shape
carat
color
clarity

WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes Here!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add the strawberry salad we have been eating almost nonstop for the last few weeks since strawberries are in season and they are so cheap right now!! I have been buying 2 packs every 4-5 days for the last 3 weeks. You can modify this however with greens or cheeses as you wish...but here is how we make it. It takes me literally about 5 minutes to make it, and it's a great 'quick' add-on for a dinner.

Strawberry Bleu Cheese Salad
Mixed Greens (I have also seen it done with Spinach)
Lowfat Crumbled Bleu Cheese (I have also seen this done with feta)
Halved Sliced Strawberries
Fat Free Raspberry Dressing (I use Conzorzio brand in a tall round bottle from Whole Foods, it's one of the best I have found)
Fresh cracked black pepper

Per large serving: ~80-100 cals depending on how much cheese and dressing

--Add ins to your taste: diced pecans/walnuts/almonds; diced green apples

I made this for 2 parties recently (with pecans and apples) and it got rave reviews and was totally gone (since when is the salad entirely gone at a party with other goodies? hehe). The strawberries and raspberry dressing give it a real sweetness and the bleu cheese is somewhat tart so it works very well together.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
another one I have made a few times recently...a bit of a twist on deviled eggs and slightly more healthy. I LOVE deviled eggs, but adding the bacon and horseradish is a more recent thing hehee. And using light mayo and center cut bacon really drops the cals and fat.

Bacony Deviled Eggs
12 Large Eggs
4 Strips Center Cut Bacon
1/2c Light Mayo
2 tbls Dijon Mustard
2 tbls Regular Yellow Mustard
1 tsp Horseradish
Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring water to boil. Add eggs and boil for ~15 minutes. In the meantime, fry the bacon. Drain fat and pat bacon dry. Peel shells from eggs, Slice in half lengthwise, pop out the egg center. Crumble bacon into egg centers. Mix egg centers with Mayo, Mustards, Horseradish, Bacon, Salt and Pepper. Spoon or pipe mixture into egg halves. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

Makes 24 servings. Each filled egg half/serving is ~55 cals.

(Notes, the mix of Mayo, Horseradish, and Mustards is kind of 'to taste' so this is just an estimate of how I tend to make it, but you might want more horseradish or mustard and less mayo etc.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2007 12:15:28 PM
Author: Mara
another one I have made a few times recently...a bit of a twist on deviled eggs and slightly more healthy. I LOVE deviled eggs, but adding the bacon and horseradish is a more recent thing hehee. And using light mayo and center cut bacon really drops the cals and fat.

Bacony Deviled Eggs
12 Large Eggs
4 Strips Center Cut Bacon
1/2c Light Mayo
2 tbls Dijon Mustard
2 tbls Regular Yellow Mustard
1 tsp Horseradish
Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring water to boil. Add eggs and boil for ~15 minutes. In the meantime, fry the bacon. Drain fat and pat bacon dry. Peel shells from eggs, Slice in half lengthwise, pop out the egg center. Crumble bacon into egg centers. Mix egg centers with Mayo, Mustards, Horseradish, Bacon, Salt and Pepper. Spoon or pipe mixture into egg halves. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

Makes 24 servings. Each filled egg half/serving is ~55 cals.

(Notes, the mix of Mayo, Horseradish, and Mustards is kind of ''to taste'' so this is just an estimate of how I tend to make it, but you might want more horseradish or mustard and less mayo etc.)
HI:

I''ve never met anyone else besides my Mom who likes deviled eggs--I luv ''em! These additions will perk up an old standby.....sound tasty!

cheers--Sharon

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I had this for breakfast this morning and thought I was going to die, it was so tasty!

From Lickety-Split Meals, by Zonya Foco

Scrumptious Swiss Oats and Fruit (or something similar. I''ll edit once I get home to the cookbook).
1 1/2 cup dry oats (quick or regular)
1 1/4 cup skim milk or soy milk
2 T honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon

The night before, mix all the above ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.

In the morning, gently mix in 3 cups sliced/chopped fruit, any combination, any variety (bananas, strawberries, peaches, pears, kiwis, mangos, diced apples, dried pineapple, dried cranberries, dried chopped apricots, dried coconut, raisins, etc), and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds. Serves 4, easily doubles or triples.

Nutrition information: I''ll edit when I get the cookbook, but it''s quite healthy.

I made it with 2 bananas, sliced strawberries, and dried pineapple tidbits. OMG
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So this is kind of a recipe but kind of more like 'just put it all together' but we had this last nite and it got rave reviews from my BBQ chicken loving husband and i thought they were super tasty as well. and great for a quick middle of the week 'i only have 10 minutes' dinner.

Quick BBQ Chicken Quesadillas

--TJ's Shredded Breast BBQ Chicken (comes in a tub/container, found it near the hummus and meats)
--La Tortilla 50 cal Tortillas
--2% Monterey Jack Cheese (or your fave 2% cheese)
--Sliced Onions (red or yellow work fine)
--Garlic Powder
--EVOO

Heat up the BBQ chicken in a bowl in the microwave til hot. On a skillet or griddle, spray a little EVOO, and place a tortilla with some of the BBQ chicken, garlic powder, some onions, and some cheese. Heat up for a minute or two, fold over into quesadilla shape, hold a bit til cheese melts to hold the quesadilla shape. Flip to get other side of quesadilla nice and toasty and crisp. Place on plate, cut into halves or thirds. Top with salsa of your choice, we used a Mango Peach one that was GREAT with the BBQ chicken.

Served it with green salads though you could easily pair them with spicy black beans or corn or similar. On each quesadilla I used about 1/4c chicken, 1/4c cheese and a sprinkling of onions and garlic powder. Cals per quesadilla were about 175-200ish based on how much cheese and chicken you use. I just had one quesadilla and some salad and fruit and I was stuffed. Bonus is that the La Tortilla Factory tortillas have like 9g fiber. So you get a huge dose of protein from the cheese and chicken and then a big fiber boost too. Whee! Enjoy.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Fava and Chickpea soup
2 lbs favas (in pods)
2-3 cups dried chickpeas, soaked
½ preserved lemon, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 very large onion, diced
½ tsp strong harissa (garlic chili paste)
2 tbls olive oil (can do less or more, depending on what you want)
1 tsp-1 tbls smen (Moroccan fermented butter, can be omitted)
1 tomato, sliced
1 tbls cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp chicken bullion
salt to taste

Shell fava beans. If you have the patience, peel. Melt butter and oil over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes or until clear. Add spices, harissa, lemon and garlic, sauté 1 min. Add beans and sauté another 2 mins. Add 10-12 cups water (to cover plus about three inches). Add tomato and salt.
Simmer for 2 hours or until beans are very tender. Serve with whole wheat crusty bread.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Red lentil soup

2-3 cups red lentils
about 9 cups water (it''s a 1:3 lentil:water ratio)
1-2 medium onions
4-5 small carrots
¼ cup cilantro
2 cups crimini mushrooms
2 tsp chicken bullion
1 tsp ginger
1.5 tsp tumeric
1 tsp dried hot chili pwdr

saute onions in 2 tbls EVO until mostly clear, add carrots, spices, and cilantro. Cook until carrots have a little color. Add mushrooms, saute briefly. Add water to cover, add bullion, bring to a boil and simmer until lentils fall into a mush, 20-30 mins. Suggestion: if you have it, add some (1/4 c) white wine to the saute mix pre-broth. Grate parmesan and drizzle a little EVO on individual bowls before serving, croutons might work as well.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
This is a little heavy on the EVO but it''s soooo good:

Favorite Two-Pepper Salad:

2 green peppers
2 red peppers
4-5 cloves garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger
3 tbls EVO
Salt to taste
½ fresh lemon

Grill the peppers over a grill or gas burner until the skin is charred and black and the peppers are easily pierced by a fork. Remove, cut off stems so as to get out most seeds, then cut into thin (1/4-1/2’’) slices. Remove as many seeds as possible but do not rinse. Put peppers into a small bowl. Meanwhile, sauté the ginger and garlic slowly until both are golden and crackling. Add in pepper juices and a tiny bit of basalmic vinegar and cook mostly off. Pour over peppers and toss. Squirt with lemon juice. Serve room temperature or lukewarm.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Easy Chickpea curry

2 tbls EVO
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans chickpeas, drained and washed
1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika, 1 tsp yellow curry powder, pinch cayenne pepper, salt, little black pepper
Basil for garnish
2-3 cups chicken stock
2 broiled red peppers (you dont have to pre-cook them, but you''ll have to simmer the curry longer if you add them to the inital saute, add a bit more liquid)
1 bunch spinach, washed & shredded, stems reserved.

1. saute the chickpeas with the garlic (2 cloves), spices, and spinach STEMS until garlic turns golden brown
2. Add chicken stock (2-3 cups)
3. bring to a simmer
4. add slices of pre-cooked peppers and raw shredded spinach, heat through (1-2 mins)
5. Serve with plain yogurt and garnish with Thai or Italian basil

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Huh. The above are all my own recipies, and I have just realized I seem to have a deep fondness for making recipies with a) beans and b)soup. Probably because soup is a good "gee there is nothing in the fridge...well, if I throw X and Y and Z together....

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never posted here, but I have some great recipes!...Don''t have much time today but thought I would post one of my favorite recipes, super easy!.

My grandma is vasc from the North of Spain (San Sebastian) and this is one of their typical dishes (I don''t have exact measurements, but will try!).

Pescado en Salsa Verde (Fish in Green Sauce) - 2 people

Ingredients:
- White fish fillets (such as sea bass, grouper...or one that doesn''t "crumble" easily).
- One large yellow onion
- ~ 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1 large can of green asparagus (I like "Del Monte" ones with the gold label)
- Fresh Parsley (this is what will make it green, so add as much as you like!...I love parskley!)
- Clams (10 or so)
- Olive Oil
- White Wine
- S & P
- Optional: Flour

1) Ok, so the first step is to cut the onion in squares and saute in the olive oil -in a non-stick pan-(at a medium low heat, you want them to be transparent, but not golden as this would change the taste). Sprinkle some S&P to taste.

2) Meanwhile, season the fish with S&P and sprinkle with flour (this is completely optional....I usually skip it, unless I''m making it for guests since it makes the sauce a little bit thicker....but not too much, it''s suppossed to be more like a broth, not a thick sauce).

3) Push the onions to the sides of the pan, and saute the fish on both sides, this is to "seal" them, so you can raise the heat a little bit.

4) Once you have done both sides, add the white wine (to taste, I probably use a little less than 1/2 cup). Let the wine evaporate a little bit and then add the liquid from the asparagus can (not the asparagus, just the liquid!). Add the green peas and about 3/4 of chopped fresh parsley.

5) Add the clams around the pan and cover for a few minutes. Any clams that don''t open should be discarded. This is when you check for Salt, usually the clam releases some salt and you don''t need to add anymore.

6) Once the clams open, add the asparagus (this is the last step since the asparagus can break easily and they only need to be heated a bit. Add the remaining parsley for decoration...and voila!!

It is delicious and SO EASY! never fails, it always turns out great!....it looks like a lot of steps, but I was writing this from memory and trying to explain everything I do. It''s really easy though, so don''t let the number of steps intimidate you! You can play with the amount of ingredients depending on what you like best. IMO, the clams, asparagus and parsley are the key.

This is teh first meal I made for my fiance when we met. He came to my house, asked what was for dinner. I said "just an old grandma''s recipe, nothing special!", I uncovered teh pan and he almost fell over backwards!...he still talks about how much I impressed him that day! It''s a nice looking dish with the clams, the parsley....yum!

M~

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic thread, Mara. I have a few recipes and as soon as school is out and I''m not so time crunched I''ll add them. AND, I''m definitely adding some of these to my recipe box. Thanks for starting this thread!

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
i made this last night and it was yummy! definitely satisfied my chocolate craving without breaking the calorie bank. i found it a bit sweet for my taste, so next time i would reduce the sugar by adding just 1 T of sugar to the egg white and maybe reducing the sugar in the cocoa mixture as well.

Individual Chocolate Souffle Cakes

Cooking spray
4 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat 2 (6-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray; sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar.

Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, flour, cocoa, and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, stirring until smooth. Spoon chocolate mixture into a medium bowl; cool 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla.

Place egg white in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently stir 1/4 of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Sharply tap dishes 2 or 3 times to level. Place dishes on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until puffy and set. Sprinkle each soufflé with 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar. Serve immediately.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 soufflé)

CALORIES 152 (4% from fat); FAT 0.6g (sat 0.3g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 3.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.31mg; CALCIUM 26mg; SODIUM 35mg; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 35.3g

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
these got 2 thumbs up at our father's day BBQ this evening. i cooked them on the outdoor grill. oh, and i didn't use the mango chutney.

Tuna Burgers with Ginger and Soy

1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna steak (I used Trader Joe’s frozen Ahi Tuna steaks)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 inches fresh ginger root, chopped
3 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. black pepper
Cooking spray
6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
6 leaves red leaf lettuce
Mango chutney (optional)
Wasabi mustard (recommended: Stonewall Kitchen brand) or other sweet-hot Asian mustard

Preheat a nonstick griddle or a grill pan to high heat.

Put ginger and garlic in food processor and pulse several times until finely minced. Cube tuna into bite size pieces and add to food processor. Pulse the processor to coarse-grind the tuna; it should take on the consistency of ground beef or turkey. Transfer tuna mixture to a bowl. Combine ground tuna with dark soy sauce, scallions, red bell pepper, sesame oil, and black pepper. Form 6 large patties and spray on both sides with cooking spray.

Cook tuna burgers 3 minutes on each side for rare, up to 6 minutes each side for well done. Open up the buns and lightly toast them on the grill. Spread mango chutney on the bottom of each bun if desired. Top with tuna burger and red leaf lettuce. Spread wasabi mustard on bun tops and set them in place.
Serves 6

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
shortblonde here is the corn and edamame recipe...i found it online. i actually modified it to my taste, and we all loved how it came out. pretty darn healthy too and such a great summer salad, it's so pretty with all the colors and looks fab on the table in a glass serving bowl to show off the colors.

Roasted Corn and Edamame Salad

This dish from Shawn Edelman of Ruby Foo's serves up a third of your daily requirement of vitamin C.

Serves 4
2 ears fresh corn, unhusked, or 1 1/4 cups cooked corn kernels
1/2 cup shelled edamame
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup small-diced red bell pepper
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped or grated ginger
1?8 tsp salt
1?8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Soak fresh corn in cold water about 30 minutes. Heat grill on high. Grill corn in husk, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Let cool. Remove husks. Cut corn from cob into a bowl; combine with remaining ingredients. Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

97 calories per serving, 2.9 g fat (0.4 saturated), 16.6 g carbs, 2.4 g fiber, 3.8 g protein

Mara Notes: I made it with organic sweet frozen corn kernels (so they weren't roasted), TJ's fresh shelled edamame, red onion, bell pepper, fresh cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice, salt, pepper and chili powder. I nixed the mayo and used lime for lemon as I prefer it in things like this. It came out really tasty, light and fresh. I used about 2 limes so more juice than called for and the chili powder gave it a tiny kick which I love in salads like this. I also let it marinate in the fridge for about 2 hours and mixed it a bit to let everything get nice and mixed in. Overall a huge hit...I will definitely make it again.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diet French Fries

These are easy, crispy and great treats for those of us dieters longing for fries. Make sure to use foil with nonstick spray because the egg whites will stick really bad to anything else.

Ingredients:

Potatoes (peeled or unpeeled cut up in to french fries)
Egg White (1 or 2 depending on number of potatoes used)
Season Salt

Cut up potatoes and dry with a paper towel. Pour egg whites in a baggy. Dump potatoes in the baggy and shake the bag coating the fries with egg white. Dump potatoes out on foil lined cookie sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Sprinkle on season salt.

Bake at 400 degrees until browned.

A 5 oz potato with 1 egg white is about 110 calories.

Enjoy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tried these last nite and they are very yummy and high in fiber and protein. They''d make a great breakfast with a little PB or low-sugar jam spread on them. I had two this morning!!

They are not that sweet though, so if you like a sweeter muffin then I would either add another super ripe banana OR/AND more brown sugar/splenda/sugar. I love Bran muffins with other flavors though so these are perfect for me. And so dense!

Banana Pecan Bran Muffins
1 1/2 cups unprocessed wheat bran
1/3c oat bran
1c white wheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3oz plain fat free yogurt (aka fage)
1 tbsp honey
3.5tsp splenda brown sugar blend
1/3c fat free milk
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/3c applesauce, unsweetened
2 small to medium overripe mashed bananas
1/4c crushed pecans

Blend all dry ingredients together (minus sugar blend) in large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients together (including banana and sugar blend) in smaller bowl. Fold wet ingredients into dry, careful not to overmix. Drop into greased or lined muffin cups. Bake at 375 for ~30-35 minutes (depending on how much banana you used!)

Makes 9 super large muffins (or probably 12 smaller ones).

Nutritionals per muffin for 9 large muffins: 160 cals, 3g fat, 295g potassium, 34g carbs, 6.7g fiber, 4g sugar, 7g protein.
(If you make 12, it''s more like 120 cals per muffin). High in VitB6, Copper, Iron, Magnesium.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some new muffins I made tonite, I really like them!!! They are not quite as 'dense' as the pecan banana bran ones, a little more fluffy and really tasty with the dried tart cherries. I made them a bit smaller and still got 12 good sized muffins as well. I wanted something under 100 cals per muffin and a little less fiber so this way if I end up eating 2 or something one day I am not getting too wild and crazy.
2.gif

Cherry Applesauce Bran Muffins
3/4c wheat bran
1c whole wheat white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
1/2c almond milk
1/2 container of 0% fat 5oz fage
1/2c applesauce, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla
3.5 tsp brown sugar splenda mix
1/2c quaker rolled oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4c dried cherries

Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir wet ingredients together in medium bowl, including brown sugar splenda blend. Fold wet ingredients into dry and fold in dried cherries. Do not overmix or muffins will be tough. Heat oven to 375 and bake in silicone muffin cups or greased muffin tin for 30 minutes. Let cool, pop out of cups and store in the fridge.

Nutrition per muffin (recipe makes 12): 90 cals, 1g fat, 18g carb, 3.5g fiber, 5g sugar, 3g protein

Note: For a very tart flavor, you can double the cherries in the recipe. (Adds ~10 cals per muffin)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fruity Sangria

Ingredients
1 cup wine, dry, red
3 cup low-calorie cranberry juice cocktail, refrigerated
2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
2 medium apple(s), cored and chopped
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste

Instructions
Stir together all ingredients in a large pitcher; allow to stand for 30 minutes. Place ice in glasses and serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving and is 50 calories.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good idea skippy. another sangria recipe, i made it a few months ago for friends and we went through literally 9 bottles of wine for like 11 people. big hit!!

Fruity White Sangria
bottle of pinot grigio
bottle of moscato
1/2 bag of frozen mango
1/2 bag of frozen raspberries (or fresh if you have them)
1/2 bag of frozen peaches
1/3c of peach schnapps
1c ginger ale
sugar to taste (i'd start with about 1/4c then let it sit for a few hours and see if you even need more, the fruit really sweetens it)

mix all together and let sit for 2-10 hours, the longer the better for flavors to marinate.

~125-150ish cals per cup depending on how much fruit you get (aka 8oz wine is about 100 cals)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Made this for the 4th of July - HUGE HUGE hit - shrimp disappeared in a nano-second!

Grilled Shrimp
• 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, uncooked
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil (Al note: I subbed EVOO, and reduced it down to 3 tbs. with no problem.)
• 2 to 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 bunch green onions, with a few inches of green, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt

Place shrimp in a glass bowl. Stir remaining ingredients together; pour over shrimp. Cover and marinate for 3 to 4 hours. Grill over hot coals for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
Serves 4 to 6.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

It makes 10 servings and 1 serving is 270 calories. 5 weight watchers points per serving.

Carrot Cake
Ingredients

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole-grain wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt
1 large egg(s)
2 medium egg white(s)
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 cup carrot(s), grated
3 oz light cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

Heat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Lightly coat the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with wax paper and lightly coat paper with spray.

In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, honey, oil and lemon juice until blended. Stir flour mixture and carrots into egg mixture just until well blended.

Spread batter into a prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out of pan and cool completely.

Meanwhile, for frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Spread a thin layer over cooled cake and serve.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chicken Gumbo

Chicken GumboCook Time: 40 minutesPrep Time: 15 minutesYield: Makes 4 servingsIngredients:

2tablespoons all-purpose flour
2teaspoons blackened seasoning mix or Creole seasoning mix
3/4pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2teaspoons olive oil
1large onion, coarsely chopped
1/2cup sliced celery
2teaspoons minced garlic
1can (about 14 ounces) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
1large green bell pepper, cut into chunks
1teaspoon filé powder (optional)
2cups hot cooked rice
2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:
1.Combine flour and blackened seasoning mix in large resealable food storage bag. Add chicken; toss to coat. Heat oil in large deep nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken to skillet; sprinkle with any remaining flour mixture. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes.

2.Add broth, tomatoes with juice and bell pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced. Remove from heat; stir in filé powder, if desired. Ladle into shallow bowls; top with rice and parsley.
Note: Filé powder, made from dried sassafras leaves, thickens and adds flavor to gumbos. Look for it in the herb and spice section of your supermarket.
Nutritional Information:Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups gumbo with 1/2 cup rice
Fiber 3 g
Carbohydrate 38 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Saturated Fat 2 g
Total Fat 9 g
Calories from Fat 27 %
Calories 306
Protein 18 g
Sodium 302 mg
Dietary Exchange: Meat 2
Vegetable 1
Starch 2
Fat 1

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of my favorites and super easy to make
35.gif

Mediterranean Cod Skillet

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinkly sliced
2 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. black olives sliced
1tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 lb of cod or white fish

1) In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and galic in olive oil until softened.
2) Stir in tomatoes, olives, parsley, and wine. Simmer for 5 mins
3) Place fillets and brocolli in sauce. Simmer 5 more minutes, and until fish turns white.

You can serve over a rice or pasta.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
WEIGHT WATCHERS ZERO POINTS GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 1 1/4 hour
Makes 9 cups

6 cups broth (today I used Light Vegetable Stock)

Cooking spray
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 teaspoons garlic (from a jar or substitute four cloves minced garlic)
1/2 cabbage, chopped (or use a bag of slaw, the biggest chunks you can find vs the fine)
1/2 pound frozen green beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 large zucchini, diced

Bring the broth to a boil in the microwave. (This is a time-saving tip that can be skipped if there''s no hurry.)

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Cup: 61 Cal (3% from Fat, 24% from Protein, 73% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 0 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 13 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb10; NetCarb10; 52 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 701 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers ... hmmm ... 1 point

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Weight Watchers 1 Point Watermelon and Cucumber Salad:

1 cup diced seedless cucumber
1 cup cubed watermelon
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/4 cup either parsley or cilantro (depens on your taste preference)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper

Mix all ingredients together. In a separate bowl, wisk together red wine vinegar,salt and pepper and pur over fruit and vegetable. Stir together.

Note: Pour vinegar mixture on right before you plan on eating the salad. The vinegar will breakdown the watermelon if you let it sit too long.

75 calories per serving (1 cup).

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Tilapia with Mango salsa and fruit salad
INGREDIENTS
Fish:
• 4 tilapia fillets
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
• 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
• salt and pepper to taste
• crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Salsa:
• 1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
• 1 small red onion, finely chopped
• 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
• 3 roma tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1 lime, zested and juiced
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.)
2. In a shallow baking dish, combine the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Rinse the fish fillets and pat them dry. Place them into the baking dish and turn to coat with the seasonings.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish can be flaked with a fork.
4. While the fish cooks, combine the mango, onion, avocado, tomatoes, lime zest and juice, jalapeno, ginger, cilantro and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a glass bowl. Stir to blend and set aside at room temperature until fish has finished cooking. Place fillets on a platter and spoon the salsa over them to serve.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Citrus Shrimp with Mixed Veggies and Fruit
INGREDIENTS
• 2 oranges, zested and juiced
• 3 limes, zested and juiced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
DIRECTIONS
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the orange juice and zest, lime juice and zest, olive oil, garlic and salt. Be careful with the salt - the shrimp really suck it up! Cover, and puree until smooth.
2. Place shrimp in a bowl, and pour the citrus marinade over them. Let them marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the shrimp about 3 minutes per side, in batches if necessary, until opaque. Spoon a little of the marinade in with them for extra flavor while they cook if you like.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Flank Steak Tacos with Fruit Salad
INGREDIENTS
• 1 Flank Steak marinated
• Whole wheat tortillas
• Guacamole
o Avocado
o Red onion
o Cilantro
o Garlic
o Salt and pepper
o Lime juice
• Lettuce
• Tomato
• Manchego cheese (or other soft white cheese) or Mexican cheese blend
• Salsa

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
This is one of my favourite low-carb, low-fat, super easy to prepare dinners:

Asian-inspired Lettuce Wraps

Need:
--Ground turkey or chicken
--a bunch of your favourite veggies (i use red and green peppers, water chestnuts, carrots some brocolli and baby corn chopped up--anything that you have sitting in the fridge!)
--A large head of ice-berg lettuce/washed and leaves seperated
--soya sauce
--hoisin sauce (asian bbq sauce)
--A few servings of rice--cooked (optional)

For toppings:
Sweet chilli sauce
chopped green onion
fresh bean sprouts

Directions (all in one fry-pan):
Brown ground turkey in a fry pan with a tiny bit of oil
season with salt and pepper to taste
add in a few tbls each of soya sauce and hoisin sauce (to taste)
when meat is cooked and just prior to serving--toss in the raw veggies and cook with meat until just tender
Toss in cooked rice (if using) and mix everything together --add more sauce if it needs it

Serve the meat/veggie/rice mixture with the ice-berg lettus "cups"
Assemble by spooning a few tbls of the mixture into the "cup"--sprinkle with green onions and bean sprouts and a dollop of sweet chilli sauce, fold up like you would a taco....yum!

Very easy and healthful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results