shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow - The DREADED color in diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 2:05:46 PM
Author: Moh 10

Date: 8/16/2009 1:40:29 PM
Author: Ellen
Many people come here either having been erroneously told/sold that high color and clarity make the most beautiful diamonds, or they''ve been to the mall and have seen SI1''s that made them run away in fear, therefore they think all SI1''s look like that and think they need to go way up the ladder on clarity.

I agree, many newbies come here misinformed that high clarity and color are responsible for beauty rather than cut.
And yes I too will work to educate such a newbie.
I frequently mention that the majority DO land in I/J SI eye-clean range, without saying this range is better or worse.
May people really do want to be part of the larger group, assuming it must be better, rather than doing lots of homework.
So be it.

After the education if their comfort zone in the I/J SI eye-clean category (or anywhere else) then that is perfect.

My only point is that (after education) joining a large group or a small group is equally groovy when it comes to diamond grade preferences.
This I totally agree with moh. After education, I seriously don''t care what anyone buys, even if they end up in a group all their own! I just wanted to point out that many come here uneducated. We don''t "push", we educate. That was my point.
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amethyste - You know, after being a member of PS for a few years, I decided to go on a quest to find a small pear in a warmer shade. I didn''t spend a lot of time, most because my goal was to see one, not actually buy one, because I didn''t have the money at that time. lol Well, guess what? I never found one. Every store that brought one out - that is to say, of the few stores that carried them - always showed me mediocre stones, SO I have no clue what a fancy pear would look like in person, unless it''s one of those sub-par ones seen at mall jewelers.

Even though I see tons of amazing stones of numerous colors and facinating cuts, such as cushions and OECs, I''ve yet to see any worn on women that have come across as stricking. I''ve never seen a flashy, blazing yellow stone in person. So, when I state my preference, it''s based on what I''ve encountered. I cannot say what my opinion of a yellow diamond would be until I see one in person that is of equal quality to the many high quality cuts here on PS.

As of now, I own diamonds graded D - G, and also have a few ungraded stones, that I''m guessing are around G/H. I do think I prefer diamonds around G/H to my colorless D/E stones mostly because I like the slight hint of warmth rather than the cold icey look. I wouldn''t want to go much lower than a K, but that is just me and should never take away others'' enjoyment of their own stones, say they choose to go with a fancy yellow.

Don''t take this the wrong way, but I wonder if you''re a bit oversensitive of how others perceive your ring. That one guy asked if you bought it from another store that was located near his jewelry store and that insulted you. Please let go of that and enjoy your ring.

Now, on to more fun stuff. Have you decided what to do about your setting? You had previously mentioned resetting it. Is that still your plan?

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry.
My bad.

Push was a poor word choice, especially for you.
You are always quite gracious and respectful.

Diction is so important in a this written format.
28.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

Ellen- I totally agree with you. Yourself, Lorelei, Storm and a few others never, EVER push a color or clarity. You guys do not push what you prefer. Hell, I don''t even know what you guys prefer and you''re some of the olderst posters on here. (not old as in age!)

I think the reason some might get offended is that on PS, lower color stones get much love
9.gif
Just look im SMTR. You''ll see a ton of threads that ask to see, I,J, K''s and lower. But only one that I was able to find that said, show me your D''s.
and none that said show me your G, H''s.
7.gif

As people that buy these stone become regular posters, the trend may very well be going towards the J''s and lower. That''s ok, provided the newbies understand that when you start to venture into these grades, they will most likely at some point see a tint regardless of fluoro or cut. So either you love these color, or you don''t. There''s nothing wrong with either.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll always love colorless.
30.gif
Maybe one day I can own a D. I have an H now. In my avatar you can see the hint of yellow and it bothers me.

But it's all personal preference. All diamonds are beautiful in their own unique way IMO.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 2:15:16 PM
Author: Moh 10
Sorry.
My bad.

Push was a poor word choice, especially for you.
You are always quite gracious and respectful.

Diction is so important in a this written format.
28.gif
Thanks moh, appreciate it.
2.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Most newbies -- including myself -- come to PS full of notions about cut (marketed as shape!), color, and clarity that they''ve been fed by DeBeers'' and other large companies'' marketing campaigns.

I appreciate the work Lorelei, Ellen, and Storm, among others, do to educate newbies to find out the reasons behind the typical newbie statement along the lines of, "I am looking at an F VVS2 .60 diamond," i.,e., are there cultural preferences for color and clarity, personal preferences (color sensitivity), carat size preferences, etc., before they suggest to the newbie that he or she go down in clarity or color and up in size.

Many newbies simply don''t know there are other choices out there, especially if they''ve paid a visit to the maul stores.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So many folks just want quick answers ... they don''t want to study a subject in depth. I''m like that about, say, TVs or something. Just give me something off the shelf that *works*. Whatever. I don''t care that much about it. I''m not into the details or superior resolution or whatever. It plays my shows. That''s it.

SOME diamond shoppers seem to be like that. "Oh, D IF is the best? I''ll take that" ... they just care about what is objectively determined as "best" in the vaguest possible terms. When those shoppers show up here folks TRY to suss out whether they''re interested in more education ... taking time to develop personal preferences ... willingness to consider more complicated info/tradeoffs etc.

As long as we''re not overrun with clarity bullies or color bullies I think things are fine. (Though I too dislike the term "overkill" -- especially with step cuts).

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 2:48:51 PM
Author: sarap333
Most newbies -- including myself -- come to PS full of notions about cut (marketed as shape!), color, and clarity that they''ve been fed by DeBeers'' and other large companies'' marketing campaigns.

I appreciate the work Lorelei, Ellen, and Storm, among others, do to educate newbies to find out the reasons behind the typical newbie statement along the lines of, ''I am looking at an F VVS2 .60 diamond,'' i.,e., are there cultural preferences for color and clarity, personal preferences (color sensitivity), carat size preferences, etc., before they suggest to the newbie that he or she go down in clarity or color and up in size.

Many newbies simply don''t know there are other choices out there, especially if they''ve paid a visit to the maul stores.

you have pretty much summed up what i have been trying to say!
36.gif
My way was pretty clumsy...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 2:13:47 PM
Author: MC
Amethyste - You know, after being a member of PS for a few years, I decided to go on a quest to find a small pear in a warmer shade. I didn't spend a lot of time, most because my goal was to see one, not actually buy one, because I didn't have the money at that time. lol Well, guess what? I never found one. Every store that brought one out - that is to say, of the few stores that carried them - always showed me mediocre stones, SO I have no clue what a fancy pear would look like in person, unless it's one of those sub-par ones seen at mall jewelers.

See that is another thing I was trying to say... There are just not that many stones that are offered in the lower color spectrum, as if they were "bad apples", either in BM or online vendors, you have to look for a long time. Since the general population ( not Ps people overall ) have the notion that colorless is the way to go. Maybe they have no clue that there are warmer diamonds out there and are just as lovely as a colorless one. The media very much so govern the "wants" of the population in my opinion

Even though I see tons of amazing stones of numerous colors and facinating cuts, such as cushions and OECs, I've yet to see any worn on women that have come across as stricking. I've never seen a flashy, blazing yellow stone in person. So, when I state my preference, it's based on what I've encountered. I cannot say what my opinion of a yellow diamond would be until I see one in person that is of equal quality to the many high quality cuts here on PS.

As of now, I own diamonds graded D - G, and also have a few ungraded stones, that I'm guessing are around G/H. I do think I prefer diamonds around G/H to my colorless D/E stones mostly because I like the slight hint of warmth rather than the cold icey look. I wouldn't want to go much lower than a K, but that is just me and should never take away others' enjoyment of their own stones, say they choose to go with a fancy yellow.

I never meant to take away the enjoyment of the people to wear their colorless stones. As I said before, I enjoy them on other people, just to me, like you, my personnal preference tends to be in the warm tints.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder if you're a bit oversensitive of how others perceive your ring. That one guy asked if you bought it from another store that was located near his jewelry store and that insulted you. Please let go of that and enjoy your ring.

I am not really oversensitive on how people perceive my ring, I was at first cause I didn't know how to handle it quite honestly... I was just offended that this sale person in a jewelry store that "should know better" would blantly say something like that. Maybe I was having one of 'them' days... Most people think its a topaz, and its fine too, i try to not let it bother me cause even if they commented on it, regardless of what they think it is, is still a compliment. I am enjoying my ring very much and I am always happy to let people look at it, and ask questions about it etc...

Now, on to more fun stuff. Have you decided what to do about your setting? You had previously mentioned resetting it. Is that still your plan?

For the time being, I think I'll leave my stone in its current setting. I am not sure exactly what I want to do yet, so instead of making a hasty decision, i'd rather just wait :) I know i'll reset it eventually, but there is no hurry :)
Thank you for your kindness, I appreciate your observations and discussions :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste, you seem like such a kind soul with not a malicious bone in your body. I read your thread and knew where you were going with it -- glad I could help clarify.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 2:16:10 PM
Author: elle_chris

Ellen- I totally agree with you. Yourself, Lorelei, Storm and a few others never, EVER push a color or clarity. You guys do not push what you prefer. Hell, I don''t even know what you guys prefer and you''re some of the olderst posters on here. (not old as in age!)

I think the reason some might get offended is that on PS, lower color stones get much love
9.gif
Just look im SMTR. You''ll see a ton of threads that ask to see, I,J, K''s and lower. But only one that I was able to find that said, show me your D''s.

7.gif

As people that buy these stone become regular posters, the trend may very well be going towards the J''s and lower. That''s ok, provided the newbies understand that when you start to venture into these grades, they will most likely at some point see a tint regardless of fluoro or cut. So either you love these color, or you don''t. There''s nothing wrong with either.

Great post, elle!! I''m going over to SMTR and start a show me your G and H stones, because it''s a great excuse to see more ring/hand shots of the full range of lovely PS stones!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
one local jeweler and I use the term loosely kept a horrific cut gia graded H that was always very very dirty that he would use as an example of why you would want to buy a "higher color" IGI graded diamond by putting it next to it.
Of course the IGI stone would be sparkling clean and sometimes better cut.
Just to mess with him one day when I went in there with friends(they insisted) I told him I wanted the H, he got a horrified look on his face and I cracked up.
He went under early this year owing tons of money to everyone after running a 90%(HA)off sale for 3 months.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I will say that I could never understand someone wanting a yellow diamond. To me, colored diamonds looked like gemstones(which you could find much cheaper). Most people know that diamonds are clear, not colored. I even said to my husband "why would someone want a pee colored diamond?" LOL. Buuuut, after belonging to Pricescope I realize they''re gorgeous! A warm colored diamond, a yellow diamond, especially in a halo is bea-u-tiful!!!

It just goes to show you, sometimes peoples opinions can change, especially if they become more educated about a subject. I can guarantee if I had a yellow diamond, it would remind me of sunshine now, not pee ;0) and with saying that I can also guarantee that everyone I know would assume it''s a gemstone and NOT a diamond.

I do have my heart set on a pink diamond band though. Who cares what anyone else thinks really? As long as you love your stuff, that''s allllll that matters.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
As long as they are well cut (and *sparkle!*) -- I love ''em all.
30.gif

(Of course the bigger the better, but that''s just me!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I find that my color preference depends on how much of a tan I have.

Right now, my L color EC looks AMAZING against my tan skin - better than any other stone. I can say the same about a nice, rich yellow.

When I do not have a tan, a more colorless stone looks better on me.

Go figure . . .

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone here distinguish being warm from being yellow? If there isn''t a distinction, wouldn''t the vendors be dubbing diamonds below a certain colour as fancies? It would be in their financial interest.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I understand where you are coming from. I love all diamonds, icy white and buttery warm. Some people do think of it as a "status" thing, where the higher the color, the "better" the diamond. I just think it is a personal preference, but people who think it''s a status thing- they just don''t know enough about diamonds.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 1:58:54 PM
Author: ecf8503
My e-ring upgrade is a D color SI1 ideal H&A with strong blue fluoresence - exactly what I wanted. I like the icy whiteness of it, and the fluor kicks in a lot, even in lighting you don''t expect it to, giving it a ''glow'' like nothing else. I love it. I love seeing ''nothing''... no color... no tint... just coolness.

That said, I also own my gr-grandmother''s transitional cut in platinum, and it is a lovely old lace color - it is tinted, but I love it for what it is - it suits the style of the cut and I wouldn''t change it a bit!

Cut is key, color is a personal preference. Whether you are ''sacrificing'' color for size for example is a matter of perspective and opinion, not a concrete law. I think we are very fortunate here on PS to be able to appreciate these aspects and love the diamonds for what they are, not degrading them for what color they were born to be.
It must be gorgeous. Congratulations!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, the "yellow" in my M (faint yellow is the AGS color grade, I believe) is more of a cream in most lights. In many lighting conditions, my M has a golden tint -- I love this.

There is a definite pale "pee yellow," as makemepretty mentioned, a/k/a pale sunshine color from the side and bottom of the stone.

The interesting thing about my M (and I suspect other mid-range colors, like L, M, N, O, P) is that is changes color constantly. This is what I love, but it may drive other people nuts.

I have wondered if the super-low pee/sunshine colors (like Glittera's S and Amethyste's lemony pear) change color as much as the mid-range tinted stones.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi sarap,
The golden tint must be lovely. However, my question has to do with "fancies," not "faints."

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 5:31:10 PM
Author: Harriet
Does anyone here distinguish being warm from being yellow? If there isn''t a distinction, wouldn''t the vendors be dubbing diamonds below a certain colour as fancies? It would be in their financial interest.
I start to distinguish when the stones color is intense. Like a strong yellow or pink in every type of lighting. A very vivid color that you can''t mistake for anything other than what it is.

I don''t think the vendors can label them fancy if the report doesn''t state the stone is. Unless we''re talking about vendors with no ethics, that like to play up a lower color by surrounding it with metals that enhance it. Now, i actually agree with doing this to bring out the color, but I still don''t believe they should call it fancy anything unless it comes with a reputable lab report showing it is.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 2:16:10 PM

9.gif
7.gif

Hey elle, I missed this earlier.

Thank you for the kind words. And, you made a very good observation there.
2.gif

GoSharks

Rough_Rock
Considering how much the littlest details are considered crucial to most in regards to visible inclusions, even if small, or the cut, it would be strange to assume that all people should be okay with slight but visible amounts of color.

Considering we could all be shopping for some fake stone and save 95%, we obviously are choosing to pay for the best, to go for what we consider to be the real deal in stones.

Personally, I''ve been lurking a while, and the discussion of how colored I/J''s are has been of great help to me. I''ve been lurking for a good year or so as I will be shopping for my girl''s engagement ring over the next 6 months. Taking her once to Tiffany''s, I asked her about color, and they put a colorless stone and a H next to each other. They were both set in white gold or platinum, and she couldn''t even tell which was which when shown them side by side! So I now know color sensitivity isn''t a problem for her, and thus for me (I could tell the difference). I will probably end up with an I/J, and thanks to PS and learning about different cuts will probably be going for a GOG OMC, and will definitely be checking out the new OEC''s when they come in too (I''ve got till early 2010 to get this done).

So I''m glad for all the discussion of how I/J''s can be colorless or close face up, combined with my girlfriends bad eyes for color. I can now get her the size she really wants (she''s put on 1 and 1.25 RB''s and said they are fine, but I could tell from her face how much she liked sporting the size of a 1.5 when she tried it on her finger).

That said, since the little details of each stone are what makes one stone "mind clean" and another not, I think these issues are just personal preference.

Most people, and I seem to fall into this category too, are looking for the biggest rock that looks perfect upon inspection. But what that means changes by the person. For me that means an H-K VS1-SI2 stone that is eye clean to people that will examine my girlfriends ring. To others its a F VVS2 that will always be white and never show an inclusion, even to them after years on their finger and some serious examination.

If anything, I would say the people concerned about "status" the most might be people like me, the people looking for that great I/J SI1 stone. We want the most expensive looking ring for the cheapest price. Clearly thats a choice to get the most "bling for the buck", when it come to showing the ring off. I have no problem admitting that, that I am seeking to use my budget to make rings from Tiff''s or the mall that cost twice as much look bad, and I want my GF to have something other ladies envy.

So I guess I''m saying that I''m a near colorless diamond guy, and I''m totally about the status!
41.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Great post Go Sharks; Very honest, personal and heartfelt!
36.gif

I agree that most people are seeking the stone that will impress other people most while spending the least amount of money.

Occasionally, I'll notice someone staring at my diamond, or complimenting me on it, and think how much more impressed they would have been if I went the I/J SI route instead of the E/F VVS route.
It cost much more than it looks like it costs, and 99.99% of people looking at it can't even tell.
But I can.
They can't tell it's real either.
But I can.

Like you I got educated at PS but I selected the E/F VVS grade for my own private pleasure.
Some, perhaps more, people put priority on maximizing how others feel about their diamond.

Public vs. personal appreciation . . . I think it's wonderful how different people are.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 5:55:06 PM

Date: 8/16/2009 5:31:10 PM
Author: Harriet
I start to distinguish when the stones color is intense. Like a strong yellow or pink in every type of lighting. A very vivid color that you can''t mistake for anything other than what it is.

I don''t think the vendors can label them fancy if the report doesn''t state the stone is. Unless we''re talking about vendors with no ethics, that like to play up a lower color by surrounding it with metals that enhance it. Now, i actually agree with doing this to bring out the color, but I still don''t believe they should call it fancy anything unless it comes with a reputable lab report showing it is.
Thanks, Elle. I''m in full agreement with you.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I have a D and a G colour diamonds. I would like a diamond for each colour for my collection
9.gif

Having high colour and clarity in my e-ring stone is probably influenced by my culture. But for RHRs, i would love any colour
30.gif
esp pinks and yellows

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is owning a colorless diamond (like a D color) a "status" thing for people?

I imagine people tend to regard a variety of different things to be status symbols--cars, diamonds, homes, etc.

The thing to remember is that what others regard as status symbols only becomes important if you care about appearing to have a particular status in the eyes of others.

If you enjoy something, what does it matter if other people don''t see the same thing you see in it? It only matters if you care that others enjoy it, too. Personally, I wouldn''t care if the rest of the world couldn''t see the beauty in my engagement ring, my husband, home, etc. I see it, and that''s all that matters.

As far as D color diamonds being status symbols, specifically, I can''t imagine that a lot of people go around asking about the color of other people''s diamonds, or telling people that they own a D color diamond. I''ve worn my engagement ring for a little over two years and not one person has asked me the color of my stone, nor has anyone ever told me the color of their stone.

And really, outside of the PS world, most people barely even notice the diamonds that others wear, and if they do, their reaction does not extend far beyond "that''s a pretty diamond" or "that''s a big ring." As someone who takes a lot of pride in her diamond and the creativity that went into the setting, that may be disappointing to you, but it''s the reality for people who aren''t diamond fanatics like us PSers.

But that''s why we love PS, isn''t it? We come here to find people who share our appreciation for diamonds and jewelry design, and who know that there are limitless possibilities for finding beauty in different types of stones and settings. And that diamonds are far more than status symbols, they are things of beauty.

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 9:49:13 PM
Author:Amethyste

This post is not directed to anyone in particular nor I am writing this to upset anyone either...

Just somewhat venting out perhaps?

Is owning a colorless diamond (like a D color) a ''status'' thing for people?

I mean, I like colorless diamonds but to me... they are MEH ( on me ) I love to admire them on other people though.

Years ago I discovered the ''lower'' end of the spectrum of the color grading scale and a new world sorta opened itself to me that I never knew I''''d find fascinating... I LOVE yellow-warm diamonds. I just do. Their color flashes dance is just mezmerizing in my eyes and they have a personnality that I have not been able to find in other stones...

I think sporting a warm colored diamond in a white setting is all about personnality, just like a haircut.

To me, there is no right or wrong. I think a Z colored diamond would look aweomse in a rose gold setting. I think that a J-K-L looks great in a white setting, either with yellow diamonds in a halo (a la DiaDiva ) or even with pink diamonds! There is no boundaries and the sky is the limit! It''''s all about creativity here and how we can put in real our own preferences... Diamonds, colored stones, gold colors etc can give us such a beautiful canvas to open creativity... I just love to see what people do with that canvas... I guess I love PS and all of the beautiful people on here and the wonderful eye candy that is shared...

Hmmm... After reading my post, I guess it doesn''''t really have a point lol. Just thinking aloud... :)

Well I like your thought process. I love the idea of a warmer color against my dark complexion.

I do agree that in some aspects the higher colors are sometimes marketed to be a "better quality"... I don''t always agree...... In the case of my husband however; I respect where he was coming from when he bought my stone. In his mind, however influenced by marketing, it was the best he could get me... Then again, he''s never seen all of the loverly warmer pretties that I have seen here on PS.

I would love to own a very warm, even yellow stone one day, and I can''t wait to see how it would look against my mocha skin
36.gif

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Before coming here I was under the impression that yellow was some terrible thing. After learning so much I still want a stone that doesn''t face up with any yellow for my engagement ring but it is now a personal decision not just because we''ve been told white = quality.

I avoid yellow clothes, yellow metal, etc because it doesn''t go well with my skin tone so for that reason I wish to have a white stone. Having seen some of the amazing things on these forums though I wish it would it looked nicer on my pasty skin, a good way to save some $$ too.

Having an engagement ring in the first place is somewhat of a status thing, as is size, cut quality, etc. Finding something that I love is most important though :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results