shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Preference?

egorr85

Rough_Rock
OK,

I have it down to two choices I think (Thank you for everyones input over the last couple weeks)... The two stones are from James Allen... Info and IS below... which one do you prefer... The gemologist description is below as well:

Diamond 1:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...h-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-215515

IS Diamond 1:

Diamond 2:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-245516

IS Diamond 2:

Gemologist Opinion:
"I am happy to tell you that the gemologist found the 1.50 carat-H-VVS1 (diamond 1) to be the best performer of the three. It has an excellent amount of brilliance (white light return), with a great amount of fire (dispersion of color) and sparkle that is well balanced and symmetrical. It is a true "H" in color and faces up a nice white. The 1.60 carat-H-VS1 (diamond 2) is a very close second. It has an excellent amount of brilliance, fire and sparkle that is also well balanced; it was just a little weaker than the 1.50 carat. It too is a true "H" in color and face up a nice white.

Is it just me or does it look like the first diamond was tilted in the IS? Should I be worried that the first diamond is not XXX as well? Between the two I probably would have picked the second one, but the gemologist seems to think differently... Which one would you choose? Thanks for the help!!!!

Attachments

• is1.bmp
    263.7 KB · Views: 491
  • is2.bmp
    262.8 KB · Views: 494

egorr85

Rough_Rock
HCA on Diamond 1 is : 0.9

HCA on Diamond 2 is : 1.3

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between those two, I'd probably go with #2 - at 7.5mm it will face up noticeably larger - the gemologist said it was a very close second so I wouldn't expect a real difference in performance (especially without #1 in hand for comparison) - but I do think the face-up size between 7.52mm and 7.30mm will be easily visible. Just my opinion - I think you can safely go with either one.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Based on those two images, I would chose #2. I also like the size of 2. minimal... but hey!...

jdamian123

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert - but I would go for the #2 stone

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Tough call! I own a diamond with very similar proportions to the first stone and I adore it's light performance as it leans more towards colored light return. BUT, number two also has good proportions and corresponding IS, I like the fatter arrows and additional size, and the gemologist feels it's a very close second. I suppose it depends on what it is that you are looking for, stone two should have a very nice balance of white and colored light and will face up larger. Diamond one may have more colored light return, and has a gorgeous tall crown, but faces up smaller....

I don't think that you can go wrong either way. However, you may want to consider that if you ever decide to sell this stone, you will be selling it with a GIA VG cut report, and many people shy away from that so you may find the diamond harder to sell even though it would be an AGS 1 candidate (knocked for VG polish). That alone would be enough to sway many people to go with stone number two. You could of course have the stone submitted to AGS for you in the event that you ever did decide to sell, the risk being that it may not come back AGS1, but something else, though I'd find comfort in knowing that the gemologist preferred stone 1 over stone 2.

Interested in hearing what you decide! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely #2 for me. It has almost a perfect idealscope image and appears to be a wonderfully cut stone! It has perfect numbers and the other is too deep. #2 faces up larger and this is a definite visual difference in size. No contest between these two for me.

(I often find their gemologists recommendations perplexing because I see no way someone could say the 1.6 stone would be inferior in ANY way to the other one. It's almost like they just pick one out of a hat to recommend because they think the customer might be indecisive without a recommendation.)

egorr85

Rough_Rock
This is so small and silly... but the one thing that bugs me about diamond two is the possiblity of seeing that inclusion on one of the smaller up facing facets after it is mounted... I know its eye clean from 10 inches... but I am a science nerd and am gonna be critical of every little thing :p

Actually that sparks a good question i was curious abuot... typically how much does a prong (standard) cover the diamond?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think that it's worth mentioning that stone 1 has a painted girdle. That in itself isn't always a bad thing IMO, but it will change the 'flavor' and character of the diamond. Stone 2 is probably your 'safer' option if you haven't had an opportunity to view stones in person that have had girdle enhancements.

Here are a couple articles explaining the impact of these enhancements

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/NewCutGrading/Painting/

http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=news-detail&id=2

egorr85

Rough_Rock
If no one will fight for Diamond #1 I think we have a winner :)

This is going to get very specific but does anyone have experience with a good jeweler in MN who will set this for me? Maybe even a custom Jeweler... Someone who will work with me, not just sell me a production ring...

thank you all for this help!!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
egorr85|1378229722|3514061 said:
If no one will fight for Diamond #1 I think we have a winner :)

This is going to get very specific but does anyone have experience with a good jeweler in MN who will set this for me? Maybe even a custom Jeweler... Someone who will work with me, not just sell me a production ring...

thank you all for this help!!!!

Yay!! I'm glad you chose #2! It's gonna be a stunner, for sure! :appl: What type of setting does she like a and what is your setting budget? You don't necessarily have to go totally custom to get a nice ring, but if your budget allows, then it's definitely worth looking into! :D

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 seems to be a beautiful diamond - I don't think you'll be disappointed!!

Is there anything on the JA site that you'd be interested using for your setting?? I think I have read that other PSer's have had them customize settings - the SA you have spoken w may be able to assist you with modifications.

egorr85

Rough_Rock
I know exactly what she wants.... I suppose any suggestions for the most elegant 6-prong solitare setting may have to be started in a new thread :) money isnt much of an issue... but would like to keep the setting less than $3000

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
egorr85|1378233453|3514091 said:
I know exactly what she wants.... I suppose any suggestions for the most elegant 6-prong solitare setting may have to be started in a new thread :) money isnt much of an issue... but would like to keep the setting less than $3000

As in the Vatche U-113? The one that is the classic Tiffany 6 prong setting? Several PS vendors carry that including GOG and IDJ. Having your diamond couriered from JA to any of the PS vendors should be easy to arrange. This does happen often, on a regular basis, so they would be able to handle that for you. (possibly for a fee - you'd have to explore that)

Unless you meant something else....? Do you have a pic of what it is she'd like?

egorr85

Rough_Rock
Yeah that is basically what I am looking for....

Vatche U-113:

Would it be possible to find this ring at a local jeweler (MN), or am I going to have to do everything online?

Attachments

• solitare.bmp
    5.7 MB · Views: 352

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd have to go to the Vatche site and see if there is a jeweler in your area that carries their line. If so, they can send your diamond to Vatche so they can make the setting to fit your stone. If not, you'll have to use a PS vendor such as Good Old Gold. I have that setting and got mine through them.

http://www.dvatche.com/index.php

Oh, and you do not need to worry about clarity in a VS1 stone. It is hard to see inclusions with a 10x loupe in a VS1.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I have looked at a number of twin cities jewelers and frankly there are not that many good choices (thus I went on-line). The best Jeweler in the twin cities IMHO is Wixon Jeweler's that specializes in 1 ct plus, but their prices are high. I wasn't looking at solitaires though so might be worth a shot...they don't carry vatche though. Other than that, maybe RF Moeller. I have purchased from them and they are good jeweler but some of the sales people can be "sales people" (politely put). I had a quote for CAD at both wixon's and Jared and they were both about $3800 for a round with 2 pear shaped diamonds in platinum (all diamonds excluded in the price), so not cheap. It might be worth a shot to have Steven Kirsch quote on a custom made solitaire. Based on my experience with him, it may come in budget (definitely on the high side though), but I am not sure. I am sure JA would send the diamond to him...

Good luck! I am sure the diamond will be beautiful!!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I also would select #2 it is slightly larger and the ideal scope looks terrific....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results