shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinions on the Quad Princess Invisible Set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading & searching websites and couldn''t find anything about the Quad Invisible Princess Set. My GF loves this style of ring because its "Big" But reading this site I''m guessing these rings are inferior in quality that is why they are grouped together like they are. I know nothing of the setting, personally it looks like one of those diamonds could pop out.

My GF told me when the time would come to buy a ring, SHE must pick it out.
emteeth.gif
Fine by me she is the one wearing it.
Here are a few things on her wish list.
-- She wants a big ring because she is 5''9" and fairly large hands and a dinky ring would look dumb that is why she likes this ring.
-- She would rather have size over quality (I personally don''t want to buy junk)
-- She wants a wider band
-- Princess cut - at least a carat
-- White gold or platinum
-- She said she will help pay for the ring if it means more ring
emotion-5.gif
when the time comes
-- I''m not opposed to buying online, I''ve seen the price differences.

I''m not quite sure what my budget is, I have been collecting my change for 12 years since I was 17 and single knowing someday I will want to buy a great ring. I''m thinking my budget would max out at $5,000
Time is on my side I don''t think I''ll be proposing until sometime this summer.

Ok so here are my questions:
-- Is the quad princess invisible set junk?
-- Has anyone had any success at buying at jewelry trade shows? If so, where and how can I do it?
-- You can be brutally honest.

Below is the invisible set from Zales.
pZALE1-3223253t240.jpg

Details:
Diamond Total Weight (CT. T.W.) 2
GIA Clarity I2
GIA Color H - I
Lifetime Diamond Commitment Yes
Gold Karat 14K
Metal Color White
Metal Type Gold
Standard Ring Size 7
Stone Shape Princess
Stone Type Diamond
$4999.00

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

I would NOT buy a quad set/invisible set ring for an everyday engagement ring. I t will not hold up for a lifetime.

I do have a quad set pendant/ pirncess cut and it is very beautfiul. But I don''t wear it everyday and more importantly, pendants don''t take the stress of rings, don''t get banged up, etc.

For $5,000 you should be able to get a nice 1ct princess with a wide band like she wants.

I think you are far better off dropping color to H or I and clarity to SI1 or so and sticking with ONE stone instead of 4 stones made to look like one.

I would focus on cut, cut, cut. A beautiful cut in a 1ct stone would be amazing.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Invisible set rings are indeed beautiful but aren''t really practical for every day wear.

The diamonds are held in place by pressure, generally with wires running below the stones. If you''d happen to knock one loose or loose a stone, the whole set could go. And, invisible sets are very expensive to repair. Each stone is hand selected to work in conjunction with the others.

As Asscherisme suggested, you''d be better off with one center stone with the size of the look you want to achieve.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the previous posters that while this design can be quite lovely it is not the best choice for an engagement ring and I don''t like the I2 clarity either. I would go with a princess solitaire on a wide band or perhaps do a halo around a princess cut stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:55:27 AM
Author:coach_x+
I''ve been reading & searching websites and couldn''t find anything about the Quad Invisible Princess Set. My GF loves this style of ring because its ''Big'' But reading this site I''m guessing these rings are inferior in quality that is why they are grouped together like they are. I know nothing of the setting, personally it looks like one of those diamonds could pop out.

My GF told me when the time would come to buy a ring, SHE must pick it out.
emteeth.gif
Fine by me she is the one wearing it.
Here are a few things on her wish list.
-- She wants a big ring because she is 5''9'' and fairly large hands and a dinky ring would look dumb that is why she likes this ring.
-- She would rather have size over quality (I personally don''t want to buy junk)
-- She wants a wider band
-- Princess cut - at least a carat
-- White gold or platinum
-- She said she will help pay for the ring if it means more ring
emotion-5.gif
when the time comes
-- I''m not opposed to buying online, I''ve seen the price differences.

I''m not quite sure what my budget is, I have been collecting my change for 12 years since I was 17 and single knowing someday I will want to buy a great ring. I''m thinking my budget would max out at $5,000
Time is on my side I don''t think I''ll be proposing until sometime this summer.

Ok so here are my questions:
-- Is the quad princess invisible set junk?
-- Has anyone had any success at buying at jewelry trade shows? If so, where and how can I do it?
-- You can be brutally honest.

Below is the invisible set from Zales.
pZALE1-3223253t240.jpg

Details:
Diamond Total Weight (CT. T.W.) 2
GIA Clarity I2
GIA Color H - I
Lifetime Diamond Commitment Yes
Gold Karat 14K
Metal Color White
Metal Type Gold
Standard Ring Size 7
Stone Shape Princess
Stone Type Diamond
$4999.00
yeah with a clarity of I2 they''re not that impressive, and for 5k you can get probably a whole close to 1 carat or so that is excellently cut with good clarity. That said, I would rather have a ring with 4 princess stones stuck together than maybe 1 tiny one LOL But for 5k I''d spend it in a different way for sure. http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-36827.htm

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 11:25:53 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Channel-Set-with-Princess-Diamonds_992.htm

the stone I put above with this setting - under 5k. This is what I would do.
wooops, okay so just OVER 5k but still... there are other settings that are much cheaper if 5k is the budget. Anyway for under 5.5k you get a ring with BETTER princess cuts across the band AND a full 1 carat ACA princess cut diamond. The 1 carat might not cover as much space as the 4 littles, but it'll be far more impressive!!
/images/site/g_lostF.jpg
/images/site/d_lostF.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:55:27 AM
Author:coach_x+

Okay so I''m slow and don''t read everything first haha - what I suggested is pretty close to 5k - anyway... I just wanted to say that it is SOOOOO SWEET that you''ve been saving since you were a teenager!! most guys I knew at that age were never gonna get married (so they thought LOL)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I did not notice it was I2 until others pointed that out. I would not not not buy an I1 or I2 at all.

That ring is seriously overpriced. I will go on further and say not to buy from Zales. I''m not a big fan of mall stores. You will find people on here calling them maul stores because they sell lots of low quality at rip off prices.

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
You guys have been a great amount of help.

Yeah Zales....I kinda expected their quality and price.

Another funny thing, for fun we went into Tiffany's and well she picked out a ring to try on and the lady said "that ring is above my level anything over $50,000 we would have to take you to a private viewing room"
emdgust.gif
We felt pretty dumb when she asked our price range, my GF was ticked when I went silent and didn't talk. "Why didn't you help me out?" lol

As far as my change collection my one container weighs 60 lbs in coin with many bills as well. Kinda fun.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
coach, first off, I LOVE your dog..soooo adorable..

ok, as for the ring, I''m with the others that you''ve got a nice budget and I''d go for the biggest princess stone you can afford, also you might want to work with a vendor that offers an upgrade policy so you could upgrade to a larger stone when budget allowed.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she wants a "big look" (and MAN I can relate -- size 10 1/2 here .. also 5''9) ... another way to go is a "halo" ... which is a rim of tiny diamonds around the center stone.

Depending on how much is in your MOUND O'' CHANGE ... something couples do sometimes is the fella buys the center stone and the chickidee buys the setting. You''d mentioned she said she''d be willing to contribute for BIG
2.gif
. Sounds like a fine Pricescope recruit!
9.gif

To see pictures of princess stones in a halo .. type "princess halo" into the search bar & a lot of threads will come up. Ritini is one designer that makes Square halos ... and they can be custom made to fit every size diamond by Pricescope vendors like Whiteflash, ERD, Good Old Gold, James Allen ... etc etc etc.

Good luck!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Pearlman''s Jewelers carries a designer called Chris Correia. I immediately thought of this type of ring when you described your situation. This one is a 1 carat princess and lists at $5436.
01D13.jpg

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 12:25:17 PM
Author: Upgradable
Pearlman''s Jewelers carries a designer called Chris Correia. I immediately thought of this type of ring when you described your situation. This one is a 1 carat princess and lists at $5436.
01D13.jpg

That is really cool!

Great find.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have one of those quad princess rings, but mine had two rows of round, chanel set diamonds in the band. I wore it every day. I loved the setting, and actually thought about replacing the 4 small center stones with one large one when we first started talking about getting engaged. I wanted one solid diamond in the center for my e-ring. In the end, I decided I really wanted a RB anyway, so ended up trading that ring in on my current set.

As others have said, I would stay away from the I1's and I2's. That ring from Pearlmans in the post above is gorgeous!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

01D13.jpg

I''m guessing that that price includes only the setting and not the center stone though. The setting is beautiful though.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I used to work for a jeweler and he would not even buy invisable set jewelry because there''s no guarantee it won''t fall out. Halo is the way to go for a bigger look

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock

01D13.jpg

It is a beautiful ring, but alas, the center stone is not included.

"Item: 01D1 - Chris correia ladies platinum pave diamond ring for a 1ct princess cut with .30cts of full cut diamonds. Does not include center diamond. Price: $5,436.00"

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/chris-correia-jewelry/rings/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the suggestion of H-I SI1 diamond. And with suggesting a sit down with your lady regarding the ring. You can get a good 1 carat diamond for 5 K. It might be best to spilt the cost of the ring between you. You get the diamond, she gets the setting.

Good luck!
Found this too... but I prefer the one Ms.S posted.
http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/9-Engagement%20Mountings-73-2679-000-Lady-s-Natalie-K-diamond-and-platinum-engagement-ring-mounting-and-wedding-band-set-000-.html

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of these rings for an engagement ring. Personal preference.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 11:58:22 AM
Author: coach_x+
You guys have been a great amount of help.

Yeah Zales....I kinda expected their quality and price.

Another funny thing, for fun we went into Tiffany''s and well she picked out a ring to try on and the lady said ''that ring is above my level anything over $50,000 we would have to take you to a private viewing room''
emdgust.gif
We felt pretty dumb when she asked our price range, my GF was ticked when I went silent and didn''t talk. ''Why didn''t you help me out?'' lol

As far as my change collection my one container weighs 60 lbs in coin with many bills as well. Kinda fun.
yeah when I went to robbins bros I "doubled" my budget.... when I went to tiffany''s I quadrupled it LOL You gotta do that to SEE what you''d get elsewhere for less!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I agree that you can do better. Bluenile.com has a similar setting, you can do a 1 ct princess I VS1 for about 5K. They also have a discount for mastercard holders. Obviously this wouldn't include the band, but I wouldn't settle for the Zales set.

DM49400100_PR_100_200zoom.jpg

ETA: Sorry, I checked and I guess they don't do that discount anymore.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Have you at all conisdered getting something estate? You may be able to find something in a princess cut, a bit larger, lower quality, and sizeable if it was previously owned for a good deal. Try even going on a Craig''s List or the local paper for rings people may be selling. Buying a diamond privately is a good way to get something you normally could not afford for a better deal than at a jewlery store and making your own. That way you don''t worry about going over budget with setting, you see it and buy it, and pay a little bit to resize if need be. Try going to a local estate jewler or (God forbid) a higher end pawnshop. My friend bought a G SI1 1.2ct oval at FAR less the cost that way and she reset it as a pendant and put a gemstone in the ring it came in.

Just an option, but good luck!

Dory

Rough_Rock
I think it looks really pretty in the picture. But, the I2 would worry me. If I was going to pay that price for a ring, I would want at least SI diamonds. I''m sure online friends could find you a much better diamond deal, but if she really likes the ring at Zales, and the diamonds look good in person, then maybe you should get it. First, let her shop around and look at better cut and clairity stones. If after that, she STILL likes it. best, then get it. I work with a young lady who has a quad princess in two tone, it looks really pretty on her. It does look like one large stone, unless you look closely. She is beautiful anyway, any diamond would look nice on her, as I am sure your GF is the same. She may just have her heart already set on that particular one!
4.gif

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 11:34:27 PM
Author: Dory
I think it looks really pretty in the picture. But, the I2 would worry me. If I was going to pay that price for a ring, I would want at least SI diamonds. I''m sure online friends could find you a much better diamond deal, but if she really likes the ring at Zales, and the diamonds look good in person, then maybe you should get it. First, let her shop around and look at better cut and clairity stones. If after that, she STILL likes it. best, then get it. I work with a young lady who has a quad princess in two tone, it looks really pretty on her. It does look like one large stone, unless you look closely. She is beautiful anyway, any diamond would look nice on her, as I am sure your GF is the same. She may just have her heart already set on that particular one!
4.gif

What is interesting many of the B&M Jewelers who have this style ring have told me the diamonds were not certified because there were too many diamonds. I have seen some BAD Quad''s where there were gaps and didn''t look good at all! Overall crap.

My GF isn''t completely sold on anything yet. However she didn''t like the idea when I wanted to take her to a Pawn shop to look at rings.
emotion-18.gif
I was given "The Look" I then told her "Honey, Ican buy a box from any jeweler and you would never know. "YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE" lol....

I was also told a friend of a friend is a jeweler and would hook me up when the time comes.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 2:09:50 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''m not a fan of these rings for an engagement ring. Personal preference.
Me neither.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
This isn''t a great princess but I love the setting and I think it makes the stone look big. If size is what she wants...
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1510

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I also like this setting for your price range
http://www.faycullen.com/antique_ring_settings/500/167m1d.html
white gold for $1,195 and plat for only $200 more

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 12:37:41 PM
Author: InlovewithJHK
I also like this setting for your price range
http://www.faycullen.com/antique_ring_settings/500/167m1d.html
white gold for $1,195 and plat for only $200 more
p.jpg

a pic for the lazy

WOW I really like that one! It looks rich.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results