shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow - The DREADED color in diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I suppose that a D could be a status symbol for some. To me I want it to look as white as possible, but I don''t need a D. Maybe if I was a multi-millionaire and had nothing better to spend my money on I would go with no color no flaws, but to me as I sit today as long as it is below L I am happy. I don''t even mind small flaws as they are character to me. Nothing nature creates is always perfect. The fact that nature creates something as beautiful as a diamond is enough to blow me away.

I am not opposed to fancy colors. In saying that I don''t think that I would spend money on a yellow or even chocolate diamond. I would go pink or blue though. It is all in preference.

If I were to see a high color diamond in beautiful setting I would not think anything less of the diamond because it is not white. I like white diamonds in white settings. I don''t even like yellow gold, but that is just me.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry, bear with me. I need to untangle here...

Harriet, I definitely make a distinction between "warm" – something I would describe as "tint," and true color like "yellow" or "brown" or "pink" or "orange" or "red" – all "Fancy" colors with a warm base (as opposed to Fancy cooler colors like "green," "blue" and "violet," for example). And, as already posted, I, too, agree – any reputable vendor can/should not call something a "Fancy" color, whether it be a warm color like yellow or cool color like blue, if it isn''t a true "Fancy." However, this assumes that a vendor is using a reputable grading system, like GIA''s; a system that has already drawn the abstract line between lower colored and Fancy colored diamonds. Of course, as we know, there is no hard and fast rule that says all vendors must use GIA or equivalent reports, and each grading system has different parameters (or none, really, at all). And, that''s the rub... no? For, how can one prevent a seller from calling a stone "Fancy" if he/she wants to do so, even though the stone would be far from Fancy according to GIA? Bottom line: you can''t. There is no Diamond Grading Police. All one can do is educate consumers about diamond properties and relative pricing.

I''m sorry, Harriet, after all my jabbering, I''m still not quite sure what you were going for earlier. My apologies, but, I want to get this. Are you implying that if sellers describe anything with a hint of what we might think of as warm color – what the OP describes as "DREADED" yellow tint – as "Fancy" then, the stone will receive more respect by consumers merely because of it''s "Fancy" title?

This post might ramble and I'm sorry in advance!

First, Amethyste, I LOVE your ring. I have talked about it with a friend that also loves pears, "Oh I HAVE to show you this ring on my diamond website, it's to die for!" hehe!

When I first started looking at diamonds I didn't care for "yellowy" diamonds. But, back then I was also sure I was going to get a princess cut diamond
2.gif
(I own all round diamonds now). By the time we got my engagement ring, I wanted an OEC and color didn't matter! When I bought it, I was told it was *verbally* .60, g/vs1 .. it appraised for .70, J/Si2 (where SI2? no freaking clue) I always suspected it wasn't a G and it was maybe an I... but it is GORGEOUS. It's in a WG setting that started fading, so I had it redipped. Now that it's redipped I can really see the "soft yellow" in the stone and it's just so perfect. "Friends"& strangers have commented how small it is, how it's a "weird cut", "why does it have a hole at the bottom", "this diamond is kinda yellow" .. I just smile and picture punching the strangers in the face (trust me, the insults get worse).

If they can't appreciate/ or won't appreciate warmer diamonds-- well-- more for me! But I think there are different kinds of people that prefer white diamonds.

A) I've been told white diamonds are the best, so I believe anything less is horrible
and
B) I really do just love white diamonds, regardless of money, or what others think

It's those "A" type people that I don't like and probably wouldn't be friends with anyways. Just because you were TOLD yellow isn't good you won't believe a yellow diamond has great fire (well-cut) and sparkle? GET A THOUGHT FOR YOURSELF! Arg. But I really don't mind people that just prefer white diamonds. It's up to them. And to be honest, I do like colors D-Z and fancies. And blues.. and everything. I like ALL diamond colors (but not peach for myself).

Hah. Ok I am rambling. Basically, I LOVE YOUR RING and don't let those "haters" get you down
31.gif
9.gif

Edit: and if it matters, my diamond rings are G, I, and J and I think my side stones are H

Date: 8/17/2009 1:44:04 PM
Author: Rockit
I''m sorry, bear with me. I need to untangle here...

Harriet, I definitely make a distinction between ''warm'' – something I would describe as ''tint,'' and true color like ''yellow'' or ''brown'' or ''pink'' or ''orange'' or ''red'' – all ''Fancy'' colors with a warm base (as opposed to Fancy cooler colors like ''green,'' ''blue'' and ''violet,'' for example). And, as already posted, I, too, agree – any reputable vendor can/should not call something a ''Fancy'' color, whether it be a warm color like yellow or cool color like blue, if it isn''t a true ''Fancy.'' However, this assumes that a vendor is using a reputable grading system, like GIA''s; a system that has already drawn the abstract line between lower colored and Fancy colored diamonds. Of course, as we know, there is no hard and fast rule that says all vendors must use GIA or equivalent reports, and each grading system has different parameters (or none, really, at all). And, that''s the rub... no? For, how can one prevent a seller from calling a stone ''Fancy'' if he/she wants to do so, even though the stone would be far from Fancy according to GIA? Bottom line: you can''t. There is no Diamond Grading Police. All one can do is educate consumers about diamond properties and relative pricing.

I''m sorry, Harriet, after all my jabbering, I''m still not quite sure what you were going for earlier. My apologies, but, I want to get this. Are you implying that if sellers describe anything with a hint of what we might think of as warm color – what the OP describes as ''DREADED'' yellow tint – as ''Fancy'' then, the stone will receive more respect by consumers merely because of it''s ''Fancy'' title?
Yes and I think they can charge more for it
5.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I agree with those that think education is the key...When a person educates themselves it gives them power to choose what they really want inspite of popular opinions about quality grading of a particular stone.Stones are graded mainly to create a selling price in the market place as well as to give the needed industrial jargin to select a stone for purchase at retail or wholesale levels or replace one when lost or stolen(insurance).If after education, a person decides they love a diamond that has a yellow body color and the price is fair then they should feel comfortable in owning and wearing that stone!The only time I discriminate against a lower graded diamond is when the seller mis-represents the stone as better quality and profits off the customers lack of education.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amey, to answer your orginal question, I think the people "out there" are split, and not evenly so, between the ones for whom a D or E color diamond is indeed a status symbol, and the much much larger portion of our society who wouldn''t know what their stone''s color grade was if their very lives depended on it. Most mall stores sell J/K/L colored stones with bad cut parameters and let''s face it, even with the Internet and the ready availability of fine quality diamonds, most e-rings are still purchased from a mall store or a local neighborhood jeweler who''s just trying to turn their inventory. We know here on PS, CUT makes ALL the difference in the world! Cut is king!

Frankly, I''d take any and all (please don''t hesitate to mail me some
2.gif
) very well cut/ideal cut/premium cut stones, no matter what the color grade. Personally, I LOVELOVELOVE your stone and your ring. I went back to when you first posted about finding Lemony. You said you found the diamond "that made your heart sing!" I smiled when I read that because diamonds and jewelry not only celebrate the special times of our lives, but they should make our heart sing every time we put a piece on. Please don''t allow anyone to cause you to feel badly about Lemony''s color. She''s one gorgeous beauty!

Just how many of us have 5+ carat stones anyway??? and a VVS at that! Do you know how big Lemony''s rough had to be, to be able to orient her to a cut and polished 5+ carat stone with VVS clarity? That had to be one incredibly huge and gorgeous piece of rough. It''s SO RARE! Talk about rarity.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2009 3:41:49 PM
Author: swedish bean
"Friends" & strangers have commented how small it is, how it's a 'weird cut', 'why does it have a hole at the bottom', 'this diamond is kinda yellow' ..
Wow, how rude of them!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 4:24:53 PM
Author: gemgirl
Amey, to answer your orginal question, I think the people ''out there'' are split, and not evenly so, between the ones for whom a D or E color diamond is indeed a status symbol, and the much much larger portion of our society who wouldn''t know what their stone''s color grade was if their very lives depended on it. Most mall stores sell J/K/L colored stones with bad cut parameters and let''s face it, even with the Internet and the ready availability of fine quality diamonds, most e-rings are still purchased from a mall store or a local neighborhood jeweler who''s just trying to turn their inventory. We know here on PS, CUT makes ALL the difference in the world! Cut is king!

Frankly, I''d take any and all (please don''t hesitate to mail me some
2.gif
) very well cut/ideal cut/premium cut stones, no matter what the color grade. Personally, I LOVELOVELOVE your stone and your ring. I went back to when you first posted about finding Lemony. You said you found the diamond ''that made your heart sing!'' I smiled when I read that because diamonds and jewelry not only celebrate the special times of our lives, but they should make our heart sing every time we put a piece on. Please don''t allow anyone to cause you to feel badly about Lemony''s color. She''s one gorgeous beauty!

Just how many of us have 5+ carat stones anyway??? and a VVS at that! Do you know how big Lemony''s rough had to be, to be able to orient her to a cut and polished 5+ carat stone with VVS clarity? That had to be one incredibly huge and gorgeous piece of rough. It''s SO RARE! Talk about rarity.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

Gemgirl - you are ONE AWESOME GEM!!! Your replies are always so kind and enunciated, I admire your ability to put your thoughts in words that are so easy to read and follow... I enjoy your posts and to get to know you through this community. Thank you for your reply...

As for the yellow highlighted part, this was also a point that i was trying to bring in this discussion. I think that diamonds in the lower color spectrum are just as rare as in the beginning of the spectrum? maybe they are not, but I seem to not be able to find them online or in stores? That either lead me to believe that they are either rare or just not shown/available to the public... It''s a shame cause they are gorgeous...

Thank you so much for your comment on my pear, I love Lemony so... :) How big you think the rough was before she was cut into her 5.13CT?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
its all pretty much been said but i thought i''d let you know that the reason i ended up with a spess e-ring is that doing the research and seeing the desireable diamonds left me wanting more. i can see why people desire a D but i found it boring. and i couldn''t find any vendors that had an M much less a Z! had a vendor been willing to work with me, i''d have been willing to have a diamond e-ring.

mz

ps come on over to the color forum!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2009 5:02:51 PM
Author: Amethyste

Date: 8/17/2009 4:24:53 PM
Author: gemgirl
Amey, to answer your orginal question, I think the people 'out there' are split, and not evenly so, between the ones for whom a D or E color diamond is indeed a status symbol, and the much much larger portion of our society who wouldn't know what their stone's color grade was if their very lives depended on it. Most mall stores sell J/K/L colored stones with bad cut parameters and let's face it, even with the Internet and the ready availability of fine quality diamonds, most e-rings are still purchased from a mall store or a local neighborhood jeweler who's just trying to turn their inventory. We know here on PS, CUT makes ALL the difference in the world! Cut is king!

Frankly, I'd take any and all (please don't hesitate to mail me some
2.gif
) very well cut/ideal cut/premium cut stones, no matter what the color grade. Personally, I LOVELOVELOVE your stone and your ring. I went back to when you first posted about finding Lemony. You said you found the diamond 'that made your heart sing!' I smiled when I read that because diamonds and jewelry not only celebrate the special times of our lives, but they should make our heart sing every time we put a piece on. Please don't allow anyone to cause you to feel badly about Lemony's color. She's one gorgeous beauty!

Just how many of us have 5+ carat stones anyway??? and a VVS at that! Do you know how big Lemony's rough had to be, to be able to orient her to a cut and polished 5+ carat stone with VVS clarity? That had to be one incredibly huge and gorgeous piece of rough. It's SO RARE! Talk about rarity.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

Gemgirl - you are ONE AWESOME GEM!!! Your replies are always so kind and enunciated, I admire your ability to put your thoughts in words that are so easy to read and follow... I enjoy your posts and to get to know you through this community. Thank you for your reply...

As for the yellow highlighted part, this was also a point that i was trying to bring in this discussion. I think that diamonds in the lower color spectrum are just as rare as in the beginning of the spectrum? maybe they are not, but I seem to not be able to find them online or in stores? That either lead me to believe that they are either rare or just not shown/available to the public... It's a shame cause they are gorgeous...

Thank you so much for your comment on my pear, I love Lemony so... :) How big you think the rough was before she was cut into her 5.13CT?
Thank you for the compliment Amey. You're such a sweetheart! Most of the statistics I have read about the waste portion of a diamond's rough apply to round brilliant diamonds which account for as much as 80 to 85% of all diamonds that are cut for jewelry. When cutting a round brilliant, as much as 50% of the rough can be wasted. When it comes to fancy shapes, not as much is wasted because there's more freedom in orienting the desired shape of the end product to the cleanliness of the original rough, but I can't find any percentages for you on cutting specific shapes of fancies and waste. Let's just say there's a little less waste than when cutting a round. Then too, you really never know. I've seen photos of rough diamonds right out of the ground that were absolutely remarkable. I think each piece of rough is as individual as the diamond they become in the end. My guess is that Lemony was in the very least - 8.5 carats, but probably more because that would be only 40% waste and it could have been higher.

Although color does cost us more when buying a stone, I believe that clarity is equally as rare the higher you go. VVS is incredibly rare.

We are SO going to have an east coast get together! I have to see Lemony in person!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i do know a few people who won't get a diamond if it's not in the D-F range, and that combined with carat weight is what tops their list and would gladly sacrifice cut and clarity. then there are others i know of who's lists are completely opposite. i guess what i'm trying to say is that everyone has their own order of importance of the 4 C's, but i think that a lot of what makes diamonds so special is that there's so much variety. i agree with how you said that the sky's the limit, and there's always going to be something out there to suit any preference. personally, i love diamonds of all colors!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Are D-color diamonds a status symbol? They certainly were to me at one time. Then I got educated on Pricescope and discovered the range of colors from D to Fancy Yellow. Now I have a J-color, Q-color, R-color and Fancy Light Yellow soon to be in my possession! Would I love to have a D-color to go in between my Q- & R- colors? YOU BET, but I could never bring myself to spend the money on a D-color now. Well, maybe if it were an eye-clean SI1!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others that most people who opt to get a diamond in the H-I-J-K range are really trying to maximize the size of their stone for the price. I really can't ever see someone choosing a J stone over a D stone if they were the same price. I think the vast majority of people prefer a "white" diamond because, hey, they are beautiful when they sparkle white like ice.... And people who get lower color stone will mostly always justify their purchase by stating "it faces up really white!"

As for my husband and I, the nicest stone we ever laid eyes on (in our price range - of course) happen to be in the J color range. It is an ideal cut stone, and we got an absolutely fantastic price for it. The same size stone in a D color would easily have been double to triple the price. We could have bought a 1 carat in the D range for the same price, but the size of the 1.56 just looked so perfect on my finger! But, let's be honest, had there been an equally sparkly stone, ideal cut, with all the same specs but a D, and for the same price, I would have chosen that in a heart beat!

In real life, no one has EVER noticed the tint in my stone. I honestly can't even see the tint unless it's right beside a colorless (e.g. D color) stone. In some lighting, like sunlight, I do notice a slight tint from the side view but I think all diamonds may look more yellow in the sun.

Before I joined PS, I would have never considered getting a diamond that was not colorless. This forum taught me and my husband that the best quality diamond is really one with the best cut. Nothing pisses me off more than people who assume a lower cut stone is of "lower quality" because of the color. It's total BS... the only reason colorless diamonds are more $$$ is because it's in higher demand, because it's more popular and marketed that way... In my personal, albeit biased opinion, a stone that is less than ideal cut is of lower quality... but that is just a matter of perception I suppose.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love D colors and yellows. Just to illustrate: the top one is a D color, the bottom one is a fancy yellow:

lkcnry3.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 2:20:34 AM
Author: ilovethiswebsite
I agree with the others that most people who opt to get a diamond in the H-I-J-K range are really trying to maximize the size of their stone for the price.
Ouch! (I''m just teasing -- no skin off my nose.) I bought my diamond (graded as an I) because I loved the look, and have been hounding Brian Gavin since Day 1 to find one of a higher colour. It''s been a long search, which I then complicated by asking for a larger size. Meanwhile, I''ve had the suspicion that my stone is a keeper. When I met Brian recently, he confirmed it -- no upgrade, he said.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 1:44:04 PM
Author: Rockit
I'm sorry, bear with me. I need to untangle here...

Harriet, I definitely make a distinction between 'warm' – something I would describe as 'tint,' and true color like 'yellow' or 'brown' or 'pink' or 'orange' or 'red' – all 'Fancy' colors with a warm base (as opposed to Fancy cooler colors like 'green,' 'blue' and 'violet,' for example). And, as already posted, I, too, agree – any reputable vendor can/should not call something a 'Fancy' color, whether it be a warm color like yellow or cool color like blue, if it isn't a true 'Fancy.' However, this assumes that a vendor is using a reputable grading system, like GIA's; a system that has already drawn the abstract line between lower colored and Fancy colored diamonds. Of course, as we know, there is no hard and fast rule that says all vendors must use GIA or equivalent reports, and each grading system has different parameters (or none, really, at all). And, that's the rub... no? For, how can one prevent a seller from calling a stone 'Fancy' if he/she wants to do so, even though the stone would be far from Fancy according to GIA? Bottom line: you can't. There is no Diamond Grading Police. All one can do is educate consumers about diamond properties and relative pricing.

I'm sorry, Harriet, after all my jabbering, I'm still not quite sure what you were going for earlier. My apologies, but, I want to get this. Are you implying that if sellers describe anything with a hint of what we might think of as warm color – what the OP describes as 'DREADED' yellow tint – as 'Fancy' then, the stone will receive more respect by consumers merely because of it's 'Fancy' title?
Hi Rockit,
Your "jabbering" explained my thoughts more clearly. What I was trying to articulate is that, assuming that a lab report has substance, ethical vendors ought not represent something that is not graded as "coloured" as coloured. In other words, he/she ought to differentiate between "warm/tinted" and "coloured." I'd love a white with a faint pink (Nicrez and I stumbled across one that was graded as a white and was barely blushing), but I will not pay the price of a coloured, nor will I call it one.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 1:19:11 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 8/23/2009 2:20:34 AM

Author: ilovethiswebsite

I agree with the others that most people who opt to get a diamond in the H-I-J-K range are really trying to maximize the size of their stone for the price.
Ouch! (I''m just teasing -- no skin off my nose.) I bought my diamond (graded as an I) because I loved the look, and have been hounding Brian Gavin since Day 1 to find one of a higher colour. It''s been a long search, which I then complicated by asking for a larger size. Meanwhile, I''ve had the suspicion that my stone is a keeper. When I met Brian recently, he confirmed it -- no upgrade, he said.

ehhehe. sorry harriet - you are clearly the exception! do you think you would have considered a J/K range stone?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No apology necessary.
35.gif
My stone was graded as a J by two independent appraisers.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Great choices in rings and watch!
Date: 8/23/2009 8:13:31 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I love D colors and yellows. Just to illustrate: the top one is a D color, the bottom one is a fancy yellow:

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 8:13:31 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux

I really love the yellow diamond, especially with your rolex. It looks smashing!!!!!!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who had the ugliest (extremely long) 1 carat D flawless marquis in the world (IMO - she loved it obviously) and shortly after I got my stone she lost her ring and replaced it with a 1.25 carat F VVS2 oval that was a much better cut. I can tell it bugs her a little because she used to brag all the time about her D Flawless and she doesn''t bring up her stats as much anymore, but the diamond is so much nicer now and she gets way more complements. But she has held up her hand next to mine and said, wow look how yellow yours looks next to mine (mine is a J) and I am not a superficial person but I can''t help but say back, "Look how tiny yours is" ugh - there''s nothing small with her size so why do I stoop? comedy is my guess :razz:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 3:40:02 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I have a friend who had the ugliest (extremely long) 1 carat D flawless marquis in the world (IMO - she loved it obviously) and shortly after I got my stone she lost her ring and replaced it with a 1.25 carat F VVS2 oval that was a much better cut. I can tell it bugs her a little because she used to brag all the time about her D Flawless and she doesn''t bring up her stats as much anymore, but the diamond is so much nicer now and she gets way more complements. But she has held up her hand next to mine and said, wow look how yellow yours looks next to mine (mine is a J) and I am not a superficial person but I can''t help but say back, ''Look how tiny yours is'' ugh - there''s nothing small with her size so why do I stoop? comedy is my guess :razz:

your ring IS GORGEOUS Sara. I think she must feel the need to say such remarks to boost her insecurities...

That was the reason for this thread - how people treat "yellow tinge/color/cast" diamonds" as inferior. I think all diamonds are beautiful but the warmer ones are my favorite.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 3:53:44 PM
Author: Amethyste

your ring IS GORGEOUS Sara. I think she must feel the need to say such remarks to boost her insecurities...

That was the reason for this thread - how people treat ''yellow tinge/color/cast'' diamonds'' as inferior. I think all diamonds are beautiful but the warmer ones are my favorite.

thank you :) Like everyone else, I had a choice to pick whatever I wanted, within reason. Even the most spoiled (hehe) of PSers don''t have the crown jewels in the tower of london... ha! And what I wanted was something that made rainbows and the hue of the stone was much more irrelevant. I did love the ivory tint to it though, it feels like it has more substance to me. I actually like the stones closer to L or M even more but they were harder to source at the time. I am attracted to D strong blue... but for entirely different reasons - definitely not for status.

personally I have never seen yellow diamonds as less... I think the deeper yellow stones maybe have a social advantage over the stones like mine in that they seem more intentional and not like a compromise - but I didn''t feel like I compromised on mine lol People are weird and so is society at large!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some people drop down in color as a sacrifice for bigger size, but many others just love the warmth, depth and color play of a lower colored diamond. My own personal sweet spot is K or lower. When I was shopping for an asscher/square emerald for myself I found 2 stones within my budget and size range (I was looking at 2+ carat size), a 2 carat D, VS2 and a 3 carat L, VS2. The D cost a little more than the L but cost and size were not determining factors since both fell within my desired size and price range. But I snapped up the L fast as can be - the D didn''t stand a chance. I''m just not drawn to colorless stones. I actually didn''t want to go as big as 3 carats, but I made that sacrifice in order to get the color I love
31.gif

But if I had a dollar for every conversation I''ve had with non-diamond savvy friends that went like this...

Me: You can try it on if you like.

Her: Wow, it''s so pretty and so clear! And why does it look like a rainbow? I''ve never seen diamonds that look like this. I LOVE the colors! It must be a really high quality...

Me: It''s an L/M/N color in an antique cut. That''s why it looks different from most diamonds you''ve seen.

Her: Is L the "best" color?

Me: The color scale starts at D/E/F for colorless stones, then down it goes until you get into the light yellows. L/M/N has a faint yellow tint. It''s just a matter of preference.

Her: [looking puzzled] Oh. So it''s a bad quality then, since it has yellow in it?

At this point they usually walk away confused because their eyes are contradicting what they have been conditioned to think. The good news, though, is that these interactions have helped many of my friends learn to simply choose what they love. Sometimes that''s colorless, and many times it''s warm colors.

One more relevant anecdote. My best friend was getting engaged. She and I had been corresponding for months as I tried to help her narrow down what she wanted. Her highest priority was "best quality" and after drilling down a bit, I realized that to her this meant whatever is being marketed as high quality (colorless). Until I jumped onto the project, she had only been to mall stores and was begging me to make sure her boyfriend got her a "clear" stone (she must have seen a lot of heavily included stones in her circle) and something really white.

So time went by as I waited for her boyfriend to make the first move (ask for help) when she fell madly in love with a video clip of a 1.86ct antique rectangular asscher/emerald cut we had. The boyfriend calls me up and wants to get it for her. So I get nervous and try to explain to her that it''s an EGL I color, so it has some warmth and won''t be the super white colorless stone she told me she wanted. She didn''t care, and said she trusted me to make sure she got a diamond she loves and that something about THAT stone was speaking to her. GULP. No pressure!

Anyway, he did end up buying the stone and sent me a mounting he already bought at a B&M store months before (silly rabbit), and by some miracle we managed to fit the stone in this setting (set it E/W - so cool!) and he presented it to her and she lost her mind! She says it''s the most beautiful diamond she''d ever seen and couldn''t wrap her brain around the gorgeous warm tones it flashed, and said this diamond felt like a living, breathing thing - like it was warm blooded and so different from what her friends had. She ADORED the slight warmth and said she''d have preferred it to be even more "yellow" and was so thankful that she didn''t get the D/E/F she originally thought she wanted. And she loves that her stone is so different from anything she sees around her.

So my point, after all of this rambling, is that many people are clouded by what they are "taught" to want and forget to just let their eyes and hearts be the judge of what is beautiful, whether that''s a D, an M or a Q. Use the reports and specs and all the tools available to us to make a decision about price and cut quality, etc., but at the end of the day let our feelings guide us to what''s most beautiful. And for each of us, that will be different. Then flaunt what you got, baby!

So if I was gonna wish for something, this would be it - for people to buy what they love rather than getting hung up on stats. Well, that and world peace
9.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
erica, this reads like a romance novel! Very exciting stuff about antique diamonds!!!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/24/2009 10:10:27 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
erica, this reads like a romance novel! Very exciting stuff about antique diamonds!!!!

What can I say? I'm a passionate woman with very strong feelings about color, heee, heee
12.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I tend to like the colorless/near colorless stones more than the yellows. But I don't like the color yellow in general, I now own a nice handful of colored gems, and not a single one is yellow, and I am not looking for one. Just my personal tastes.

I do appreciate fancy yellow diamonds, and I do appreciate all the warmer diamonds that are on here. I think that all the diverse tastes on this forum is what makes it interesting. I don't think I would be coming back here as much if everyone had "cloned" diamonds. Regardless, I do not consider yellow the "dreaded" color in diamonds.

I think that education has brought my color preferences down a little. When I came on here I preferred stones in the colorless range. I just liked clear look when the diamond is on its side. Since purchasing my ACA studs, I have realized I can go down a little and still be happy, but I can start to see a real difference on the "I" colored stones. So I would prefer a G-H. Who knows if that will change when it comes time to give BF preferences (if he even asks for them).

BTW Harriet, I am hoping for a Brian Gavin stone too :).

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate everyone''s input on this thread... I love to read what people have to say, it is fascinating and interesting. :)
Personally, yellow is my favorite color. Luckily, yellow looks nice on my olivy/golden skin but I can see why with others, they are not
so attracted to it. It''s all a matter of choice. I love to see when people purchase a low(er) color diamond they set them to accentuate
the beautiful warmth istead of trying to find a way to mask it. I think the setting is just as important as the diamond itself. It can really showcase
the centerpiece of totally ruin it :)

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 11:30:03 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 8/24/2009 10:10:27 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
I agree! lol

If I knew ''then'' what I know ''now'' I''d have found a lower color stone with better clarity and some flouro.. its my favorite.
SDL, I think for me this is the reason why I didn''t get a nice diamond for a very long time. I was holding out for the D/VS1 and I was never going attain it. I am so glad I found GOG through a Google search for oval diamonds and Pricescope through a local appraiser. Funny how a couple of casual meetings can really change things!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 12:18:23 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
BTW Harriet, I am hoping for a Brian Gavin stone too :).
And may you get it, m''dear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results