shape
carat
color
clarity

Your entire collection....

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was there not a thread a couple of years ago where people posted a photo of all their bling? I can find a few amazing individual threads but not the one I’m thinking of. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or alternatively I’ll post mine if you post yours!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @meely,
There was the following thread many years ago:

There was also another similar thread, which had much more posts and photos but I can't for the life of me find it!!!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @Natylad :wavey:
Were you thinking of this thread?

Here you go, @meely !

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I would fall for this. :cool2:

Although I guess you could then easily share it with the police after the burglary.

If you do, please consider sharing a screenshot of your photo and not the original digital photo itself to avoid inadvertently sharing any metadata (like GPS location from phone photos). I am not an expert on this but I am pretty good with paranoia. (I also know nothing about how PS "handles" uploaded photos with metadata.)

Although I guess you could then easily share it with the police after the burglary.

If you do, please consider sharing a screenshot of your photo and not the original digital photo itself to avoid inadvertently sharing any metadata (like GPS location from phone photos). I am not an expert on this but I am pretty good with paranoia. (I also know nothing about how PS "handles" uploaded photos with metadata.)

Alternatively, you can strip the metadata by either hosting on a file sharing site like Imgur, or by removing the EXIF data per photo individually. This is good practice in any case whenever sharing a pic online!

I would also be careful to at least obfuscate details of where you live etc and not post pics of anything super rare or identifiable. As someone who has been doxxed before on a (different) anonymous forum, it is amazing the amount of info someone who is determined enough can put together on you and use it to triangulate your location.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello @meely,
There was the following thread many years ago:

There was also another similar thread, which had much more posts and photos but I can't for the life of me find it!!!

Yes I found that one too I suspect the one you cannot find is the one I’m looking for too!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Here you go, @meely !

I love that thread, but alas not the one I was thinking of!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Er what are you suggesting exactly? Thats some strange choice of words you choose to open your post with.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alternatively, you can strip the metadata by either hosting on a file sharing site like Imgur, or by removing the EXIF data per photo individually. This is good practice in any case whenever sharing a pic online!

I would also be careful to at least obfuscate details of where you live etc and not post pics of anything super rare or identifiable. As someone who has been doxxed before on a (different) anonymous forum, it is amazing the amount of info someone who is determined enough can put together on you and use it to triangulate your location.

Interesting stuff but surely this is relevant to 80% of posts on here?!

Interesting stuff but surely this is relevant to 80% of posts on here?!

Absolutely, I just chimed in because of the tangent the conversation went off towards. Not implying anything nefarious on the behalf of anyone soliciting pictures of course.

I always strip metadata before uploading pics no matter where I put them up now, because of my past experiences.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
You've sparked me curiosity. This one?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know how to strip metadata on an iPhone? I use iPhone for everything so screenshot using a computer isn’t an option :confused2:

Here you go, @meely !

I love that thread! Have it bookmarked and sometimes I scroll through just to admire all the lovely bling in that thread

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold up folks. Some unnecessary concerns in this thead.

Here are some details about what is actually happening. Long story short - PS is not storing your geotagging information.

- - - - - - - - - -

1. Take a photo with a phone with location services and photo geotagging on.

Here's what the photo looks like on my iPhone - notice the location at the top in addition to the time.

39E9B518-80D2-4890-9D45-7C79F7EB85B7.jpeg

2. Here's the metadata associated with this photo (ie. The photo plus the data about the photo).

The General, Exif, and TIFF details are completely harmless. It's the GPS you've got to worry about. This is always the case - this is true in general.

Again, right now we're talking about the image on my phone - before I upload to PS.

1636121361543.png

1636121385936.png

1636121489145.png

1636121517772.png

3. Now upload that geotagged photo from your phone to PS, either via Attach File or Insert Media.

Don't hit Post Reply just yet. Just upload the photo to PS and leave the picture in a PS draft.

4. And now re-download the photo from PS back to your phone.

On an iPhone I do this by clicking on the attachment in PS and Adding to Photos to download it to my phone camera roll. So all I'm doing here is uploading a geotagged photo from my iPhone to PS, and then downloading that upload from PS to my iPhone.

Here's the metadata associated with my download of the original geotagged upload. All GPS data has been stripped.
Again, this is happening as soon as you upload your photo to PS - even before you hit Post Reply to make it public.

1636122196277.png

1636122214184.png

1636122231604.png

1636122248901.png

- - - - - - - - - -

All that said - I turn geotagging off on my phone by default. Better safe than sorry on other platforms that might not be as careful with private data.

And collection threads where someone shows off everything they've got do kind of make for easy pickings... All that information would likely be available by trawling a member's threads/posts/media, but a collection thread does perhaps make an overly convenient target... Depending on personal comfort...

For goodness sake DO NOT post photos of your house, your yard, or your street corner here on PS!! And I’d recommend against showing off your jewellery storage solutions too, unless all location context (bedroom, basement, beside a large square window with blue curtains, etc.) can be cropped out of the picture.

Last edited:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here you go, @meely !

Hello @maita13 ! No, this is not the thread that I had in mind! You know, at the end, I will be convinced that this thread only exists in my imagination!!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All GPS data has been stripped.

See, I knew someone who knew what they are talking about would be along! Pretty impressed that PS does this. I would not have trusted any site to do this but definitely good to know.

Thanks, @yssie and PS founders!

EDIT: Well, at least we know that @yssie lives or photographs "above sea level." Or I guess that could just be to throw us all off nvm.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Hold up folks. Some unnecessary concerns in this thead.

Here are some details about what is actually happening. Long story short - PS is not storing your geotagging information.

- - - - - - - - - -

1. Take a photo with a phone with location services and photo geotagging on.

Here's what the photo looks like on my iPhone - notice the location at the top in addition to the time.

39E9B518-80D2-4890-9D45-7C79F7EB85B7.jpeg

2. Here's the metadata associated with this photo (ie. The photo plus the data about the photo).

The General, Exif, and TIFF details are completely harmless. It's the GPS you've got to worry about. This is always the case - this is true in general.

Again, right now we're talking about the image on my phone - before I upload to PS.

1636121361543.png

1636121385936.png

1636121489145.png

1636121517772.png

3. Now upload that geotagged photo from your phone to PS, either via Attach File or Insert Media.

Don't hit Post Reply just yet. Just upload the photo to PS and leave the picture in a PS draft.

4. And now re-download the photo from PS back to your phone.

On an iPhone I do this by clicking on the attachment in PS and Adding to Photos to download it to my phone camera roll. So all I'm doing here is uploading a geotagged photo from my iPhone to PS, and then downloading that upload from PS to my iPhone.

Here's the metadata associated with my download of the original geotagged upload. All GPS data has been stripped.
Again, this is happening as soon as you upload your photo to PS - even before you hit Post Reply to make it public.

1636122196277.png

1636122214184.png

1636122231604.png

1636122248901.png

- - - - - - - - - -

All that said - I turn geotagging off on my phone by default. Better safe than sorry on other platforms that might not be as careful with private data.

And collection threads where someone shows off everything they've got do kind of make for easy pickings... All that information would likely be available by trawling a member's threads/posts/media, but a collection thread does perhaps make an overly convenient target... Depending on personal comfort...

For goodness sake DO NOT post photos of your house, your yard, or your street corner here on PS!! And I’d recommend against showing off your jewellery storage solutions too, unless all location context (bedroom, basement, beside a large square window with blue curtains, etc.) can be cropped out of the picture.

Thank you for this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results