shape
carat
color
clarity

Young couples buying lab diamonds

waffle

Shiny_Rock
What percentage of engaged couples are purchasing lab cut diamond engagement rings? I’m very curious. None of my friends have one, but they go married ages ago. Two of my clients actually did. One was a flat 4-5 carat emerald cut. She was very wealthy. . And the other was a really nice pear in rose gold.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I went to try on settings at a store in town, one of the sales reps said maybe 5-10 years ago (can't remember the exact amount of years he said) they sold 80% EGD. 20% LGD. He said those numbers have now switched.

Also to note, although it appears many people know of LGDs online, in real life I don't think it's the case, not in my life anyway. I think the average person doesn't have enough time/desire to look into further so if they have heard of LGDs, they dismiss it as a sales tactic type thing.

For the ones that are ok with buying labs, the mark up in person is still quite high. I don't know how many people are buying loose diamonds, people still want to buy those things in person so they are still buying jacked up/poor quality stones at brick and mortar. I tried on a 3 carat (wasn't looking to buy, was looking to size comparison), their price was 16k without any info on the cut... while that might be less than a true 3 carat EGD, I cannot imagine paying that. So I do think its out of budget for most people, and I think you'll still see very few with PS standard cut parameters.

waffle

Shiny_Rock
I went to try on settings at a store in town, one of the sales reps said maybe 5-10 years ago (can't remember the exact amount of years he said) they sold 80% EGD. 20% LGD. He said those numbers have now switched.

Also to note, although it appears many people know of LGDs online, in real life I don't think it's the case, not in my life anyway. I think the average person doesn't have enough time/desire to look into further so if they have heard of LGDs, they dismiss it as a sales tactic type thing.

For the ones that are ok with buying labs, the mark up in person is still quite high. I don't know how many people are buying loose diamonds, people still want to buy those things in person so they are still buying jacked up/poor quality stones at brick and mortar. I tried on a 3 carat (wasn't looking to buy, was looking to size comparison), their price was 16k without any info on the cut... while that might be less than a true 3 carat EGD, I cannot imagine paying that. So I do think its out of budget for most people, and I think you'll still see very few with PS standard cut parameters.

Wow! Private boutiques in my area have started offering lab grown. I think I will pay a visit so I can see if I feel they are up to the hype. Thank you!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Private boutiques in my area have started offering lab grown. I think I will pay a visit so I can see if I feel they are up to the hype. Thank you!

Oh, they are lol. I purchased one myself, it took me years to get onboard with them. There is absolutely 0 difference, the ones you may see in store may not be of the best cut, but def worth looking into.

This is my stone here, 2k :eek2:. I think we looked it up, would be close to 80k earth mined.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a good question. I read that currently lab diamonds (according to internet sources) are approximately 17 to 23% of the bridal market. I live in an area in which people typically have .75 to 1 carat diamond engagement rings. In the last 2 years I have co-workers now sporting 2 carat diamond centers. Are they lab diamonds? I don't know and would never ask.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a good question. I read that currently lab diamonds (according to internet sources) are approximately 17 to 23% of the bridal market. I live in an area in which people typically have .75 to 1 carat diamond engagement rings. In the last 2 years I have co-workers now sporting 2 carat diamond centers. Are they lab diamonds? I don't know and would never ask.
My niece—who previously wore a 1 carat princess cut—showed up to a party a few months ago wearing what looked to be a 4 or 5 carat round. Lab for sure. No need to ask. People will make assumptions. I know that we all did.
I wear a 2.9 natural that I have had long before the lab growns became ubiquitous—I am sure people would make the same assumption about me, lol, if they didn’t know this about me. I’m sure strangers do assume it is fake, if they don’t know about lab grown—but I’m glad. I get to enjoy it and not worry about being mugged.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was at a presentation at IGI today in NYC. The US president of the company said last year 30% of engagement rings were lab grown. This year is on track to be 50%.

For me this is great news. I love diamonds both lab and earth mined but honestly I reach for and love my labs more. I want everyone who wants a beautiful diamond to have one and lab diamonds have made that possible.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LCD = smart

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

All very true from my experience. More people are buying lab, but they are paying too much and cut has not improved. I know people who are suspicious of buying online because they think it’s easier to find a “good” stone if you see it in person, but they’re not interested in learning about cut parameters, (or don’t understand what they’re leaving on the table by not learning about it) so they’re just ending up paying more for something that’s not great.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
My DH's nephew and fiancee chose lab; my niece and her guy also chose lab; my nephew and his gal also chose lab. All of them have chosen a size that would be in the upper limits of what they could afford in a mined diamond.

So, while not scientific, that's 100% of the people I know who are purchasing/have purchased engagement rings. :bigsmile:

erical77

Rough_Rock
I just replaced my 1.3ct natural with a 3ct lab... mine was an insurance claim and while we could have afforded to pay the difference to a natural diamond, I just didn't see the point. 2 of my 3 kids are in private high school now, one is driving, etc... we have better uses for our money these days but those who want to spend it, no judgement here!

kathness

Shiny_Rock
Such a great question!

I would say it’s really a personal choice for the couple. More often I think it is down with, what the woman feels comfortable wearing and what she would treasure the most.

In some cultures they really don’t like lab diamonds even within the younger couple range . I’ve noticed this with my nieces etc. I would say in my Asian circle of friends, family etc they still want their engagement rings to be natural diamonds and are happy to purchase accessories as lab diamonds .

For my non Asian circle there’s about 50% of them buying lab diamonds to achieve the look they are aiming.

The above is my personal experience and may not reflect the general consensus.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
What I've noticed from talking about diamonds with friends and coworkers:
The younger generations (probably 35 an younger) are starting to really gravitate towards LGD while the older generations (45 and older) still tend to shy away from LGD because of a false sense that LGD means Moissanite...had a discussion with a coworker last year when I was waiting for my wife's surprise diamond to arrive...she initially referred to it as Moissanite, to which I provided a quick explanation that Diamond = pure Carbon whilst Moissanite= Silicon Carbide. She was thoroughly confused as to how it was possible to make diamonds inside of machinery. Gave her a quick rundown of how HPHT and CVD work, as well as cited links from GIA about their LGD articles. I think I lifted some of the fog of the stigma she was carrying about LGDs, and she was seemingly shocked and impressed when I showed her the videos of my wife's diamond from my thread.
I have seen this exact mindset right here on PriceScope that LGD = fake or simulant and those that choose them are looked down upon, even very recently by some. I think that is due to another mindset of classism and societal status that diamonds have traditionally been intertwined with.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any friends who have been engaged recently, and few of my IRL friends care about jewelry at all, but my younger patients who are getting engaged seem to be about 50/50 LGD vs EGD/other natural gemstone (sapphire, morganite, etc.).

I never ask of course what people's jewelry is made of, but I will volunteer about my moissanite ring and LGD earrings that I tend to wear every day, and that's usually how the conversation will come up if the other party feels like sharing.

For the 35 and under crowd, I've only had one person equate LGD = CZ, and a brief explanation of how they are two different materials resulted in her looking up 2ct LGD princess cuts while in the dental chair for her upcoming anniversary upgrade.

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
I'm 37 and just upgraded to a lab grown diamond from my earth grown diamond engagement ring. For me, it all came down to priorities and the return on investment. Historically, diamonds (in general) depreciate in value the moment you purchase them. Of course there are caveats to this but for most people who purchase a diamond from a jeweler, you can assume you will only get a fraction of it's cost if you were to resell it. That said, for the cost of what I wanted compared to the cost of the same size lab grown diamond, the decision was easy. It goes back to the old saying, "You can buy anything, but not everything." We just simply have other priorities that take precedent and make more sense to invest in (= our children's private school education, a larger home when we grow out of our current one, savings, travel, etc). In the future I can see more people making the choice to move towards purchasing lab grown diamonds - especially as shoppers become more savvy and concerned with the impacts mining has on the environment. Of course, not all lab grown diamonds are environmentally friendly, but you get the idea.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm 37 and just upgraded to a lab grown diamond from my earth grown diamond engagement ring. For me, it all came down to priorities and the return on investment. Historically, diamonds (in general) depreciate in value the moment you purchase them. Of course there are caveats to this but for most people who purchase a diamond from a jeweler, you can assume you will only get a fraction of it's cost if you were to resell it. That said, for the cost of what I wanted compared to the cost of the same size lab grown diamond, the decision was easy. It goes back to the old saying, "You can buy anything, but not everything." We just simply have other priorities that take precedent and make more sense to invest in (= our children's private school education, a larger home when we grow out of our current one, savings, travel, etc). In the future I can see more people making the choice to move towards purchasing lab grown diamonds - especially as shoppers become more savvy and concerned with the impacts mining has on the environment. Of course, not all lab grown diamonds are environmentally friendly, but you get the idea.

That was a huge deciding factor when my wife and I went to upgrade her first diamond after 15 years: the retained value of her (first and only) EGD was way down in the toilet.

Our budget at the time would have only yielded a 0.6-0.9 carat as a replacement for the 0.5 carat *after* trade-in which we weren't thrilled with since we were targeting at least 1.00-1.20, so then we were shown some other options side by side which, surprising to us both at the time, turned out to be LGD in the 1.25-1.75 carat range with better color and clarity (all had IGI Hearts and Arrows designations on the reports) while also bringing slightly lower price points compared to the much smaller EGD options.

We're both in our mid to late 40s and figure that we can allocate the money saved by choosing LGD to much for favorable expenditures and investments... we're of the mindset that we can't continue to build and keep wealth by spending money, so money saved is money earned.

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
I just turned 40 and upgraded my earth grown stone to a lab grown stone. When my husband and I got married in 2010 lab grown were not available, so he purchased an earth grown. If they were available my husband definitely would have bought one. We paid a fraction for my lab grown upgrade compared to an earth grown at the same carat weight and clarity so it just made sense financially. I am very happy with our decision!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is an interesting topic.
I have been on the record for a few years that grown diamonds will be a boon for quality natural diamond owners.
Only a small % of people ever bought colourless G+ and eye clean +SI1 - since most diamonds ever mined are way below that range.
Those better and best diamonds make up maybe 30-50% of the value of all the natural diamonds currently above ground.
Because CVD is 'depth constrained' rounds (and most fancy shapes) are cut with better light performance (3/4s grown rounds score <2 HCA vs 1/4 natural diamonds). In side by side comparisons grown diamonds are going to win the sale very often.

My prediction is many diamond mines will be unproductive and close.
- Already rare and expensive better and best diamonds will become rarer.
- As the younger folk are getting a taste for bigger better grown diamonds, some will get wealthy in middle and older ages.
- They will aspire for luxe and natural diamonds will always be luxe

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I've noticed from talking about diamonds with friends and coworkers:
The younger generations (probably 35 an younger) are starting to really gravitate towards LGD while the older generations (45 and older) still tend to shy away from LGD because of a false sense that LGD means Moissanite...had a discussion with a coworker last year when I was waiting for my wife's surprise diamond to arrive...she initially referred to it as Moissanite, to which I provided a quick explanation that Diamond = pure Carbon whilst Moissanite= Silicon Carbide. She was thoroughly confused as to how it was possible to make diamonds inside of machinery. Gave her a quick rundown of how HPHT and CVD work, as well as cited links from GIA about their LGD articles. I think I lifted some of the fog of the stigma she was carrying about LGDs, and she was seemingly shocked and impressed when I showed her the videos of my wife's diamond from my thread.
I have seen this exact mindset right here on PriceScope that LGD = fake or simulant and those that choose them are looked down upon, even very recently by some. I think that is due to another mindset of classism and societal status that diamonds have traditionally been intertwined with.

There is nothing virtuous about purchasing any kind of diamond. Lab grown diamonds are still inaccessible to millions of people in terms of price. To say that those who look down on lab growns due to classism, overlooks the fact that anyone who has any kind of diamond is guilty of wearing a status symbol. Period. Or why not wear a moissanite? And why set the limit of the diamond size at what is a “credible size” in terms of a natural diamond price? Bc they are trying to achieve the appearance of a status symbol. Why not proudly flaunt to the world that your 5 carat is lab grown? Why do we all have to make it a taboo question to ask if the diamond is natural or lab grown? After all, aren’t they simply inquiring about the origin of the rock you are wearing? If indeed lab grown is a source of pride for many, and it should be, then the question shouldn’t be taboo or met with “none of your business.” Those responses imply that the owner is aware that a diamond is indeed a status symbol and not just a phenomenon of science.

At the end of the day, people will purchase based on their values. They are two very different objects and should be treated as such. It is the lab grown owners who typically object to distinguishing between the two. If natural diamond buyers are accused of being classist, lab owners can be accused of being smug about the thousands of dollars they saved—and got away with—purporting as if it is the same identical object.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would be be happy with lab grown
im not young
but im not old either

mind you id be happy with a chip of glass so long as it was an ER :lol-2:

You are always a ray of sunshine on PS. :) I'm with you today. I'm not feeling old or young and counting my blessings. :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is nothing virtuous about purchasing any kind of diamond. Lab grown diamonds are still inaccessible to millions of people in terms of price. To say that those who look down on lab growns due to classism, overlooks the fact that anyone who has any kind of diamond is guilty of wearing a status symbol. Period. Or why not wear a moissanite? And why set the limit of the diamond size at what is a “credible size” in terms of a natural diamond price? Bc they are trying to achieve the appearance of a status symbol. Why not proudly flaunt to the world that your 5 carat is lab grown? Why do we all have to make it a taboo question to ask if the diamond is natural or lab grown? After all, aren’t they simply inquiring about the origin of the rock you are wearing? If indeed lab grown is a source of pride for many, and it should be, then the question shouldn’t be taboo or met with “none of your business.” Those responses imply that the owner is aware that a diamond is indeed a status symbol and not just a phenomenon of science.

At the end of the day, people will purchase based on their values. They are two very different objects and should be treated as such. It is the lab grown owners who typically object to distinguishing between the two. If natural diamond buyers are accused of being classist, lab owners can be accused of being smug about the thousands of dollars they saved—and got away with—purporting as if it is the same identical object.

Hi Nala,
Some of the first recorded 'jewels' as personal adornment were sea shells strung together as necklaces. These have been found weeks walking inland and were probably traded several times.
They were valued.
We (and magpies and bower birds) are attracted to pretty things.
It is a biological condition.
Diamonds just happen to be one of the sparkliest and most durable pretty things.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nala,
Some of the first recorded 'jewels' as personal adornment were sea shells strung together as necklaces. These have been found weeks walking inland and were probably traded several times.
They were valued.
We (and magpies and bower birds) are attracted to pretty things.
It is a biological condition.
Diamonds just happen to be one of the sparkliest and most durable pretty things.

I doubt people adorn themselves with diamonds bc they are durable unless you buy into the whole a “diamond is forever” marketing. Isn’t a moissanite as durable? But if not, it can easily be replaced and still save you hundreds over either lab or natural and saving money is what a lot of people value.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt people adorn themselves with diamonds bc they are durable unless you buy into the whole a “diamond is forever” marketing. Isn’t a moissanite as durable? But if not, it can easily be replaced and still save you hundreds over either lab or natural and saving money is what a lot of people value.

Moissanite is almost as durable.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Not wanting to have a philosophical fight Nala, but if you're right why do we have so many German luxury cars everywhere I look when Corolla and KIA do the job?
Diamonds have always been valued.
Adamantine is an ancient word that means diamond like.
Moissanite is more durable than diamond, and sparkles more. It's better stuff. But it is not diamond.
If we were from a planet where moissanite was naturally occurring and they worked out how to make diamond, no one would want diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I think the molecular and optical properties of LGD and EGD are what most people are after versus Moissanite. So glad that premium SIC diamond sellers including Whiteflash, Continental Diamond, Victor Canera, Brian Gavin, and JannPaul are now utilizing LGD and providing their extreme levels of vetting and assessments as they do for their EGD.
Moissanite seems to keep gaining market share, so that's a plus for all the double refraction lovers of Moissy. Jon at Distinctive Gem continues to make some amazing custom cuts with Moissy as an option for the material, and his Distinctive Oval and recent new Distinctive Pear are magnifique!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the molecular and optical properties of LGD and EGD are what most people are after versus Moissanite. So glad that premium SIC diamond sellers including Whiteflash, Continental Diamond, Victor Canera, Brian Gavin, and JannPaul are now utilizing LGD and providing their extreme levels of vetting and assessments as they do for their EGD.
Moissanite seems to keep gaining market share, so that's a plus for all the double refraction lovers of Moissy. Jon at Distinctive Gem continues to make some amazing custom cuts with Moissy as an option for the material, and his Distinctive Oval and recent new Distinctive Pear are magnifique!
Very wrong DJ:
Apart from diamond allowing a few percent more light to enter (less reflected light) M beats D on everything except hardness but has less well developed cleavage so is less likely to chip. And only diamond or SIC can really scratch it.
It is also less likely to sustain damage from extreme heat.
1686797187376.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Very wrong DJ:
Apart from diamond allowing a few percent more light to enter (less reflected light) M beats D on everything except hardness but has less well developed cleavage so is less likely to chip. And only diamond or SIC can really scratch it.
It is also less likely to sustain damage from extreme heat.
1686797187376.png

I think you misunderstood me, Garry.
I'm very well aware that Moissanite holds certain advantages with those metrics, but double refraction and not being pure carbon crystal are characteristics that aren't typically desired by folks specifically wanting what diamond offers. My sister in law worked a jewelry counter many moons ago when Moissanite was being marketed as "the meteor Gem!" - not much interest was generated compared to diamonds. I know that's completely anecdotal, but that is her testimony based on customer gravitation towards certain gemstones.
I'm all for Moissanite being readily available and an extremely cost effective alternative, especially given the optical characteristics seen by many as advantages, but my wife and I much prefer the "just right" appearance and optics of diamond over any other gemstone, especially the "sensory overload" of Moissy. The missus is also a huge fan of amethyst and emerald.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results