shape
carat
color
clarity

Your favorite cutter and personal opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I have gotten suched mixed responses haha, well it seems like I could go with 10 cutters but I''m gonna keep it to Gene, Barry and Richard..

I might purchase from all of them at one point, just depends on if im satisfied the first time, if so they got tons of buisness to look forward to.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see what you decide upon......I''m staying neutral here since I have purchased from everyone except Richard Homer.

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the thread but I'm still sort of confused. Are you still looking at the amethyst, pink tourmaline and rose quartz? None of them really qualify for an everyday ring due to their softness, expecially the rose quartz. The amethyst is probably all right as an occasional RHR and the pink tourmaline as well. My favourite cutters who I've experience with are (in no particular order) are Jeff White, Gene Flanigan, Richard Homer and Barry Bridgestock. I gladly recommend all of them.

Concave faceting is beautiful but is also an acquired taste. There isn't any bold flash but it sort of shimmers because it appears to static to the eye. Personally, I find that concave faceting is best suited to light toned stones.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 6:56:09 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
ETA: Thanks OP I didn''t understand that you''d have him cut a smaller stone. I think the pink one will be a stunner.

BEG : How much in mm does a halo add to the size of your stone?

Ok so I actually measured this out a few months ago due to a question on another thread, so I can answer!
1.gif

This ring is one of Dan''s garnets (sorry for the lousy pic) in an LOGR halo. The stone is exactly 7x7, and with the halo, the entire ring is 13 x 13 I believe (that was a rough measurement though, and not with calipers, so give or take a bit).

Ryon, just for reference, I''m a 3.5 finger size, so a 7x7 in a halo is BIG on the finger. I mean, complete finger coverage. If she loves bling, it''ll be perfect, but if she''s more into understated stuff, then I think a solitaire is the best - still gives good finger coverage on a size 4, without being super flashy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a size 4.25 finger and sometimes wear my halo-ed spessartite ring where the stone measures 9.6 mm. It''s not a look everyone can pull off of feel comfortable with. I think 7 x 7 mm will be more of an everyday size, even with a halo.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:54:13 PM
Author: Ryon
spinel is also really expensive =(

Gene showed me one for 500 or something like that it was nice, but didn't catch my eyes like some of these others have
I would contradict that and disagree. Being that I have around 13 of them and have yet to pay over $200 for any of them. (This is minus Big Blue btw, but that's a different story.)

You can get a spinel that is the same size as a sapphire for maybe a 1/4 of the price. (Talking Pink here.)

And the info on Big Blue (so you have a reference point) is 2.74cts, 8.3mm, cut by Barry, $480, but it's blue. A sapphire that size (depending greatly on color) will start out around the $500 for REALLY off color/inclusions/etc. Any hot pink or just pink stone in general is going to be more expensive in general.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As with all gemstones, spinel pricing depends on the colour. Reds are the most expensive right now, followed by pinks. The purples, lilac, lavender are all relatively inexpensive. Sometimes a pastel pink is also inexpensive. For blues, it all depends on the gray modifier. Most blues are quite affordable until you start getting into the cobalt blues.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 10:37:20 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Gene showed me one for 500 or something like that it was nice, but didn't catch my eyes like some of these others have

I would contradict that and disagree. Being that I have around 13 of them and have yet to pay over $200 for any of them. (This is minus Big Blue btw, but that's a different story.)

You can get a spinel that is the same size as a sapphire for maybe a 1/4 of the price. (Talking Pink here.)

And the info on Big Blue (so you have a reference point) is 2.74cts, 8.3mm, cut by Barry, $480, but it's blue. A sapphire that size (depending greatly on color) will start out around the $500 for REALLY off color/inclusions/etc. Any hot pink or just pink stone in general is going to be more expensive in general.

I also have a big blue spinel cut by Barry (not quite as big as Big Blue though
3.gif
) and mine was definitely under $500. Mine's a color changer but it's grayer than Freke's I think, which might account for it. Unless you're going for top, top quality blue spinel, prices are really not that high. And Freke, myself, and others love blue spinels even when they have gray understones.

Ryon, I just remembered, Laurel has a KILLER Richard Homer sapphire for her e-ring. Hers, I'm guessing, is considerably more than mine because her sapphire's color is just incredible (whereas mine is a bit too dark and greenish), but I thought you might be interested in seeing it.

Laurel's ring

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink sapphire is another option, and it would trump any of the other stones you're considering for durability. I'm not big on pastel pink so I haven't looked into this stone much, but it's fairly readily available, and I think it tends to be reasonably priced. It might be hard to find a round cut stone, however.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 10:04:51 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 5/25/2009 6:56:09 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
ETA: Thanks OP I didn''t understand that you''d have him cut a smaller stone. I think the pink one will be a stunner.

BEG : How much in mm does a halo add to the size of your stone?

Ok so I actually measured this out a few months ago due to a question on another thread, so I can answer!
1.gif

This ring is one of Dan''s garnets (sorry for the lousy pic) in an LOGR halo. The stone is exactly 7x7, and with the halo, the entire ring is 13 x 13 I believe (that was a rough measurement though, and not with calipers, so give or take a bit).

Ryon, just for reference, I''m a 3.5 finger size, so a 7x7 in a halo is BIG on the finger. I mean, complete finger coverage. If she loves bling, it''ll be perfect, but if she''s more into understated stuff, then I think a solitaire is the best - still gives good finger coverage on a size 4, without being super flashy.
WOW the stone is 7x7 and the halo ups it to 13x13! That is alot more than I expected.

THANKS for the info, I''m not sure a halo is for me...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think it's lovely you're putting so much thought into a 'just because' present, so I think you really can't go wrong here. I didn't know you were a guy at first (didn't want to make any assumptions based on your screen name) but I thought the concave cut might appeal to males more than females...turns out you are male.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:37:25 AM
Author: Lovinggems
I think it''s lovely you''re putting so much thought into a ''just because'' present, so I think you really can''t go wrong here. I didn''t know you were a guy at first (didn''t want to make any assumptions based on your screen name) but I thought the concave cut might appeal to males more than females...turns out you are male.
Thanks, if you haven''t noticed she is spoiled...

Well maybe your right so I will ask her opinion today

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 10:56:05 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 5/25/2009 10:37:20 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Gene showed me one for 500 or something like that it was nice, but didn''t catch my eyes like some of these others have

I would contradict that and disagree. Being that I have around 13 of them and have yet to pay over $200 for any of them. (This is minus Big Blue btw, but that''s a different story.)

And the info on Big Blue (so you have a reference point) is 2.74cts, 8.3mm, cut by Barry, $480, but it''s blue. A sapphire that size (depending greatly on color) will start out around the $500 for REALLY off color/inclusions/etc. Any hot pink or just pink stone in general is going to be more expensive in general.

I also have a big blue spinel cut by Barry (not quite as big as Big Blue though
3.gif
) and mine was definitely under $500. Mine''s a color changer but it''s grayer than Freke''s I think, which might account for it. Unless you''re going for top, top quality blue spinel, prices are really not that high. And Freke, myself, and others love blue spinels even when they have gray understones.

Ryon, I just remembered, Laurel has a KILLER Richard Homer sapphire for her e-ring. Hers, I''m guessing, is considerably more than mine because her sapphire''s color is just incredible (whereas mine is a bit too dark and greenish), but I thought you might be interested in seeing it.

Laurel''s ring
This is another great ring, I wish i could see these in a video, pictures can only describe so much about the stone from what I have noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results