shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts: is my pear too big to be a side stone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
im am going to preface this by saying I am not doing anything now so please leave out the "you need to find out what you want before you change anything" advise. Its very helpful and it has been heeded, now I jut want to know what my options are. :read: :read:

Ive already had a thread about a 5 stone, and I think thats out of the running, so currently my only plausible idea is to do it in a three stone... I would do it in a rose gold...this probably
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/grace-3-stone-pears-18k-rose-gold-5557r18

But I was thinking today about my pear and if it could be one of the side stones instead of the center.
So my question is this, could I use my pear as one of a side stones in a three stone, and have the center stone be a somewhat substantial colored stone? Or is my pear too large? its 8.5 in length, so I would have to have 17mm worth of side stones, is my size 7 big enough for that AS WELL AS a large(ish) oval colored stone? I know they are large, but Im thinking, they would be at an angle, right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way too big. Kaleigh has a 2+ carat center round with side pears, and they are in the .3 range.

Your diamond size is for a center stone for a ring or pendant.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring doesn't have pears. Did you post the wrong link?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Waaaaaaaay too big. The five stone works because the stones are angled to curve around the finger. It would look like a pteranodon.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No that is the right link, its to illustrate my point that those two side stones combined seems to be similar to the length of one pear.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi nelseel,
I can recall a 2.45ct Pear- 11.3 x 7.74 flanked by stones that were 7.7 x 5.3.
I would think you can use a sapphire in the 11.5-12mm range and have an amazing proportion- full looking if you went three stone. I agree they would b quite wide for a five stone.
If you find a match to yours, I think they'd make rockin' side stones.
If a ring is made in a size above 5 or 6, and the person is "bold", why not make a honking ring?

JMO......

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1355962624|3336058 said:
Hi nelseel,
I can recall a 2.45ct Pear- 11.3 x 7.74 flanked by stones that were 7.7 x 5.3.
I would think you can use a sapphire in the 11.5-12mm range and have an amazing proportion- full looking if you went three stone. I agree they would b quite wide for a five stone.
If you find a match to yours, I think they'd make rockin' side stones.
If a ring is made in a size above 5 or 6, and the person is "bold", why not make a honking ring?

JMO......

thank you, yeah my ring is a size 7-7.25, so i feel like i am lucky (these big fingers come in hand for once!) because it allows for more service area. I dont think i am "crazy" to think it could be done, though i could be wrong... Wrong is fine, but not crazy :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1355963649|3336078 said:
diamondseeker2006|1355962558|3336057 said:
Here is one, but it doesn't say the size of the pears (but they are smaller than yours, I am sure):

https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/round-diamond-engagement-ring

I dont know but i think this is the same one stone and it say .9 ct pear sides ?
https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/three-stone-classic-ring

Yes, and the center stone is 5 carats which makes it proportional. You'd have a pretty big investment to buy a matching pear and a huge center stone, even a colored stone, and then have a custom setting made. Would you not rather just make this stone a pendant and put all that money into a new e-ring???

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1355963896|3336083 said:
nielseel|1355963649|3336078 said:
diamondseeker2006|1355962558|3336057 said:
Here is one, but it doesn't say the size of the pears (but they are smaller than yours, I am sure):

https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/round-diamond-engagement-ring

I dont know but i think this is the same one stone and it say .9 ct pear sides ?
https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/three-stone-classic-ring

Yes, and the center stone is 5 carats which makes it proportional. You'd have a pretty big investment to buy a matching pear and a huge center stone, even a colored stone, and then have a custom setting made. Would you not rather just make this stone a pendant and put all that money into a new e-ring???

I am not sure I would. Frankly I think it would be fabulous, I just want all my options so I can make a good decision.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're welcome nielseel.
IMO- you can go hand forged,in general, the better makers all will angle the stones properly for the finger size.
But on a project like this a lot of people are probably better served by one of well priced CAD houses.
Again, the better makers will allow for angle- plus with a cad, you get to see the angle before they make it.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about your pear with traps or bullets as side-stones?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh traps and bullets make me melt! I am just not sure i can do it with a pear.

To be honest- though i know they arent for everyone, i am seriously considering the idea with a oval or round chartam sapphire, or a spinel. I think it would be absolutly fantastic. Especially if i could find someone to precision cut one. And i would probably have leon do the ring I would want something real but obviously i dont have that kind of money so lab created i would be comfortable with. I dont even tbink id be comfortsble wearing a ring worth more than 10k

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are my thoughts: I think your pear would make a kick a$$ pendant -- just cut the shank off the setting its in NOW, add a bail, and voila! Absolutely amazing pendant I would kill for. Then you can start fresh and get something just right for an engagement style ring later one when funds allow! And in the meantime you could get a killer wedding band, maybe a lovely huge five stone with RBs that would cost less than the resets you are pondering.

I was engaged with a sapphire in a solitaire mount. I reset it twice into different three stone styles. I still was not happy. And then for about a year and a half I posted about a million threads on PS trying to think of ways to set my sapphire so that I loved it. I thought of everything! I was trying desperately to love that stone. I see a lot of similarity with my earlier threads and your recent ones. And that is why I post the advice that I do: Because I have been there. It seems you do not welcome that advice, but I am posting it anyways because I want to help, and lurkers read these threads who might appreciate my advice even if you do not.

In the end I got something totally different that I did love, it was about five years later. With many stops and starts along the way.

I wish I had just done what I recommended to you -- set my sapphire in a halo pendant and got an amazing blingy wedding band to wear solo, then saved for what I wanted. Rather than spinning my wheels trying to find a way to love something I obviously would never love in the way I wanted, mostly in the interest of saving money or not "wasting" something.

My sappire is now it the setting that my husband proposed with. And I look at it regularly in my jewelery box with love. And I wear the totally different ring that I got six years after getting engaged.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I also thought about a honking colored stone with diamond sides for a long time. Think hard about that -- I think some people are colored gem people and some are diamond people. For me, as much as I would like to love colored stones for an engagement ring, I need a diamond for that key piece. There are personal reasons for that, and people vary, but my point is to consider whether you will be happy with a colored gem ring, even one with diamond sides, and not a diamond. Perhaps buy a fake/inexpensive replica to wear in the style you want with a cheap colored stone and fake sides (I know there are a bunch of companies that make rings like that, fun fashion ones), to see if it satisfies you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See dreamer my problem is my fi thinks selling my ring is tacky. That only people who break up sell there rings. Obviously this isnt true but never the less thats how it sits. So yojr right i will just have to bide my time for about a year until i have the funds available. Ill probably turn it into a pendent sense i have to keep it. But i knkw he would feel better if it was still on my finger. Which is why i am trying so hard to find a way to make it work. But its looking more and more like i just cant. My tentative plan is come next jan to just turn my ring into a pendent and make a 5 stone with a 8 mm ish stwp cut chatham sapp and diamond traps and bullets

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people on here sell their rings to get something bigger. I almost did that and just ended up falling in love with my 3 stone again. It seems your FI has an attachment to your ring (as does my DH which was another reason I kept it), so turning into a pendent sounds perfect. My question is...do you like sapphires? You've never mentioned them before, and I would hate for you to get a sapphire find out you cant stand it and back to square one again. If you enjoy the 3 stone with the RB and pear sides, I'd save for that. Don't get something just for the heck of getting something new. A RHR or a band might help with the desire for something new...What is your ultimate wish for your new ring?? Would just getting a new band for now help?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1356109022|3337379 said:
A lot of people on here sell their rings to get something bigger. I almost did that and just ended up falling in love with my 3 stone again. It seems your FI has an attachment to your ring (as does my DH which was another reason I kept it), so turning into a pendent sounds perfect. My question is...do you like sapphires? You've never mentioned them before, and I would hate for you to get a sapphire find out you cant stand it and back to square one again. If you enjoy the 3 stone with the RB and pear sides, I'd save for that. Don't get something just for the heck of getting something new. A RHR or a band might help with the desire for something new...What is your ultimate wish for your new ring?? Would just getting a new band for now help?

Actually i originally stumbled onto ps by going intk the colored stones forum and looking for sapphires. But i found it too dificult and i coukd decide what color i really wanted haha. I thought diamonds would be easier. Haha

A step cut 5 stone is probably my dream ring. But i thought that was out of reach and i wanted a pear better cause i love the shape. But thr lackof sparkle makes me sad. A diamond should sparkle. I have different expectations of a sapphire. So i dont think it woukd disappoint

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1356109652|3337387 said:

Actually i originally stumbled onto ps by going intk the colored stones forum and looking for sapphires. But i found it too dificult and i coukd decide what color i really wanted haha. I thought diamonds would be easier. Haha

A step cut 5 stone is probably my dream ring. But i thought that was out of reach and i wanted a pear better cause i love the shape. But thr lackof sparkle makes me sad. A diamond should sparkle. I have different expectations of a sapphire. So i dont think it woukd disappoint

Well sapphires do not sparkle like diamonds! So I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I have two sapphires on either side of my diamond and there just isn't a comparison! The faceting on the sapphires is great, but I can only see them in certain lights, day light and our bathroom light. Everything else, they just look very dark. If you want a step cut 5 stone, I suggest saving for it now. They will run you quite a bit, so the earlier you start saving for it the better. If you like sapphires, maybe a 7 stone sapphire and diamond band for now might be what you need...I would spend a bit more time thinking about all your options. I think a step cut ring on you would look fabulous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1356111424|3337410 said:
nielseel|1356109652|3337387 said:

Well sapphires do not sparkle like diamonds! So I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I have two sapphires on either side of my diamond and there just isn't a comparison! The faceting on the sapphires is great, but I can only see them in certain lights, da
y light and our bathroom light. Everything else, they just look very dark. If you want a step cut 5 stone, I suggest saving for it now. They will run you quite a bit, so the earlier you start saving for it the better. If you like sapphires, maybe a 7 stone sapphire and diamond band for now might be what you need...I would spend a bit more time thinking about all your options. I think a step cut ring on you would look fabulous!
like i said my issue with the pear is my expectations for diamonds. I knkw sapphires dont sparkle. So i wouldnt be dissapointed because it meets my expectations. If i cant have sparkle i want color. Right now i have neither

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Ok...well how DO you feel about getting a band for now?? smaller aca cut rounds will provide immense sparkle and that way you don't have to spend as much right now and can save for your dream ring. Can I ask why step cuts for your dream ring? They don't sparkle that much either...Their step design just allows them to glow and shine, but you won't get the sparkle from an emerald cut or asscher like you will from a round or cushion....just saying and trying to throw ideas and suggestions out there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love the art deco look of step cuts. I know nothing will sparkle like a rb but oh oh gosh they bore me. I probably wont get a band now because i want a plain wedding band i never have to take off. As it sits now id wear my e ring until the wedding and thrn just wear the plain band until my ring is finished. Which honestly having the sapphire lab created i know i could complete my dream ring by early 2014. Which is just a few months after my wedding.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your pear could work with a 3-6 carat as centre, but that's very very large.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are going to need a super huge center stone to use your current stone has a sidestone in order to look proportional. If you think finding the right diamond is hard, finding the right coloured stone is 10x harder. It isn't necessarily less expensive either.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vIf a step cut diamond five stone is your dream ring why would you buy a sapphire of any sort - lab created or otherwise?

Like Dreamer said a "well I couldn't have what I wanted so I settled for this" ring is very unlikely to scratch the itch your dream ring has inspired.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results