shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - calling all who have SEEN a strong blue fluor diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
a third

IMG_3545.JPG

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
a fourth

IMG_3529.JPG

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
one more

IMG_3522.JPG

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
one last one

IMG_3507.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 1:56:17 PM
Author: Midway
Just another perspective to add to the dialogue. I looked at several medium to very strong blue stones when I was searching for my fiance''s engagement ring. For me personally, it was not the look that I wanted for her e-ring stone. The stones definitely had a blueish hue in sunlight. I can see why some would find this beautiful, but for me it wasn''t what I looked for in a diamond.

The only word of caution I''d say is know what you''re getting with strong blue fluor. I''ve heard many people on here, especially experts, sing the praises of blue fluor. But it''s too often presented as if someone would be crazy not to prefer a blue fluor stone. I think they look very distinctively different in certain lighting conditions. To me, they don''t necessarily look whiter, but bluer. I just don''t think it should be presented as, people in the ''know'' prefer blue fluor stones. If you do that''s great, but if you don''t that''s great too.
Stones don''t have to have strong flo to turn blue in sunlight. My ideal cut has faint (almost negligable), yet it always turns a shade of blue in the sun. Here''s what I''m talking about. Depending on the intensity of the sun, depends on how dark the blue gets. There are others on here who''ve said the same. I love it!

NewRing1856.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hickerchick, gorgeous!! And congrats!
36.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Faint appearing strong blue in sunlight/ outside lighting environment

Just a note about this:

Different areas of the world get different intensities of UV from sunlight. This changes dramatically also at different times of the day.

One needs to consider that even a faint stone can look "overblue" based on the amount of UV, which is why I suggest using the Lexan so you can see just how much impact of the blue that shows.

Also there COULD be influence of blue from the blue sky if it is present, which would not necessarily be a result of UV.

Rockdoc

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 2:44:01 PM
Author: oldminer
With all my years of looking at and evaluating diamonds, when it came time to buy a single diamond for wearing for myself, I chose a very strong blue flourescenct stone. 1.84ct ideal cut. It is one of the diamonds in the Flourescence Video show on Pricescope. It is hazy much of the time and virtually violet in strong sunlight. It was a diamond few people would consider for an engagement ring as the flourescence really does alter the brilliancy and change the character of the stone, but for me, wanting something in a diamond yet still unique, it was just right.

I proabably would not advise anyone to chase such a stone unless it was far less costly, but it has been a pleasure to wear it and occasionally to explain it to others in the business. It is something few jewelers get to see being used and enjoyed by anyone, since we tend to thoughtlessly lump these stones into a ''don''t buy'' category. Each diamond has its own special character.

I also use this diamond to prove my point that cutting parameters do not reliably predict light behavior results. One must measure directly and this diamond drives that point home effectively.
I love it when you guys step outside the box :) :) Could you explain the highlighted part further please?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 2:55:54 PM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 1/3/2007 2:39:08 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/3/2007 1:09:34 PM

Author: shiatsu

Well the GIA says that fluorenscent stones that actually have that hazy, oily look because of it are about as rare as stones that fluoresce a color other than blue.
The stone that I saw that was EXTREME ''milky'' had a bizarre ethereal beauty to it...indescribable - it was in a halo of fog but it was intriguing!!

Was that bizarre blue fog only there in sunlight or was it there in inside light also?
I would describe the purple haze as an aura or a halo of purple but it is only there looking in direct sunlight top down. It disappears when I look at it in shaded sunlight . . . i.e. when I place my body in the way of the direct rays of the sun.

Gotta find my digital camera and capture a picture for you guys . . .
it was there inside but inside it didn''t look blue it just looked like fog.... this thread makes me want that diamond just for an oddity.... I wonder how much they''d sell it for haha!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 3:23:59 PM
Author: :)

Date: 1/3/2007 2:42:30 PM

Date: 1/3/2007 2:02:51 PM
Author: :)

This thread ...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-assess-oily-hasy-quality-in-a-strong-blue-fluorescence-diamond.54405/

5 posts down - Garry''s post - don''t assess for fluoro in direct sunlight - this may be your problem.
pffft - you have to assess ALL aspects of the stone in ALL lightings you view it in - garry might not do an *official* evaluation (for consistency or other''s sake) in direct sun, but for a buyer, they need to evaluate wherever the heck they think of! lol!!
C- did you actually read Garry''s post? He said not to assess FLUORO in direct sunlight, bc it turns dark grey for other reasons (although he has mentioned sev times that diamonds in general never look great in direct sunlight). I agree with assessing in all lightings in general (I am certainly prime example #1 for doing this) to get a feel for the stone/make a decision, but this thread is specifically about her concerns about fluoro. If it is already going to look different in direct sunlight, then the point is that she said it is only in direct sunlight that she is noting this, so her problem may not be the actual fluoro, but simply the fact that is is in direct sunlight.
I think it depends on what you mean by "assess". I think if you''re looking for something official then there are certain standards that need to be kept for consistency.. but I think if you''re just a regular person deciding if you want to keep a stone, you can and should assess all of its qualities anywhere you can think of. Just because it is maxing out in the direct sunlight - if she likes to look at her rings in direct sunlight and doesn''t like the fluor effect there - why SHOULDN''T she assess its behavior there?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 9:39:31 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 1/3/2007 7:07:29 PM
Author: SKR
I''m really confused now. I have read plenty of posts on here saying that haziness / milkyness is extremely extremely rare even in diamonds with very strong / strong blue fluor. So how come we have so many people claiming haziness in their stones on this thread ?
I think your fears have been allayed SKR?

The other thing worth noting is that most times we look at diamonds in direct unshaded sun light or any other intensly bright light the body color of the diamond goes dark and unattractive - with just a small number of totally bright sparkles. (This is why also why GIA''s Diamond Dock is a bad environment).

So even if a diamond was hazy in that type of light, as Daves is in the photo above - no non fluoro diamond looks even as good as Daves does in direct sun - which at least has an ''interesting'' look.
you personal preference/bias is showing through here big time.... not everyone thinks that diamonds in full sun are dark and unattractive. yes, they get darker but those "small" (I question that ''small'' bit) number of totally bright sparkles are not a footnote - they''re the main attraction! just had to spit this opinion out to balance yours.... I''m not sure wht you''ve got against sparkles and direct sun! I have some of my favorite moments in full sun :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 1:56:17 PM
Author: Midway
Just another perspective to add to the dialogue. I looked at several medium to very strong blue stones when I was searching for my fiance''s engagement ring. For me personally, it was not the look that I wanted for her e-ring stone. The stones definitely had a blueish hue in sunlight. I can see why some would find this beautiful, but for me it wasn''t what I looked for in a diamond.

The only word of caution I''d say is know what you''re getting with strong blue fluor. I''ve heard many people on here, especially experts, sing the praises of blue fluor. But it''s too often presented as if someone would be crazy not to prefer a blue fluor stone. I think they look very distinctively different in certain lighting conditions. To me, they don''t necessarily look whiter, but bluer. I just don''t think it should be presented as, people in the ''know'' prefer blue fluor stones. If you do that''s great, but if you don''t that''s great too.
I agree with this.... my J has faint fluor and I wanted strong but I''m glad it doesn''t have strong because I wouldn''t want to take away from the antique white look it has..... however.... if/when I get another diamond I''d love to have a d/strong because it is *different* not because it is "better".

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
My stone looks blue in the sunlight, too! :)
I thought it was just me at first... but, it was the first thing my fiance said, and the first thing that my friend said when each of them saw it (at different times, I might add...)

I was freaking out a little bit... but, Martin Fuller assured me that it''s not flourescence, probably just the sky reflecting or the UV like someone else mentioned.

I can''t get a good picture that shows what I mean, though.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/4/2007 3:05:09 PM

Date: 1/3/2007 9:39:31 PM

Date: 1/3/2007 7:07:29 PM
Author: SKR
I''m really confused now. I have read plenty of posts on here saying that haziness / milkyness is extremely extremely rare even in diamonds with very strong / strong blue fluor. So how come we have so many people claiming haziness in their stones on this thread ?
I think your fears have been allayed SKR?

The other thing worth noting is that most times we look at diamonds in direct unshaded sun light or any other intensly bright light the body color of the diamond goes dark and unattractive - with just a small number of totally bright sparkles. (This is why also why GIA''s Diamond Dock is a bad environment).

So even if a diamond was hazy in that type of light, as Daves is in the photo above - no non fluoro diamond looks even as good as Daves does in direct sun - which at least has an ''interesting'' look.
you personal preference/bias is showing through here big time.... not everyone thinks that diamonds in full sun are dark and unattractive. yes, they get darker but those ''small'' (I question that ''small'' bit) number of totally bright sparkles are not a footnote - they''re the main attraction! just had to spit this opinion out to balance yours.... I''m not sure wht you''ve got against sparkles and direct sun! I have some of my favorite moments in full sun :)
C it is very fortunate that Ellen has posted such a great picture a few posts above ours.

Lets consider what we can see in it

1. Her stone has negligible fluoro
2. It exhibits the darkness that terrify''s and frightens many first time diamond buyers when see in direct sunlight
3. No diamond looks good in this type of light
4. But it also shows the ''fire'' that we have had fun with in the Fire Thread - and that is a different issue and feature that really is lots of fun.
5. But note how little of her stone has any sparkles at all - there is more shine coming from the prongs.
The reason for this is because the sun is a light source that is a very very long way away and is actually very small as an angular source - like a halogen reflector at 100 yards away. Almost every other light source (including windows out of direct sunlight) has beams rather than rays of light that are shining into each facet in all directions. Also the camera has but one small peep hole - we mostly have 2 so we often see 2 x as many flashes.

So my point is that generally people should not ever make diamond cut grade distinctions based on diamond appearance in direct sunlight. There fore unless you are looking for flashes of fire for fun - fluoro is not generally an issue other than also being a fun feature in its own right.

Can we agree on that C?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 7:38:06 PM

Date: 1/4/2007 3:05:09 PM

you personal preference/bias is showing through here big time.... not everyone thinks that diamonds in full sun are dark and unattractive. yes, they get darker but those ''small'' (I question that ''small'' bit) number of totally bright sparkles are not a footnote - they''re the main attraction! just had to spit this opinion out to balance yours.... I''m not sure wht you''ve got against sparkles and direct sun! I have some of my favorite moments in full sun :)
C it is very fortunate that Ellen has posted such a great picture a few posts above ours.

Lets consider what we can see in it

1. Her stone has negligible fluoro Okay...
2. It exhibits the darkness that terrify''s and frightens many first time diamond buyers when see in direct sunlight Yes...
3. No diamond looks good in this type of light "looks good" is a subjective term and your opinion :)
4. But it also shows the ''fire'' that we have had fun with in the Fire Thread - and that is a different issue and feature that really is lots of fun. Yes, and in this case I''m not sure what she''s seeing is really fluor considering the white background is also "glowing" from the fire which has covered a wide area.... and one could say that the fire is not a feature of the diamond - but then you have to say that NO light return is a feature of the diamond and that the only feature of the diamond *itself* is clarity and color. You could also add the faceting. I still maintain that if fire is not a feature of a diamond, than neither can be brilliance. Both are light dependent.
5. But note how little of her stone has any sparkles at all - there is more shine coming from the prongs. That''s one picture.... below is another This is DIRECT sun in the summertime. The stone is dark but it''s ot dead and in MY opinion isn''t unattractive - I don''t think ellen''s above is unattractive either just because it is in full sun. Dark is a fact, unattractive is an opinion.
cbOMC100.jpg

The reason for this is because the sun is a light source that is a very very long way away and is actually very small as an angular source - like a halogen reflector at 100 yards away. Almost every other light source (including windows out of direct sunlight) has beams rather than rays of light that are shining into each facet in all directions. Also the camera has but one small peep hole - we mostly have 2 so we often see 2 x as many flashes.

So my point is that generally people should not ever make diamond cut grade distinctions based on diamond appearance in direct sunlight. I don''t think anyone here is making a diamond cut grade distinction, Garry - I don''t even think anyone here is evaluating or detrmining levels of fluorescence. Most of what I see here is anecdotal from diamond owners. I do maintain, however, that a regular Joe or Cindy can and *should* use whatever light environment tickles their fancy when determining if *they* LIKE a stone. No science needed. Nothing official at stake.

There fore unless you are looking for flashes of fire for fun - fluoro is not generally an issue other than also being a fun feature in its own right.

Can we agree on that C?
Yes, Garry LOL We can agree that looking for flashes of fire AND looking for hazes of blue are fun and that there is no other purpose for either other than entertainment. In fact I''ll go so far as to say that there is no purpose for diamonds (non-industrial) other than entertainment of some sort - unless you include the $ people make off of them ;-)

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I love blue fluor!! My diamond martini studs and solitaire necklace are all D with med blue fluor so I guess I''m probably biased on this issue??
9.gif

My ideal would be strong blue fluor D''s, but they just don''t seem to come up at all.....
5.gif

Luckily I''m happy to look at eye clean SI2''s or I''d never afford any more diamonds!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
cehra, just wanted to make sure you understood why I posted the pic above. My point was to show that a stone can turn blue in sunlight, basically with NO flo. While my stone was graded faint, it was really almost negligable when tested. I thought you might have misunderstood because of this part of your previous post:

Yes, and in this case I''m not sure what she''s seeing is really fluor

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pic Ellen - my stone with faint shows that effect too, very useful for consumers to be able to see it as fluorescence can be tricky to determine.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
a good friend of mine has a princess with strong blue and rarely do i see any difference in the effect. for the most part it is just a killer sparkly diamond. i think if you are looking for something 'different' about it, you might notice but otherwise, it's just a beautiful, sparkly diamond.
glad you decided to keep yours hikerchick!
36.gif

here's my 'blue' pic of a diamond with no flour

i think you can see why it would be confusing assessing fluorescence in direct sunlight
10.gif

bluenofluoro.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:13:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
Great pic Ellen - my stone with faint shows that effect too, very useful for consumers to be able to see it as fluorescence can be tricky to determine.
Indeed, that''s why I posted it! And thankies!

belle, that picture of yours was in my head when I posted earlier that others had noticed their stone turning blue in the sun also, but I didn''t remember whose it was!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:04:41 AM
Author: Ellen
cehra, just wanted to make sure you understood why I posted the pic above. My point was to show that a stone can turn blue in sunlight, basically with NO flo. While my stone was graded faint, it was really almost negligable when tested. I thought you might have misunderstood because of this part of your previous post:

Yes, and in this case I''m not sure what she''s seeing is really fluor
Well... I did get what you were saying, generally, but in that particular photo it seemed that a lot of the blue haze was a product of filming the FIRE! :) Like in the last photo here: (all 4 of these were taken in the same 2 minute period with exactly the same light)

cbOMC41.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. Well, here''s a couple more, taken in the same shoot, probably within a minute or two. It''s not the fire, it''s just what it does in the sun.

NewRing777.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

NewRing779.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 11:32:02 AM
Author: Ellen
Ok. Well, here''s a couple more, taken in the same shoot, probably within a minute or two. It''s not the fire, it''s just what it does in the sun.
I really like this one! should have posted it in fire! :D I have one like that - mine is reflecting the sky:

cbOMC99.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results