shape
carat
color
clarity

Yaaay we're engaged!!! Eeeeek!!! I don't like my diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I realized yesterday that I will see my family for Thanksgiving on Thursday and my mother would disown me if she knew I sent back the ring Jordan bought :-o:-o:-o so it was either lie to my mother (never a good option!!) or get a ring on my finger before Thursday so she thinks it's the same ring she witnessed him propose to me with on the beach in September!! She would not understand. She's extremely frugal and even though she and my dad are self-made millionaires, she still rocks the quarter carat ring my dad originally gave her in the seventies. Never had the desire to upgrade it. She would think she had raised an absolute brat. There would be too many questions. It's just better for everyone to keep this between he and I.

This, coupled with a bad case of analysis paralysis, led me to take the recommendations I've had on here to call ID Jewelry in New York. The woman there took away all the bombardment of choices I've gotten online (between searching myself mostly and then getting too caught up trying to compare details on here that people bring up that I'm completely uninformed on) and instead sent me two options. I bought one of the two :D:D. I think that's what I needed. NO MORE CHOICES :D They're setting it tomorrow in the same simple cathedral look I shipping it overnight to arrive Wednesday, and I will have it on my finger just in time for the Thanksgiving family gathering.

, I'm afraid to post the specs on here to be torn apart lol since you all are such experts!! My only concern is that the diamond I chose was right on the 1.00 mark. (I would think slightly smaller might be a slightly better deal than right on the mark). The diamond I got was GIA certified (the first ring we had was not). It's an SI2 (the woman says it is eye-clean though), it's an I (the first was a J), 1.00 carat (the first was 1.07). The cut is Ideal (the first was Good). No fluorescence (I can't tell the difference between those with and without this marker). And of course we significantly upped the budget to accommodate these upgrades, but still came in under 5K (4500 including $500 setting).

Fingers crossed until I see it with my own eyes. Wish me luck!!! And thank you all so much for all the advice!!!

This is great news! I'm happy for you! Even though it might not be "super-ideal", it's from a trusted vendor who knows what they are doing. I trust that they found you something excellent for your budget and desired specs. I'm curious to see the specs, but get if you don't want to :)

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Let me wait until I get it and make sure I like it and then I'll post the GIA report (or is that unsafe for some reason - should I black out the specific id number of the diamond?). As long as I see it and like it, y'all can go to town analyzing it after that!! I just don't want to second-guess myself before then and spend the next 48 hours in existential agony :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Let me wait until I get it and make sure I like it and then I'll post the GIA report (or is that unsafe for some reason - should I black out the specific id number of the diamond?). As long as I see it and like it, y'all can go to town analyzing it after that!! I just don't want to second-guess myself before then and spend the next 48 hours in existential agony :lol:

Yup, I get it! Good plan. No reason to black out the number :)

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
I got the ring and I love it!!! It kept distracting me driving today bc it’s so sparkly I kept having to remind myself to look at the road while driving and not at my hand :lol: Ahhh such a relief to be done with this, it was stressful. Unfortunately I discovered that I am not a size 5 like I thought I was when trying on the sizers in the store. I think I’ll need to get it resized to 4.5 or 4.75. It wouldn’t slip past my knuckle without me really trying to get it off but it does move around and slips to the side. Next step, I need to research the best options for insurance and whether to get renters insurance with a rider to cover it or a specific jewelry insurance policy with a company that only focuses on that. Also, why is the appraisal the jeweler sent for thousands more than we paid? Which figure do we insure?

Ok now that I know I love the ring regardless of whether it’s the most exact ideal proportions and all of that, here are some photos and the GIA report. Critique away!

Ahh my fiancé just called I have to run pick him up from work since I dropped him off today. Will post pics when I get back!!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got the ring and I love it!!! It kept distracting me driving today bc it’s so sparkly I kept having to remind myself to look at the road while driving and not at my hand :lol: Ahhh such a relief to be done with this, it was stressful. Unfortunately I discovered that I am not a size 5 like I thought I was when trying on the sizers in the store. I think I’ll need to get it resized to 4.5 or 4.75. It wouldn’t slip past my knuckle without me really trying to get it off but it does move around and slips to the side. Next step, I need to research the best options for insurance and whether to get renters insurance with a rider to cover it or a specific jewelry insurance policy with a company that only focuses on that. Also, why is the appraisal the jeweler sent for thousands more than we paid? Which figure do we insure?

Ok now that I know I love the ring regardless of whether it’s the most exact ideal proportions and all of that, here are some photos and the GIA report. Critique away!

Ahh my fiancé just called I have to run pick him up from work since I dropped him off today. Will post pics when I get back!!

Glad to hear you like it! IDJ has been known to work miracles with budgets, finding some well-cut, eye-clean SI1s and SI2s for customers. I wouldn't worry about the cut though. While it may not be absolutely perfect, IDJ usually picks stones with great proportions if you say you want a "PriceScope Quality" cut.

Regarding the sizing, you may have "large knuckle syndrome." (welcome to the club haha. I'm always jealous of my fiancé's perfectly shaped fingers). If it's already difficult to slip over your knuckle, I wouldnt recommend sizing it down any further, at least right away. You may want to look into getting sizing beads or "speedbumps" (search them on PriceScope) on the bottom of the shank. They work wonders to keep rings from spinning on those with large knuckles, as the hold the ring upright but still make it possible to slip the ring over the knuckle.

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Hard to get a good closeup! But anyways here it is!

E2468E8A-3BF3-454F-9A34-86507000A4F3.jpeg 99BE8B1F-B99D-4026-A312-9FADB5F7B768.jpeg E49B9587-990E-4659-A16D-B1D1D84263C7.jpeg 79AFE01D-0E96-4A96-B824-71B26B6571A1.jpeg D7EBFA99-C126-4B71-8E1F-AD50F0D5E4D0.jpeg C51FE284-9B79-480F-AE75-C30CEEBABCB2.jpeg 2FB7EC23-B913-402E-8A74-8874559CA6C7.jpeg

Attachments

• 37858F9E-C41E-4DA2-95C0-513F948B7B14.jpeg
    37858F9E-C41E-4DA2-95C0-513F948B7B14.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 11
  • F34B5CD6-5EB0-4623-B5BC-8857794387F7.jpeg
    F34B5CD6-5EB0-4623-B5BC-8857794387F7.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 0985E164-3540-4EF9-B195-91FE25FAB2A4.jpeg
    0985E164-3540-4EF9-B195-91FE25FAB2A4.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 10

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Glad to hear you like it! IDJ has been known to work miracles with budgets, finding some well-cut, eye-clean SI1s and SI2s for customers. I wouldn't worry about the cut though. While it may not be absolutely perfect, IDJ usually picks stones with great proportions if you say you want a "PriceScope Quality" cut.

Regarding the sizing, you may have "large knuckle syndrome." (welcome to the club haha. I'm always jealous of my fiancé's perfectly shaped fingers). If it's already difficult to slip over your knuckle, I wouldnt recommend sizing it down any further, at least right away. You may want to look into getting sizing beads or "speedbumps" (search them on PriceScope) on the bottom of the shank. They work wonders to keep rings from spinning on those with large knuckles, as the hold the ring upright but still make it possible to slip the ring over the knuckle.
Haha that’s why I was so surprised to discover I have a pretty small ring size, I have always felt like I had chunky fingers! Guess it’s just the knuckles lol.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely in your finger, so glad you got what you wanted.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"my mother would disown me if she knew I sent back the ring Jordan bought"

If she says it seems to sparkle more than it did the last time she saw it, tell her you've learned how to properly clean the ring with Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. =)2

Being hard to photograph is a good thing. Too much light flying around fools the camera.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice job! It looks beautiful on you!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and the proportions are very good and very close to what is recommended on this site so great job!
as for re-sizing, I don't know where you are located, but I'd be careful resizing now if you are in a colder climate. Your fingers may be a bit larger in the warmer months and then the ring could end up too small. Adding sizing cushions is a good suggestion and they can always be made smaller or removed.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jsummer327 your new ring is gorgeous! So happy that you got what you were looking for and just in time for the holidays! The proportions of the diamond are beautiful and it is much whiter than your original diamond. I would also advise that you leave the sizing as is until the summer and especially until you add a band. Two rings will always fit more snug.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It truly is beautiful! So glad this journey is over for you but with a very happy ending!! :appl::appl:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl:Its beautiful!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Glad it all worked out!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is so pretty! Congratulations!

junhox212

Rough_Rock
Wow! Congrats! It is beautiful!!! Did your mother say anything as she saw it this time? How about your fiance?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is beautiful! I am so glad you exchanged it!

My daughter sized her finger in the summer (which is when fingers are the largest) and it was 4.75 and that is what she told her boyfriend. Right now it is measuring 4.25 which means 4.75 will be too big. You always have to size a ring to fit when it is at its largest. So that means putting in sizing beads or using a temporary ring snuggie until you see how it fits when the weather is hot. Also, wearing a wedding band with it may make it fit better. So never resize unless you're in hot weather and try it on with a band. I just ordered her some ring snuggies to have with her for when he proposes!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757JLTY7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for insurance, insure for the amount you paid. That's the true replacement value. Submit a copy of your receipt and diamond grading certificate. You'd drastically overpay for insurance if you use an inflated value. If you paid $5k and the appraisal says $10k and you lost it, they would replace based on the specs of what you had, and they wouldn't be spending $10k.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning and suits your hand perfectly!
Congratulations!

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2: Just read the whole thread and congratulations on your new fireball! And your hubby was so understanding and accommodating as well. Another plus!!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful transformation! She sure is a sparkler and looks gorgeous on your lovely hands. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results