shape
carat
color
clarity

Yaaay we're engaged!!! Eeeeek!!! I don't like my diamond

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
We got engaged this week and are super excited about everything!! Everything except the diamond :(2 My fiance has been really busy with work all summer, as have I, and I'm afraid he rushed and didn't seem to do his full homework before purchasing. He knew I wanted a round solitaire and that's what he got. The ring is perfectly what I wanted - simple and classic, but the diamond has a black dot right in the middle that now that I've seen, I can't unsee. When we went to the ring store, I told him sparkliness was most important to me over size, color, etc,, but that went in one ear and out the other, as the diamond he bought has a "good" cut grade. (Maybe if the cut grade was higher I wouldn't see the dot for the sparkle?) We already had the conversation about exchanging it for one whose flaws are not as visible as a black dot (he bought it online without seeing...) and now he wants me to pick out the one that I want. I didn't think I was that particular beyond it being round and sparkly, but I didn't even realize diamonds could come with black dots in them (looking at the gem report, its actually a whole cluster of black dots). I kind of feel like a brat wanting to exchange it but its kind of a big flaw and is going to bother me every time I look at it. There is a full 30 day refund or exchange with the company but I'm nervous now to choose another, because all the 1 carat ideal and super ideal cut round diamonds on the site in our budget are si1 and mostly si2. Being online, I can't tell if the 10x magnified flaws in the picture will be visible to the naked eye. And I know I will only be able to make this exchange once so I need to make the right decision. Anyone willing to weigh in on which of these options looks to be the best? Any way to know among the Si2 ones which flaws are visible and non visible to the naked eye? Thanks for any help anyone can give!

I think I've narrowed it down to these choices:

https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si1-clarity-gia-certified-SKU-D16724981

https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-igi-certified-SKU-D17195835

https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-igi-certified-SKU-D16785403

Can't tell if the next one is cloudy or just a less sharp picture...

https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-igi-certified-SKU-D17429347

https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-igi-certified-SKU-D16907505

https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-igi-certified-SKU-D17376037

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are within the return period, I would strongly suggest that you return it and start over. The diamonds that you are looking at are not well cut and I would not consider most of them eye-clean.
What is the overall budget for the ring?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
100% agree with @SimoneDi . Starting over is your best choice right now, and I wouldn't choose any of the ones you posted above. If you give us your budget and preference in terms of size, we can find you something better!

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Yes we are looking to return it and start over. The only ones I put on this list are graded as ideal and super ideal cut, soo... That's as high as they go. I don't know anything about diamonds - are those grades standard industry wide or is this just this company's idea of ideal and super ideal? Is it kind of like how a black diamond run at one ski resort may labelled be a blue run at another or is ideal cut the same regardless of company you buy it from? As far as the budget, it is a bit of an awkward situation im not sure I'm willing to bring up. In the stores I was trying on 5-7,000$ rings but my fiance only spent $1800. The links I posted are I think 2500-3500. It took all I had to bring up exchanging the ring at all. I think he's right, we should throw out the first budget as being too high and stay 3500 or below (also saving for a house and vacations which are more important to us). I'm not sure I would care if I could see a flaw if it were off to the side and not black. Obviously you get what you pay for, so I'm not expecting miracles here. I realize our budget is low!

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Okay. And can you share with me whether you work for this website or for any diamond companies? I'd like to know about any vested interests

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. And can you share with me whether you work for this website or for any diamond companies? I'd like to know about any vested interests

Trade people are required to add a “Trade” badge to their profiles. The rest of us are just hobbyists and consumers, no money or kickbacks (very important PS rules).

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are mostly prosumers here. Unless you see a badge “trade” next to our names, then you are getting advice from consumers just like you. Vendors are not allowed to self-promote on PS, but simply give objective advice when applicable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes we are looking to return it and start over. The only ones I put on this list are graded as ideal and super ideal cut, soo... That's as high as they go. I don't know anything about diamonds - are those grades standard industry wide or is this just this company's idea of ideal and super ideal? Is it kind of like how a black diamond run at one ski resort may labelled be a blue run at another or is ideal cut the same regardless of company you buy it from? As far as the budget, it is a bit of an awkward situation im not sure I'm willing to bring up. In the stores I was trying on 5-7,000$ rings but my fiance only spent $1800. The links I posted are I think 2500-3500. It took all I had to bring up exchanging the ring at all. I think he's right, we should throw out the first budget as being too high and stay 3500 or below (also saving for a house and vacations which are more important to us). I'm not sure I would care if I could see a flaw if it were off to the side and not black. Obviously you get what you pay for, so I'm not expecting miracles here. I realize our budget is low!

There are some "rules" about cut that are generally considered "correct" on PS. Those include the following:
Only consider stones that are graded by GIA or AGS (no IGI or other certifications).
Only consider GIA stones that are XXX (excellent on all 3 categories of cut, symmetry, polish)

Once you've done that, stick within the following parameters within the certifications:

Table size between 54-57
Depth between 60-62.5
Crown Angle between 34-35
Pavilion Angle between 40.6 and 40.8

For GIA XXX stones that fall within the above parameters, you'll want to ask for ASET or IS images AND run through the HCA tool. You can also ignore all of the above and let us find you something :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, one more thing. Is 3500 the max for both stone + setting, or stone alone?

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Oh no.. The one he bought is cut good, symmetry good, excellent polish, reported by IGI :cry2: this is giving me anxiety. It looks perfectly symmetrical to me, so just keep in mind that I'm a total layman and just want sparkly without a major flaw ;)2 If you know this much about diamonds you will probably have a hard time finding a diamond in my price range up to your own standards! But if you are able to try to help based on what a normal consumer with no diamond knowledge will see, by all means I am open to specific diamond suggestions!! I should like to stay at a carat, so I know if the standards are raised too high in other areas, this won't be possible.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no.. The one he bought is cut good, symmetry good, excellent polish, reported by IGI :cry2: this is giving me anxiety. It looks perfectly symmetrical to me, so just keep in mind that I'm a total layman and just want sparkly without a major flaw ;)2 If you know this much about diamonds you will probably have a hard time finding a diamond in my price range up to your own standards! But if you are able to try to help based on what a normal consumer with no diamond knowledge will see, by all means I am open to specific diamond suggestions!! I should like to stay at a carat, so I know if the standards are raised too high in other areas, this won't be possible.
Can you post a link for the dismodmntoy have? Cut is the one thing you should not compromise on. A diamond doesn’t have to be “super-ideal” to be a well performing stone, but a diamond that is not cut well might appear dull and small for its weight.

ETA: Here is a nice stone at the top end of the budget: https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Well I was hoping to just switch out the diamond with the same setting and company so as not to hurt my fiance's feelings too much like I'm just trashing his entire purchase. It seemed more tactful. But if you think this Brilliance LLC company is just total carp, I think still just 3500 for the stone and setting if we need to buy elsewhere. This raises a new conversation I haven't had yet...

Reactions: AV_

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I was hoping to just switch out the diamond with the same setting and company so as not to hurt my fiance's feelings too much like I'm just trashing his entire purchase. It seemed more tactful. But if you think this Brilliance LLC company is just total carp, I think still just 3500 for the stone and setting if we need to buy elsewhere. This raises a new conversation I haven't had yet...
Can’t you return the entire ring? I am sorry, I understand that this might be a difficult conversation, but I think that you are doing the wise thing to get your investment back and obtain a much better product for the same/slightly higher price elsewhere. Your fiancé seems to be a reasonable guy, perhaps he will be totally ok with a full refund.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the engagement! Sorry the ring isn't your dream rock, but it's okay. We can help you!

First off, stay away from IGI. That lab isn't well respected so you can't trust the reported data. Stick to GIA or AGS graded stones.

In addition to whatever we toss your way, I would also suggest reaching out to ID Jewlery (IDJ) in NY. Yeuketil @ IDJ is k own to work miracles on small budgets. Tell him you want Pricescope quality and he will find you a gorgeous stone.

Any idea your color preference or tolerance? That will help us get going in the right direction.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t you return the entire ring? I am sorry, I understand that this might be a difficult conversation, but I think that you are doing the wise thing to get your investment back and obtain a better product for the same/slightly higher price. Your fiancé seems to be a reasonable guy, perhaps he will be totally ok with a full refund.

Echo this thought. Just return and start new. We can find something better.

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
I can't find a link on the website, probably since its already been sold. I can tell you its J color (I would have to see it next to a clearer diamond to even notice if its not colorless... Looks perfectly fine to me and not yellow, so I guess I can tolerate J just fine =)2) and it is 1.07 carats. I1 clarity ( which I now see up one reading is like..awful, hence the black spot), "good" cut (vs. Very good, excellent, ideal, super ideal on their site).
I just feel sick the more I look into this. I'm really going to have to have another talk with J, it was hard enough to just ask to switch out the diamonds when we send it off to be resized, but to tell him we need to completely return it, double what he spent and go to a different company... Eeeek. Not sure how to go about all that. I will look into the links and companies posted

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the same site, this is a stone that is pretty well cut and is likely to be eye-clean: https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-gia-certified-SKU-D17169161

We can look more if you have to stay with the same vendor. Also, please bear in mind that an IGI J color is likely a GIA K, which is still perfectly fine. So perhaps be open to GIA K if you really want to hit the 1ct mark, otherwise, you will have to stay at 0.9ct or so to get a well performing stone.

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
From the same site, this is a stone that is pretty well cut and is likely to be eye-clean: https://www.brilliance.com/loose-di...-make-si2-clarity-gia-certified-SKU-D17169161

We can look more if you have to stay with the same vendor. Also, please bear in mind that an IGI J color is likely a GIA K, which is still perfectly fine. So perhaps be open to GIA K if you really want to hit the 1ct mark, otherwise, you will have to stay at 0.9ct or so to get a well performing stone.

Do you think I would really notice the difference in size between .90 carats and 1.07? We've only tried on a couple rings in person so I have no idea. And since this is super ideal cut versus my "good" cut doesn't that make it appear larger?

wildcatz

Rough_Rock

This looks like a great choice to me! I totally understand you wanting to keep the ring that you were given. You know your fiance better than anyone and swapping out the diamond seems like a good way to preserve his feelings and get a diamond you love. Marriage is for a long time - I've been married 36 years and on my 3rd ring now - things happen to rings :cry2:circumstances change and husbands decide you need a bigger diamond :dance:. You are just starting out, make a decision you are both happy with even if you have to compromise a little.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would reject all these personally.

As already noted, the majority are IGI certified. You cannot trust the data on the cert as reliable, so I would only consider more reputable GIA or AGS graded stones.

The first stone you presented is actually a GIA graded stone. They call it "ideal" which annoys me to no end as I do not consider anything about a 32.5 crown, 41.8 pavilion, 58 table and 62.5 depth to be "ideal". :x2

Edited to Add:
Also, please note that while an SI2 stone may be better than your original I2 stone, you will be hard pressed to find a truly eye clean SI2 stone. They do exist, but they aren't common. You will have much better luck if you can find something in an SI1 clarity or better.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 19
  • upload_2018-10-2_15-22-49.png
    upload_2018-10-2_15-22-49.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 14

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
Looks like in our price range, ill be better off sticking close to the .90 carat range to avoid some of the things everyone has mentioned. Ugh I just want to get this exchange over with, get the ring on my finger, and enjoy being engaged to my best friend :dance: thanks for all the help!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think I would really notice the difference in size between .90 carats and 1.07? We've only tried on a couple rings in person so I have no idea. And since this is super ideal cut versus my "good" cut doesn't that make it appear larger?

A well cut diamond always appears larger because it reflects more light that is observable by our eyes. I think that you will see a nice color and clarity upgrade in addition to the performance upgrade! Also, we don’t know much about your stone. A “good” cut is very likely to be deep and have a smaller for its weight diameter.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like this stone for the fact it stays in a color you seem agreeable to. It gives you a very nice clarity bump to VS2 (should be eye clean). Love the small 55 table. Without getting techy, a smaller table will produce more fire.

The 34 crown and 40.6 pavilion fall into the ideal proportion range, but typically we like to pair a shallower 34 crown with a higher pavilion (around 40.8 to 40.9) if possible. Depending on actual values (as opposed to rounded/averaged values reported) this stone could fall between excellent & ideal as evidenced below.

While not exactly a perfect ideal cut, it offers lots of bang for the buck.

Capture0.PNG

I like this stone less than the BN noted above. Good qualities is it's GIA certified and H in color. Also, it has that smaller 55 table.

Unfortunately, while better than your I1 stone, it's still an SI2 which has me concerned about it being truly eye clean or not. Also, the crown on this stone is even more shallow at 33; however, the pavilion is a little steeper at 40.8.

Capture.PNG

Can you tell a difference below? Most people can start to see a very minor difference around 0.20mm in size. Because the proportions of the stone alter the depth, which affects the total carat weight I would be more inclined to shop by the dimensions of the stone as opposed to the carat weight.

Also, I might note that you will pay a premium to go over the magic weight of 1 carat, while you will probably not get a discernible "OMG, it's so much bigger" size increase. A 0.20mm does not qualify as such -- at least to me. I think for that small size difference, you will are more likely to see a better cut quality, color increase and/or clarity upgrade.

Capture2.PNG

This looks like a great choice to me! I totally understand you wanting to keep the ring that you were given. You know your fiance better than anyone and swapping out the diamond seems like a good way to preserve his feelings and get a diamond you love. Marriage is for a long time - I've been married 36 years and on my 3rd ring now - things happen to rings :cry2:circumstances change and husbands decide you need a bigger diamond :dance:. You are just starting out, make a decision you are both happy with even if you have to compromise a little.

You have to trust your gut on this one. Maybe just have a conversation with your fiancee. I bought my girl a super ideal stone that was H in color as I thought she was not very color sensitive. Turns out I am marrying eagle eyes. I was more than happy to swap out to a D/E colored stone, but in her case she can see a slight tint but isn't bothered by it and wants the stone I originally picked for sentimental reasons. In my case I would have preferred to swap, so really it's a personal decision only you two can answer.

We will help you whichever direction you deem is best for your situation.

If you are open to returning for a refund and going elsewhere, here are some possible alternates I found for you:

0.90ct E SI1, $3,412
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/1034505

Capture3.PNG

0.90ct H SI1, $3,313
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.90-ct-H-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42216707

Same table, crown & pavilion as the E I listed above. This one is H color and has medium fluor. Assuming, the E is eye clean I'd proceed with that and get the very nice color bump.

0.90ct H SI1, $3,400
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R90-607892707

Again, nearly identical proportions. This one has 80 LGF's which mean slightly skinnier arrows and will throw a little more white and broken light vs larger rainbow flashes; however, 75-80 is acceptable and differences are very minimal overall.

This one doesn't have any fluor.

0.90ct I SI1, $3,087 & $3,184 (offered @ two different vendors)
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamonds/3664755
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/618422621

FourMine has a video. I am concerned this one may not be eye clean. There is a spot almost square in the middle of the table. Granted it's highly magnified, but it concerns me. At the least you will need to ask.

If it is eye clean, this has gorgeous angles....57 table, 34.5 crown & 40.8 pavilion. :love:

Capture4.PNG

1.03ct K VS2, $3,140 & $3,269 (again, offered at two vendors)
https://parcelandstone.com/diamond/Round/1.03-carat-K-color-VS2-clarity-stockNo-182144-612
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamonds/3878744

High crown and small table should produce lots of fire. Biggest concern here is the K color, and the fact this stone has a slight brown tint to it per the cert. I notice the tint, but like it better than a yellowish tint personally. Not everyone does, but maybe the Yadav video can help you determine.

I listed this to show how things change when you go over that 1 carat mark. If it's important, that's okay but just letting you know.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-2_15-57-52.png
    upload_2018-10-2_15-57-52.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 16

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree w. others that you should just start over and return both stone and ring. I like the options @sledge and @SimoneDi. I think any of them will be significantly better than your current stone, and will look as large, or larger larger (because better cut/more fire, etc)

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be careful with this company. Brilliance.com has a 30 day return policy, but the clock starts ticking the day you ORDERED the ring, not the day you received it. Read the first sentence in the "Returns Process" section from their website, on the screenshot below. I ordered a band from them and they took three and a half weeks to make it and send it to me. I received it on Christmas Eve and was unable to return it in time for a refund just a few days after Christmas when I decided I didn't love it. I assumed "30 day return" meant 30 days from receipt, as is the practice of most decent jewelry merchants. Now, I ALWAYS read the fine print.

upload_2018-10-2_17-25-13.png

beardog

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on the engagement & I applaud your courage to speak up now rather than letting your disappointment grow. I think you'll both be happier knowing that you have a stone that makes you :love: every time you look at it

Jsummer327

Rough_Rock
I like this stone for the fact it stays in a color you seem agreeable to. It gives you a very nice clarity bump to VS2 (should be eye clean). Love the small 55 table. Without getting techy, a smaller table will produce more fire.

The 34 crown and 40.6 pavilion fall into the ideal proportion range, but typically we like to pair a shallower 34 crown with a higher pavilion (around 40.8 to 40.9) if possible. Depending on actual values (as opposed to rounded/averaged values reported) this stone could fall between excellent & ideal as evidenced below.

While not exactly a perfect ideal cut, it offers lots of bang for the buck.

Capture0.PNG

I like this stone less than the BN noted above. Good qualities is it's GIA certified and H in color. Also, it has that smaller 55 table.

Unfortunately, while better than your I1 stone, it's still an SI2 which has me concerned about it being truly eye clean or not. Also, the crown on this stone is even more shallow at 33; however, the pavilion is a little steeper at 40.8.

Capture.PNG

Can you tell a difference below? Most people can start to see a very minor difference around 0.20mm in size. Because the proportions of the stone alter the depth, which affects the total carat weight I would be more inclined to shop by the dimensions of the stone as opposed to the carat weight.

Also, I might note that you will pay a premium to go over the magic weight of 1 carat, while you will probably not get a discernible "OMG, it's so much bigger" size increase. A 0.20mm does not qualify as such -- at least to me. I think for that small size difference, you will are more likely to see a better cut quality, color increase and/or clarity upgrade.

Capture2.PNG

You have to trust your gut on this one. Maybe just have a conversation with your fiancee. I bought my girl a super ideal stone that was H in color as I thought she was not very color sensitive. Turns out I am marrying eagle eyes. I was more than happy to swap out to a D/E colored stone, but in her case she can see a slight tint but isn't bothered by it and wants the stone I originally picked for sentimental reasons. In my case I would have preferred to swap, so really it's a personal decision only you two can answer.

We will help you whichever direction you deem is best for your situation.

If you are open to returning for a refund and going elsewhere, here are some possible alternates I found for you:

0.90ct E SI1, $3,412
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/1034505

Capture3.PNG

0.90ct H SI1, $3,313
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.90-ct-H-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42216707

Same table, crown & pavilion as the E I listed above. This one is H color and has medium fluor. Assuming, the E is eye clean I'd proceed with that and get the very nice color bump.

0.90ct H SI1, $3,400
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R90-607892707

Again, nearly identical proportions. This one has 80 LGF's which mean slightly skinnier arrows and will throw a little more white and broken light vs larger rainbow flashes; however, 75-80 is acceptable and differences are very minimal overall.

This one doesn't have any fluor.

0.90ct I SI1, $3,087 & $3,184 (offered @ two different vendors)
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamonds/3664755
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/618422621

FourMine has a video. I am concerned this one may not be eye clean. There is a spot almost square in the middle of the table. Granted it's highly magnified, but it concerns me. At the least you will need to ask.

If it is eye clean, this has gorgeous angles....57 table, 34.5 crown & 40.8 pavilion. :love:

Capture4.PNG

1.03ct K VS2, $3,140 & $3,269 (again, offered at two vendors)
https://parcelandstone.com/diamond/Round/1.03-carat-K-color-VS2-clarity-stockNo-182144-612
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamonds/3878744

High crown and small table should produce lots of fire. Biggest concern here is the K color, and the fact this stone has a slight brown tint to it per the cert. I notice the tint, but like it better than a yellowish tint personally. Not everyone does, but maybe the Yadav video can help you determine.

I listed this to show how things change when you go over that 1 carat mark. If it's important, that's okay but just letting you know.

Wow, so much info, thank you soo much for taking the time to do all this for me!! I am a little overwhelmed at the decision at the moment. I think ill have a meal and sleep on it and decide tomorrow because like someone said, time is ticking, the date ordered was Sept 18th but I want to get this going asap.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I totally get why you wouldn't relish having this conversation with your fiance, but look at it this way: you'll only have to do it once and then it's over. The worst that can happens is that he says no. And if it's a matter of harmony in the relationship, you could stick with this company, but I have to say I'm not personally impressed. They describe SI2s as almost always eye clean (no) and the tricky return policy puts me off as well.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, just weighing in on “the conversation”.
Yes, he will be miffed that you didn’t like his choice and yes he probably thought he was getting a great buy at $1800 compared to the $5 - 7000 rings you look at AND he will not “get” why it even matters.
It’s white, it’s sparkly, it’s an engagement ring - what else do you want?
It’s a guy thing.
Explain that your engagement ring is your most treasured piece of jewellery, it’s the piece that you hope you can pass down to a son or daughter. It’s a ring you will wear everyday of the rest of your life and you want it to be wonderful and special and you want to feel a thrill and a wave of happiness every time you look at it and you will look at it a hundred times a day.
If he’s into car explain it this way.
Imagine he wanted a Porsche and you bought him one.
When you looked at them he was very excited by their speed and performance and was very much looking forward to driving such a superb example of automotive engineering. Except instead of high performance turbo engine, the cheap one you found and bought has a 1600cc VW engine under the bonnet.
It’s a Porsche isn’t it? It has a German engine? It drives? It looks ok?
Wouldn’t he be disappointed? Wouldn’t he wince every time he starts it up and hears it’s awful “dac dac dac” sound instead of a deep powerful purr.
A successful and enduring marriage requires negotiating your way through lots of tricky conversations. When something really matters to you, and the ring does, you need to express yourself clearly and explain that while he may not understand why it matters, he needs to appreciate that it does. You appreciate that a $5 to $7k ring is off the table, like the Porsche, but the $1800 ring is poor quality and so a mid point of say $3500 will be a fair compromise.
He loves you, he wants to marry you - do not hold in feelings that really matter to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results