 stone?) anniversary ring later this year, and I’m watching this thread closely! Can’t wait to see the finished ring on your finger! Those end stones look to be a nice height—not high off the finger.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
engagementringvaluation.jpg
@KristinTech the band under the setting is curved, it has a scalloped look the whole way along. I know it is tricky to tell in the pics! This is my original ring, you can see it a bit better in this pic.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I see the design much better on that ring. How exciting for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results