shape
carat
color
clarity

YAY! I'm officially shopping for an OEC.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh, totally pass then. If anything went wrong and you had to return, you'd be so effed. Too bad, it might be a lovely stone, but... if you're a jack@ss, nobody will want to pay you a dime!

ETA: can you post pics of the 1.48 N? That sounds attractive at the price!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1317082587|3026352 said:
Oh, totally pass then. If anything went wrong and you had to return, you'd be so effed. Too bad, it might be a lovely stone, but... if you're a jack@ss, nobody will want to pay you a dime!

ETA: can you post pics of the 1.48 N? That sounds attractive at the price!

Yeah. That's kinda what I'm thinking.

The 1.48 is a bit of a faceting um... dog. It's got 64 depth. And it's not symmetric at all. But the culet is centered and it has both a high crown and a very nice small table at 49 (with that depth it's got plenty of room for a recut) . So it would be an automatic recut candidate for me . Which is why I haven't bought it. I did ask the seller if they would come off the price of 3500 if they would, I might just buy that one. It's an EGL VS stone. So that makes me happy. And if it gets recut well, it actually might lighten the stone a little.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Patterning doesn't look absolutely top, top notch but the pic also looks like it's kind of unflattering. Nice high crown, small table, EGL cert, reasonably round. I'd be tempted at the price if I were in the market. Awesomely non-thin girdle, you could totally prong set that unlike most OECs. With a medium-sl thick bruted girdle like that, I'd bet it'd improve performance to polish it, too. Nice generous return policy- 30 days. It's a bit deep but not outrageously, still got a decent face up size.
ETA: the more I look at the decent face-on pic, the more I think it's just a cruddy pic and the patterning is quite nice actually- good snowflake arrowhead shapes lining up, and some Kozibe visible face on.

ETA again, just found it myself haha. took the link out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1317083722|3026372 said:
Patterning doesn't look absolutely top, top notch but the pic also looks like it's kind of unflattering. Nice high crown, small table, EGL cert, reasonably round. I'd be tempted at the price if I were in the market. Awesomely non-thin girdle, you could totally prong set that unlike most OECs. With a medium-sl thick bruted girdle like that, I'd bet it'd improve performance to polish it, too. Nice generous return policy- 30 days. It's a bit deep but not outrageously, still got a decent face up size.

ROFLMAO. So much for me being stealthy. It's my 1.48 in disguise. I agree. It needs a recut and is deep but has a lot of promise. I've asked the seller if they will consider a lower price as I'd have to recut it. THANK YOU honey.

If he comes in lower. I think I might do it and get it recut. Since it's a patterning issue mostly I'd send to Ari.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
:lol: :lol: OK, we totally agree on this one! I think it's the best candidate so far, and I think a lot of the dogginess is some weird camera obstruction reflecting strangely. It might have some table darkness at 64%, but total recut candidate IMO, especially with that nice big girdle. Good price for sure. Might be a bit more tinted than an N- can't tell myself if it's an EGL USA or not- but really, much below N color anyway, price doesn't change much. I'd say it's a very good candidate, especially for a planned girdle polishing and possible recut.

ETA, yet again, because I just cannot help myself :rolleyes:: I think the clarity might improve a lot judging by the plot- I think some of the major "inclusions" are chips or naturals. Shouldn't be major ones if it's got a VS2 as it is, but you might have a much higher clarity when you're done fixing it up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1317084144|3026383 said:
:lol: :lol: OK, we totally agree on this one! I think it's the best candidate so far, and I think a lot of the dogginess is some weird camera obstruction reflecting strangely. It might have some table darkness at 64%, but total recut candidate IMO, especially with that nice big girdle. Good price for sure. Might be a bit more tinted than an N- can't tell myself if it's an EGL USA or not- but really, much below N color anyway, price doesn't change much. I'd say it's a very good candidate, especially for a planned girdle polishing and possible recut.

I agree 100%. If he comes out with a lower price, it will be even better IMO. But yeah, it's one of my top candidates. I'd send it in for re-certification too if the clarity improves.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK, got the links, go ahead and take them out ::) I'll go check em out now!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Okay. The second one, the larger one with baguettes, the chip is on the table, and is a big'un, which could be a huge PITA to fix. So I'd say pass though, if it *wasn't* chipped in such a way, it'd be a good price and the stone looks promising.

The first one looks better- less damage- but there's something about the pics that makes me wonder if it's a somewhat shallow stone facing up big? It has a weird lack of contrast. Could, of course, be lousy pics causing that, but... I dunno. It is a bit higher in price and you'd get less diamond than the loose, 1.48 candidate. Of the two, the 1.48 one would be my pick still. Still, that one (the 1ish ct one) isn't a bad possibility, it just seems a smidge on the high-price side and I'd want better pics. No glaring obvious issues however, so that's good! It has a nice high crown and small table, though the tilted (and possibly slightly washed out) head on pics don't show the patterning well, unfortunately.

I'll keep poking around and see if anything else pops out at me. But, I do suspect you've combed ebay pretty thoroughly already, since obviously we're on the same wavelength! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so you confirmed my thoughts on the bigger one. At first I thought CANDIDATE. Then I thought PASS. And then I thought SECOND OPINION. So having that now, I'll pass with a light heart.

Yeah, the 1.1 looks like a strong possibility. The seller is nice, but very slow to get additional pics. I'd pretty much only do this one if it looks perfect, kwim, in the newer pics (if they are ever posted). Mostly because I really appreciate the setting and would re-use the melee even if I re-set it later on. I was worried about the depth too. But again... this one is more a 'total package' issue. Plus, I'd offer 2,500 for it and see what they say.

The 1.48 is still my finger's crossed forerunner admittedly. Especially if the seller is willing to go lower on the price. I'd ship it directly to Singlestone and then wait happily for a beauty to arrive from them in a few weeks.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'd definitely keep that smaller one as a backup possibility, especially if they do come through with more helpful pics. The setting is a nice, classic one for sure and that doesn't suck one bit ;)). It is a huge pro to not have to race right out and start wading through setting possibilities- I know you and I tend to be able to ponder those for years if we get going! (Plus, it is way frustrating when setting costs start approaching the price of a nice size diamond...)

I hope the 1.48 gets the price dropped a smidge- even a bit would be great. It's a very nice size stone, and especially with a bit of TLC from Ari, I bet it'll be a knockout.

Also, for any lurkers or others on this thread (especially since buying old cuts on ebay has gotten WAY more popular around here!)- what Gypsy's doing, asking for more pics and engaging the seller in conversation, is an excellent way to weed out people you do NOT want to do business with. If they're rude when you ask a reasonable question, then you *know* they are going to be impossible if you need to return. I always, always pester sellers for additional pics of things even if I don't really need them, for exactly that reason.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Wahhh, I'm so bummed I missed all the links! I think I might know some of the ones you're talking about, but not sure.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. Not sure but if I did I hope no one finds it. Can you edit the clue out, hon? LOL. Sorry about the links. I am keeping it close until I get A) an answer on price on the 1.48 and B) extra pics on the 1.1 (if I ever get them...lol) and even then I'm only going to best offer at 2500 and see what they say.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1317079067|3026295 said:
ForteKitty|1317078350|3026282 said:
the 1ct, right? it looks way more tinted than an "I".

I know I saw the face down and was like WHOA. That's not saying "I" to me. Not GIA "I"

The whole photo looks dark to me and on my screen, it looks like a J/K to me, not overly yellow. I am not seeing M. But screens/moniotrs vary so much!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1317086683|3026451 said:
Um. Not sure but if I did I hope no one finds it. Can you edit the clue out, hon? LOL. Sorry about the links. I am keeping it close until I get A) an answer on price on the 1.48 and B) extra pics on the 1.1 (if I ever get them...lol) and even then I'm only going to best offer at 2500 and see what they say.

Yup, done. Well, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think it has potential. The faceting could be nice. Don't know the 1.1 you're referring to, but can't wait to see what you get!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OKAY... SO for anyone who IS interested in this stone (as I've decided to pass at this time)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-00-carat-VS2-Old-European-cut-diamond-/180724632727?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item2a14070c97#ht_530wt_942

Here's a funny. The stone is listed for 2,700 BUY IT NOW. But he just emailed me saying that he'd accept a best offer at 3,000.

:rolleyes:

Um. Yeah. Beware this seller. He says he'll honor the return policy. Of course it's only 3 day.

He "SWEARS" it's no warmer than J.

If you want it best offer with a 7 day no questions asked return policy and HE PAYS ALL RETURN SHIPPING. Since he clearly doesn't understand that the best offer feature means that people will want to pay LESS than the buy it now price.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1317087157|3026462 said:
Gypsy|1317086683|3026451 said:

Yup, done. Well, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think it has potential. The faceting could be nice. Don't know the 1.1 you're referring to, but can't wait to see what you get!

I promise I will post mega pics of anything I buy! Thank you for the edit honey.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh.. LGK, you still here hon? If so let me know.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I put down the kitten and I'm back!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
yes, the 1.48 (if it's the one I think it is)!!! I agree I think it may actually have pretty faceting and the pics just aren't great...if I had a bling budget right now I would buy it in a heartbeat...plus the setting definitely has some value and is great for the time being. I think it may end up being a pretty stone as is, and of course would be SMASHING after Ari finished with it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle can you post which one you think it is, cause I think we're talking about different stones so I'd like to see what you've found hon!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Got the link, will go look now!

Okay, I'd say YUM. That stone is a knockout, I love the elongated culet. Nice yummy high crown. Looks like it's got lovely patterning with no darkness, and will have a sort of maltese cross pattern. It is so flippin' hard to judge color when set in YG, I would wonder if the J/K estimate is right or not- but IMO it could actually be off in *our* favor due to the YG- like, it's actually whiter. But, it's a large-ish stone with prongs, so it might not make much difference, really... anyway, yeah. TDF. But, yeah, expensive as that seller unfortunately *always* seems to be. Some of her stuff she's had for millenia as far as I can tell! Though, maybe the prices are catching up to reality if she hasn't raised them :naughty: ? I haven't looked through her listings much in the last year or so, I must admit. (One of the other things that annoys me about her listings is she has tons of modern repro settings, that she doesn't specify that about, and lets readers assume they're old. Totally one of my pet peeves!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My problem with the antique oval is that there are 2 stones at JA that are obviously NOT antiques but at GIA J VS2... they are listed for 2,600 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Premium-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1316390.asp The price for that one is just ... insane. I did send her an email earlier, with a link to both JA stones, and offered her (not official as it is in the email) 2,600 for the center stone, unset. We'll see what she says. But knowing her and her inflated prices I'd say it's a NO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I KNOW. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

That oval culet just flat out kills me. GORGEOUS. But I don't want to overpay... a little overpaying, great if it's exactly what I want. THAT MUCH overpaying... um, no.

I do wish someone with sane prices was selling it.

And yeah, the yellow gold could result in a nice return.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1317089508|3026496 said:

That oval culet just flat out kills me. GORGEOUS. But I don't want to overpay... a little overpaying, great. THAT MUCH overpaying... um, no.

I know right? God it's a beauty, and a rarity at that- really oval and not cushion antique cuts (like yennyfire's ah-maaaazing find) are so hard to find. And this looks like a flat-out top notch one. OMG I didn't realize it was *that* overpriced! Whoooooa. :-o She's totally dreaming! If she'd drop the price by half, even, that'd be a lot more sane! But, unfortunately, I doubt it too :rodent:

(I too am curious about the ring bella's talking about!)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LGK|1317089754|3026498 said:
Gypsy|1317089508|3026496 said:

That oval culet just flat out kills me. GORGEOUS. But I don't want to overpay... a little overpaying, great. THAT MUCH overpaying... um, no.

I know right? God it's a beauty, and a rarity at that- really oval and not cushion antique cuts (like yennyfire's ah-maaaazing find) are so hard to find. And this looks like a flat-out top notch one. OMG I didn't realize it was *that* overpriced! Whoooooa. :-o She's totally dreaming! If she'd drop the price by half, even, that'd be a lot more sane! But, unfortunately, I doubt it too :rodent:

(I too am curious about the ring bella's talking about!)

I find it blackly hilarious that I immediately knew which dealer you were talking about ... and, yeah, that oval is TDF.

Speaking of odd shapes and dealers who might bargain, though ... have you seen this in your hunting? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300593823065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 Dealer's a bit hit-or-miss, but he does honor his return policy, and I feel like he'd entertain reasonable offers more than the aforementioned ....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1317091538|3026530 said:
I find it blackly hilarious that I immediately knew which dealer you were talking about ... and, yeah, that oval is TDF.

Speaking of odd shapes and dealers who might bargain, though ... have you seen this in your hunting? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300593823065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 Dealer's a bit hit-or-miss, but he does honor his return policy, and I feel like he'd entertain reasonable offers more than the aforementioned ....

I'm not surprised you guessed who it was hon. There are three of them that I find myself drooling over the pictures of but then being knocked out by their pricing. NUTZ!

I like that one. I would guess from the pics that it's an MN color, but monitors can be wonky and all that.

I really adore the setting and feel it's perfect for the ring. I'd be concerned about clarity. And I wish he'd posted the certificate so I could get a look at the measurements and the stats.

You said he'd deal but my budget is 4K. So... wondering. Still... I've put it on my "I'll sleep on it" list. And we'll go from there.

I think it's really lovely as long as it's eyeclean.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Yup, I knew who it was, too! And I agree that the oval is very pretty. I have a really hard time assessing prices for old cuts -- they seem to be all over the place and kind of random.

I'm also quite sure I know which loose stone you're considering and think it could be quite pretty. I considered it as well.

I like the ring Circe posted. Are you open to non-OEC old cuts?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I've now got three front runners.

A 7.1mm N colored VS stone that needs either a complete pavillion recut or possibly a full recut period. But that's doable... especially if they will lower the price slightly.

A 6.7 L/M colored stone at VS clarity I am waiting for better pics on that I can buy for 3150. I like the seller very much and feel very comfortable with this sale, if I do it. I've asked the seller to tell me about the girdle and any chips or polishing it might need addressed.

A 6.3 mm stone in a setting I like that I am also waiting for pictures on. This one is the greatest risk, and the smallest diamond. I would best offer for this one at $2,500 and I would take one of the others instead because of the high risk factor if I didn't get this price.

I also have the ability to buy a cute repro setting I enjoy (here it is: ) for $650 so if I get one of the unset stones I might spring for this to put it in after any TLC has been taken care of. The seller makes the settings so... as long as the stone will fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/120514601768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

LGK how about this same setting for your brown AVC?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Non-OEC... well, yes-ISH. :bigsmile: It would have to be a knock out, to be frank. But yes. I would. It would have to either have a great carat weight or very spready (but still well cut) and have excellent symmetry -- not just the facets but the outline as well. Nothing can bug me quite as much as a cushiony shape that is slightly wonky and has a wonky girdle to boot. If it's a cushion I'm likely to be impossible to please.

On the other hand, I do like yellow-- like light fancy yellow stones so I would also be willing to drop down to PQRST with alacrity for the right stone.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
I have always had a good feeling about the 6.7 mm L/M stone (assuming I'm thinking of the right one). I agree that you have no reason to be concerned with this seller -- she will definitely honor the return policy. I would be very interested to see additional pics of the stone if you feel comfortable posting them.

I'd be less inclined to try out the 6.3 mm stone (not having seen it) since it's smaller and you say more of a risk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results