shape
carat
color
clarity

Trellis vs. basket settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hi everybody,

I''m new! This is a great forum, from what I''ve seen so far. :) My boyfriend is in the process of shopping for an engagement ring right now. I haven''t been too involved in the process-- he prefers surprising me and I think he has excellent taste so I trust him completely. However, he did ask me yesterday whether I would prefer a basket or a trellis setting. The diamond to be set is going to be a rectangular cushion brilliant, approx. 1.5 or so carats. I have a feeling he is going to experiment with side stones on the setting, too. That''s as much as I know.

He showed me some sample pictures but they weren''t great pictures and I found it hard to tell which one I would prefer. So, I said I would do my research. I was wondering, could some of you help me out by posting pics or links to existing pictures that would give me a good sense for the differences between basket and trellis settings so I can let him know which one I prefer?

If you could, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I think mine is considered a Trellis setting (sorry if I am wrong), but here''s some pics if it would be helpful: SMTR thread.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
MrsCushion, your best bet (in my humble opinion) is to go to a local jeweler and look at various styles and even try them on. It's going to be much different than just seeing photos, and you'll also see what it looks like on your hand...from various angles, etc.

At first, I was thinking of the trellis setting, but then after realizing how much it 'sticks out' from the side, I saw that any wedding band I got wouldn't fit snug against it unless it was custom made to fit the contours of whichever ring I got. Anyway, fast forward to another mounting style that I saw and fell in love with: the crown setting. Now, I'm not 100% sure if that's the name of that type of setting, or if that's just the name that my designer used, but what I like about it is that the stone and the prongs are set just a big higher up and the band tapers in a little, to allow for any other band to sit snug against it. Here is a pic of my e-ring. Maybe it was 'wrong' of me to think so much about my wedding band when looking at e-rings, but I really wanted to be able to have something that wouldn't look strange if I wore it alone, like some custom bands might, but that would also fit nicely against my e-ring. Just something you might want to consider. But again, I would say to go into a local jewler and ask them to see the different kinds of settings - basket, tressis, x-prong, etc. :) Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

My pics:
My%20ring2for%20ps.jpg
My%20ring3for%20ps.jpg
(not the best picture to show how it tapers inward so that a band would sit flush against it)

My ring is by Scott Kay.

PS I found this on LOGR's listings on ebay and it looks a lot like my setting, so perhaps it's common. :) http://cgi.ebay.com/30ct-Pave-Diamond-14K-Gold-Semi-Mount-Engagement-Ring_W0QQitemZ370111989973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item370111989973&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
014bps.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your replies!

Luvmyhalo, thank you so much, those links were super-helpful!

Sarah - what a very pretty ring!

Newsboysgrl777 -- wow! What an unusual, great setting, and what a lovely stone! I agree that I might just have to go out to a jewelry store and try on some things, but the other thing I noticed just from following these links here is that it seems like each individual setting is very different, so perhaps i need to get involved in picking the actual setting itself.... hmmm. Generally speaking, though, I am trending towards a trellis setting (at least right now). I don''t really care about flush fit with a wedding band because where I''m from (germany) wedding rings are worn on the right hand and engagement rings are far less common, so I may well wear my e-ring and wedding band separate anyway.

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated.
26.gif

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 7:56:05 PM
Author: mrscushion
Thank you so much for your replies!

Luvmyhalo, thank you so much, those links were super-helpful!

Sarah - what a very pretty ring!

Newsboysgrl777 -- wow! What an unusual, great setting, and what a lovely stone! I agree that I might just have to go out to a jewelry store and try on some things, but the other thing I noticed just from following these links here is that it seems like each individual setting is very different, so perhaps i need to get involved in picking the actual setting itself.... hmmm. Generally speaking, though, I am trending towards a trellis setting (at least right now). I don't really care about flush fit with a wedding band because where I'm from (germany) wedding rings are worn on the right hand and engagement rings are far less common, so I may well wear my e-ring and wedding band separate anyway.

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated.
26.gif
oh wow! that's very interesting to hear. Are you living in the US now or are you still in Germany? :) And, if you find out the types of things that you like, you can always tell your future fiance and let him incorporate them as he wants to. My setting is a coming together of the both of us - I wanted something more vintage-y and ornate, but he wanted the simple look and he also really liked the look of the 3 stone, so when we saw this one, we thought it was a good compromise. It means so much more to me because both of us came together to choose it, as opposed to me just choosing it (which I had always figured I would do...LOL).

But, if you really don't care about the flush-ness, I would definitely say get a trellis because they are soo pretty! It's functional, but I also feel like it's more than that - it's like a part of the design itself. :) But, also, like you mentioned, all of the settings are so different, don't forget that that also has to do with what kind of center stone it can accommodate. (If you're looking for a round, princess, emerald, radiant, pear, etc. Oiy!! So many choices!! LOL)

Anyway, good luck! :)

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 5:35:59 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
I think mine is considered a Trellis setting (sorry if I am wrong), but here's some pics if it would be helpful: SMTR thread.

Sarah,

Your ring is SO very pretty!! Don't you love those surprise diamonds?? I LOVE how big your center stone is and what great quality!! :) Is it really sparkly and flashy?? :) That's the one drawback to having a sapphire instead of a diamond - not quite as flashy! (Okay, not really flashy at all in comparison with a diamond...LOL. But I do love my pink! :) )

Your setting is very, very unique, though!! I can see why you say it's a trellis. At first glance I was like "no, it's a basket," but then I see how it swoops down where the surprise diamonds are, and I'd ahve to say that you've probably got the only ring I've ever seen that could be classified trellis AND basket (though I am NOT an expert AT ALL and I could be, like 100% wrong...LOL.) but it is very, very lovely!! :) :) Have you chosen a wedding band yet? Would love to see what you pair with it! :) Are you thinking of just a plain band to match, or something with diamonds, or maybe even a wrap?? So sorry if you've already posted about this...I haven't looked to see what your other posts are yet. :)

Oh, and I LOOOOOVED that picture you took with your ring and the Precious Moments figure..and what you wrote beneath it made me smile..he he. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind if 'my prince' tried to put a diamond on my foot instead of a shoe. LOL ;-)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
newsboysgirl777, LOVE your ring..off the topic but is that the Band newsboys?

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 8:46:36 PM
Author: AprilBaby
newsboysgirl777, LOVE your ring..off the topic but is that the Band newsboys?
Hi April! Thank you so much! And yes it is!! They are my ALL TIME FAVE!! :) I''ve had this username for every other thing you can imagine for so long now that I just automatically use it for anything new - ha ha. :) I take it you''ve heard of them? (which is great, because unless someone''se in the Christian circle, they usually haven''t)
17.gif

mintve

Brilliant_Rock

I have a trelllis/x-prong and love it. it was important to me that my ring be a design that enables a wedding band to sit flush against my e-ring. my ring is a Simon G ring and my wb will fit flush. plus, i just love the look. go to some shops and try on some tings, you will learn what you like. Have fun!!

ring side 22.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hi newsboysgrl777, I live here in the U.S. at the moment but am hoping to move back to Europe after finishing graduate school in a couple of years. In any case, thanks for the advice! I''ll definitely let you all know how things turn out :)

Everybody else who responded, thank you, too :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to pop in and vote for the trellis - I think that trellis settings are just so elegant and fun to look at!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think both are gorgeous, but my vote goes for basket...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
love the trellis

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results