shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this diamond and light performance software!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Post some pictures and videos of it please!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Guys, does anyone want to come to Italy on holiday with his scope&ASET tools?! :D

I’ll be there in May but don’t have any scopes, so I’m useless :lol:. I feel like someone here posted a DIY way to make an ASET scope with colored paper. I’ve also seen DIY scopes using a toilet paper roll. I wish I could point you to the posts, but maybe try doing a search? Or maybe someone else can post links to the posts.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Yes, unfortunately I guess these are questions you should have asked before purchase. Buying an ACA is an easy way to buy a diamond as all of this is laid out before you decide to purchase. They are more expensive as more rough is lost to cut them and all of these images are provided but can be money well spent. It is not always easy to choose a well cut diamond on your own and without images, almost impossible. Let’s hope that you love the diamond but if not, I guess you will have to bear the expense of returning it. I would rather spend the money instead of keeping something I didn’t love. I think at this point you have just got to sit back and wait for it to arrive. In questioning about the images and such, you can talk yourself into it being inferior before it arrives. Hopefully, it will be a winner for you!

Ditto.

Hi @Pie88tro!
I'm no expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt:
numbers are ok: there should be no heavy light leakage;
my main concern is that you bought "unseen" a VS2 diamond with flaws on the table ...they could be visibile with naked eye...

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
I am very ashamed but I could not take better photos without a macro lens!
Keep in mind that it's a surprise (so I have to do it secretly) and I have a one year old baby to follow...so forgive me!
If these are useless, I try to make them better tomorrow...
(P.S. I don't know how to share videos... :/ )

IMG_20230320_151452 copia.jpg

IMG_20230320_151829.jpg

IMG_20230320_152443 copia.jpg IMG_20230320_152703.jpg IMG_20230320_153741.jpg IMG_20230320_154143 copia.jpg

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
Every lab has its "range" : GIA, IGI, HRD have similar range, while AGS range is stricter...but in Italy AGS isn't considered a worlwide reputable lab, so most of italian jewellers only buy and sell HRD, IGI and GIA.

This is true! That's why I preferred GIA instead of the others (IGI and HRD).

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
With my lens I really cannot see the super ideal cut "black cross" (as Kaycee2018 amazing profile photo) :)

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Now my question is: why GIA judge "Excellent cut" if the cut could be not excellent? Why do they use a scale with so few values? If a lot of diamonds for GIA are "excellent cut" this information loses its value and becomes useless...

Numbers are numbers and are accurate within the measurament tolerance, but excellent/very good/fair should be taken as an opinion: the lab is stating that, in its experence , a diamond with that numbers should be ex/vg/fair.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that it's a surprise (so I have to do it secretly) and I have a one year old baby to follow...so forgive me!

IMG_20230320_151829.jpg

IMG_20230320_152443 copia.jpg IMG_20230320_152703.jpg IMG_20230320_153741.jpg IMG_20230320_154143 copia.jpg

Looks decent! You can use a site like Imgur to upload and link videos to, if you want.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With my lens I really cannot see the super ideal cut "black cross" (as Kaycee2018 amazing profile photo) :)
Thanks, @Pie88tro . My diamond is a GIA ExExEx with specs that lie within ”super ideal” range, but it isn’t a super ideal branded diamond and it wasn’t purchased from a super ideal vendor. I selected it using the info and advice here (basically the same due diligence you’ve done except my vendor was able to provide a ASET and Hearts & Arrows images). As others have mentioned, GIA’s Excellent cut range is larger than PS recommends for top light performance, especially when all the averaging and rounding is taken into consideration. But that doesn‘t mean the diamond you selected is a dud by any means. And based on my limited knowledge of diamonds availability in Europe, I’d wager it knocks the socks off what you would typically find locally. You’ve done more diamond research than most and I‘m sure the result is a fabulous diamond that your soon-to-be fiancé will cherish.

entaro

Rough_Rock

IMG_20230320_151829.jpg

looks eye clean to me , Gratz!!

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
Thanks, @Pie88tro . My diamond is a GIA ExExEx with specs that lie within ”super ideal” range, but it isn’t a super ideal branded diamond and it wasn’t purchased from a super ideal vendor. I selected it using the info and advice here (basically the same due diligence you’ve done except my vendor was able to provide a ASET and Hearts & Arrows images). As others have mentioned, GIA’s Excellent cut range is larger than PS recommends for top light performance, especially when all the averaging and rounding is taken into consideration. But that doesn‘t mean the diamond you selected is a dud by any means. And based on my limited knowledge of diamonds availability in Europe, I’d wager it knocks the socks off what you would typically find locally. You’ve done more diamond research than most and I‘m sure the result is a fabulous diamond that your soon-to-be fiancé will cherish.

WOW, amazing experience!

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
Looks decent! You can use a site like Imgur to upload and link videos to, if you want.

Decent?! I didn't buy a bike to get this diamond! Lol

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
Today I will try to upload some videos.

To complete my case study (may also be useful for others). I paid this diamond 8231$ (7868 Euro) (with a -3% wire transfer discount + 24% Italian customs&taxes)

On WF, the price for a ACA diamond with similar characteristics (-3% wire transfer discount and +24 Italian customs&taxes) should be around: 10220$ (9550 Euro).

The different is about 2000$ (1700 Euro).

I know, it'sdifficult to give a precise estimate (a lot of variables), but in "hand-spans":

Is the price right for my diamond?

In my opinion the difference is not huge: I risked too much and the best choice was the ACA diamond.

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
One more consideration about the italian diamond market.

Most people here buy diamonds in jewelry, without any knowledge about price, characteristics, ecc. and without looking at the diamond in natural light.

Online all major sites stress the importance of taking AT LEAST one carat. I have read several posts here on PS (for example Garry H (Cut Nut)'s posts) who talk about this "problem" and I think I fell in too. I seriously think my stone could have haven a super ideal cut about 0.95c or similar. Again, my fault.

On one of most famous Italian online seller (who said AT LEAST one carat) XXX diamonds with similar characteristics are around 10110 Euro, the difference is about 2200 Euro (2400 $).

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
@Pie88tro : you did a good job, your diamond looks beautiful to me!
Look at it in different enviroments and different lights: if you like it, stop thinking about numbers, certificates...

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post videos in several different lighting conditions on your hand?
To do that, you have to post your videos to an outside source, like Rumble, Imgur or YouTube and then post the link here.
What do YOU think of the diamond now that you’ve seen it?

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
Can you post videos in several different lighting conditions on your hand?
To do that, you have to post your videos to an outside source, like Rumble, Imgur or YouTube and then post the link here.
What do YOU think of the diamond now that you’ve seen it?

I will try to do it as you suggest! I think it's not bad...but my opinion doesn't count, it's the first diamond in my hand and I can't compare! :)

Pie88tro

Rough_Rock
@Pie88tro : you did a good job, your diamond looks beautiful to me!
Look at it in different enviroments and different lights: if you like it, stop thinking about numbers, certificates...

I'm a physicist, I love numbers and the optical properties of diamonds! :D
Anyway you are right, it was just to give a complete picture to this topic :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very nice too! She will love it I am sure. Best wishes to you both - come back with hand shots once you have proposed!!

entaro

Rough_Rock
I will try to do it as you suggest! I think it's not bad...but my opinion doesn't count, it's the first diamond in my hand and I can't compare! :)

your opinion counts, beauty is at the eye of the beholder , as long as you and your other half like it!

I agreed with others, your diamond looks excellente!! Gratz!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly has the sparkle factor!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 2 cents, but reading between the lines I think YOU need the confirmation of performance images to feel warm & fuzzy with the purchase.

If I were in your shoes and wanted that confirmation I would just spend the $50 or so to get an ASET scope and learn how to read the images. It's fairly easy to do. More info below if you decide to go that path.

https://www.pricescope.com/education/diamond-cut#ideal-scope

pricescope-education-005-diamond-cut-ideal-scope-aset-AB-e1615240503891-1024x999.jpg

pricescope-education-005-diamond-cut-ideal-scope-aset-C-1024x576.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To complete my case study (may also be useful for others). I paid this diamond 8231$ (7868 Euro) (with a -3% wire transfer discount + 24% Italian customs&taxes)

If I understood your post correctly, your total out-of-pocket cost was $8,231 USD, after the 3% discount and addition of 24% VAT. Effectively a 21% add for you.

So to get to base cost of the diamond, we do simple math: $8,231 / 1.21 = $6,802 wire price

Using the PS diamond search, I cranked down the search parameters to get you a sample pool that closely represented what you actually bought. I see prices from about $5,930 to $8,727.

To dissect those prices further, around $7,000+ is where you begin to dip into H&A stones if you would have used a supplier like JA. There is one JA TH stone listed at $6,500 but it has a cluster of clouds on the table and I wonder if it's truly eye clean in all lighting environments.

So I think you paid on the upper end for virtual inventory, but I also think you got a stone with highly sought after cut proportions (57 table, 61.8 depth, 34.5/40.8, etc) that we would have recommended.

Customized PS Diamond Search

Filter Criteria:
1.00 to 1.06 carats
G color only
VS2 clarity only
None to faint fluorescence only
55 to 57 table
60.5 to 62 depth
Excellent to ideal symmetry
Excellent to ideal polish
GIA or AGS labs only
In-house or virtual inventory

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You done good, now enjoy it and love it.
I think you got a fair deal on a stone with no large issues at a fair price that fit your budget.
That's a win to me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results