shape
carat
color
clarity

pave setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 10:53:24 PM
Author: allycat0303
Scintillating,

My band is 2 mm............ Leon won't go under 2mm for stability of the band either.

This is really interesting. I think it really underscores the soundness of the information you got from Brian and WF initially.

This is the part that I think is just so important in custom work......trusting the *expert* to provide good information. Of course, they want to please you.....and they know you won't be pleased if something goes wrong.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 5:52:10 PM
Author: Mara
some jewelers dont agree on eternity micropave for daily use, my original jeweler was hugely against it for a daily wear...he thought it would be too delicate and that most settings did not have enough ''metal'' to hold each diamond in securely. i definitely know that how i wear my rings...i would never have lasted with micropave or similar...i''d be really unhappy. i really wear my rings and wear them well.
My jeweler flat out told me that there is no logical reason for ME to get anything of the sort. I am too hard on my stuff and he is right because of how quickly I got over my desire for an eternity band. I was sick of the ease of damage to the ring and potential for losing a stone.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I was all set to get a halo ring next year from one of the PS vendors after trying one on in a B & M and really liking it on my finger. Now I am wondering if this is a really BAD idea because of the pave. Should I rethink this?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey,

Alright, I''m going to come right out and say it because I don''t like sous-entendus. Honestly, my problem with WF is not the 2mm or not, it was the lack of communication that I had with them during my custom piece. I understand that you feel that I was being unreasonable etc., and that I really bashed them, but I really want to underscore that after John Q talked to me, calmed me down etc., I had a very good experience with them. And I posted about how wonderful they were to me. Anyone that has PM''d me personally or asked me about the situation, I ALWAYS reccommend WF. I would buy from WF again because they did everything they could to make it better. I don''t think JohnQ has a beef with me because he sent me a very nice PM when my cat died. However, if you want me to say "WF is right, and I was wrong" I''m not going to say that. Because it''s not a matter of right, or wrong. It''s customer relations.

I don''t think the reason I am having a problem with my ring is because I disgarded WF advice (I didn''t) and I also think this is a common problem with more then one vendor.

But I understand if you are displeased, however, I think it''s been rehashed enough.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-and-customer-service.30970/

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I am on my second ring that is completely pave''d. The first I had for 5 1/2 years and never had a problem and this one is going on 10 months and I am HARD on jewelry. My fingers are crossed..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2005 8:58:44 PM
Author: Cind11
I was all set to get a halo ring next year from one of the PS vendors after trying one on in a B & M and really liking it on my finger. Now I am wondering if this is a really BAD idea because of the pave. Should I rethink this?

I haven''t made my final decision on my ring upgrade but If I fall in love with a pave setting I''ll get it. yes there is potential problems and we''ve heard a few of them here but i''m sure there are plenty of people out there with no problems. If you are working with a well regarded vendor I''m sure they will deliver a quality product and if anything would go wrong, they will make it right. I know Quest Jewelers offers a lifetime guarentee on their rings and replace any lost pave stones for free..

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
a good question is ask is "where do people usually lose stones" ? is it on the sides.......might be interesting

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
I have a 2mm pave halo ring from white flash. (btw, no problems with daily wear so far)

Brian wholeheartedly suggested white gold.

Maybe the difficulties lie with the metal itself??

What a heartbreak. If I remember correctly, that was one of the most beautiful rings I''ve ever seen.

I hope that the problems can be resolved so that you can enjoy your work of art.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 6:51:39 AM

Alright, I''m going to come right out and say it because I don''t like sous-entendus. Honestly, my problem with WF is not the 2mm or not, it was the lack of communication that I had with them during my custom piece. I understand that you feel that I was being unreasonable etc., and that I really bashed them,

Since we''re on the "come right out and say it" mode, let''s set the record straight. I didn''t think you were being "unreasonable", I thought you were being foolhardy....but not because you decided not to work with Whiteflash. That''s inconsequential.

Here''s what I thought was foolhardy: What is the point of hiring any expert in his field if you are going to disregard information he presents to you based on YEARS of experience because it''s not what you want to hear? It''s like hiring a contractor to build your house and then dismissing his input when he tells you the house will collapse within a year because it''s structurally unsound.

You''re going to years of medical school to be a doctor, right? I imagine it''s your expectation when you begin to practical that people will come to you seeking your professional medical opinion based on years of study/practice. Will you think it smart when they disregard the expert information you provide because it''s not what they wanted to hear?

Having said that, it was your choice to make....no one else''s. It is your ring.

Let''s also get something else straight. I don''t give a damn who you (or anyone else here) buy from or don''t....I don''t have a vested interest for ANY vendor here. I don''t get anything from any vendor, nor do I want to. Pick who you like; EVERYONE should pick who they are most comfortable working with, and that won''t be the same person for everyone. Point in case: I myself have chosen vendors other than Whitelflash in two instances where other vendors could better fulfill my needs at that time. That''s the beauty of having choices.

It makes POSITIVELY no difference to me if you buy from Wink, from Signed Pieces, from GOG, from Whiteflash....or from the Lillipeutians! Your choice is just that.....YOUR choice. This notion you seem to have that I am "displeased" with your choice is way off base and psychotic. The only reason I would have to be displeased with your choice is if it affected me...and it doesn''t.

But the fact that it''s your choice to make doesn''t mean everyone has to agree with it or think it was a wise choice, either. (Again, we''re not talking about VENDOR choice here). Not everyone agrees with my choices, and not everyone will agree with yours.

Date: 11/4/2005 6:51:39 AM

However, if you want me to say ''WF is right, and I was wrong'' I''m not going to say that. Because it''s not a matter of right, or wrong. It''s customer relations.

I don''t think the reason I am having a problem with my ring is because I disgarded WF advice (I didn''t) and I also think this is a common problem with more then one vendor.

But I understand if you are displeased, however, I think it''s been rehashed enough.

I''m not looking for *you* to say ANYTHING. I don''t have any vested interest at ALL. I don''t care if you say they stink or if you praise them....no matter to me. My point has nothing to do with which vendor you chose.

I don''t think the problems you''re having with your ring are due to disregarding WF advice either, because your band ended up being 2mm anyway since Leon wouldn''t make it smaller either......so of course that''s not it.

What I DO care about is others who may be contemplating a custom job......from ANYONE, not just from Whiteflash......to understand that part of doing custom work involves listening to the expert that you hire! There is a reason they are experts in their fields.

Since we''re coming right out and saying it.......I believe that the "communications problem" was that you didn''t hear what you wanted to hear....and that''s fine. Again, your prerogative. But at the time, a huge hulabaloo was made over "they won''t give me what I want".

You were really vocal in expressing your displeasure that they wouldn''t make a 1.8mm band, and that you absolutely couldn''t live with a 2mm band. Interestingly enough, you weren''t as vocal in disclosing that Leon also said the minimum bank width had to be 2mm.

That would potentially be valuable information for the many others here who have been considering halo rings......to know that a few experts agree that less than 2mm may present structural problems.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey,

Again I will reiterate, this wasn`t my problem with WF, but I will address the 2mm band. Is it really foolhardy to want a 1.8 mm band? Are you saying that ritani and DCD who both stock 1.8 mm are foolhardy? I listen to all sorts of opinons, and when they differ, I want to know why. If one doctor tells you he can take your heart out, and the other says he can`t, are you going to get a thîrd opinion? Leon is my thrid opinon. But I think I was more then fair with WF in my second thread. I think JohnQ has resepctfully let the situation go (with no hard feelings on either side), and is happy with the resoultion I posted. And that`s all I`m going to say on that matter.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2005 10:11:33 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 11/2/2005 10:05:12 PM
Author: Demelza
What about going with a Ritani or Michael B? Both of those would be considered micropave, but we definitely haven''t heard about those stones falling out all the time. Or at all. I don''t know if my SP set made you a bit crazed in a good way or in a worried way. Most of my problems were a result of wearing two rings together. If you want to create a similar look to what you had, I''d go for a Ritani or MB.

ETA I didn''t know you could get over the border now without a passport. I always carry mine with me. I guess a birth certificate might suffice. When is that going to change?

I have heard very good things about the quality of Ritani. Butterfly 17 said somewhere that she puts her''s in her ultrasonic and has never lost a stone. If you love the micropave look I think either of these designers would be awesome..

You might email Bill Pearlman and see what he knows about stones falling out of the Michael b or Ritani settings. He mentioned in an earlier thread that he sells over 100 of michael b settings a year so if there are problems he''d be the one who would know.
I have carried Michael B and Ritani since their entry into the jewelry business and have never had a problem with their workmanship or with diamonds popping out or loosening. The thinnest we carry a e-ring is 1.9mm which is a Ritani. There are Michael B bands as thin a s 1.6mm. None of the designers we have can you press down on a section of the ring and collapse the seating of the diamonds which I suspect has happened here. Generally caused by drilling the seat too deep or the walls around the diamonds were to thin thickness wise. What they all have in common are superior quality control departments so problems are kept to a minimum.

Any diamond can be knocked out of a ring and any diamond can be loosened in a setting. Biggest culprits are working out, house or yard work, clinching the steering wheel of a car to tightly. These all will have a effect on the way a ring holds up. I believe in wearing jewelry where it is appropriate but understand that not everyone will do this. To this I say stay with the brands with the best reputations. They cost more but for those who have them I''m sure most would say that with routine care they never have problems with them. There is so much that goes on in the manufacturing of jewelry that it''s buyer beware. Just using the word pave does not mean that they are all made with the same attention to detail. The designers above are perfect examples of this.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
wow, how did I miss this thread?
Ally, I am sorry that you are having a lot of problems with the ring. I hope you don''t lose any more diamonds, but if you do, then I hope you lose them all at once and get it fixed and over with!
2.gif

I actually found this thread from another thread on pave settings.
I saw that Ritani was mentioned and since everyone knows I have them, I figured I would chime in and I even took pictures.
I think they are pretty durable and sturdy because there is so much more metal in the setting than there is diamonds and the metal goes all the way around, it doesn''t taper off in the back.
I am posting a picture of my ring next to an old platinum ring I have where you can see that the other ring has thinned out. You can see the difference.
Another thing I wanted to point out is that the Ritani rings are not channel set. When I think of channel set, I think of no prongs holding the diamond in place and empty space between the diamonds.
I think the Ritani are more bead set pave. It appears to be channel set because the extra metal on the outside of the band makes it seem that way, but I think it is just there so the ring can sit flush with other rings.

133_3324 (2).JPG

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a close up of the pave. You can see that each diamond is held by prongs.

i wanted to point out to that I am really careful with my e-ring because I don''t want to damage the diamond, but I regularly wear the bands. Of course I don''t wear them when doing things like housework, etc., but I am not as careful with them because there is no big diamond to chip.
With that said, I think anyone can lose a diamond in their setting or chip a stone. No matter how careful you are.

Ally, I was also thinking that if you tell Leon that you can push those eight diamonds, will he blame you and say it''s your fault because you were playing around with them? I get the feeling that he might!
20.gif

133_3334 (2).JPG

slammie

Shiny_Rock
ally, kaleigh, i'm so sorry to hear you guys are having problems
15.gif
Can i just say how i adore both of your rings
30.gif

anyway, after seeing this post, i checked my ring under the loupe and confirmed all diamonds are intact. My jeweler did a good job considering i have banged it a few times but generally i am very careful with mine too. The pave around the girdle of the diamond was what I was worried about since it's really thin but it's holding up so far ( i have banged it in this area as well). Like Kayla's ritani, my ring is has a substantial amount of platinum all round the shank so no worries about bending and diamonds popping out. That's one of my favorite thing about the rings, delicate looking yet they have substantial weight. I also chose not to have pave all the way around since I knew i tend to get scratches on the bottom of the shank.
I find though that my RHR shared prong ring gets the most beating since i'm righthanded. It is so scratched up and i have knocked that puppy up so many times!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks slammie!! Your ring is one of my favorites. Just gorgeous!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results