carat
color
clarity

Young couples buying lab diamonds

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you misunderstood me, Garry.
I'm very well aware that Moissanite holds certain advantages with those metrics, but double refraction and not being pure carbon crystal are characteristics that aren't typically desired by folks specifically wanting what diamond offers.
I'm all for Moissanite being readily available and an extremely cost effective alternative, especially given the optical characteristics seen by many as advantages, but my wife and I much prefer the "just right" appearance and optics of diamond over any other gemstone, especially the "sensory overload" of Moissy. The missus is also a huge fan of amethyst and emerald.

Ok, so it's just the Zircon fuzzy factor :)
Double refraction on steroids :cool2:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so it's just the Zircon fuzzy factor :)
Double refraction on steroids :cool2:

Yeah, probably. Full on vitamin S.
Question regarding that: does CZ degrade over time...does it discolor or change optical performance?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, probably. Full on vitamin S.
Question regarding that: does CZ degrade over time...does it discolor or change optical performance?
I meant natural Zircon - strong fuzzy double refraction. But stunning in high type natural blue.
CZ fades in daylight to whiter if tinted yellowish - CZ color masters must be kept in the dark. Otherwise very stable I believe.
PS I am not a moissy fan - just saying ;)2

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Oh, they are lol. I purchased one myself, it took me years to get onboard with them. There is absolutely 0 difference, the ones you may see in store may not be of the best cut, but def worth looking into.

This is my stone here, 2k :eek2:. I think we looked it up, would be close to 80k earth mined.

I just looked at your thread and your 3.01 stone is STUNNING!! I would not have guessed it was only 2k! If you don’t mind me asking, was it 2k in Canadian or in usd?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing virtuous about purchasing any kind of diamond. Lab grown diamonds are still inaccessible to millions of people in terms of price. To say that those who look down on lab growns due to classism, overlooks the fact that anyone who has any kind of diamond is guilty of wearing a status symbol. Period. Or why not wear a moissanite? And why set the limit of the diamond size at what is a “credible size” in terms of a natural diamond price? Bc they are trying to achieve the appearance of a status symbol. Why not proudly flaunt to the world that your 5 carat is lab grown? Why do we all have to make it a taboo question to ask if the diamond is natural or lab grown? After all, aren’t they simply inquiring about the origin of the rock you are wearing? If indeed lab grown is a source of pride for many, and it should be, then the question shouldn’t be taboo or met with “none of your business.” Those responses imply that the owner is aware that a diamond is indeed a status symbol and not just a phenomenon of science.

At the end of the day, people will purchase based on their values. They are two very different objects and should be treated as such. It is the lab grown owners who typically object to distinguishing between the two. If natural diamond buyers are accused of being classist, lab owners can be accused of being smug about the thousands of dollars they saved—and got away with—purporting as if it is the same identical object.

Well this is a take that I’m surprised hasn’t been said before

P

Petalouda

Thinking out loud but I wonder if the most valuable diamonds will end up being the antique diamonds (EG, cut by hand). The newly cut EG antique and lab antiques look amazing but there is nothing quite like a genuine antique diamond, whereas with modern diamonds, they are indistinguishable personality wise from EG or LG.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at your thread and your 3.01 stone is STUNNING!! I would not have guessed it was only 2k! If you don’t mind me asking, was it 2k in Canpadian or in usd?

2k USD, so 3k Canadian (mind you I hunted that bad boy out for a while lol)
Purchased a custom ring from CvB for 2k USD (so another 3k CAD as well).
Total purchase was 6k Canadian for a 3 carat perfectly proportioned diamond and custom setting, which was pretty much exactly the price of what my EGD sold for.

Still waiting for the ring, hopefully next week!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well this is a take that I’m surprised hasn’t been said before
Marketing isn’t inherently good or evil, effective or ineffective.
In Australia we had some great marketing and we have some really bad stuff.
e.g. Slip Slop Slap saved hundreds of thousands of people from skin cancer (sunscreen ads)
e.g. We have a serious gambling problem driven by sports betting ads.

I do not like greenwashing claims by manufactured diamond companies selling diamonds grown in India with carbon credits that cost a few dollars a ton of CO2 produced while in USA and Europe the same carbon credits cost +$100 a ton!
But I love the marketing fact that De Beers Lightbox has gone carbon neutral at least on its growing side :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I've noticed from talking about diamonds with friends and coworkers:
The younger generations (probably 35 an younger) are starting to really gravitate towards LGD while the older generations (45 and older) still tend to shy away from LGD because of a false sense that LGD means Moissanite...had a discussion with a coworker last year when I was waiting for my wife's surprise diamond to arrive...she initially referred to it as Moissanite, to which I provided a quick explanation that Diamond = pure Carbon whilst Moissanite= Silicon Carbide. She was thoroughly confused as to how it was possible to make diamonds inside of machinery. Gave her a quick rundown of how HPHT and CVD work, as well as cited links from GIA about their LGD articles. I think I lifted some of the fog of the stigma she was carrying about LGDs, and she was seemingly shocked and impressed when I showed her the videos of my wife's diamond from my thread.
I have seen this exact mindset right here on PriceScope that LGD = fake or simulant and those that choose them are looked down upon, even very recently by some. I think that is due to another mindset of classism and societal status that diamonds have traditionally been intertwined with.

I’m 64 and wear my lab over my three previous earth mined diamonds. I don’t see the point at my age spending beaucoup bucks on earth mined.
@DejaWiz I assumed you were much younger than stated age!
I don’t give a shite if anyone looks down on my lab diamond. You know who you are :Up_to_something:

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Almost 53 here and I was someone who previously “looked down” on lab diamonds. That was until I spoke to 4-5 jewellers both in Australia as well as the US, researched until my mind went blank from overload and then finally reconciled that although I can afford to purchase a natural diamond with the same specifications why would I spend 25 times more (and that is no exaggeration for diamond prices here in Australia) when I’m still raising three teenagers.

No longer will I question anyones’ decision in purchasing lab diamonds and I no longer view them as the poor cousin.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Random thoughts…

I don’t know many people getting engaged but the ones I see are getting colored stones.

If you only got your news from Reddit you might think everyone is getting 2 carat+ labs.

James Allen has its default search criteria for LGD set to two carats.

I have zero regrets getting a LGD tennis bracelet instead of EGD.

Moissanite can be gorgeous but it really is a matter of taste plus design-dependent. Moissanite will increase the mush factor of crushed ice and in some cases may blur facets in brilliant cuts. On the other hand it can multiply rainbows in stones with big facets. So it’s totally possible for preferring LGD to moissy for reasons other than cost.

Story - I thought moissanite was this awful yellow plastic stuff and then I heard that it had improved. So I placed an Etsy bet and wound up with a super sweet teal moissy that throws the best rainbows. I thought, woo-hoo! Cheap giant bling collection potential. Then the next two moissy I bought looked like junk. I am trying one last time with one of those lapidaries that cut stones with funny names. But in case anyone did not know, people drop major $$$ on settings for moissy so never assume a moissy jewelry piece is cheap.

Is there really some entity on PS who criticizes people’s jewelry for being lab? Not like, “LGD suck” which is a general opinion but as in “hey specific person, your LGD jewelry is ugly.” Because that’s mean.

Whenever people talk about ethics, there is the risk of sounding judg-y. Some people might not mean to judge. Other people might mean to judge, too, so I forgot what point I was making. There’s also the dynamic of some social groups putting pressure on people. Like diets or income source or whether you buy anything new. Their friends would judge them for buying a purportedly never-before-worn earth diamond.

I think there are lots of people out there who do not want lab diamonds but if they tried them would change their mind (raises hand). But we have also seen a few PSers who tried LGD, agreed that they were beautiful, but still did not like them. So I believe people when they say they prefer EGD for non-snob reasons.

For any PSer who thinks they would never like LGD, I encourage you to try it, and not just something minor but a piece you would want in EGD. Not because I want you to change your mind but because as a fellow PSer I wish everyone success in their collection goals and I’m rooting for you to get that thirty carat tennis bracelet you’ve always wanted. And post lots of photos.

There should be no shame in saying you bought a LGD because you could not afford what you wanted in EGD.

I don’t judge people who value EGD because they cost a lot of money because maybe that person saved up a long long time or sacrificed having a lot of variety in their collection to get their one diamond so of course they would value the diamond for its cost.

I do judge people who value EGD because other people can’t afford them.

I‘m waiting for delivery on a cheap giant LGD ring that I never would have bought in EGD.

Asked this question in another thread but did not get much response: for those who would never buy LGD for themselves, would you refuse to wear LGD if it were a gift? Not asking to be argumentative, just curious.

One of the last items on my bucket list is a big phat oval and I am debating between lab and earth.

So these are thoughts and hopefully they will spur discussion and also fulfill the dreams of marketers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Asked this question in another thread but did not get much response: for those who would never buy LGD for themselves, would you refuse to wear LGD if it were a gift? Not asking to be argumentative, just curious.

Love your post Crutches :)
Read an interview with the new CEO of Lightbox yesterday. Ex marketing Loriel cosmetics.
He mentioned that the main sales of LB are self purchases. He is looking at how he can grow that segment.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
It is an interesting topic.
I have been on the record for a few years that grown diamonds will be a boon for quality natural diamond owners.
Only a small % of people ever bought colourless G+ and eye clean +SI1 - since most diamonds ever mined are way below that range.
Those better and best diamonds make up maybe 30-50% of the value of all the natural diamonds currently above ground.
Because CVD is 'depth constrained' rounds (and most fancy shapes) are cut with better light performance (3/4s grown rounds score <2 HCA vs 1/4 natural diamonds). In side by side comparisons grown diamonds are going to win the sale very often.

My prediction is many diamond mines will be unproductive and close.
- Already rare and expensive better and best diamonds will become rarer.
- As the younger folk are getting a taste for bigger better grown diamonds, some will get wealthy in middle and older ages.
- They will aspire for luxe and natural diamonds will always be luxe

With the understanding that you are not giving official financial advice…

Would you say that people who want low color EGD diamonds should get them now or wait?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Love your post Crutches :)
Read an interview with the new CEO of Lightbox yesterday. Ex marketing Loriel cosmetics.
He mentioned that the main sales of LB are self purchases. He is looking at how he can grow that segment.

Thanks for the compliment, and somebody tell the new CEO: tiaras. I hope not to leave this earthly realm before obtaining a diamond tiara. Plus we all know - and some of us are - THAT mom. Hello ballet, beauty pageant, prom…

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
With the understanding that you are not giving official financial advice…

Would you say that people who want low color EGD diamonds should get them now or wait?
definitely not giving advice. But natural (EGD is a term invented by manufactured diamond marketers) diamond prices are falling because of grown diamonds - but not for th reason many think:
But my opinion is on the record from a month ago on LinkedIn:
LGD’s are causing natural diamond prices to fall. Of course, you say! Well it’s not that simple!

According to MVI, 72% of US retailers are stocking grown diamonds. Retailers and wholesalers are building stocks of man-made diamonds. Less funds for natural diamonds. It is simple supply and demand.
Oh, you think all those grown diamond engagement rings are causing natural diamond price drops? Bain & Co say eRings are 18% of the total US diamond market, and grown diamonds are 20%. That means less than 4% of the diamond market - not a big change (yet).
Big natural diamond price rises in 2011 were Chinese retailers stocking new stores. Chow Tai Fook alone added almost 5000 new stores since then in Mainland China.
Search Pricescope diamond-prices-chart and see how prices shot up after 2011. See the Chinese effect, then Covid fear fall, Surat polishers closedown rise and then Putin’s war and my 'stores stocking grown diamonds' theory.
Natural diamond prospecting has halted and consumers are getting a taste for +2ct grown diamonds. Large natural diamond prices are going to skyrocket in the medium to long term! $5 bet to settle in 2028 anyone?

To add to the above - as grown diamond prices fall the quantity to value equation means tons of grown diamonds will need to be produced to be of the same value as natural as per Paul Kimnisky's research:

1686882137045.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results