shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another (brief) Pad question - sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been looking at buying another Pad recently and have found that I''m drawn to the ones with lavender tones. I tend to buy what I like nowadays rather than what might be considered "best" but I''m really interested in what our resident Pad experts think please?

What I want is one that shows all the different colours (i.e. orange, pink, lavender) and don''t want one predominately one colour or the other. Is lavender in a Pad a complete "no no"?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it''ll definitely be less expensive; I wonder if it''ll still be considered a pad if it has lavender undertones though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 10:46:20 AM
Author: Chrono
Well, it''ll definitely be less expensive; I wonder if it''ll still be considered a pad if it has lavender undertones though.
No question, with the lavender tones it''ll be cheaper. You''ve hit the nail on the head though because at what point does having lavender stop it being a Pad?!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I''m in the market for a pad too, so far all the PS feedback I''ve gotten is that lavender is "not a pad color".

The natural sapphire company does have quite a lot of "pads" that seem to have a lavender tone to them that seem quite lovely still (and not quite as expensive) :) However I do believe someone bought a "pad" from them that failed certification by agtl to qualify as a true pad. :/

But if it looks beautiful, and is much cheaper than an "ideal" pad, is that really a huge deal? If it''s priced almost like a normal pink sapphire, then I don''t think I"d really mind even if it didn''t technically qualify as a pad if I still thought it was what I wanted in terms of color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 11:04:42 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hehe, I''m in the market for a pad too, so far all the PS feedback I''ve gotten is that lavender is ''not a pad color''.

The natural sapphire company does have quite a lot of ''pads'' that seem to have a lavender tone to them that seem quite lovely still (and not quite as expensive) :) However I do believe someone bought a ''pad'' from them that failed certification by agtl to qualify as a true pad. :/

But if it looks beautiful, and is much cheaper than an ''ideal'' pad, is that really a huge deal? If it''s priced almost like a normal pink sapphire, then I don''t think I''d really mind even if it didn''t technically qualify as a pad if I still thought it was what I wanted in terms of color.
Yes if it''s sold as a Pad! If I buy a gemstone sold as a Pad then that''s what I want to get. If it''s sold as a sapphire (pink or otherwise) then I don''t have a problem with it. I do have a problem if lavender isn''t an accepted tone and therefore means that it wouldn''t withstand certification. Hence my question. I actually can''t seem to find the answer on the internet anywhere. I might need to go and have a quick look at Richard Wise''s book to refresh my memory!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
This is what I am thinking, as well. A pad, to me, is not lavender! I am certain you could find a gorgeous stone though, regardless of its technical classification. Sounds like a fun stone!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 11:21:28 AM
Author: icekid

This is what I am thinking, as well. A pad, to me, is not lavender! I am certain you could find a gorgeous stone though, regardless of its technical classification. Sounds like a fun stone!
I agree but the stones I''ve found are not lavender. They are predominately pink/orange but they have a lavender tone in there as well - so tri coloured so to speak! It''s because it''s got the 3 colours that''s making me wonder!!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the experts I have spoken too ...... No, lavender is not an accepted color in a padparadscha. The colors have to be a delicate mixture of pink and orange, as in the lotus flower/sunset.

I also saw the pads on the NSC website and wondered why they were there. Maybe it is what "their in-house" experts think.

I am hoping Richard Wise will chime in here.

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linda,
Is it correct that the colours have to be a perfect mix of orange and pink? The stone cannot exhibit the colours separately as in one side in pink and the other is orange? That is my understanding. As for the NSC lavender tinged pad, remember the eye clean thing? Vendors might call a stone eye clean but the customer might not? Maybe it's that sort of thing.
33.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, The perfect example is T-Gals pad. There isn''t a separation. None that I own separate either. That is my understanding also. Did you see T-Gals pad?? It is breathtaking. The perfect picture of a Padparadcha.

I must have read everything there is to read on pads. Everything said the delicate mixture of pink and orange. Nothing was mentioned about lavender. I also asked two of the experts too, they confirmed.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
In Richard Wise''s book, he mentions lavender in pads. Can''t remember offhand, but I will look it up later. Something about pads found in a certain region (I think in the US) that exhibited lavender in them.

In my discussion with him, he mentioned that in certain heated pads he''s seen, there was lavender.

I saw lavender in the JW pad. Which is why I returned it. I was only wanting to see orangish pink.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
T-Gal, thank you so much for explaining that. That is a new one on me. I have never ever heard that. I also talked to Richard and he never explained that to me. He told me no lavender in a pad. Now I am totally confused.
Good Grief.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, maybe he can explain Linda. But I recall reading it in his book. I''ll look it up tomorrow and quote if I can....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Skippy, that is what I have always been told. T-gal said she will explain further tomorrow, as I am really confused now. Far from what I have ever been told or read.
23.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Page 173 of Richard'' Wise''s book (softcover):

"Rocky Mountain Padparadscha"

Perhaps the finest and most interesting sapphires produced from the Rock Creek and Gem Mountain deposits in Montana are the medium-toned orangy pink violet to violetish orange sapphires. A majority of these stones are actually tricolor with zones of orange and pink and with a secondary hue of lavender (ligh violet). When faceted in the billiant style, the three colors tend to mix into a unique "padparadscha"-type stone that is actually violetish pink orange. The finest of these Rocky Mountain padparradschas are a light to medium tone (40 to 60 percent) with almost no brown mask, allowing an exceptional saturation."

He continues to say, "All sapphire from this source is routinely heat treated."

I hope Richard does not mind me quoting this portion of his book. He does say a bit more in one more paragraph - basically that these stones (from the source)that were graded padparadscha were rare. It seems he''s talking that stones from this particular source have lavender in them? I don''t see mention of the color anywhere else in the chapter about the other sources.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you T-Gal. I have never heard of these pads before. I wonder if they would get certed by the AGTA.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
He also says in the beginning of the chapter:

Hue and Saturation:

Today it is generally accepted that the term padparadscahe may be applied to delicately colored "light to medium tones of pinkish-orange, orangy pink to orange-pink hues." (footnote, Crowningshield "Padparadscha," p.35) The actual percenteages of pink and orange hues cannot be defined generally. It is a question of the individual gem. Additional secondary hues - or, rather, tertiary hues such as yellow or violet - push the definition. Any combination may be acceptable. The key word is "delicate."

Can you see now why I just "hire" the guy?
5.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:42:14 AM
Author: Linda W
Thank you T-Gal. I have never heard of these pads before. I wonder if they would get certed by the AGTA.
I think these stones are the exception, as he notes at the very end of the chapter.

Good book for those interested in colored gems, that''s for sure!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks T-Gal, I see where he said it "pushes the definition". Too bad that all the information on Pads, do not state Richards information.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It seems to me it''s on a stone by stone basis. There are so many variations of color, even when I go to NSC''s pad category.

I may have said this before, but I''m done with pads. I''m not touching them with a 10 foot pole again. I feel lucky to have the one that Richard was kind enough to find for me, but if something were to happen with it, I''m done. Diamonds only for me!! I''m boring, I know!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You and me both, my collection is done. The price of pads are sky high. I am not giving anymore advice out now either. I am totally confused now. HA. I just need to find a setting for the two small pads I have, then I will be happy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:59:36 AM
You and me both, my collection is done. The price of pads are sky high. I am not giving anymore advice out now either. I am totally confused now. HA. I just need to find a setting for the two small pads I have, then I will be happy.
Well, *I* will be happy when you post pics of them on Pricescope!!
2.gif

Linda, whatever will you collect, if not pads?
41.gif
I will admit, the hunt for them is like a drug though...finding the perfect, lovely one. That''s why even in diamonds, I''m done with "ideal" cut RBs. Old cuts or cushions is where I''ll be.........

I''m so glad I kept this pad though. Richard must have thought I was nuts when I told him I was going to return it!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes T-Gal that is what I am looking for. The perfect OEC for my two small pads. Hopefully, I will find one soon. After that, no more collecting of anything for me. I''ll just enjoy what I have. I''m too old, ha.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:19:25 AM
Yes T-Gal that is what I am looking for. The perfect OEC for my two small pads. Hopefully, I will find one soon. After that, no more collecting of anything for me. I''ll just enjoy what I have. I''m too old, ha.
Uh no...you are not old. And speaking of, you should find yourself something EXTRA special for a particular birthday coming up!!
31.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, that is why I am looking for the OEC. Funny, we are thinking of the same thing.
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 12:59:36 AM
Oh no! But then who would we newbies turn to for such sagely advice if you and TGal retire from the pad world?
And I agree, would love to see pictures when you''re all done setting your lovely gems :)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 6:02:48 AM
Author: Edward Bristol
A Pad is orange pink or pinkish orange. period.

I had to admit non-Ceylon Pads into my stock, but if it is something other than a mix of pink and orange I would not call it a pad.

Thank you Ed, I always value your advice and wisdom.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results