shape
carat
color
clarity

Yummy vanilla 1.93ct R AVC

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
After years of thinking "I only love simple jewelry with really clean lines and only modern cuts," I got bit by the antique cut bug. I have had a 1.23ct AGS0 solitaire since 2010 but DSS sunk in and found myself wanting to upgrade to a larger antique cushion or OEC. When Grace was in NY for the Antique Jewelry & Watch Show in July, I spent a bunch of time trying on her cushions and decided that I wanted something that was at least 2ct and in the lower color range. Had I not just purchased an new eternity band in May from IDJ, perhaps I would have walked away with one of her 3ct cushion rings that day...

Fast forward a couple of months, and I had been checking out cushions on a bunch of different sites, including GOG's August Vintage Cushions. Last week, @mrs-b posted her 1.93ct R VS2 AVC for sale and I pretty much emailed her immediately about it. I recognized it as one of the sold stones I "visited" on the GOG site and always wished I had bought first. On Friday, I was working from home but was super distracted spending more time thinking about the stone and what I'd do with it rather than working on my spreadsheets :lol:. Because the size is smaller than what I was originally searching for, I went as far as cutting out little pieces of paper the size of the AVC and 2.5ct stones and comparing how they'd look on my ring finger.

Later that night, I finally decided that I'd take the leap of faith and buy the stone; it was just too good of a deal to pass up. The package was shipped on Monday and in my eager hands by Wednesday. When I opened the box and looked at the stone the first time, I'm pretty sure I gasped and had to hide it from sight for a few seconds before peeking at it again. For an R, it was brighter white that I was expecting (fluorescence woo), but what really got me is the gorgeous faceting and fire... oh the colorful flashes are breathtaking. The pictures and videos I had already seen just do not capture the liveliness of the diamond... it's... I just don't have words for it!

Funny enough, back in 2010 I posted my jewelry wishlist on PS and owning an AVC was #3 at the time. Guess I can finally check that one off the list :bigsmile: I'm pretty sure I have exhausted my jewelry funds for this year, but now I can take my time and think of the perfect forever setting for this beauty!

Stats
Weight: 1.93ct
Color: R
Clarity: V2
Dimensions: 7.31mm x 7.54mm x 4.97mm
Cut / Polish / Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Table: 0.442
Depth 0.68

And of course, I took some photos first thing this morning. All shots are taken indoors with natural sunlight around 7:30am using my phone. The stone was not feeling very photogenic! In general, the photos are A LOT warmer than what I see in person, so will try to take more pictures tomorrow with better lighting.

AVC 1.jpg

AVC 2.jpg

AVC 3.jpg

On my hand, next to my 1.23ct J VS2 AGS0 round from Brian Gavin and my 4.1 tcw F color east-west oval eternity band from ID Jewelry (I didn't post it earlier this summer... bad PSer). The eternity is 13 x 30 pointers.
AVC 4.jpg

Another hand shot
AVC 5.jpg

J color MRB vs R color AVC vs F color ovals
AVC 6.jpg

Q

Queenie60

Gorgeous stone and such a great deal! How do you intend to set it? Can't wait to see. Congratulations on a great purchase.

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stone and such a great deal! How do you intend to set it? Can't wait to see. Congratulations on a great purchase.
I'm leaning toward 18k yellow gold, or perhaps two tone yellow + white gold. For this stone, I want to go with a halo, but not necessarily diamonds all around, or a bezel with an interesting shoulder pattern to emphasize that it's a cushion and not a round. Would love to get french cuts in there too!

These are probably my fave so far:

CvB Cora
https://www.cvbinspireddesign.com/product/cora-ring/

Love Affair Diamods Artemis
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-artemis-bezel-setting/

JYB Jewels Lilybell
https://www.etsy.com/listing/489563903/floral-diamond-halo-ring-setting

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that stone.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to that! ^^^

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see this lovely stone set!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swoon! Where is my fainting couch?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy indeed. Cannot wait to see what you do with this beauty. She's soft and sweet and oh so warm and inviting. :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this stone too! Excited to see what you do with it!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love the warm toasty vanilla color. :love: I’m a big CS fan but there’s something about these warm AVCs that keep drawing me in. I can’t wait to see what you do with it but, for now, feel free to post more pics. :mrgreen2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to love only very white stones until I saw THIS stone when @mrs-b purchased it. It was love at first sight! It made me realize I love the very high colors and the very low colors...This stone is GORGEOUS! I can’t wait to see her in her new setting!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Took a few more pics!

This one probably shows the color the best out of of them all
AVC 7.jpg

Getting an idea for what the AVC could look like next to high karat gold (these earrings are 24k)
AVC 8.jpg

Can't wait to get it in a real setting
AVC 9.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
You had me at the photo just above loose on your hand :love:
Such a beautiful colour!

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
Looking forward to seeing how you set it. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved that stone. I still love it. But I am SO GLAD you have it now. How do you feel about the size? They're never as large as we'd like, but do you feel it's substantial enough for what you'd like to do?

I strongly advise bezeling. It will amp the yellow in the stone and increase its presence on the finger. Also emphasizes the glorious shape. :))

Congratulations on this beauty - I know she'll give you much joy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! :love: You were very fortunate to get this stone at a discount! There are many of us who would have loved to have it!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that stone! I can't wait to see what kind of setting you put it in. It is really gorgeous.

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
I always thought a rose gold bezel would be best to show of the color. I feel like yellow gold in some ways hides the color.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Took a few more pics!

This one probably shows the color the best out of of them all
AVC 7.jpg

Getting an idea for what the AVC could look like next to high karat gold (these earrings are 24k)
AVC 8.jpg

Can't wait to get it in a real setting
AVC 9.jpg

Sooo pretty on you! Congratulations on your beautiful diamond:love:

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
I loved that stone. I still love it. But I am SO GLAD you have it now. How do you feel about the size? They're never as large as we'd like, but do you feel it's substantial enough for what you'd like to do?

I strongly advise bezeling. It will amp the yellow in the stone and increase its presence on the finger. Also emphasizes the glorious shape. :))

Congratulations on this beauty - I know she'll give you much joy!
I'm definitely leaning toward a YG bezel with milgrain. I definitely want to show off that shape. Size wise, it provides good finger coverage when not set (I'm 6.5-7ish depending on the season, my fingers puff up in the summer and shrink in the winter) but I can always compensate with a gorgeous halo design. The cut makes up for going down in size!

Love it! :love: You were very fortunate to get this stone at a discount! There are many of us who would have loved to have it!
I definitely feel very lucky!! Though I did not need his approval, I had to convince my hubby that it was a really good deal that I probably wouldn't find again. My argument was, I can buy this now or wait until next year and spend 3x to get a stone slightly bigger, but either way, I am buying a cushion whether it's now or later lol

I always thought a rose gold bezel would be best to show of the color. I feel like yellow gold in some ways hides the color.
Am also considering a rose gold bezel... depends on the design and the tint of the rose gold.

Gonna take my time and really think about the setting. I find that a lot of the halos I like would work better with round cuts rather than cushions. I really want an interesting halo design but don't want it to distract too much from the center diamond. For example, I really like this halo, but would it "hide" the cushion shape?
i-46g8CT2-O.jpg

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gonna take my time and really think about the setting. I find that a lot of the halos I like would work better with round cuts rather than cushions. I really want an interesting halo design but don't want it to distract too much from the center diamond. For example, I really like this halo, but would it "hide" the cushion shape?
i-46g8CT2-O.jpg

Lovely inspiration ring for a gorgeous stone!
I think a designer and bench can modify that setting and bezel ever so slightly to either play up the cushion shape or hide it. If they have a mind to, that is.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your AVC purchase, I just love that cut!!:love: Along with mrs-b, I'd also bezel it. Depending on what look you're after--the bezel really helped intensify the color in my N. (I didn't realize just how much the bezel helped--when it was in a non-bezel setting, the color was there, but not as strong.) Best of luck on your journey into setting land!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What a beauty! I just love the warm colors in these stones.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant stone! it's briliance is awesome, I think whatever you set it in will be perfect, me? 18K yellow gold :) MrsB is a wonderful woman... I'm so glad you were able to buy this... lucky you! LOVE IT!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Love your new cushion! I saw this Love Affair Diamonds cushion halo. Imagine it with a rose gold bezel around your stone, that stone would pop!
20190921_070501.png
I think a RG bezel would great on that ring for sure. Would also want to bling up the shank a bit :love:
Found this other LAD design that caught my eye, if it can be customized for a cushion:
LAD Leigh.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I love that one! Someone on PS has that ring actually! I highly recommend singlecuts in the halo....just as in picture. I got them in a halo recently, i love that they are bright and lively but not too blingy.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
After years of thinking "I only love simple jewelry with really clean lines and only modern cuts," I got bit by the antique cut bug. I have had a 1.23ct AGS0 solitaire since 2010 but DSS sunk in and found myself wanting to upgrade to a larger antique cushion or OEC. When Grace was in NY for the Antique Jewelry & Watch Show in July, I spent a bunch of time trying on her cushions and decided that I wanted something that was at least 2ct and in the lower color range. Had I not just purchased an new eternity band in May from IDJ, perhaps I would have walked away with one of her 3ct cushion rings that day...

Fast forward a couple of months, and I had been checking out cushions on a bunch of different sites, including GOG's August Vintage Cushions. Last week, @mrs-b posted her 1.93ct R VS2 AVC for sale and I pretty much emailed her immediately about it. I recognized it as one of the sold stones I "visited" on the GOG site and always wished I had bought first. On Friday, I was working from home but was super distracted spending more time thinking about the stone and what I'd do with it rather than working on my spreadsheets :lol:. Because the size is smaller than what I was originally searching for, I went as far as cutting out little pieces of paper the size of the AVC and 2.5ct stones and comparing how they'd look on my ring finger.

Later that night, I finally decided that I'd take the leap of faith and buy the stone; it was just too good of a deal to pass up. The package was shipped on Monday and in my eager hands by Wednesday. When I opened the box and looked at the stone the first time, I'm pretty sure I gasped and had to hide it from sight for a few seconds before peeking at it again. For an R, it was brighter white that I was expecting (fluorescence woo), but what really got me is the gorgeous faceting and fire... oh the colorful flashes are breathtaking. The pictures and videos I had already seen just do not capture the liveliness of the diamond... it's... I just don't have words for it!

Funny enough, back in 2010 I posted my jewelry wishlist on PS and owning an AVC was #3 at the time. Guess I can finally check that one off the list :bigsmile: I'm pretty sure I have exhausted my jewelry funds for this year, but now I can take my time and think of the perfect forever setting for this beauty!

Stats
Weight: 1.93ct
Color: R
Clarity: V2
Dimensions: 7.31mm x 7.54mm x 4.97mm
Cut / Polish / Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Table: 0.442
Depth 0.68

And of course, I took some photos first thing this morning. All shots are taken indoors with natural sunlight around 7:30am using my phone. The stone was not feeling very photogenic! In general, the photos are A LOT warmer than what I see in person, so will try to take more pictures tomorrow with better lighting.

AVC 1.jpg

AVC 2.jpg

AVC 3.jpg

On my hand, next to my 1.23ct J VS2 AGS0 round from Brian Gavin and my 4.1 tcw F color east-west oval eternity band from ID Jewelry (I didn't post it earlier this summer... bad PSer). The eternity is 13 x 30 pointers.
AVC 4.jpg

Another hand shot
AVC 5.jpg

J color MRB vs R color AVC vs F color ovals
AVC 6.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results