shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another Southern state "reopening" even though cases are still rising

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to stay at home until there's a vaccine and/or herd immunity for the benefit of my family and others.

Would your perspective change knowing there has never been a vaccine for any human coronavirus? They’ve worked on vaccines for many years and never been successful even once. How long ago was SARS...17 years ago and still no vaccine.

For me that was the turning point. The original intent of the shut down was to not overwhelm the hospital system. As long as we achieve that goal then let things start to open Slowly and carefully with the understanding that some people will still contract the virus and as terrible as it is some people will still die. Maybe we’ll get lucky and this virus will just fizzle out but the world can not stay in lock down hoping for a vaccine that may never come. The only way to achieve herd immunity is to end the shut down...again, slowly and carefully so that resources are not overwhelmed. That is where this all started and maybe that is the best we can accomplish.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Would your perspective change knowing there has never been a vaccine for any human coronavirus? They’ve worked on vaccines for many years and never been successful even once. How long ago was SARS...17 years ago and still no vaccine.

Given the uncertainty of long term effects of COVID-19 (heart and brain damage), I will plan to stay at home until there is herd immunity or the virus is unable to find new hosts.

Beyond school, work, and essential needs (groceries and healthcare), I think it will be an individual decision for folks whether they stay at home vs. going on with their lives and risk getting COVID-19. The risks and benefits will vary based on each individual's situation.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beyond school, work, and essential needs (groceries and healthcare), I think it will be an individual decision for folks whether they stay at home vs. going on with their lives and risk getting COVID-19. The risks and benefits will vary based on each individual's situation.
nod.gif Yup, and stop blaming the government for reopening businesses. The choice is up to each individual.

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love where I live (coastal NC) but right now I am sad that our county mayors are opening up the beaches (for residents, not visitors, like their checking your status, lol). This past weekend was first weekend and it was worse than 4th of July which is normally the busiest time here. There was no social distancing. Public beach parking areas were still closed but people parked ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE they could. Visitor's knew we were open so they all came. I am just waiting for our numbers to rise. Our governor plans to open more things starting May 8th. God help us.
I work on a military installation and just went back to work Monday.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the uncertainty of long term effects of COVID-19 (heart and brain damage), I will plan to stay at home until there is herd immunity or the virus is unable to find new hosts.

Your last sentence is definitely true.

My tolerance of risk is a lot higher than other people's tolerance of risk, so I will just be cracking on with life as soon as I possibly can..

The large swathes seemingly asymptomatic or suffering only very minor illness must dwarf those suffering more serious illness effects, and the even smaller numbers unfortunately passing away, so I will take my chances - I rarely get ill and tend to get over things quickly when I do, so with luck, my physiology / genetics / health will hopefully see me through.

I feel bad for those with immunosuppressed issues and those in higher risk groups that are unable to influence their potential outcomes :( but I'm hopeful that it might also spur some on to improve their health if the ability to do so is within their grasp. For example, obesity is being flagged as a major factor in the fatalities seen, and that should be able to be positively influenced by individuals with a will to do so :) (I include myself in that last group - I'm still pretty skinny but my diet and exercise has been appalling for a while now!)

I hope as many people as possible can get through this, and that the economic impacts do not cause more fatalities and health issues in the longer term than any lockdown may or may not have saved.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least the Trump administration is doing all it can to save lives. Here is the latest news.

"LIVE UPDATES

Coronavirus Live Updates: As Threat of Virus Persists, Trump Administration Signals It Will Wind Down Task Force

An ousted federal scientist said he was pressured to steer contracts to clients of a well-connected consultant. Cases are growing by 2 to 4 percent daily, and more than 1,000 people have died each day for over a month. Meat is scarcer at groceries and restaurants.

Right Now
A federal scientist who says he was ousted from his job amid a dispute over an unproven malaria drug promoted by President Trump said on Tuesday that he was pressured to steer contracts to the clients of a well-connected consultant."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results