shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion of this 2.49ct

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks promising to me from the numbers and computer generated ASET.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
any concerns over the 36 degree crown?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, not if the rest of the proportions are complementary (which looks like they are, from the simulated ASET, but would definitely have vendor send out pics/have it shipped out to see in-person before setting to be sure you love it)

My old stone had proportions like this - 35.8/40.6. I loved that stone - it was a real fireball in all types of lighting, great choice if you like coloured light return :sun: All stones show coloured light in some lights (spotlights), white light in other lights (diffuse office lights), in 'middle' types of lights some stones with certain shallower proportions will err toward white light and others, like this one, will err toward coloured light... having had a "shallower type" and this stone back to back, the shallower one (33.5/40.6) was always a bright white spot that shot white sparks in most lighting types - the 36/40.6 was always a dimmer spot that was more likely to throw off coloured flashes in those same lighting types.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I'm not worried sick even though it looked great to my eyes against other ags0 stones. I fear it creating dark spots. I know the center is green on the image, but it still seemed to jump and be lively in person...very lively.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrb09|1309570715|2960327 said:
Thanks. I'm not worried sick even though it looked great to my eyes against other ags0 stones. I fear it creating dark spots. I know the center is green on the image, but it still seemed to jump and be lively in person...very lively.

centre (table reflection) colour red/green on ASET doesn't matter, peculiarity of ASET scope design outputs - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-aset-40-768-pavilion-on-the-ledge.29977/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-aset-40-768-pavilion-on-the-ledge.29977/[/URL]

If you saw it in-person and you loved it then I think you have your answer, no need to agonize ::)

mrb09

Rough_Rock
So after a little more research, I found out that what im looking at is a FIC diamond, "firey ideal cut" reflects more colored light, less white light. Little bit taller in the crown from what I see, but some seem to seek FIC stones for their colored flashes.

Stone looked great in person. I saw it beside a "hearts on fire" ags0 2.04ct which was smaller and equally as beautiful. But my feeling was to go for the slightly bigger stone for the thousand dollar difference.

Anything else on the cut of this stone to look for?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrb09|1309579779|2960402 said:
So after a little more research, I found out that what im looking at is a FIC diamond, "firey ideal cut" reflects more colored light, less white light. Little bit taller in the crown from what I see, but some seem to seek FIC stones for their colored flashes.

Stone looked great in person. I saw it beside a "hearts on fire" ags0 2.04ct which was smaller and equally as beautiful. But my feeling was to go for the slightly bigger stone for the thousand dollar difference.

Anything else on the cut of this stone to look for?

Compare it with the HoF in different types of lighting - in direct sunlight by a window, under the spotlit counters, in the diffuse lights in the back office, in the dimness under a desk. See which you prefer across a variety of lighting conditions.

Bigger is a matter of diametre, not carat - carat is a measurement of weight. You'll want to look at the measurements listed on the report to determine which will actually look larger - I find that I can see a difference of 0.1-0.15mm when two stones are loose side by side, to my eyes a difference of 0.25-0.3mm is memorable, and visible once set.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
I looked all over the building with them side by side. The fireworks inside the table of the HOF may have been slightly more impressive in non-direct medium natural light. In direct sunlight, filtered by the glass roof of the bldg, I think the FIC 2.49 stone took over. Back at the desk, it was 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. The HOF probably had a brighter "eye" but I'm not sure thats worth dropping a half a carat for.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HoF is known to be a very pricey brand - such a difference in price/diamond for the same price doesn't surprise me at all.

For me, having owned all three of these types ("FIC", "BIC", "TIC) - given an "FIC" that doesn't suffer the usual "FIC" con of extreme depth and thus visibly smaller spread - it's a no-brainer, but my preferences obviously may not be yours!

mrb09

Rough_Rock
It's through a family friend wholesaler, so the 2.04 HOF actually wasn't carrying a premium. In fact, it was $200 more back of RAP. It was one color higher than the 2.5 and one clarity. The difference in diameter was 8.14 (both dimensions rounded) to a 8.67...so the difference was noticeable, and memorable....however, the 8.14 was certainly nothing to scoff at!

From the diamond cutter, and gia gem on site, he believed that the 2.49 should be resubmitted for color, as we couldn't pick up any difference to the eye from h graded HOF stone, and their may have been a tiny bit more color from his h master color stone, but it was hard to tell even there. I asked if we were dealing with a high I and a low H, and they said...could be, however, they believed we were looking more at 2 H's.

I guess what's making it hard to pass of that HOF is the fact that I have seen several in retail stores that were smaller and with lower color and clarity for thousands more...and like I said, it was selling further back from rap than the 2.49 ags0. Am I just a sucker for this branded cut??? I'm afraid that may be the case....unbranded, and I'd have been able to walk away without second guessing myself...oh the power of branding! ;-)

mrb09

Rough_Rock
I just ran it through the aga cut class and it came back as a 1B. Everything was 1a, except for the 2B crown angle. Is it strange that a 36 degree crown angle came back as an ags0? everything I read seems to suggest that is outside the parameters for ags000? Now im obsessing, please help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it seems like maybe it is not mind clean for you despite what you stated in your first post :lickout:

from AGS...I think their cut grades are performance based and not just based on a set of proportions.
Diamond Cut Grade

A diamond grading report with a diamond cut grade is essential when you want a full evaluation of a diamond's quality. AGS Laboratories takes the diamond cut grade a step beyond other grading reports. The AGS Laboratories analyzes a diamond's light performance in both the quantity and quality of the light being returned to the viewer. To do this, we first measure the diamond in three dimensions, then use a powerful software program to trace the light traveling through the diamond. Once this has been done an AGS Laboratories diamond grader will analyze the diamond under a microscope for polish and symmetry.

The following are descriptions for the American Gem Society Diamond Cut Grades.

AGS Ideal® Cut — Superior craftsmanship in the diamond cutting process. All diamond cut quality factors are at the highest possible levels, and they make the maximum contribution to the diamond’s beauty and value.

• The diamonds are first measured using a computerized measuring device, which also creates a three-dimensional model.
• The diamond grader imports the information into the AGS ray-tracing software and receives values for proportions and light performance.
• The diamond grader then analyzes the girdle, the culet, the symmetry, and the polish characteristics of the diamond.

All form the three elements to the final diamond Cut Grade - Light Performance, Proportion Factors, and Finish, giving you a more thoroughly analyzed diamond, which in turn helps you make a more informed buying decision.

donblaximus

Rough_Rock
You were looking at a 2.1 vs a 2.5 and what you considered to be similar color and only $1k difference? There has to be something different about the stone no? Was the 2.1 an Si2 as well? The color jump in H causes a large premium i guess?

When comparing stones, I always found an AGS I more like a GIA J. I guess some can be graded up though?

mrb09

Rough_Rock
yes, I was surprised too that the ags I color looked so high...but it did, 3 different sets of eyes on it.

ags 2.04 "HOF" branded h si1-20.5...hca was 1.6 on it $20,000 1a aga score

ags000 2.49 i si2 hca 1.8 $21,000 1b aga score

those were the specs.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrb09|1309606059|2960508 said:
It's through a family friend wholesaler, so the 2.04 HOF actually wasn't carrying a premium. In fact, it was $200 more back of RAP. It was one color higher than the 2.5 and one clarity. The difference in diameter was 8.14 (both dimensions rounded) to a 8.67...so the difference was noticeable, and memorable....however, the 8.14 was certainly nothing to scoff at!

From the diamond cutter, and gia gem on site, he believed that the 2.49 should be resubmitted for color, as we couldn't pick up any difference to the eye from h graded HOF stone, and their may have been a tiny bit more color from his h master color stone, but it was hard to tell even there. I asked if we were dealing with a high I and a low H, and they said...could be, however, they believed we were looking more at 2 H's.

I guess what's making it hard to pass of that HOF is the fact that I have seen several in retail stores that were smaller and with lower color and clarity for thousands more...and like I said, it was selling further back from rap than the 2.49 ags0. Am I just a sucker for this branded cut??? I'm afraid that may be the case....unbranded, and I'd have been able to walk away without second guessing myself...oh the power of branding! ;-)

AGA 1A is a pinpoint proportions combination. That pinpoint range excludes a large variety of beautifully proportioned stones. There is truly no point in aiming for 1A unless that is a proportions combination you specifically like and want - 1A is not "the best", or "better than a 1B", or "better than 2A", despite the fact that it certainly seems it should be. Different proportions result in stones that look and perform differently, as you've already found - my top preference for example is for stones that fall outside the very restrictive 1A range, and I am really not unusual in this way. Like HCA 0.7 is not "better" than 1.7 - just indicates a stone w/ a different look and type of performance.

Someone REALLY needs to post guidelines and terms of use for the AGA tool. And remove the flat lookup charts. As in, NOW, before even more new consumers are thoroughly confused and sent steamrolling down the wrong track.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
YSSIE! Thanks. Ive been researching this and I see now its preference, not better or worse. I think I prefer the tall crown, as I like to see some diamond rise above the clawed prongs. The only way to do that in a round, would be a stone such as the one I'm looking at...so I'm actually quite pleased now! :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
np, glad to help! It's kinda - well, impossible - to know what you're getting out of a tool when you don't have instructions for use or listed limitations!

At the end of the day you're buying a diamond, not papers and tools and scanners - so if you compare and go with whatever your eyes choose you really can't go wrong :))

ETA - re. rise above the prongs - this is one of my favourite pics of my old stone (36/40.6/55), compared to my still older shallower type (33.5/40.6/58 second pic). They're obviously from slightly different angles - but it gets the point across nonetheless, I think ::)

YcrownA.jpg
YcrownB.jpg

mrb09

Rough_Rock
wow, that is the look i like, without sacrificing the optics of a rb ideal cut stone!! Gorgeous, and thanks for the pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results