shape
carat
color
clarity

Zig Zag cut Blue Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks sleepyspinel - I previously posted John''s photos of the stones but I managed to post them looking very blurred so here are clear (hopefully) vendors pics.

aftr5.33_3.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
and..

afghanitourmaline2.39_3.jpg

John Dyer

Rough_Rock
Trade
Somehow the color went weird on those pics at least on my computer. Oh well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John,
Please get larger pictures for your website. It would be nice to click on a picture and see it larger. Your cutting is much too nice for the small pictures you have in your catalog.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2009 9:20:39 PM
Author: John Dyer
Somehow the color went weird on those pics at least on my computer. Oh well.

Hi John,

They look correct on mine. Very strange.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2009 9:38:58 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
John,

Please get larger pictures for your website. It would be nice to click on a picture and see it larger. Your cutting is much too nice for the small pictures you have in your catalog.

I agree.
1.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what an awesome stone! The color is superb, but the cut, WOW!!!!!!

John Dyer

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can see what you are talking about, we never did get around to using larger pics.

We would have to edit and link both pics so it would be more work so that is a bit discouraging.

Also we are a bit worried about others copying our work and larger pictures would make that easier. At least that is our excuse so far to not go to the extra work. ; )

Do you really think that this would translate into more sales?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I personally would want to see a larger clearer picture before I buy. As for people copying your work, I understand the concern, but your rough also speaks for itself as well.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 6:35:24 PM

I suspect it would be worth your time! Fabulous, fabulous stones
36.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 6:35:24 PM
I can see what you are talking about, we never did get around to using larger pics.

We would have to edit and link both pics so it would be more work so that is a bit discouraging.

Also we are a bit worried about others copying our work and larger pictures would make that easier. At least that is our excuse so far to not go to the extra work. ; )

No John, I don''t - and here''s why.

Amongst the regular Pricescope community I think it''s fair to say your reputation is beyond reproach - your name''s up there in lights. We all know the way that you work and most serious gem buyers also have a relationship with a jeweller. So therefore we know that if we are interested in seeing one of your stones, or want to know how much one costs then we need only to talk to our jeweller. Sensible approach on your part because it weeds out the "tyre kickers".

Pricescope and other likeminded forum sites are also a magnet for new people wanting to learn more about gemstones prior to purchasing them. For instance, long before I posted here or elsewhere, I lurked and learned for eighteen months or more. During this time, I learned which cutters were respected by their peer group (always a good indication of quality) and which sites to avoid. I guess what I''m trying to say is that serious buyers of serious gemstones will have found out a good deal about you, or a vendor of a similar standard and are not likely to be swayed because you don''t have larger pictures on your website.

One thing that may translate into more sales for you is "web site optimisation". Now you will have to forgive me because I don''t exactly how it works or who does it. But basically, if you get your site "optimised", then your website will show up more often when people are searching for particular items that you may have available. Maybe one of our more web savvy techies will chime in. For instance, I have been trying to find the perfect rhodolite cut in a fan shape. When I googled "Rhodolite Fan" no link to a stone of yours appeared (at least not in the first few pages). I''m pretty sure that you have such a stone on one website that carries your stones (alas, too big for my project!).

Bigger photos is a "want" not a "need" if you catch my drift.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, in my particular case, and I'll only speak for myself, I personally would want to see a larger picture of the gem to evalulate the cutting and color better. I personally do not care so much about the reputation of the cutter because they can fall in and out of favor, especially if their rough gets bad or mediocre. Many gem collectors do collect primarily for the quality of color.

I know some people collect John's gems for the cutting alone. Therefore, if that were me, I would like to see larger pictures, especially if I'm paying a significant premium for the cutting as well.

Now, that being said, if one were to inquire about a stone, it would be helpful to get a larger picture at some point, whether it's right on the website or not. I would also like the stones to be categorized into a way to easily view gem species, and by color as well, and not all lumped together.

Sorry to hijack the thread Klewis.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 12:31:21 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread Klewis.

It''s fine with me TL

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2009 12:50:17 AM
Author: princessplease
Wow, what an awesome stone! The color is superb, but the cut, WOW!!!!!!

I wish you could see it IRL, it''s even better!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger picture issue does not bother me because if I am truly interested, I can always ask. What bothers me the most is the lack of organization of your website. Everything seems to be jumbled up together. It would be great if you can have pop up pages or links to grouping of gemstones by either alphabet or type (garnet, beryl, tourmaline, spinel, quartz, etc.). If the grouping is too large, then a sub group needs to be created for the colour type (spessartite, tsavorite, demantoid, pyrope garnet, etc). That’s just my take on it because after a few pages, I give up looking due to frustration of not being to find what I’m looking for.

John Dyer

Rough_Rock
Trade
Whoa!

I got more feedback than expected! ; )

Thanks you guys.

As to your comments, we often do email larger pictures to clients who are interested. We can usually get them out pretty fast. This lets us know who is getting the picture and what they want it for while also saving us the work of doing every picture in two sizes. Not ideal I suppose but that is how it works so far.

As to Chrono''s comments, I see the issue and unfortunately have seen it for quite some time. The problem is that we do our own web work and have not figured out databases yet. We do not want to farm anything out because that has caused many problems in the past. But a database is in our future plans. Just getting the time and energy to do it is hard. Not only do we need to make a database but also make it look decent and have it fairly gem compatible.

So many sites have this kind of thing now that I understand your frustration, but we are still mainly gem cutters and even though we are fairly respected and one of the bigger custom cutters still we are a relatively small business.

My recommendation in the meantime is that if you want something specific you call or email me because I have a "database" in my head and know my inventory quite well.I can then refer you to the appropriate page on the site. Or if the gem type is less common you can use the search function on the home page. But on a gem like Rhodolite for example it will probably pull up too many results to be useful.

Further comments and suggestions? I can see that my sister is going to have her work cut out for her for a while.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John,
I’d hate to bother you with a phone call when I am only browsing to see your selection of ”X” gemstones. Many of us are lurkers/browsers and if something happens to catch our eye, then we will consider contacting the vendor/cutter for more information.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! What a fantastic cut. And the colour...
30.gif

John Dyer

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can see that.

In a way I guess I am sort of used to people buying the gems as almost a unique piece of art. So the material is important but not always the first consideration. Many times they like the cut and when the material does not detract from it and so they buy it. There are customers of all kinds though.

One thing I am kind of afraid of with a database system is that often if you are not looking for a specific gem then you do not see it. From the standpoint of a customer who wants a specific gem then it is more efficient. But so many of my gems people have no idea even exist (a cut style and possibly also material that are unique). So they don''t know they want them until the see them.

This makes me afraid that if they have to look for them they would not know to. Who looks for something they do not realize exists? That is part of the reason we display them as we do aside from it being much easier to program. Does that make sense?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 5:28:01 PM
I can see that.

In a way I guess I am sort of used to people buying the gems as almost a unique piece of art. So the material is important but not always the first consideration. Many times they like the cut and when the material does not detract from it and so they buy it. There are customers of all kinds though.

One thing I am kind of afraid of with a database system is that often if you are not looking for a specific gem then you do not see it. From the standpoint of a customer who wants a specific gem then it is more efficient. But so many of my gems people have no idea even exist (a cut style and possibly also material that are unique). So they don''t know they want them until the see them.

This makes me afraid that if they have to look for them they would not know to. Who looks for something they do not realize exists? That is part of the reason we display them as we do aside from it being much easier to program. Does that make sense?
Perfect sense.

There are many gem sites that are advantaged by a database. Personally, I never tire of starting on page 1 and looking at all of your stones John because each is a work of art in it''s own right. So even though I might not be looking for a sapphire or a citrine, I am always mesmerised by each stone for it''s own unique qualities.

I''m on a day off today, what a perfect opportunity for a catch up of John''s stones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm more likely to turn away from a website without a search option. It drives me nuts having to go through pages and pages of items just to find something.

I remember seeing a stone in your catalog, and I wanted to show it to someone that was interested in an Afghan tourmaline. I was nervewracked going through each page, waiting for the downloads of the photos, in order to find it.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 7:00:18 PM
I''m more likely to turn away from a website without a search option. It drives me nuts having to go through pages and pages of items just to find something.

I remember seeing a stone in your catalog, and I wanted to show it to someone that was interested in an Afghan tourmaline. I was nervewracked going through each page, waiting for the downloads of the photos, in order to find it.

On the Home Page there is a search option which can save time. I use the carat weight and/or stone type to search. It''s not perfect but it does help

John Dyer

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes this is what we hope people will do.

If you find the gem once write down the Ct weight. You can then enter the ct weight in the search function on the home page and find it.

2.13 will find all gems that weigh 2.13cts for example. Our Item #s work the same way. Gem names also work but are a little less reliable since we sometimes have to abbreviate to fit them in.

Sorry to put some of you to more trouble than you like! We are working hard here and when we get time and find a good solution we will try to implement it.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
OMG it''s a true piece of art. Absolutely stunning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results