shape
carat
color
clarity

Your input please - 1ct H VVS2

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Oops I didn't know there is a maximum of 3 idealscopes. And it is a one time service.

So I deleted one of the request. Now left with these:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3379022
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3224383
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3144271

Great. There are other versions of the JA setting from BN and others. The Sucliffe is gorgeous. I think we can find the top view elsewhere, but that basket would be semi custom. I will say that I love when the setting pinches in by the diamond.

So, it may be worth looking at Blue Nile (use the advanced settings to add the additional criteria). But, don't assume their Signature Ideal is "enough". You'll have to check each one individually. But, like JA, they show imagery from their Signature stones. You can also look at B2C.

Has she every expressed interest in old cut diamonds (old European cut, old mine cut, old cushion cut, transitional), often found in vintage rings? If she is "in" on the discussion, have a look at Jewels by Grace and look at videos of the stones. Don't worry so much about the exact budget now, just trying to get a feel for the cut and her interest.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

Yes the sutcliffe one is really gorgeous in person. But I think there is a premium for the brand as it is a higher end shop locally. Or maybe the setting is hard to do?
1ct H colour, SI2 clarity, Excellent Cut in that setting for $12800.00.

Yes my partner is in the discussion, she knows I am looking for rings. I will ask her to take a look at the website you provided.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="
Yes the Sutcliffe one is really gorgeous in person. But I think there is a premium for the brand as it is a higher end shop locally. Or maybe the setting is hard to do?
1ct H colour, SI2 clarity, Excellent Cut in that setting for $12800.00.

Yes my partner is in the discussion, she knows I am looking for rings. I will ask her to take a look at the website you provided.[/QUOTE]

Great. Depending on where you end up on budget and vendor, the online vendor may be able to customize a setting that looks like that Sutcliffe one to have a more decorative head.

For example, with BN, you could go with this setting:https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...r=customizer&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer but see if they can change the head to something more floral like those she liked.

p.s. I am not implying any issue with JA, I'm only suggesting other vendors to help open up options for you to maximize your budget. =)2

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regards to cut quality, the H VS1 is better.
I would like to see the ASET for the G VS2, although JA does not provide. In addition to the minor leakage under the table, it has some digging going on around the edges. touch call

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
In regards to cut quality, the H VS1 is better.
I would like to see the ASET for the G VS2, although JA does not provide. In addition to the minor leakage under the table, it has some digging going on around the edges. touch call

It is a shame there isnt one for the third diamond which could have been the one that stands out.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It might have been because you had already requested one (the one you linked to in your initial post).

I'm more inclined to go with the 1.05 H VS1 rather than the 1.12 G VS2. Not liking how the arrow shafts in the 1.12 are looking a little washed out in the G VS2. Much more pleasing contrast pattern in the H VS1. Plus I think the IS for the H VS1 looks a little better (though I wonder whether the IS image of the G VS2 was taken at a slight angle and off centre).

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
If only there is idealscope for all the diamonds.

Is it not wise to buy a diamond without it? If so I may just push the button on the 1.05.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
I have a dilemma, just window browsed and even the IS2's looked perfect to me. I also couldn't tell the difference between D-H with the colour kit.

if I prefer bigger sizing but not discounting much on quality then would the 1.08 or 1.12 be okay choices?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm gonna throw this 1.20ct out there if you think you'd be OK with an SI2. The crystal is fairly large but WHITE so while it may be visible when tilted a certain way, it could very well be eye clean. Would have to have them examine it for you. The IS images are already there as it is a JA True Hearts stone.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2281058

Oh, just use different email address to request IS images for the other stones!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gonna throw this 1.20ct out there if you think you'd be OK with an SI2. The crystal is fairly large but WHITE so while it may be visible when tilted a certain way, it could very well be eye clean. Would have to have them examine it for you. The IS images are already there as it is a JA True Hearts stone.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2281058

Oh, just use different email address to request IS images for the other stones!

Wow, GREAT find IMO! Larger stone, great color and cut - at this size, I think the inclusion would be really hard to spot.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Wow that stone looks great. I asked them to examine it but if I want someone to do it, they can only do it after payment.

She also said she can provide me IS. I told her the IS is already there but she said that is not IS, just arrow viewer :S.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Wow that stone looks great. I asked them to examine it but if I want someone to do it, they can only do it after payment.

She also said she can provide me IS. I told her the IS is already there but she said that is not IS, just arrow viewer :S.

What a pain. Are you 100% intending to buy from James Allen? If so I would maybe buy it and then if you don't go with it you can put the funds toward whatever you do buy.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I just found this advice online. Worth a try? Though I'm not sure how true the last statement is.

Here’s a Pro Tip!
When canvassing diamonds at James Allen, just turn down the 20x magnification to 2x magnification:

By doing so, you can replicate viewing the diamond in its original size. But since you’re watching from a computer screen, we set it to 2x magnification even if it’s a little bigger than the actual scope. Because turning down to 1x or no magnification at all will make it difficult for you to really notice anything.

Another pro tip: Any diamond you see on 2x magnification at James Allen that has no visible inclusions will very likely be eye clean in person!

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
International buyer don't get 30 day return unfortunately. :(. Should have shopped for ring when I was overseas.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
International buyer don't get 30 day return unfortunately. :(. Should have shopped for ring when I was overseas.
oh wow. I was thinking it would be more of a pain/slower but to not do them at all is terrible :(

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found this advice online. Worth a try? Though I'm not sure how true the last statement is.

Here’s a Pro Tip!
When canvassing diamonds at James Allen, just turn down the 20x magnification to 2x magnification:
Another pro tip: Any diamond you see on 2x magnification at James Allen that has no visible inclusions will very likely be eye clean in person!

"Your mileage may vary". It really depends on your computer, graphics card, monitor and browser settings. My DH has a gaming machine with an HD super high def and every other new fangle fast display option for gaming, massively-over-powered computer, solid state harddrive for gaming. I can see way more detail on his machine than my high-end home machine with brand new monitors. If you don't have the horsepower to resolve the image quickly enough, you kinda are seeing more blur that real image. Color gets just as complex as I'd say a rare few actually calibrate the color of their monitors. Thus, "your mileage may vary" and "object in mirror may appear larger (or smaller)".:mrgreen2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might give BlueNile and B2C a call (or online chat) and ask about this. If you get a more favorable answer, PSers can search those sites. I'm about 99.9% sure Whiteflash and HighPerformanceDiamonds offer returns for international buyers.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey OP
Are you locked into JA?
Others have posted that you can get better quality elsewhere and better customer service.
Have you tried Brian Gavin Diamonds or Whiteflash?
My personal experience.....I bought from WF when Leslie and Brian were there, but since bought earrings and a bracelet from Leslie at BGD.
Best of luck

magnoliasmom

Rough_Rock
Chiming in to say, tell them you want to buy this stone (if you are indeed serious about it) and you need to know if it's eyeclean. I am certain they won't want to lose a substantial sale. Being overseas, it's completely understandable that you need to confirm prior to purchase, as you don't have the same return window.

James Allen has been great about pulling stones for me when I've been committed to purchasing. Please ask again.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all, I may read the returns wrongly but either way still tedious to return a ring. Customs here in NZ is quite strict.

I am happy to use other websites too! I am just fixated at James Allen as I have heard good things and the service has been decent.

Also very serious about it. I actually have the 1.05 on order ready to go to the bank after breakfast.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Maybe the prosumers could also let you know if ID jewellery is an option?
Thanks all, I may read the returns wrongly but either way still tedious to return a ring. Customs here in NZ is quite strict.

I am happy to use other websites too! I am just fixated at James Allen as I have heard good things and the service has been decent.

Also very serious about it. I actually have the 1.05 on order ready to go to the bank after breakfast.

Sorry when I suggested a return, I meant to buy it and have them examine it before even sending it, and having them process a return if it's not eye clean without even shipping it. But - even that would be messy and I understand if it's not a preferred option.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Ok I got it wrong, no FREE return shipping for international buyers. Still eligible for money back.

I have 2 business days for my order so I can hold off, phew.

Sorry I for being quite indecisive.. Let me have a browse through Whiteflash and Bluenile. Thanks for the links rockysalamander!

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander that whiteflash one looks amazing!!! I like how I can see the bling in the video. I am pretty set on either the JA 1.05 or the whiteflash 1.16. Don't mind the I colour at all after seeing them in real life.

It fits my budget too. Is there a H colour between 1.15 and 1.2 within my budget at whiteflash? If not I will either go for the I or the 1.05.

Only thing with whiteflash is the currency on invoice will be USD I presume.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Previous:https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765682.htm ; I color, not sure if that is ok? :love:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3800301.htm (also I, SI1, but .10 mm bigger -- over budget :oops2:)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3770051.htm {in budget, but a J}

Keep in mind that the one I previously posted is 1.2 (1.16 round to 1.2 :cool2:).

In terms of currency, I don't know exactly how the conversion works. You should can chat with them via the big red "CHAT" on the right of the screen.

The difference with WF or HPD is that they check the stones for performance and show you everything you need. So, there is less risk for all the annoying back and forth.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-15_19-23-39.png
    upload_2017-9-15_19-23-39.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 45

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. Look at the spread of the stone in mm. Super ideals tend to have a better spread for their weight.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA 1.15 6.54*6.51*4.02
WF 1.161 ct I VS2 6.69x6.73x4.16 mm

WF 1.212 ct I SI1 6.79x6.85x4.23 mm

WF 1.177 ct J VS2 6.78x6.82x4.18 mm

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for being so helpful. Will you be able to find a 1.15 to 1.2 in H? The more I look at the 1.16 the more I am liking it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the best I can find in budget and in the range you want.

Previous:https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765682.htm ; I color, not sure if that is ok? :love:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3577109.htm {confirm eyeclean, but I'm betting it will be -- provided you are good with a dark inclusion. The SI2 recommended above had a clearer/crystal inclusion }

These are essentially a choice between higher color or clarity. I personally would chose the 1.16 I. You can see that whole stone is crisper. With the kind of setting you are looking at, the decorative basket will make seeing the stone from the side harder, so also make detecting the tint (if you see any) harder.

EDITED 1.14 H on LEFT, 1.16 I on RIGHT,

upload_2017-9-15_19-58-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-15_19-57-20.png
    upload_2017-9-15_19-57-20.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much do you have set aside for the setting?

This has the same shape at the Sutcliffe shank overall.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...eek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

And you can ask if they give you a price for a semi-custom version with a double claw prong head. Its not as decorative as the two she liked, but still very pretty. I think this is the "Harmony" double prong head.
https://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/...leek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-26502.htm

I also like the Sierra Head, but the lack of cross bar will make the side view more apparent.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/sierra-solitaire-engagement-ring-339.htm

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results