color
clarity

Yet Another OEC Thread...

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wow... that jeweler is completely out of line. I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced all of this @natasha-cupcake. Totally unwarranted. Crazy thing is, that jeweler likely doesn’t realize how much money he’s cost himself with that sort of attitude and business practice.

@icy_jade - were you thinking of this thread? I loved the outcome of this recut:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-recut.240785/

Yes thank you is this thread! I thought the recut was amazing right? I mean the original looked quite horrific but it ended up really nice.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes thank you is this thread! I thought the recut was amazing right? I mean the original looked quite horrific but it ended up really nice.

It was amazing... like night and day!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OEC update—I spoke to a diamond expert friend--in whom I have the utmost trust and respect--about re-cutting my stone. His recommendation was to not recut at this point because the diamond would lose too much carat weight and value. In order to achieve ideal cut status, it would be reduced from 1.11 carats down to approximately .82-.85 carats, a huge loss. Not good news, so I went back to “sell it or set it” mode.

I went to see a local antiques dealer who’s known for having a lot of antique jewelry. I wanted information on what I could get for it on the wholesale level and to see what she had in stock (maybe a trade). I told her the whole story including my displeasure with the diamond. She examined it carefully and gave me some helpful information. First, she said she’s not currently buying diamonds or jewelry because she wants to retire soon and is winding down her inventory. But, she told me that if she were buying diamonds, she would have made me an offer. Overall, she thought it was a lovely stone. The color seemed more G/H to her than I. It has amazing sparkle and fire, looks very lively, has a beautiful snowflake pattern, and looks nice and big which is the upside of a spread-y cut. She also told me that it does not have a fisheye. She pulled out a ring and showed me a true fisheye. Her thought was that I was reacting to the large culet and the fact that the center has a windmill pattern rather than a petal pattern, which, when combined with the large culet, can give a “concave” appearance in the center. She said a small negative to her was that the table facets were not lighting up as beautifully as the snowflake facets, because there was a little light leakage under the table--an artifact of the shallow cut. She stressed that there’s a huge matrix to OEC cuts, so most of them will have some negative aspects and some positive aspects. She told me she’s seen thousands of OECs over the years and the deep cut/puffy crown variety is the most iconic of them, but other variations were out there, and are still around. Mine is an example of the spread-y variety. I told her that I was worried that it was a “dog” and that I was stuck with it. She laughed at me and said that it is “far, far from being a dog”; it was "overall a beautiful diamond" and that her advice was to set it and wear it. So, I definitely felt better after speaking with her.

Right now, I still don’t know if I want to set it or sell it. I don’t like the idea of having had sour feelings about the diamond and also, I really, really want petals!! On one hand, I’m leaning towards selling and starting over. But on the other hand, it would be easier and probably more economical to just set it. So, that’s where I stand right now—still indecisive but feeling much better about the diamond itself. If you have any thoughts about my situation or advice, please feel free to share. Thanks!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that is some good news. As you said, you already have some sour feelings about it so not sure that you should put more money into it by setting it. If it were me I would sell it, not only because of the feelings about it but also because the cut isn't what you want, you want petals so that is a different diamond then. That's just my take but the good news is that it isn't a dog and some buyers may very well prefer this cut of OEC since there is such a spectrum. Either way I hope you find an answer that works for you!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
OEC update—I spoke to a diamond expert friend--in whom I have the utmost trust and respect--about re-cutting my stone. His recommendation was to not recut at this point because the diamond would lose too much carat weight and value. In order to achieve ideal cut status, it would be reduced from 1.11 carats down to approximately .82-.85 carats, a huge loss. Not good news, so I went back to “sell it or set it” mode.

I went to see a local antiques dealer who’s known for having a lot of antique jewelry. I wanted information on what I could get for it on the wholesale level and to see what she had in stock (maybe a trade). I told her the whole story including my displeasure with the diamond. She examined it carefully and gave me some helpful information. First, she said she’s not currently buying diamonds or jewelry because she wants to retire soon and is winding down her inventory. But, she told me that if she were buying diamonds, she would have made me an offer. Overall, she thought it was a lovely stone. The color seemed more G/H to her than I. It has amazing sparkle and fire, looks very lively, has a beautiful snowflake pattern, and looks nice and big which is the upside of a spread-y cut. She also told me that it does not have a fisheye. She pulled out a ring and showed me a true fisheye. Her thought was that I was reacting to the large culet and the fact that the center has a windmill pattern rather than a petal pattern, which, when combined with the large culet, can give a “concave” appearance in the center. She said a small negative to her was that the table facets were not lighting up as beautifully as the snowflake facets, because there was a little light leakage under the table--an artifact of the shallow cut. She stressed that there’s a huge matrix to OEC cuts, so most of them will have some negative aspects and some positive aspects. She told me she’s seen thousands of OECs over the years and the deep cut/puffy crown variety is the most iconic of them, but other variations were out there, and are still around. Mine is an example of the spread-y variety. I told her that I was worried that it was a “dog” and that I was stuck with it. She laughed at me and said that it is “far, far from being a dog”; it was "overall a beautiful diamond" and that her advice was to set it and wear it. So, I definitely felt better after speaking with her.

Right now, I still don’t know if I want to set it or sell it. I don’t like the idea of having had sour feelings about the diamond and also, I really, really want petals!! On one hand, I’m leaning towards selling and starting over. But on the other hand, it would be easier and probably more economical to just set it. So, that’s where I stand right now—still indecisive but feeling much better about the diamond itself. If you have any thoughts about my situation or advice, please feel free to share. Thanks!

I totally agree with @StephanieLynn. I think it's GREAT that this lady doesn't think it's a dud diamond, that's really great news. I also don't think it's YOUR diamond. It's someone's diamond, but it doesn't really sound like yours - the sour feelings, the patterning that isn't your style. At least now you could sell it without feeling like you're about to rip someone off in return for having been ripped off.

Personally my instinct is you'll never be quite happy with this diamond, and that you should sell it and start again. Yes, it's more agony to go through this process, but in the end I feel it would be worth it. Otherwise I wonder whether you'll always wonder... 'what if'.

Ultimately however, it needs to be what YOU are happy with. If, now you've had that conversation, you want to set it and live with it for a while, perhaps your viewpoint of it will change and you'll feel some love towards it....

Whatever you decide, please keep us updated! Without trying to sound like the decision is already made, I really am looking forward to you obtaining a stone that makes your heart go pitter-patter... I totally understand that all stones will have their negatives, but I know there's one out there that makes you feel super happy regardless. As in, the 'flaws' are part of the charm. Whereas I think with this stone you'll have to learn to love it despite the bits you don't like.

Best of luck! :)

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake - Glad to hear that you had positive feedback from a local antiques dealer. I agree that selling is probably for the best since it isn't exactly what you want and has so much negativity surrounding it now. I would reach out to Erica at Love Affair Diamonds or Grace at Jewels by Grace and see what your options are. - Best of Luck for a speedy sale so that you can put this all behind you and move on to the ring of your dreams!

Last edited by a moderator:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I just read your story about the ring and feel so sorry you had that nasty experience with the jeweller! He lost a good customer there. I agree that it’s a beautiful diamond but not your diamond. I think putting it on consignment with one of the PS vendors @Octo2005 is a good idea and mayhaps you can trade in for an OEC that does meet your requirements.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I was just reviewing all my watched threads and am wondering how things have been going?

Fingers crossed for you! Sorry if I've missed any new threads.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Natashacupcake!

I didn’t see this thread before and do have some thoughts about your diamond.

A recut on an antique stone, attempting to modify the look of the patterning under the table from windmill to snowflake isn’t something that most cutters can do, even under the best dimensional circumstances. If you want to go that route, it would be worth an assessment from the people who did Wewechew’s OEC (linked above by Stonewell). Her stone’s form factor resembled yours quite a bit (large table, shallowish stone) and they did a great job keeping a traditional facet pattern, for a reasonable cost. However, keep in mind you will never be able to predict your stone’s new faceting, eg whether you will actually get a snowflake pattern and what else you will get. Going into an old cut recut, you go blind. And once you recut a stone, it’s likely that some of the things you loved about the original cut will go away. For example, a recut stone can lose fire, etc. A recut has to be worth it in that sense. Fix one thing might lead to diminished beauty in other areas. The original stone will be often unrecognizable.

So if you REALLY want “snowflake”, maybe it would make sense to simply consign the stone with LAD, and get a snowflake OEC once you find it. Erica has the best fees and reaches a broad audience. I’d start there, if I were to consign. Or you could try Loupe Troop, which I might attempt first with this stone. You would likely need a lab report to resell it.

All that said, I went back and looked at your videos. I like your stone. I actually see colorful fire coming off of that stone, which is surprising because it is shallow and has a shallow crown angle. Shallow cuts with large tables can often look whiter than their actual color, so there’s that possibility too. I like the outer facets, and they are large and crisp to me. The part under the table that bothers you IS typical to some stones of the era. It can also be an artifact of a re-cut that has already been done. You never know. I actually like the obvious culet and consider it cute and endearing. In the video with your CBI, the old cut is again throwing off colorful fire. In the close up video, I see a lively stone with pretty facets and a nice color.

The cut does NOT look like a dud to me. It looks like a flavor. It’s not a perfect archetypal Pricescope “snowflake” to me, but *newsflash*, those cuts are snapped up faster than you can say Pricescoper. Ha ha. My point is, you are competing with ebay ninjas and dealers who have wholesalers and scouts when you want a perfect snowflake OEC. The best way to find one of these is to not try to create it. The best way to buy it affordably is on Loupe Troop, or pay a premium and buy it with a dealer. They are out there available now.

So you are left with a beautiful stone that was assessed by a professional/antique stone lover and she had some positive and complementary things to say about it. In person, stones can have qualities that none of us on PS can see. So the all important holy grail faceting will be our guide. But for stones like yours that have nice fire and liveliness, as well as a G/H color and large spread, AND they are priced well in a price range that’s comfortable for you, you really have to decide if you like it enough to set it and enjoy it, even if it is not the Pricescope flavor of the month. :)

If I were you, I would in the short term take your jeweler’s offer and try to get a free setting and free “stone set” out of this. And I would wear this antique stone until you can be sure you really don’t like it. $500 should go along way towards an almost free setting. Setting a diamond cost me $75 recently. So the jewelers concessions are not too shabby. Setting it might make it really beautiful. (If you decide to keep it, I might even try a halo, but that will cost you more than a simple solitaire.) Enjoy it on your hand. And then in a few months if it still pains you, sell it and the subsidized setting on Loupe Troop or with LAD.

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing!

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Lykame and @LightBright, thank you so much for your kind words. I've been extremely busy lately and haven't made any moves regarding my diamond, other than ruling out a re-cut. I think there's potentially too much risk and too much weight/value to be lost in a re-cut. And yes, I am afraid of losing some of the stone's better qualities, too. Since speaking with the lady who deals in antique jewelry, I've spent a lot of time looking at pictures and videos of OECs in PS threads and from vendors and I do feel a lot better about what I have. I've thought seriously about contacting either Erica at LAD to talk about consignment, or Adam from OWD to talk about a possible sale/swap, but I haven't done either yet. Inertia, I suppose...

I've also thought a lot about setting it and wearing it to see if I grow to like it more. Your advice about leveraging the free setting offer is really good advice, @LightBright, even though I don't want to deal with that jeweler any more. I suppose I could swallow my pride, if need be and if I absolutely can't bring myself to do that, I could use another vendor and pay for a setting myself. If I do decide to sell the diamond, either now or later, would it sell quicker set or unset? I have no idea! I have a GIA report already, so that's not an issue. If I do set it, I'd stick with a classic solitaire. I don't want a setting that I might love, but doesn't appeal to a wide audience.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Natashacupcake! I can understand your trepidation. Can you enlist the help of a cool headed friend or your husband to come with you to the jeweler and pick out an in-stock setting? (I think you said he was offering from in-stock settings). Honestly, if the price is low enough with your credit, I’d buy something you like, rather than what you think might appeal to others.

Usually people buy stones unset so they can check out the condition. If you have a loose setting that fits, sometimes people like that option and buy both together. And you could always sell just the setting as well.

In terms of a setting, I think it’s a good strategy to not invest too much, but get something you like that will make your stone look pretty. Maybe look at PS to see how others have set OECs and do an initial visit to just look at his settings. (If you don’t see anything you like, try LT or eBay). I’d do this soon so the jeweler doesn’t forget his offer. And so you can start enjoying your diamond! Good luck!

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Natashacupcake! I can understand your trepidation. Can you enlist the help of a cool headed friend or your husband to come with you to the jeweler and pick out an in-stock setting? (I think you said he was offering from in-stock settings). Honestly, if the price is low enough with your credit, I’d buy something you like, rather than what you think might appeal to others.

Usually people buy stones unset so they can check out the condition. If you have a loose setting that fits, sometimes people like that option and buy both together. And you could always sell just the setting as well.

In terms of a setting, I think it’s a good strategy to not invest too much, but get something you like that will make your stone look pretty. Maybe look at PS to see how others have set OECs and do an initial visit to just look at his settings. (If you don’t see anything you like, try LT or eBay). I’d do this soon so the jeweler doesn’t forget his offer. And so you can start enjoying your diamond! Good luck!

Excellent suggestions, @LightBright. I'm really warming up to the idea of setting it to see how I feel before trying to replace it with another stone. I'm going to seriously consider everything you've said. You're right--what's the harm in setting it to see if I can grow to love it? I can always explore the sell option if I'm not happy and I can unset it too if that makes sense at the time. Thank you so much for your encouraging words. You've really helped me see things in a more positive light.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really pleased @LightBright posted such a positive post about your stone, that is really lovely and totally agree that all these stones must have different flavours!

I think if you're not moving on from this diamond then you should definitely get it set and wear it and see what you think. Perhaps there will be happy ending here! If you trust the setter with the diamond then there's little risk to this, you could get a straightforward setting and if you decide you love the diamond you could move forward with the setting and if not you haven't lost much money having it set - it could always be unset if you wanted to move on from the stone itself.

Personally I'm a wimp and I would struggle to go back to that jeweller, I would be so angry with him and would struggle with my pride. Don't be like me! If you can get something free from him then that's definitely worth it. Take your husband for moral support.

Please keep us updated!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, I'm sorry you've been through a rough time - I went back and looked at your videos and I think the stone is pretty! I'm not an expert so I didn't chime in, but I never thought your diamond had a pronounced fish-eye. And I think it's very cool it's a GIA I, imo that is pretty rare for these old cuts! Idk, I think it's kind of tough to find a "perfectly" cut antique diamond (I know some old cuts are well cut, so to those who have one, please don't jump on me) that fits the budget and sometimes compromises are made. This diamond has a lot going for it - color, face-up size, budget friendly, and it does sparkle lol. I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom! This is an unusual situation and it's ok to try to make the best of it.

I like the idea of setting it and just relaxing with it, and allowing yourself to enjoy it. You liked it when you first saw it. Maybe give yourself a chance to enjoy the good things about it instead of zeroing in on what's wrong with it. And it's also ok if you decide it's just not the diamond for you too, but no harm in giving it a chance.

Sending you good thoughts as you move forward with this diamond! I know this has been stressful for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results