shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your family heirloom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks seven's
The ring was given to me by my grandmother and it was my great grandmother's ering. It has 68 single cuts in the fillagree setting and on the sides there are pretty bows outlined in diamonds. I don't have the total carat weight, but think the three main stones are about 2.50 tcw. I just adore this ring and love to wear it on very special occassions. My grandmother is 94 years old and still going strong. She will be thrilled that we posted it. She loves to hear all the PS stories!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
heirloomrings1.jpg

Let''s see if this worked! If it did, on the left, here''s my grandmother''s engagment ring, from 1929. It''s a transition cut, F/G, VS1, approx. 1.4 carats, with single-cut melee and a pair of marquises.

On the right, only the stone is an heirloom. It''s my other grandmother''s OEC from 1921, K/L, SI2 (with the inclusion hidden under a prong), approx. 1.65 carats, set in a reproduction mounting.

I much prefer the cut on the K/L, but I adore the setting on the F/G and prefer the color.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
OMG Glitterata those are two beautiful rings! I have never seen the transitional or OEC cuts in person and they look fairly similar in the photos -- what do you see are the differences between the two cuts?

I can''t decide which ring I love more! Lucky you!
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
dorothysharp.jpg

dorothyring.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures of Grandma''s engagment ring from 1929.

I love to wear it and think of my sweet, smart, beautiful grandmother.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
glitterata.....i am seriously soooo in love with both of those rings
3.gif

oh, they are just beautiful. dreamy for sure
3.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oops, Cath, we were posting at the same time.

OECs, or old European cuts, have big, square or diamond-shaped flashes of light, while modern round brilliant cuts have thinner needlelike flashes of light. Transitions are in between. I love the big flat flashes in my OEC. Also, it''s just better cut for what it is than the transition cut is cut for what it is, if that makes sense. The transition has a very big table and leaks a lot of light. The OEC is a brighter, happier stone, though yellower.

Thanks for your kind words about my rings. I know I''m very lucky to have them, along with the memories they carry.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
glitterata-

Thanks so much for sharing those two beautiful treasures!!! I''m sure you wear them both with such pride!

I have to ask, who made the repro mounting for your oec? my inherited omc would love such a wonderful home!

Thanks!!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The repro setting comes from Antiqueengagementrings.com.

Thanks for the compliments!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
kaleigh and glitterata, i love both of your rings!! such beautiful pieces
1.gif

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info, Glitterata. I definitely understand the difference in cut quality. Your pictures just reaffirm for me that I really need to see some of these antique cut stones in person -- if they look pretty in pictures, I can''t imagine how gorgeous they must be in real life!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2005 5:19
6.gif
0 PM
Author: sevens one
Here''s is Kaleigh''s Grandmother''s beautiful ring.
It is simply stunning. Unfortunately I was not able to ''capture'' it the way it ''needed'' to be.
30.gif
wow kaleigh! your ring is beautiful!! good taste runs in your family i see! you are one lucky girl (but we knew that already!)
tell your grandmother ''hi'' for me!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kim!!!
Glitterata your rings are gorgeous too!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks belle,
I will be sure to tell her how everyone liked it. She gave it to me about 10 years ago and I just love it. I will give it to my daughter when the time comes. She is only 16, so she's gonna have to wait a while!!
3.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh,

Add me to the list of fans of your ggma''s ring.

I also adore Kberley''s and Diamondlil''s and Art Nouveau''s and krcdm''s--and really, everybody else''s on this thread. What a lot of beauties!

And Icekid, that 1 pendant is so incredibly sweet! And so beautifully modern and antique, both at the same time. How was it made? What''s it made of? Are those little rose-cut diamonds under crystal or something like that?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh and Glitterata!!!!!
23.gif
WOW
23.gif
What gorgeous heirloom pieces!

Glitterata: They're both gorgeous..but your grandmother's deco engagement ring is TO DIE FOR!!!!

Kaleigh: I'm dying to see clearer pictures of yours...it looks fabulous. Now you have something to practice on when you get your new camera!
1.gif

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks widget,
It may take me a while so be patient.
3.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh...patience is NOT one of my strong suits!
20.gif
But I'll try...

BTW...I've been wondering...is Sevens One your neighbor? If you don't have a camera, having a fellow PSer nearby sure is handy...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish she was, but no we are about 2 hours away from eachother and meet half way. If she was then I would''nt have to buy the frickin digital camera, haha.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2005 6:46:53 PM
Author: kaleigh
I wish she was, but no we are about 2 hours away from eachother and meet half way. If she was then I would''nt have to buy the frickin digital camera, haha.
You''re going to have so much fun with one of your own! I''ve run out of baubles to photograph (for now, anyway
20.gif
) and I''ve been using the close up feature to capture wildflowers (they''re crazy this year).

Take a look:

87.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
....here are some more....I found them all not far from my house (I live in the boonies, No. Cal.)

3978.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget,
OK, I''m sold!!! Nice pics btw!!
3.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2005 6:46:53 PM
Author: kaleigh
Yes you would; I would just be able to give you instructions!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seven''s,
Ouch that hurt!!!
8.gif
14.gif
9.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting my ring, Belle...that is the one I tried to post. I didn''t even realize it didn''t show up!
20.gif

Rube

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have many family heirlooms (a lot of our costume jewelry was stolen!) but here are a few. I have my great-grandmother''s engagement ring, a pendant from my grandmother, and my mom''s first ring/gift to herself on her 16th birthday.

Here is my great-grandmother''s ring:

IMG_0842.JPG

Rube

Shiny_Rock
This is one of my grandmother''s pendants:

IMG_0844.JPG

Rube

Shiny_Rock
And this is my least sparkly ring (but I love to wear it), the ring from my mother: (sorry all the pictures are so yellow)

IMG_0847.JPG

Rube

Shiny_Rock
By the way, I LOVE
30.gif
all the jewelry on this thread!!!

dizbug

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I don't have a pic, but this story is just too precious not to share! When my grandma was born, her father gave her mother a bracelet with hanging teardrop-shaped jewels in the following order:

Diamond
Emerald
Amythest
Ruby
Emerald
Sapphire
Topaz

As you can see, it spells "dearest" - isn't that sweet? My grandma still has the bracelet, but I'm crossing my fingers that she'll want to hand it over to me or my sister one day!

All the heirlooms are gorgeous, btw - I'm especially in love with Glitterata's rings
30.gif
!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I especially love your mom''s present to herself, Rube.

In the 19th century, rings that spelled things out with stones were popular. I''ve seen REGARD rings--ruby, emerald, garnet, amethyst, ruby, diamond.

Hey, let''s start a new trend reviving it. Somebody should come up with an alphabet.

Amethyst
Beryl
Cat''s eye
Diamond (of course!)
Emerald
Fire opal
Garnet
H?
Iolite
Jasper
K?
L?
M?oonstone
N?
Opal
Pearl or Peridot
Q?
Ruby
Sapphire
Tanzanite
U?
V?
W?
X?
Y?
Z?

Okay, sorry, went off on a tangent here. Back to the beautiful heirlooms...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results