carat
color
clarity

Zambian Emerald prices

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo Everyone

I'm also jumping on what seems to be the emerald trend and am currently doing some research on prices. Columbians are definitely out as I am simply not willing to pay the prices they fetch. I figure I will make it work with a less expensive type!

I was wondering if someone could give me a very brief run down of what prices to expect for Zambian emeralds as I am pretty new to these. I am seeing prices for minor stones from about $1000-$1800 per carat. These look clean, are supposed to be minor oil and most do have a glow to them that is pleasing enough to the eye. Would you say this was expensive or in the ballpark of what is reasonable?

I was offered a panjshir emerald that had an amazing glow but found that it ran a little too yellow for my tastes.

Thank you in advance!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will follow this discussion! I've found that the Zambian emeralds are just as beautiful as the Columbian (to my untrained eye). Are there preferred vendors for these as well?

Haha there doesn't seem to be that's why it's crickets here!

I think most people do prefer Columbian but I haz a budget unfortunately!

• Haha
Reactions: CMN

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute but am curious about alternatives to Columbia (Zambia vs Brazil vs Panjshir). I've been told that Panjshir has good glow but didn't know that they tend to run more yellow.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute but am curious about alternatives to Columbia (Zambia vs Brazil vs Panjshir). I've been told that Panjshir has good glow but didn't know that they tend to run more yellow.

Could just be the one I was offered so don’t take my word for it. It did glow beautifully though!

I wish I knew what prices to expect. I think they are meant to be significantly lower than Colombians.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl , I'm also looking but I'm an antiques buyer and most antiques and vintage items don't have origins for mid price items, so the price is driven by the quality of the stone and treatment. I'm not seeing a huge discount for origin. I wish vendors on IG would post prices.

Some examples below- not associated with the vendors).

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RRfromR thanks for the links. I will have a browse around on that auction site as well! It's very helpful!

E H

Rough_Rock
Although all emerald mines may produce beautiful stone. I like zambian the best. They tend to have a slight touch of blue as modifier. Majority of zambian emerald is too bluish tho. The finest zambian is indistinguishable from the muzo, but at huge discount. I have even seen two zambian that have gota de aceite, but the dealers says the effect is caused by different type of inclusion.

One thing is certain tho, zambian material is much cleaner than emerald from other mine

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, @mellowyellowgirl I knew you were interested when you asked about the Zambian stones on the other thread. Infiniti has some - prices are pretty good! But no mention of how much oil. I have seen their stuff. Not bad! See pic attached and this page on their site.
DF6FC5B6-BE55-4BA1-9444-1F2E7AC12C0D.jpeg

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl how about this? Zambian 5 ct D4CC3182-F9AA-4D90-9275-268D4CC9A78B.jpeg

Oh wow, that is really pretty and it looks super clean!

That said, those photos you posted in your other thread of the Alexander laut pear were stunning……..champagne tastes on a beer budget etc etc etc. I do see a difference between Colombian and Zambian. That pear glow!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crimson I went to that website you posted and my eye went straight to this

I did have a revelation though. This is what I expect a tsavorite to look like. I know, I know, it’s a very random expectation that actually makes no sense, but it does make me realise why I’m probably not going to be a tsav girl. My impulse is to want them to look emeraldish.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I realize the precious pic wasn’t so good. Here is another. 6C719A02-2F7F-46D6-9EEC-50F2818B4DAE.jpeg

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson I went to that website you posted and my eye went straight to this

I did have a revelation though. This is what I expect a tsavorite to look like. I know, I know, it’s a very random expectation that actually makes no sense, but it does make me realise why I’m probably not going to be a tsav girl. My impulse is to want them to look emeraldish.
Oh wow, an important revelation. Having said that I saw a glorious Tsav today at Vihari - forgot to take a pic. But the best Tsav, like that one, are deep and quite dark. Not like emeralds.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, that is really pretty and it looks super clean!

That said, those photos you posted in your other thread of the Alexander laut pear were stunning……..champagne tastes on a beer budget etc etc etc. I do see a difference between Colombian and Zambian. That pear glow!

Ahem re; Wriston’s ring, I could tell you the price in private or you could ask him directly.
Big and beautiful for a pleasant price.
(Edit: he just messaged to say it is 3.7 ct, not 5. But it doesn’t look small).
Alexander’s costs over 15 times the price of this one.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahem re; Wriston’s ring, I could tell you the price in private or you could ask him directly.
Big and beautiful for a pleasant price.
(Edit: he just messaged to say it is 3.7 ct, not 5. But it doesn’t look small).
Alexander’s costs over 15 times the price of this one.

I don't want to hassle him, especially if I'm not serious about it. But thank you!!!!

15 times! Now there's a reality check!!!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

HockeyMama

Shiny_Rock
Haha just message him, you might be pleasantly surprised with the price.

Are these stones in his inventory? I love the cornflower sapphire and the square emerald! I guess I need to find a Wriston in the US. I guess it would be weird to spend this kind of money blindly.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crimson it tickles me that you prefer sunrise padparadscha! So do I!!! Haha I actually carry around the picture of that flower and in my head that's the standard! I don't care what the industry says lol.

She sure is a beauty!!!!!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Are these stones in his inventory? I love the cornflower sapphire and the square emerald! I guess I need to find a Wriston in the US. I guess it would be weird to spend this kind of money blindly.

I have bought only one item from him. Yesterday was my second visit to the store. As a one-person business, it is hard for him to hold much stock. I usually take longer to consider my purchases so this model doesn’t really work for me. I buy from bigger stores or sources so I have more choices and they can hold pieces for me. Wriston is affable and nice. I can see why he has his fans. I think @mellowyellowgirl knows him much better than I do.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson it tickles me that you prefer sunrise padparadscha! So do I!!! Haha I actually carry around the picture of that flower and in my head that's the standard! I don't care what the industry says lol.

She sure is a beauty!!!!!

It is lovely under a loupe, it has the most delightful inclusions.
went with a friend. We both wish it were a little more peachy.
So we didn’t buy it although the price (S$22000) was good.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl Off topic, sorry, but I wonder if you know what is happening at Star Lanka? Suddenly, all their Burma rubies, padparadscha and cuprian tourmalines have disappeared. Actually I went to their site to see what Zambian emeralds they had, but they only had ones with moderate oil.
Maybe a big price revision is coming! Ulp.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crimson **insert mind blown icon**

You are right!!!! It has all vanished!!!!

I don't have any actual information from the company but my speculation is that perhaps they have taken some stock off because it is at a gem show? In the past I know that they transport gems to gem shows (as I asked for videos of certain gems that were on the move). Perhaps they've taken them off the website so that people can't browse and ask for videos if they don't have them on hand? Pure speculation here.

Haha I've memorized their Zambian selection by heart. Nothing notable and nothing glowy unfortunately. I do love their setting service so it would have been amazing if they had glowy emerald stock too.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson **insert mind blown icon**

You are right!!!! It has all vanished!!!!

I don't have any actual information from the company but my speculation is that perhaps they have taken some stock off because it is at a gem show? In the past I know that they transport gems to gem shows (as I asked for videos of certain gems that were on the move). Perhaps they've taken them off the website so that people can't browse and ask for videos if they don't have them on hand? Pure speculation here.

Haha I've memorized their Zambian selection by heart. Nothing notable and nothing glowy unfortunately. I do love their setting service so it would have been amazing if they had glowy emerald stock too.

Phew, I think you are right:mrgreen2: . It’s the Hong Kong show. This may be informative :read: the gems that have vanished are the ones which are supposedly hot . ;)2;)2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is pretty. But moderate. One wonders how bad is moderate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results