shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another (brief) Pad question - sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 8:07:45 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 3/9/2009 12:59:36 AM

Author: Linda W

You and me both, my collection is done. The price of pads are sky high. I am not giving anymore advice out now either. I am totally confused now. HA. I just need to find a setting for the two small pads I have, then I will be happy.

Oh no! But then who would we newbies turn to for such sagely advice if you and TGal retire from the pad world?

And I agree, would love to see pictures when you''re all done setting your lovely gems :)

I will help you as much as I can MTG. I was so confused. HA

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:44:48 PM

Date: 3/9/2009 8:07:45 AM

Date: 3/9/2009 12:59:36 AM

You and me both, my collection is done. The price of pads are sky high. I am not giving anymore advice out now either. I am totally confused now. HA. I just need to find a setting for the two small pads I have, then I will be happy.

Oh no! But then who would we newbies turn to for such sagely advice if you and TGal retire from the pad world?

And I agree, would love to see pictures when you're all done setting your lovely gems :)

I will help you as much as I can MTG. I was so confused. HA
LOL Linda, I don't think you should be confused. I think pads are what you've been saying all along. But as we've seen from vendors, there seems to be some room from interpretation!

I'd be interested to see what Richard says about the segment in his book, which I hope I did not misquote.

ETA, MTG, I am no expert (or for that matter, even savvy) on pads. I only have seen 3 of them, one of which was synthetic.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
well I''ve never seen one with lavender either. A little more pink than peach maybe but not lavender. Someone will have to post some pics. I''m curious now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:50:26 PM
Author: innerkitten
well I''ve never seen one with lavender either. A little more pink than peach maybe but not lavender. Someone will have to post some pics. I''m curious now.

Can you see it in this pad?

SAP029f.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great link Skippy!

I thought about getting the JW pad certed by AGTA. I thought it was quite reasonable. For a 2 c stone, the cert/ID, origin report, pics, (basically the works) was $265. I know they are more expensive, but when spending a fair amount of change, 265 bucks didn''t seem to bad to ensure what I was getting. I didn''t bother because I returned the stone.

For a week I feel like I read every article on pads out there. There is precious little talk of any sort of color other than orange and pink in a pad. Which is why I returned the JW pad. Not because I didn''t see the pink and orange (I did), but I also saw the lavender. I wanted the "classic" pad color, which to me was a delicate peachy pink.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I guess I do see a bit of blue tone. But at first glance it just looks salmon in color.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 2:05:28 PM
Author: innerkitten
I guess I do see a bit of blue tone. But at first glance it just looks salmon in color.
It was a lot more lavender in person. I didn''t even think the lavender was part of the stone when I saw the stock photo. Thought it was a reflection or something.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, this is unrelated kind of, but we were learning about color coding and the visual system in our med school curriculum, and man do humans suck at identifying pure colors, lol. Our eyes are built to enhance and detect edges (not pure color tones), which is probably why most gem dealers recommend you bring something standardized with you when gem shopping so you have something to compare the stones to. I definitely remember in Thailand, a lot of gem dealers would try to "trick" you by showing you a lot of lighter colored stones with the stone they were trying to sell you so that the color seemed stronger.

Also, on Natural Sapphire Company's website, they have quite a few "pads" which are just downright lavender/purple.
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Cushion/stoneid=PA103

PA103_1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys for your input.

From my own perspective (and the reason I asked this question), I believe that there is a real absence of what is/is not considered to be a Pad other than "orangey pink" and "pinkish orange". To me, it appears to be judged more on a stone by stone basis and what one person would consider a Pad, another wouldn''t. Not exactly helpful but I guess it''s along the same lines as when does a pink sapphire become a Ruby!

Interestingly, I found this picture of Pad rough - I can really see lavender in this!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:53:12 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

From my own perspective (and the reason I asked this question), I believe that there is a real absence of what is/is not considered to be a Pad other than ''orangey pink'' and ''pinkish orange''. To me, it appears to be judged more on a stone by stone basis and what one person would consider a Pad, another wouldn''t. Not exactly helpful but I guess it''s along the same lines as when does a pink sapphire become a Ruby!

Interestingly, I found this picture of Pad rough - I can really see lavender in this!
LD, I use that pic of the rough for my inspiration pic in the collage on my thread. I noticed that lavender, and wonder how that rough was cut. Not sure if the top part would be the real "pad" part and the bottom would just be a purple sapphire.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:18:52 PM
Hehe, this is unrelated kind of, but we were learning about color coding and the visual system in our med school curriculum, and man do humans suck at identifying pure colors, lol. Our eyes are built to enhance and detect edges (not pure color tones), which is probably why most gem dealers recommend you bring something standardized with you when gem shopping so you have something to compare the stones to. I definitely remember in Thailand, a lot of gem dealers would try to ''trick'' you by showing you a lot of lighter colored stones with the stone they were trying to sell you so that the color seemed stronger.

Also, on Natural Sapphire Company''s website, they have quite a few ''pads'' which are just downright lavender/purple.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Cushion/stoneid=PA103

That is a horrible looking stone. That doesn''t even look like a pad. I don''t see how they can even call it one.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock

From my own perspective (and the reason I asked this question), I believe that there is a real absence of what is/is not considered to be a Pad other than ''orangey pink'' and ''pinkish orange''. To me, it appears to be judged more on a stone by stone basis and what one person would consider a Pad, another wouldn''t. Not exactly helpful but I guess it''s along the same lines as when does a pink sapphire become a Ruby!

I have always loved this picture and I have it saved. Now to me, I see a very dark orangy pink. I guess each person sees different things.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:57:13 PM

I have always loved this picture and I have it saved. Now to me, I see a very dark orangy pink. I guess each person sees different things.
really? even if you were to cut the pic in half and look at the lower half only?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it may be my monitor too. But I see a very dark orangy pink. I know call me weird. HA.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 5:06:25 PM
I''m struggling to see either pink (in the truest sense of the word) or orange in this and I''m seeing far more lavender. So if lavender isn''t considered an acceptable modifier then how can this be classified as a Pad?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Emerald-Cut/stoneid=PA240
I tell ya LD, this pad thing is a headache, lol.

Anything I buy that is classified as pad, I''d get it certed, period. I know certs aren''t the be all end all, but I want to know if I''m getting exactly what I''ve paid a premium for. These days, it seems like people will label anything that exhibits any kind of pink and orange a pad.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 5:08:39 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I''m struggling to see either pink (in the truest sense of the word) or orange in this and I''m seeing far more lavender. So if lavender isn''t considered an acceptable modifier then how can this be classified as a Pad?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Emerald-Cut/stoneid=PA240

Anything I buy that is classified as pad, I''d get it certed, period. I know certs aren''t the be all end all, but I want to know if I''m getting exactly what I''ve paid a premium for. These days, it seems like people will label anything that exhibits any kind of pink and orange a pad.
Yep I''m right with you on this one!

Interestingly I thought that certs never actually said "Padparadscha" on them so was interested in the AGTA link above because quite clearly they do! You live and learn.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 5:15:13 PM

Date: 3/9/2009 5:08:39 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Yep I''m right with you on this one!

Interestingly I thought that certs never actually said ''Padparadscha'' on them so was interested in the AGTA link above because quite clearly they do! You live and learn.
I think it was something they started within the last few years. Richard Wise has a blog entry about what pinning down what pad colors might mean - let me find the link...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I"m off to the Natural Sapp Company on Wednesday, and I''ll bring up the lavender/color grading thing and see what they have to say. To be taken with a grain of salt obviously since they will be trying to sell me something :razz: Still, I hear they''re a reputable sapphire dealer so I''d be interested to know how they classify their pads (since many of their listed pads don''t meet the "pinky-orange" that the definition seems to demand)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 5:26:34 PM
Well, I''m off to the Natural Sapp Company on Wednesday, and I''ll bring up the lavender/color grading thing and see what they have to say. To be taken with a grain of salt obviously since they will be trying to sell me something :razz: Still, I hear they''re a reputable sapphire dealer so I''d be interested to know how they classify their pads (since many of their listed pads don''t meet the ''pinky-orange'' that the definition seems to demand)

I''ll be interested to hear about the experience!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too, can''t wait to hear all about it.
36.gif
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did they say who you will be meeting with, or you just have to wait until you arrive??

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m very excited as well, so you can be sure I will write all about it when I come back! (Think they''ll let me take notes?) Haha, I''ll even bring my camera along but something tells me I won''t be allowed to take pics :razz:

I''ve been corresponding with Livia Brode, who set up my Wednesday appointment, so I''m assuming I''m meeting with her. But if I get introduced to Steve (?) I''ll be sure to say that Linda from Cali says hi!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you MTG. I haven''t spoken to Steve in over a year or longer. Hopefully, he will still remember me.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 5:51:59 PM
Thank you MTG. I haven't spoken to Steve in over a year or longer. Hopefully, he will still remember me.

Well, I'll bring a picture of your avatar with me on my phone to jog his memory. :) Who could forget that stone!

...unless you didn't get it from him, wouldn't want him thinking you were steppin out ;-)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha ha ha. Yes, I bought that from him in 2006. He should remember, at least I hope he does.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results