shape
carat
color
clarity

Packrat's five stone AVC ring project

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Comparison pic of the .43 center and a .55 center...I'm still drawn to the .43 center. I like the idea of a bigger center and higher carat weight ring, since the .43 center proportions will be smaller than the smallest range I had originally wanted of 1.25-1.5tcw but..beggars can't be choosers yes? The .55 center is quite a bit higher in price (It's a G, whereas the other is a J so I'm sure that's part of the price, and I'm not sure how long it will be before a bigger J or K comes in), and if I decide to semi bezel, I think it wouldn't look right w/a bigger center.

Won't be long now!!

Plus, I have an idea for a band of AVR's now too, for a RHR so..yeah..my husband is going to WRING MY NECK.

ETA..course now that I've been staring at it for so long I think hmmm..maybe I can wait until a bigger J/K comes..GAH!

321190_10150398591284449_123076079448_8236166_1261207133_n.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am SHOCKED that I prefer the larger one but I do.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so HARD! Bah. Ame, after I posted the picture I was just staring at them and started reconsidering..Now I don't know what to do. I asked Jonathan on FB how long it might be before a J/K in the .5 range comes in..I could always get the other four and wait.

I want to make sure it's enough that I don't start thinking I wish I'd have gotten bigger..tho really, even one of the .12's is way bigger than the stone in the ring he proposed with..so I shan't quibble.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am new to this thread, but I just want to say what a beautiful five stone ring these stones will make! Personally I don't see that much of a visual difference between the .43 center and the .55 center so I would stick with the smaller one. I have a three stone semi-bezel ring myself (rounds) and I think that design would be incredible for your graduated five stone design. What a fun wonderful project!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I see a big visual difference between the two, but I prefer the smaller one (which shocks me) :cheeky:

Eitherway, it will be gorgeous!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the smaller center stone, I like the proportions of those 5 stones together better.

vsc

Shiny_Rock
I like either the larger center, or bigger outer stones.

In the initial lineup there is a .7mm difference between center and middle stones, and .9 mm between middle and outer stones. I'm wondering if that difference should be even?

So increase center by .2mm or increase outer stones by .2mm? Which one you pick really depends on how pronounced you want the overall "slope" to be.

Either way, the stones are gorgeous, and I can't wait to see the end product!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR they are both stunning. My initial thought was the larger set.. :naughty: But the flow of the smaller set seems to fit together for me better.... Toss up for sure! Sorry no help.

Im working on a five stone too...but decided to go with all the same.... I am loving watching your and Yassie's threads :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either way they're both nice. You really can't go wrong.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I like the larger set, but that might be due to the facet structure is more to my liking than the smaller center set.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smaller center stone. I think somewhere you said you didn't want it to look like an e-ring with sidestones, right? I just like the proportions of the smaller one better with the other stones.

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
I like the proportions of the smaller combination - :wink2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too like the smaller combo and the way the stones flow together. If I were using a larger center stone, I would want smaller side stones to make it look more like an ering. Otherwise, I like the look of the smaller center stone better.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh I wish this were easier. I'm going to reserve the four today...I don't want to mix the .55 G with the side K's, and I prefer the shape of the .43 over the .55, but I, right now, like the graduation itself more on the bottom set..tho I'm still not 100% sure either way. I thought for sure it would be an immediate "I like X set better" when I looked at the pic. I'll see if Jonathan can find out how long it will be before a bigger J/K comes in and just keep tossing it around in my head!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I don't know!

On first look I like the smaller set better. On second look I'm not sure I'd see all that much difference IRL... on third look I'm leaning toward the bigger centre...

packrat|1321021908|3059578 said:
Ugh I wish this were easier. I'm going to reserve the four today...I don't want to mix the .55 G with the side K's, and I prefer the shape of the .43 over the .55, but I, right now, like the graduation itself more on the bottom set..tho I'm still not 100% sure either way. I thought for sure it would be an immediate "I like X set better" when I looked at the pic. I'll see if Jonathan can find out how long it will be before a bigger J/K comes in and just keep tossing it around in my head!

Yeah - I would definitely not want this either.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in Yssie! Surprising what a difficult decision it is..and I'm massively indecisive to begin with..I've gone back and forth too many times to count.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well I"ve been pondering about the larger or smaller center, and once on the finger, I don't know if it would really visually make a difference so from the sound of it, maybe you are leaning more towards the larger center but if it was a J/K color you'd snap it up :naughty: ... Go larger I think you'll be really happy that you did::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1321032649|3059678 said:
Thanks for weighing in Yssie! Surprising what a difficult decision it is..and I'm massively indecisive to begin with..I've gone back and forth too many times to count.

Haha yes, I'm sure my commentary was very helpful to you :halo:

On fourth look... I'm back to liking the smaller set, I think. The bottom looks like centre + sides, the top looks like five-stone - I personally prefer the centre + sides look, but if you're going for Five Stone then I do think the smaller set is a better match. But with the stones wrapping around your finger I'm not even sure that such a small difference will be visibly distinct...?

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely liking the smaller stone better for the 5-stone look, but like others have said, you can't go wrong as they would both be beautiful!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I like the smaller graduation too! Which is very suprising to me :cheeky:

Both are beautiful though! Good luck with your decision, I think either are going to be fabulous on your hand!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had originally wanted a slight graduation, but then after seeing the comparison I started liking that look too..Ideally, I would like a center a liiitle bigger than the .42 and a liiitle smaller than the .55-not caring about the weight of it, just the mm size. I tried making little cut outs again today and kept messing up so I got mad and gave up. The cut outs that I managed to get when I lined them up seemed like the .42 center was awful close in size to the .25's and then there was a noticeable difference between the .25's and the .12's..if the .12's were just a shade bigger, I think that set would be perfect. And in the bigger set, if the center were a bit smaller I don't think it would look so much like a center and sides.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been thinking of doing a setting that highlights the graduation, like this semi bezel (I forget whose it is, sorry!), if it could be fairly open on the sides and not all metal, the metal just being on the girdles around. Also similar to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Five-Stone-Diamond-Ring-0-65ct-18CT-White-Gold-/290611806883?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item43a9d042a3 Or I'd just do a U prong so I can see the sides of the stones..tho I think the others would protect the stones more..

P1010652(1).JPG

P1010655(1).JPG

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the smaller center because the graduation is more subtle and looks less "center with side stones." Also the G color is too white to go with the J-K color you have IMO. I also really like the idea of a semi bezel, I have a picture of another PS'ers bezel set ring that has metal on the girdle so you can see the cutlet. I don't know who this ring belongs to but I love it and I hope the lucky owner doesn't mind me sharing it. I know the design would have to be modified to make it work for your ring but it would look so pretty!

milgrain 3 stone.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mrs. W! I did end up deciding on a slightly larger center, so am waiting on something in the J/K .5x range. Is that ring..Pixley's maybe? Pixie? Shoot I can't remember either..JbEG's Julia bezeled three stone tho right? It is very pretty..I love bezels so much!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
bump, just curious what your plans are? :)) or if things changed
I am excited for you!!
the semi bezel is gorgeous!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Skippy! There are new stones coming in next week I believe, so I've got my fingers crossed there's some goodies for me! I'm actually tossing around some different ideas that I emailed Jonathan about this morning. Sometimes I wish I didn't get so obsessive and anxious that I'm going to decide on something and then later wish I'd decided on something else.
1-increase ends to .15's, do .42 center, use the .11's for a 7 or 9 stone wedding band, or sell them and do a wedding band of .15's
2-increase ends to .15's, center closer to .5, same wedding band ideas as above
3-nix the graduated band and do five .25's for ering and same wedding band ideas as above

I want to get it right and not feel like ohhh dangit I wish I'd gone bigger for whatever part of it. But I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. But I am ok w/doing the five stone, graduated or not, this year and waiting until next year to do the wedding band.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1325951928|3097263 said:
Hey Skippy! There are new stones coming in next week I believe, so I've got my fingers crossed there's some goodies for me! I'm actually tossing around some different ideas that I emailed Jonathan about this morning. Sometimes I wish I didn't get so obsessive and anxious that I'm going to decide on something and then later wish I'd decided on something else.
1-increase ends to .15's, do .42 center, use the .11's for a 7 or 9 stone wedding band, or sell them and do a wedding band of .15's
2-increase ends to .15's, center closer to .5, same wedding band ideas as above
3-nix the graduated band and do five .25's for ering and same wedding band ideas as above

I want to get it right and not feel like ohhh dangit I wish I'd gone bigger for whatever part of it. But I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. But I am ok w/doing the five stone, graduated or not, this year and waiting until next year to do the wedding band.

My 2c - I don't like #3 at all - I think the band will overpower the five .25s from face-up, but I also think the five .25s won't reach as far across your finger horizontally, so there'll be a mismatch in terms of the band being significantly deeper/higher off your finger at the sides of your finger (where it meets third finger and pinky I mean). Unless you have a very, very, very deep/high shank of the same depth as 10pointers I guess?

Untitled-2%20copy_1.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Yssie are you like a computer guru or what? That is so awesome, thank you so much! I'm completely back to the beginning, liking the smaller center again, the .42, and I really like it w/the ends increased .05, the one on the bottom left. Would you do a wedding band w/the .11's then or would you do it the same size as the ends of the five stone? That bottom left, that's *exactly* the same graduation I had wanted in the beginning, very slight. I'm going to email it to Jonathan. Big smoochies and love to you Yssie, thank you!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
New to this thread and just want to say this ring is going to be stunning. In Yssie's image, I'm liking the original set up with the +.05 ends.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem Packy! That's my favourite too - the bottom left :love:

I'd probably do a plain band actually, so I'm not much help, I know! I do think sizable stones might be just too much, unless you don't plan to wear them together...?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results