shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts: is my pear too big to be a side stone?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, you do realize that emerald cuts sparkle less (differently) than pears, right?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't edit -

Have you had a chance to go out and look at some different shapes in-person IRL? What did you think of the way they sparkled IRL?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have been where you are, and I think you just haven't found the right setting yet to satisfy your bling craving. I reset my diamond multiple times and was never happy with it, UNTIL I found the right mount. Now I love my original diamond and am satisfied. In my case, blingy side stones are what finally satisfied me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1356117450|3337510 said:
I too have been where you are, and I think you just haven't found the right setting yet to satisfy your bling craving. I reset my diamond multiple times and was never happy with it, UNTIL I found the right mount. Now I love my original diamond and am satisfied. In my case, blingy side stones are what finally satisfied me.
Ds i know my pear sparkles lsss than step cuts i have seen so
And if a step cut is my dream why in the world wouldnt i pick an ec or assher center stone with diamond sides? I dont get why a center sapphire doesnt make sense.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A real center sapphire makes sense. But I think a brilliant cut pear "sparkles" more than any emerald cut I have seen. But granted, I don't see a lot of pears or a lot of emerald cuts around in real life. Just a few.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a sapphire emerald shape/cut and its really not a good option for corundum IMO. Sapphire needs a more faceted cut to look lively. Step cut blue sapphire looks very dark and dead to me.

I also owned step cut diamonds and found them very blah -- its hard to find really well cut step cuts! Mine were well cut but not really really well cut. And they need to be large to really do a light show.

Seems like you are trying to please you and the fiance. I say change his mind slowly over time so that he knows with a ring, all that matters is what the wearer thinks. Then all you need to please is you :halo:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive seen lots of colored stones done by precision cutters in step a square step cut. Why wouldnt it work? Im just curious because the pics of spinel look fabulous. And if nit couldnt you get a cushion with step cut sides. Ive seen leons 5 stones like that.

And yeah i think a lab sapphire is a real sapphire.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1356117320|3337507 said:
Can't edit -

Have you had a chance to go out and look at some different shapes in-person IRL? What did you think of the way they sparkled IRL?

Iterating.

Unless the answer to the first is "Yes" it's all just conjecture. And in that case I'm really interested in your answer to the second, because some of what you've said seems rather contradictory to me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes i have seen them irl

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1356118700|3337529 said:
Laila619|1356117450|3337510 said:
Ds i know my pear sparkles lsss than step cuts i have seen so
And if a step cut is my dream why in the world wouldnt i pick an ec or assher center stone with diamond sides? I dont get why a center sapphire doesnt make sense.

This isn't possible. There's no way a step cut could sparkle more than a pear! Unless it was a crappy crappy pear with no faceting which your is not! Step cuts have what, 17 facets? Some maybe half of any other shape out there? For all your searching and hoping, I'm just thinking you are going to be extremely disappointed with a step cut stone. Also, to correct an earlier statement you made about lab created sapphires being the same as the real thing - they're NOT... I have the sense that if you got a sapphire ring, like everyone else is saying, it will not curb your appetite and you'll want to change it again. RB and cushions sparkle the most unless you get an h&a radiant or princess. Then pairs and lastly step cuts. I guess if you got the sapphire ring now, and when you got your dream ring kept it as a RHR that it'd be ok, but it just seems like wasted money....obviously it's your decision....but for all the advice you're looking for something else, it doesn't make sense.

Have you seen radiant stones? Maybe a 5 stone radiant ring would be better for you or even cushion 5 stone like the one someone else posted earlier....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coloured stone: colour is the primary concern, cut is way down the list. You MUST love colour if you chose to go this route but there's nothing wrong with a coloured stone center stone. Yes, it will sparkle but it will be only a single primary colour. You will get variations of that colour though.

Step cuts DO sparkle but it is very different. A well cut EC sparkles so much more than an average cut EC that I could not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. It's much less busy than an RB but the sparkle is also much bigger due to the facet size.

Lab vs natural: saying lab sapphire is the same as a natural sapphire is akin to saying a synthetic diamond is the same as a natural diamond. You wouldn't say that now, would you?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes i would say a mmd and a diamond are the same thing. If they sre chemically identical than tell me why they are different- rather than the obvious creation differences.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me why then any well cut step cut has no light leaks, when any pear cut does. Surethere are more shards of light but in regards to light return i do nkt think a pear is better than a step cut

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1356122962|3337585 said:
Coloured stone: colour is the primary concern, cut is way down the list. You MUST love colour if you chose to go this route but there's nothing wrong with a coloured stone center stone. Yes, it will sparkle but it will be only a single primary colour. You will get variations of that colour though.

Step cuts DO sparkle but it is very different. A well cut EC sparkles so much more than an average cut EC that I could not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. It's much less busy than an RB but the sparkle is also much bigger due to the facet size.

Lab vs natural: saying lab sapphire is the same as a natural sapphire is akin to saying a synthetic diamond is the same as a natural diamond. You wouldn't say that now, would you?

Couldn't agree more with this whole statement. I just wrote a 12 page paper on the difference and even after all the research, I would never say they're the same thing because they absolutely are NOT.

Nieseel - EC may not have light leakage because their facets are made to reflect, and so that's what they do. They return light. That's not to say RB's don't reflect light, but the facets are much bigger on step cuts. I guess someone who's more educated about this should chime in. But it's not like glittering sparkly....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1356123953|3337599 said:
Chrono|1356122962|3337585 said:

Couldn't agree more with this whole statement. I just wrote a 12 page paper on the difference and even after all the research, I would never say they're the same thing because they absolutely are NOT.

Nieseel - EC may not have light leakage because their facets are made to reflect, and so that's what they do. They return light. That's not to say RB's don't reflect light, but the facets are much bigger on step cuts. I guess someone who's more educated about this should chime in. But it's not like glittering sparkly....
Maybe i should be mire clear. I do not wany glittery sparkle i like the large faceted sparkle. And please. If these things are different i would lovr an explination as to why if they are chemically identical why arw mmd and man made gems different. They dont come out of the ground but ehat about there make up makes them not diamonds or gems?

I get that its a mind clean thing and something created in ideal conditions in nature is rarer than ideal conditions in a lab. But why are thry not equivalent?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
There's a whole area devoted to the topic. I'm sorry, I thought this whole thread was about you wanting something that sparkles... and that you were bored with your current ring because it didn't sparkle.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there is a whole board devoted to it but everything i have read says to me they are chemically the same. And the desire for one over the other comes down to a mind clean thing. So if you have one concise statement telling me why i am incorrect im all ears. I dont like being mistaken :read:

And this thread was started because i am unhappy with the ring and want to explore my options

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nieseel,
Even the very best EC ASET has areas of light leakage, just a lot less of it. I would like to see the ASET of well cut pears for comparison. How many really good ECs have you seen IRL? How many really good pears have you seen IRL? I do agree that the sparkle of pears is smaller and busier than step cuts. Know that the drawback to step cuts is that the clarity must be high because every speck shows and are even more difficult and important to keep clean than other shapes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono i had done a lot of searching kn this site about pear asets and fron what i can gather you cant avoid leakage at the tip. Its just the nayure of the beast. I may be erong but any ghread on here about them said you just have to find one with a good evenly spread leakage

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back from looking at pear ASETs and most are disappointingly leaky both at the tip and base. Seems to be the nature of the cut. Some red if it is very good, mostly green and rarely any blue with lots of leakage everywhere else. I was surprised to read some experts consider that as very good for a pear. :confused: I do not know the back story but why did you go with a pear in the first place? Have you ever seen a pear that you drool over?

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
OP, would an AVC or something similar scratch your itch for large facets and great performance? Perhaps you've already mentioned that you're not interested in them. If so, I'm sorry for being redundant.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1356131737|3337665 said:
OP, would an AVC or something similar scratch your itch for large facets and great performance? Perhaps you've already mentioned that you're not interested in them. If so, I'm sorry for being redundant.

No you arent being redundant I dont think ive mentioned in this thread but though i think they are beautiful stones I just find the shape so boring
I'm back from looking at pear ASETs and most are disappointingly leaky both at the tip and base. Seems to be the nature of the cut. Some red if it is very good, mostly green and rarely any blue with lots of leakage everywhere else. I was surprised to read some experts consider that as very good for a pear. :confused: I do not know the back story but why did you go with a pear in the first place? Have you ever seen a pear that you drool over?

My choice of pear was because I looove the shape and I didnt want to get something like an asscher because i have a 7-7.25 size finger and i didnt want something that faced up small.
Phoenix's pear is to die for!!! thats probably up there in my favorites of all time. I think they might be like radiants in that ASETS dont translate the sparkle of the cut.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1356133449|3337688 said:
daintyG|1356131737|3337665 said:

No you arent being redundant I dont think ive mentioned in this thread but though i think they are beautiful stones I just find the shape so boring

My choice of pear was because I looove the shape and I didnt want to get something like an asscher because i have a 7-7.25 size finger and i didnt want something that faced up small.
Phoenix's pear is to die for!!! thats probably up there in my favorites of all time. I think they might be like radiants in that ASETS dont translate the sparkle of the cut.

Your comments are contradictory....I understand what you mean about light return, but it wasn't till recently that you made this clear. Everyone was lead to believe you wanted "sparkle" and were saying that you weren't getting enough "sparkle" from your pear which clearly has more facets than an EC or asscher. If you want an emerald, then go with that and get a 5 stone. Emeralds tend to be a cheaper cut, but you would have to get something with better clarity as Chrono suggested. I still don't think you should get a sapphire if you just intend on getting a 5 stone diamond ring just because I think it'd be a waste of money...Unless of course you have the budget for it.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I do not find those statements contradictory. I too love the shape of pears and emeralds, but the actual shape of a cushion or round is not exciting to me. However, I differ from Neiseel because I think I could be won over by a cushion or round with an amazing facet pattern (think antique cuts).

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would love to see you get a step cut because I love them too. Have you seen those Leon Mege step cut 5 stones? Like browneyedcountrygirl. TDF!

I only have two small diamonds--an uncerted marquise and a 'good' cut EC--so I don't have a ton of experience with diamonds, but my experience with my EC is not 'blah' or unsparkly. I prefer the faceting pattern of my EC to the marquise pattern for sure. I think the EC's facets are awesome. They are very flashy in my opinion and they reflect color. And even though my marquise doesn't float my boat performance-wise or pattern-wise, I understand how the OP feels in liking a diamond for its shape, because that's how I feel about my marquise. I love the shape.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Too late to edit, but it wasn't browneyedcountry girl with the LM step cut 5 stone. I can't remember who had one. Was it Erica or Grace from JBEG??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to understand why Phoenix's pear in particular. Size? Sparkle? Light performance?

I don't understand why you don't think ASET translates into sparkle IRL. Isn't this precisely why ASET is highly touted? Because it tells us how well it sparkles? If not, why would anyone bother with it in the first place?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps you could do a fabulous pear colored stone ring? You love the pear shape, like the idea of a sapphire or spinel, and like the spread on a pear. And it sounds like a sapphire might be better suited for a brilliant cut than a step cut. A big glorious blue or yellow sapphire pear in a halo perhaps (like Phoenix's)? Or a pear three stone like you were exploring in your other thread? Only you know if you'll be satisfied with a colored stone ering. I've proudly worn my sapphire ering for 12 years. I still adore it. Someday I would like a big gorgeous diamond ring too because I really love jewelry, diamonds and gems. Whatever you decide should be a fun and joyful experience.

And I agree with Dreamer - a .9 pear halo pendant is to die for! I should be so lucky!! I hope you're able to work this out with your hubby because it would be amazing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires tend to come in ovals and cushions. It will be quite the hunt to find one that is pear shaped.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results