carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Yssie's new ring is HERE!!!! 2.7 three-stone in unplated wg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 6:45:05 PM
Author: yssie
...I can''t decide whether to have WF to make me a matching wb or stay with the one I''ve got now even with the difference in colour...I don''t think I''m imagining it!
There is a difference in the colour between your band and your ring. However, with the fact that your ring seems to change colour in so many different lighting environments, I''m not sure how much you''ll even notice it. After all, your band tucks under your ering. I know that I personally wouldn''t be bothered with changing the band but it''s not about me, it''s about you and you''re the only one who can make that decision. -- not very helpful I''m afraid.
20.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 6:45:05 PM
...I can''t decide whether to have WF to make me a matching wb or stay with the one I''ve got now even with the difference in colour...I don''t think I''m imagining it!

Here is my very honest opinion...I think your ring is too perfect not to spend the extra couple (or few) hundred dollars to make a band that will match it perfectly, if that matters to you. Can you still return the other one? If not, you can keep it and eventually add a yellow gold and rose gold band to make a nice tri-color gold stack for your right hand :) Haha--I love spending money vicariously through other people! Seriously, though, I sense that you want the matching band, and I think you have already gone 99% of the way, so go the extra 1%. Only if it bothers you, though, I doubt anyone else will notice with all of those gorgeous diamonds in the way! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farley - sometimes they match really well, when the WF is looking steely. Other times I can see a difference - the band is from e-weddingbands, and their Ni-wg is a much whiter alloy: it's like plated wg or plat, it's always steely regardless of lighting.

EHR - honestly, I'm not sure what I want! A huge part of me wants them to match, for ME, even though I know that I'm the only one who will ever notice IRL... I do have until September to make a decision, fortunately! I just talked to WF to ask if their stock pieces have exactly the same alloy/tint as my cusom ring, so I could just have the plating stripped, or if I'd have to get a custom band made - I'm guessing their answer will pretty much make the choice for me one way or the other
4.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Yssie,

it''s beautiful, truly a stand alone ring.. what about wearing the wedding band on the other hand?

With this ring, you can go with a band on the right hand - not worry about matching. is this something you would consider?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you garden
9.gif

FI would prefer I wear two rings on the same finger, so that''s what I''ll be doing
1.gif
What ring, though, is entirely up to me! Hence the dilemma
3.gif

shiny29

Rough_Rock
Yssie, I have to say I was wondering how such a large 3 stone would look on your small finger. My finger is 3.75 and I was trying to imagine it. It looks absolutely stunning!!!! I love how you chose warmer stones and the unplated gold. It suits your skin tone perfectly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, shiny!!

Sometimes it looks positively gargantuan, sometimes it looks quite petite
4.gif

So, if I can ask, what are your upgrade plans? I remember your RT posts but I can't find a post on the resolution?
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would aim for a ring the same color. That would bug me, but I am crazy that way
4.gif

slg47

Ideal_Rock
your ring is FABULOUS!!!!!!!! omg so gorgeous
36.gif
36.gif

I would also get same color...that way you know it is perfect

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
That is one of the prettiest Round 3 stone rings ever!!!

Huge Congrats to you!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Your new ring is absolutely gorgeous! If I ever am lucky enough to have a three stone, this is exactly how I''d want mine to turn out! Incredible!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks slg, wintotty, pearl!

Well, I just heard back from WF about a matching plain band - looks like it''d have to be custom to get an exact colour match, but the price I was quoted is -excessive. So it looks like I''m sticking with my current plan, and I''ll just have to get used to it
4.gif
3.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I am surprised it is so expensive for a plain band!? Oh well...like I said, I don''t think anyone will notice, and I actually like non "super-matchy" looks. :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah well at least you know! I think your band looks good with it, the slight difference is not noticeable from the pics...but hard to say how it looks when you are staring at it IRL.

plus there is SO much diamond finger coverage that you don''t really see the two bands together

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ETA...didn''t mean to say you can;t see it, but since so much finger coverage, less of the metal together than say a solitaire.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
OMG, it''s so perfect- I love it!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EHR - I was surprised too, I guess they have to use a special custom alloy - whatever they used to make the diamond ring.. apparently they can't guarantee a perfect match by stripping a stock piece. Oh well.

slg - it's actually more visible in pics - both bands are polished so they reflect everything around them and the body colour really doesn't show like in a static image. I'd prefer that they matched, but this is much more than I'm willing to spend to further this neurosis, especially as noone but me can even see it IRL
20.gif

I'm actually thinking of getting a plated wg band and an 18k yellow gold band, and wearing all three
37.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, vesper!
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Birthday roses
1.gif

1-Yssie-BdayFlowers-2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one of my favourites
9.gif

1-Yssie-BdayFlowers-3A.jpg

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2010 6:28:54 PM
one of my favourites
9.gif

Oh my gosh! I need my sunglasses!

I had to chime in on the whole debate about whether you should get a matching band or not. If it were me (just like Dreamer and EHR), I would try to get the matching band. I''m really anal about my rings, whether or not anyone actually notices is irrelevant. Not knowing the price that you were quoted though, I can''t say which way you should go. But like you said, you have until September to decide.

As an example, I''m in the process of trying to decide if I should force my jeweler to order me a new wedding band because the one that we decided on came in 1/4 size larger than we ordered. The jeweler tried to size it down, and now there''s a tiny piece of the band that doesn''t look quite the same as the rest of it. Nobody will ever notice it, since it''s on the bottom side of the band (where the stamp is - that''s how I wear my rings). But it''s obviously still bothering me. I think I''m their most annoying customer ever!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 6:41:21 PM
Author: sandyandisaac

Date: 6/9/2010 6:28:54 PM
one of my favourites
9.gif

Oh my gosh! I need my sunglasses!

I had to chime in on the whole debate about whether you should get a matching band or not. If it were me (just like Dreamer and EHR), I would try to get the matching band. I'm really anal about my rings, whether or not anyone actually notices is irrelevant. Not knowing the price that you were quoted though, I can't say which way you should go. But like you said, you have until September to decide.

As an example, I'm in the process of trying to decide if I should force my jeweler to order me a new wedding band because the one that we decided on came in 1/4 size larger than we ordered. The jeweler tried to size it down, and now there's a tiny piece of the band that doesn't look quite the same as the rest of it. Nobody will ever notice it, since it's on the bottom side of the band (where the stamp is - that's how I wear my rings). But it's obviously still bothering me. I think I'm their most annoying customer ever!
Thanks for chiming in! I'm getting better at choosing flattering background colours for these pale yellows, I think
4.gif

The quote was a third of my custom setting total. My rep did explain the "why's" - it would need to be specially made to match, so even without CADs getting the mix right costs far more than stripping a stock piece - but, no matter how much I want them to match, I just can't justify spending that much on a plain band right now (though since I heard yesterday I've seriously considered it a few times!). I think the hues are close enough IRL that I can 'choose' to make a fuss or not, if that makes sense? And I'm training myself to choose 'not'!

I'm anal about my rings too, so wish me luck!
12.gif

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
wowzer.gif
Gorgeous photos again! But, how can you help it with such a beautiful ring. I noticed you said birthday roses.
Is it your birthday? If so......
bdayparty.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thankyou!!

It was last week, I've just turned 24
9.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! It looks so nice on your finger. What is unplated white gold?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 7:39:13 PM
Author: Isabelle
Gorgeous ring! It looks so nice on your finger. What is unplated white gold?
Thanks! Some alloys of white gold aren't bright white as you see in the store - my nickel-wg alloy is a bit yellowish, though whiter than "regular" yg. wg can be rhodium plated to give it that bright white look, but I prefer the unplated creamy colour... palladium white gold is one example of a wg that doesn't need to be plated b/c it's already very, very white.

A PS search will yield a ton of info
1.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you on the cost. I know it seems exhorbitant and I won't begin to try to tell you about your money BUT......(this is the mother in me talking too so take it with a grain of salt)!

This is your wedding band - the one you will marry with and hopefully the one you will wear for all time. You are fortunate enough to have gotten the big ering first time around (not like some of us!) so I doubt that you will be upgrading or changing your setting and wedding band. You already know the color thing is bugging you - it would bug me too - so I'd save or scrimp or whatever - even if it meant letting go of something at the wedding - to get the band I really wanted. When the wedding is over, you have your hubby, the band and the pictures. The food, the drinks, the flowers, the cake - all of it - is all gone. I'd rather put my money in something that I would have for the rest of my life. You have a gorgeous ring and are so fortunate to have it from jump so I'd spring for the matching band!

Just my two cents - maybe some food for thought. Consider it - throw the idea out or not - but I just had to tell you my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

(and she says in a little voice if WF makes it get your initials and date engraved inside too) tiptoes away quietly. . . .

shiny29

Rough_Rock
Yssie I would also vote for the matching band. It would bring out the OCD in me to have them slightly different.

Thanks for asking about my upgrade plans. I would really like to reach the 2.25ct + range someday, I have a 1.5rb right now. I ended up ordering a bgd barbara pendant with the money I had set aside. For my hopeful upgrade, I plan to just save money and see where it leads me. I was hoping to upgrade next year but with these price increases I''m not sure how feasible that will be. I''m also not sure how much money I''m prepared to spend on a bigger diamond, though I am admittedly obssessed. While I''m clearly not much of a poster, I read this forum almost daily. Thanks for letting me threadjack a little.

Congrats again on your upgrade!!!
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha thanks for muddying the water MGR
3.gif

You make good points, though. Whatever I have on September5 will be my "forever" set - at least until/if the gold wears away enough to require a replacement... honestly, I've never been much of a sentimentalist but the idea of keeping my wedding set for years and years does make me smile
1.gif

IF we have WF make it it will definitely be engraved, that much I can say for sure!

Shiny - OCD, indeed! I didn't know you'd chosen a pendant - congrats! That's one of my favourite styles
36.gif

I think saving and looking without setting yourself any specific short-term 'goals' is a great idea - you get to enjoy the hunt without the stress
1.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie I am extremely late to this thread but I just wanted to say how gorgeous your ring is. The stones are amazing and the proportions are perfect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results