shape
carat
color
clarity

can you make a graduated 5 stone with a 6mm stone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would the second set be too small? I'd assume with a 6mm stone you'd go 6mm, 4.5mm, 3mm? Or would that ratio not allow for much obvious size differences? I'd want to be able to tell they are decreasing I'm size. Also, I'm assuming the ratio should be the same from center to first set, first set to second.... is that correct? Would the visual impact be worth the extra effort compared to just a three stone?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I don't see why not. You might look through the 5 stone ring thread and see if there's any with similar center posted there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1366139304|3428277 said:
I don't see why not. You might look through the 5 stone ring thread and see if there's any with similar center posted there.

I've looked I can't seem to find one similar. I thought someone got one from WF a year or so ago but I can't find the thread. My FI thinks I'd be happier with a 5 stone instead of one stone in a halo, I suspect him right, but I don't know of its plausible.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Look up hawaiianorangetrees post on this. She had a 1 ct center I believe and hers turned out amazing.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4|1366141781|3428302 said:
Look up hawaiianorangetrees post on this. She had a 1 ct center I believe and hers turned out amazing.

Oh- her's is one of my all time FAV 5 stones!

Niel-

here's a set of them that were posted in teh SMTB archives:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-2[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-five-stone-rings.36892/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-five-stone-rings.36892/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-5-stone-rings.100433/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-5-stone-rings.100433/[/URL]

maybe something will come up.

I would say, it's not a bad idea, BUT, I would also say wait until you know what your final center size is going to be, or how big you may need to go. (I'd go to some jewelry stores and try some on to get a feel for size.) I feel somewhat similarly. I like the finger coverage of a 5 stone but halos are always my first love.

Next question is if you make a 5 stone out of a less than 1 ct center (I believe there is a thread on that somewhere or something similar) then would you be able to keep your pear also since you wouldn't have to save up for a larger solitaire? And then you can have your cake and eat it too, as they say? I don't personally feel there is anything wrong with 2 rings especially if you are the kid of person that just needs variety. Some people do (me included).

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1366142865|3428317 said:
Wholly cow that's just stunning! I wonder what the ratio is for that. I'll have to do some research, I don't know what mm .4 ct stones are.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-stone-graduated-trellis-from-bgd.170896/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-stone-graduated-trellis-from-bgd.170896/[/URL]

Probably around 4.6-4.7mm. My earring are 4.5 and right about .34 each.

I have that ring saved on my phone and sigh over it every other week. :lickout:

here's the 3-stones with under 1ct centers. That ought to give you some ideas on proportion. There's even a pic of someone wearing one with a rolling ring to help you visualize that as well.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/three-stone-girls-with-one-carat-or-less-center-stones.171469/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/three-stone-girls-with-one-carat-or-less-center-stones.171469/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I will be going to try them in, because I need to see how they pair will my trinity band, see if they look as good together as that ritani setting does. Yes, my mind isn't fully made up just because my wants and my FI feelings about the ring aren't exactly the same. I know he wants me to get a ring I could upgrade down the line, but he hasn't decided if down the line is one year or 7 :lol:

I lovey halo with my pear, but I've always been concerned a halo is too popular.... same reason I'm looking at 5 stone instead of 3.... also because of my fat digits. Lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1366143578|3428329 said:
Yes I will be going to try them in, because I need to see how they pair will my trinity band, see if they look as good together as that ritani setting does. Yes, my mind isn't fully made up just because my wants and my FI feelings about the ring aren't exactly the same. I know he wants me to get a ring I could upgrade down the line, but he hasn't decided if down the line is one year or 7 :lol:

I lovey halo with my pear, but I've always been concerned a halo is too popular.... same reason I'm looking at 5 stone instead of 3.... also because of my fat digits. Lol

HOnestly, if you like halos then like them and don't worry about people and styles and popularity. They, like anything else are going to wax and wane. There are plenty of halo examples from the Victorian Era, Art Deco and so forth. They'll never go away. They will just be more or less popular with time like other styles of ring. I will always love halos, but that doesn't mean I won't get tired of having one as an ering one day and want to change it. Worry about that if/when it happens. Just love it for what it is for now and as an expression of where things are right now.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean, I just like things with twist. That's why I was very comfortable with a pear halo. Very common, but with a twist. Rounds don't have much twist, though the plain shank is different, so its still a possibility. But like a three stone, common. 5stone to me is like a three stone, with a twist.

So that's one reason my fi suggested it. The other reason is he know my biggest concern about my pear is the fire factor. So he says adding larger side stones will give me more sparkle than my halo. And I'm include to agree with him. Who knew he was so smart about these things Haha. Plus, my sister and family all have large diamonds, so he knows I get self conscious about it around them.... he says 5 stones can stand up well to larger solitaires. :D I think he also just wants me to find something and life it instead of keel changing for the next year or two

Thanks bcat for all the help these are actually really really REALLY helpful. Those 3 stones seem like I probably want the first set to be somewhere between 25 and 40 points. The 25 seem almost too small and the 40 seem almost too big.. I guess we will see.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1366144700|3428342 said:
I know what you mean, I just like things with twist. That's why I was very comfortable with a pear halo. Very common, but with a twist. Rounds don't have much twist, though the plain shank is different, so its still a possibility. But like a three stone, common. 5stone to me is like a three stone, with a twist.

So that's one reason my fi suggested it. The other reason is he know my biggest concern about my pear is the fire factor. So he says adding larger side stones will give me more sparkle than my halo. And I'm include to agree with him. Who knew he was so smart about these things Haha. Plus, my sister and family all have large diamonds, so he knows I get self conscious about it around them.... he says 5 stones can stand up well to larger solitaires. :D I think he also just wants me to find something and life it instead of keel changing for the next year or two

Thanks bcat for all the help these are actually really really REALLY helpful. Those 3 stones seem like I probably want the first set to be somewhere between 25 and 40 points. The 25 seem almost too small and the 40 seem almost too big.. I guess we will see.

No problem! I love to prowl those threads and soak up the pretty pics! :bigsmile:

As for halos versus solitaires. My OEC is bigger than the stone in my halo, but with the stone and melee together it's pretty much all sparkle all the time and the halo ALWAYS gets noticed! Never underestimate the power of a well cut melee stone! :razz:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Gosh I love a five stone! Can't wait to see what you decide.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. But my halo, if i did it, WOULD be that ritani. And though very well cut melee. They are half pointers and very tiny! I'm certain 40/15 pointers would definitely quench my fire thirst :lickout:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a sizable eternity instead of a ring with a clear centerstone? Unique, totally different from the Giant Rock look so you avoid those sorts of comparisons, will pair beautifully with your rolling ring, and is wearable over a lifetime no upgrades needed - it'll always hold its own, and it's the perfect signifier of all "stages" of a relationship IMO..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had. But as much as I want to be unique, I can't break away from in my head what looks like an engagement ring. Same reason I had wanted a colored stone but changed my mind. I love them and they are lovely. But to me I know if be disappointed if it didn't feel at least a little "engagement" to me...I guess I'm not as unique as I think I am.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1366146995|3428376 said:
I had. But as much as I want to be unique, I can't break away from in my head what looks like an engagement ring. Same reason I had wanted a colored stone but changed my mind. I love them and they are lovely. But to me I know if be disappointed if it didn't feel at least a little "engagement" to me...I guess I'm not as unique as I think I am.

My graduated fivestone feels very "engagementy" to me so I'd guess you're fine on that front then!
I'd probably do 6mm-4mm-3mm to create a more concave graduation though -
prof.png

Centerstone in bezel/halo with sides? Round center, first pair of sidestones RBs and second pair pears? Just throwing other stuff out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha these are all things I've been thinking too! I like the idea of it being concave, I'm just worried how visually impactful 3mm is. I do t want it to look like melee.

As for the halo, I've always worried that would look gaudy.

The pears I thought of too! Would be very cool, but the stone I found is a k, and a k pest might be too yellow? I dunno.

Any other ideas?? I really appreciate them!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1366147862|3428388 said:
Niel|1366146995|3428376 said:

My graduated fivestone feels very "engagementy" to me so I'd guess you're fine on that front then!
I'd probably do 6mm-4mm-3mm to create a more concave graduation though -
prof.png

Centerstone in bezel/halo with sides? Round center, first pair of sidestones RBs and second pair pears? Just throwing other stuff out.

Ive always been in love with your ring! one of the reason i wanted a5 stone actually. I told somebody else on SMTB that it would be a nice way to set a ring to look a little less engagementy, but to me, its exactly the amount of "engagement" i want my ring to say!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
No comments on the ring. Your so sure has lots of opinions .... Mine will just say "whatever you like but please sto talking through. Me about rings. I don't care."

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1366162583|3428561 said:
No comments on the ring. Your so sure has lots of opinions .... Mine will just say "whatever you like but please sto talking through. Me about rings. I don't care."

:lol: :lol: Mine started off saying that, but i wouldnt stop. I think he thinks if he contributes ill shut up faster!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

Your hubs sounds more like the general male populace, but it's not unheard of for a guy to have and make good observations on jewelry.

My hubs has most definite opinions on jewelry, and generally has very good taste in most aspects (except casual clothes, where he truly needed my help). He often sees or thinks of things I don't when I am looking at something (being a little less biased) and I truly value his opinion. Perhaps even one day his sensibility will rub off one me! And it works both ways. I've got him wearing a RHR now! :D He even has TWO, not just one (so he can switch out)! BUAH-HA-HA! :lol: :devil:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1366163141|3428570 said:

:lol: :lol: Mine started off saying that, but i wouldnt stop. I think he thinks if he contributes ill shut up faster!

No no! You want to draw him in....make him interested! :bigsmile: Ask leading questions...."hubs...I need your true and valued opinion....." :halo: SLowly work him in to it...soon he'll be wearing a RHR too! (And cuff links, and cool antique tie-tacks....)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
he has been getting more interested, I had him looking for his wedding band. Of course he picks the most expensive ring, but what can you do... I told him to find something he loves.

file_1112.jpg

i like the 70-76 % ones. so i for me that would probably be 4.2-4.5 mm which makes me think about 30-35 pointers would be the way to go. but then, i guess should probably be 3 mm. What size is 3mm? And would that look too small? like melee or something?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I think the proportions on that JbEG are perfect if you like pears on the ends - the pears look like endstones, they aren't overpowering but they aren't accents either.
OTOH I think the colour gradient in a K/L pear would drive me a bit nutty - and with pears that uneven distribution of colour is so common...

ETA here you go :devil:
file.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. My number one concern with the pears isn't how they would match shape wise, but color wise. I'm not color sensitive, but even my h sometimes has noticeable body color at the tip, when its so clearly white in the center. Color doesn't bother me, but I was surprised to see that much body color in an h.
My other minor concern, though color is the main one, is that for me, I like side pears best when the spread is such that the tips meet the side of the ring. I don't know what its called, but the in between of your two fingers. I like how it looks like they are just fading away. On my size 7 finger I think they would just end and then you would see metal on top of your finger before it starts to wrap down to the side. When that happens the pears don't seem to be as flattering

Oh! Is that ring on PS? I'd love to see a top view! Your ideas are dangerous. :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the middle best too. Allows the second set to be a little larger while still having an obvious size difference.

I do like the first one too though. Hmmmm

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to comment I'm loving this thread. I just bought a 6.8 mm sapphire and was trying to decide if I should do a three stone or a five stone ring. I like the proportions on the middle as well. I'll start my own thread so I don't thread-jack yours. I need help with the sidestones. Love this style of ring ladies! Yssie yours is drop dead gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results