shape
carat
color
clarity

your E-ring worth more than your car?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I originally got the ring, yes. With current car, no.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, not more than our cars since cars are my DH’s thing like jewelry is mine. So because of him, we have nice cars too. Fun topic though.
I do think it’s depends on where you live. If I lived in Manhattan, I wouldn’t even have a car.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, definitely not :lol: - I wear an eternity band that was around $3,000 new. My car is a limited Toyota RAV4, around $33k new, probably worth $16k now. I work in real estate, so I need a good, reliable car to cart my people around. I actually can’t inagime owning a diamond that costs either of those figures, but I hope to one day!

This is a fun topic!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I'd definitely cross that line if I won the lottery though. I guess you need to buy tickets for that to work, and I never do.:eek2:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a different SUV now I have a Lexus...so it still stands...my E-ring aint worth much to begin with so my SUV is worth more.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, my husband loves nice cars!!!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fun thread!

My vehicle, yes. My husbands vehicle, no. He has no issue with spending money on his vehicles, boat and his “toys”.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and No.
More than my car, less than hubbies.
And I have spied an 8 carat Light yellowish VS diamond ring for auction at a local auction house and the estimate is less than Hubbies cars value.
Am I tempted to think we only need 1 car and an upgrade to my diamond ring.....
You betcha.
:lol::lol::lol:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my car is probably worth about 30 times as much as my e-ring. Both my DH and I thought it was inconceivable to wear a car on the finger.

Ditto (and I drive a reliable, but not fancy by any standards car). Although sometimes I regret that I was so practical at the time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know,
457492dro0rb016c.gif

Our car.

loofytoo.jpg

Bubbalah in our car.

bubbalahincar2.jpg.png
This photo of Bubbalah in our car is from a few months ago since I still cannot wear her on my left hand and taking photos of her on my right hand using my left hand is impossible for now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cookies said:
No, my car is probably worth about 30 times as much as my e-ring. Both my DH and I thought it was inconceivable to wear a car on the finger.

Ditto (and I drive a reliable, but not fancy by any standards car). Although sometimes I regret that I was so practical at the time.

It's funny. I feel the opposite way. LOL. A diamond (can be) forever. A car never is...

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I have a 2016 Mercedes C Class coupe which was originally worth 20x the price we paid for my ring. However I'm leasing the car so it's only costing me 7.5x the price of the ring. :praise:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Originally the car was new and cost much more than the ring, currently the ring has held it's value and the car has not! Ring is probably "worth" 2x the car right now ;)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's funny. I feel the opposite way. LOL. A diamond (can be) forever. A car never is...

Just to be clear, I regret not getting the fancier ring. The car I will never spend more money on than necessary to get a reliable way to get to work. Mine is a VW that is 12 years old now and still going strong (gotta love German engineering). My jewelry price tolerance, however, has gone WAY up over the years.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to be clear, I regret not getting the fancier ring. The car I will never spend more money on than necessary to get a reliable way to get to work. Mine is a VW that is 12 years old now and still going strong (gotta love German engineering). My jewelry price tolerance, however, has gone WAY up over the years.

Totally agree. For us too. A car is the way to get from point A to point B (and I mainly care about reliability and safety) but the ring I'm enjoying much more of the time.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have nine cars and I only have four erings. But my erings are probably each worth as much/more than the early 2000s cars. Nowhere near as much as the 57, 69, 71, or two 72s. Also not close to the 2016 outback. I do keep trying :lol::whistle:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had a ring more expensive than my car and I don't think I ever will. I have spent more on jewelry than the cost of our car (we have one) but that is over 45 years.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

The Kelly Blue Book value of my car falls thousands short of the cost of my two engagement rings that I'm having made. (I will have two rings that I will swap interchangeably; my emerald and my OEC diamond).
BUT with that being said, while my car isnt a beater or "ugly" whatsoever I truly only splurge on 3 things; gemstones/jewelry, perfume, and house plants.
Everything else I purchase used (including my car) and I thrift for. Its the best! My mother taught me the joy of the hunt!

Also in the end, when it just comes down to it, unlike most men and women, I get zero joy out of driving or cars in general but gemstones and jewelry keeps me satisfied and I could look at them for hours and be comfortably content.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I got engaged in 1974, when we were both still university students. My engagement ring has a 0.26 ct diamond.
So no, never. Not even worth more than our first car, a 1973 VW Superbeetle.
Now my right hand ring, a 2ct. AVR, on the other hand......
Our cars - 2 Subarus, a 2008 Outback and a 2011 Legacy. So, yes for the right hand ring at this time.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
No. My husband bought me a Toyota Corrolla before we were married because the car I was driving at the time was of dubious safety and it cost many times more than my engagement ring.

Today, I would totally wear a ring worth more than a car. The more disposable income we have the more sensible an idea it seems.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think mine are getting closer in value. I have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek and it still may be a tad more valuable but not much. Though this is my upgrade ring and not the original.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No matter how much my car depreciates, it will always be worth more than my ring. Not that my ring is inexpensive, but the distances to reach destinations here necessitate a car. The only time it will ever be worth less than my ring is if it is ever rendered permanently immobile.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
No matter how much my car depreciates, it will always be worth more than my ring. Not that my ring is inexpensive, but the distances to reach destinations here necessitate a car. The only time it will ever be worth less than my ring is if it is ever rendered permanently immobile.

That's a very interesting and practical way to look at things, @princessandthepear

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My upgrade ring is worth more than my car, but my car is old and I don't care about it enough to upgrade anytime soon.

Some of our recent purchases would have been ludicrous when we were young but now we have much more play money so it's all good- it only looks insane haha.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First ering was worth less than my car, which was a brand new Infiniti G35 coupe... before the ring, I needed something a little flashy and shiny!
Upgrade ering is worth more than my current "mommy car", a pre-owned Lexus LS 460 sedan...

Ahhh, how times have changed. ;-)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is a fun thread - it is really interesting to see all the differing perspectives.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’d have to say: yes. My car is a 16 year old Toyota Camry. :lol:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Probably about equal now-- my Acura is 7 years old.
I would prefer e-ring worth way more than car. As in $100K ering and happy with $10K toyota- lol.
Cars are an expense--a depreciating asset. They are simply a mechanical object to prove transportation. Not a status symbol for me.
Jewelry, while not typically an investment, should not be depreciating. And if purchased wisely should increase at least slightly in value.
And I view all in relation to net worth. Meaning--e-ring (and car) is way less than 1% of net worth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results