shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another search for a peachy pink stone for my e-ring

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Oy, both of those gemcal stones are so pretty!

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Again, a HUGE thanks to everyone who responded!! And apologies for my lapse in posting- I was busy eloping! Now I'm home and back on the hunt. I'm definitely getting a better idea of what I'm looking for, and of course enjoying all the pretty sparkly pictures.

Right now my favorites are Laurakayp blush spinel, the "bandaid" ring, and the tourmaline from Gemfix that would be perfect if it just wasn't a tourmaline! I've realized that as much as I LOVE vibrant colors for most things, for this ring I want something more neutral and so I'm definitely looking for a light/pale stone. I also have ruled out to cool/icy pinks since they just don't look great with my very olive skintone.

As far as spinel vs. sapphire, which one is normally sparklier? I haven't actually seen a spinel in real life, although I did order a few inexpensive pretty ones off ebay. For research of course! And Christmas presents, maybe?

I'm thinking that my best bet might be to look into getting a stone sourced. How exactly does one do that, and who would be my best options? Would it be a faux paus to talk to a couple different people?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1383855219|3552302 said:
Again, a HUGE thanks to everyone who responded!! And apologies for my lapse in posting- I was busy eloping! Now I'm home and back on the hunt. I'm definitely getting a better idea of what I'm looking for, and of course enjoying all the pretty sparkly pictures.

Right now my favorites are Laurakayp blush spinel, the "bandaid" ring, and the tourmaline from Gemfix that would be perfect if it just wasn't a tourmaline! I've realized that as much as I LOVE vibrant colors for most things, for this ring I want something more neutral and so I'm definitely looking for a light/pale stone. I also have ruled out to cool/icy pinks since they just don't look great with my very olive skintone.

As far as spinel vs. sapphire, which one is normally sparklier? I haven't actually seen a spinel in real life, although I did order a few inexpensive pretty ones off ebay. For research of course! And Christmas presents, maybe?

I'm thinking that my best bet might be to look into getting a stone sourced. How exactly does one do that, and who would be my best options? Would it be a faux paus to talk to a couple different people?

I think spinels tend to be sparklier, but sapphires tend to have better color saturation. Since you're looking for a less saturated stone, and in a pale pink, I think a spinel would be your best bet, and probably be more affordable too.

Good luck and congratulations on your marriage.

Here's a pink spinel and diamond ring in an antique style setting, just for fun, and inspiration.

pinkspinelanddiamondring.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Thoughts on this one? It looks a little too pink in the pictures, but in the video it's a much lighter peachier color. 2.85ct, 9.5x7.5mm which is right about what I'm looking for.

ag13612.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1383973129|3553233 said:
Thoughts on this one? It looks a little too pink in the pictures, but in the video it's a much lighter peachier color. 2.85ct, 9.5x7.5mm which is right about what I'm looking for.

ag13612.jpg

I don't know the vendor, so I personally can't say yes or no. It's important to buy stones from a reputable vendor, as there is synthetic spinel that is often sold as natural material, especially if there are no tell tale inclusions.

There's a ton of pink spinel on ebay (that looks like your typical ebay photo), so as always check feedback on toolhaus.org, and make sure they're reputable.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks really pretty. What's the price on it? eBay?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really need to stop scoping ebay :lol:, I found your gem and here's a still frame of the video. I would only offer about 60% of the asking price and see if he counteroffers. I don't buy from him, but that's usually the standard counter offer measures I take with Thai dealers on ebay.

Your stone is definitely peachy in the video.

If that's the color you like, I think its a very reasonable price. Check out toolhaus.org though.

peachy_spinel.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol TL!

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Well crap, it got poached :( I was hoping that by fudging the numbers a little I'd be able to at least sleep on it and grab it this morning. Now the search continues...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1384031316|3553510 said:
Well crap, it got poached :( I was hoping that by fudging the numbers a little I'd be able to at least sleep on it and grab it this morning. Now the search continues...

I don't think it was poached because of you. I saw an offer on it last night right after you posted this. I don't think it's a particularly rare color of spinel, and I think you should be able to get another one, from that dealer or someone else.

I have a pinkish peachy spinel that color, I forget where I purchased it, but I remember it was from ebay and it looked more pink in the vendor photo. I didn't pay very much, so I'm sure another one will come around again. :))

Did you also check multicolour.com? He has a wide variety of spinels in various colors too, and for fair pricing.

Here's mine, crappy picture, but it's probably around 2 carats, and again. It has a window, but the color is not rare in a spinel, which is lucky for you! It has some black reflecting into it from my shirt.

tlpeachyspinel.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL and Freke!! I'll keep looking then. Good to know that I'm not searching for a unicorn. I have noticed that it's a tiny bit harder to find something that's pinkish-peach but without grey, as opposed to a straight pink stone. But I've only been looking for a few weeks! I have searched MC along with every single vendor listed in the "preferred vendors" thread, but no one had anything quite the right color. I did get the go ahead from the husband to just go ahead and buy something the next time I see one I like, rather than wait to see if he likes it too, since I'm so incredibly picky about colors and he's actually colorblind (which is a MAJOR factor in me taking charge of the stone search!!)

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if anyone here bought the Rogerio stone - saw it had been sold very soon after someone here suggested it- and if so, what the quality was like? I have my eye on a stone from him...

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bow to TL's skills in finding the right stones on eBay at the right price. (I need the bowing down emoticon :bigsmile: ). As she mentioned prior, the colour you are looking for isn't uncommon and isn't expensive. When shopping on eBay, expect the pictures to be enhanced to look pinker and more saturated than the real spinel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results