shape
carat
color
clarity

WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes Here!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Black Bean Soup (adapted from bushbeans.com)

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
3 cans Black Beans
Black pepper
Salsa
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Fresh herbs, if desired

Directions:
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Puree one can of black beans, add to pot. Add second can of black beans (do not puree). Drain last can of black beans and add to pot (do not puree).

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often (I usually let it simmer for 30 minutes, myself. This lets the whole beans soften up a bit more.) Add black pepper, to taste.

Top with salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, and fresh herbs as desired.

This is good served with a nice crusty bread (with a spread of baked garlic cloves as an extra treat!)

Yield: 4-6 servings (The original recipe says 'up to 6 servings' ... we tend to get 4-5. The soup is quite hearty and filling, though.)

(Hope this file attachment works ~ I didn't want to try formatting the text again!)
ETA - Nope didn't work. Please see next post for nutritional info.

Note: For the spice and flavor people, this is one recipe where I do ramp up the spices -- i.e. I add more chili powder, garlic, pepper depending on my mood. Sometimes for extra kick I add ground red pepper, sometimes some tobasco, or I use hot salsa. We like spicy foods!

Attachments

• black bean soup nutrition.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 336

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, well now I know pdf attachments don''t work! Sorry! Trying something different ....

Nutritional Information for Black Bean Soup:

black bean soup nutrition.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock

Cooking Light''s Fettucine Alfredo (2007 version)

1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (I personally think 1 tablespoon should be fine)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I had to add more salt to taste, so maybe 3/4 tspn salt would be better)
4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (8 ounces uncooked pasta)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (totally unnecessary...I''m going to omit this next time)
Cracked black pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley (this step is unnecessary...doesn''t add any extra flavor). Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 399(30% from fat); FAT 13.5g (sat 8g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 21.3g; CHOLESTEROL 34mg; CALCIUM 451mg; SODIUM 822mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 48.9g
Turkey Cubes and Broccoli
1lb turkey breast cubes
1.5 cups of broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn freshly ground black pepper
1 tspn chopped or minced garlic

Steam or boil 1.5 cups of broccoli for about 7 minutes or until tender, drain. Wash the turkey, add a tablespoon of olive oil or canola oil and about 1/2 tspn salt, 1/2 tspn freshly ground black pepper, 1 tspn chopped or minced garlic. Mix together and cook over medium heat, covered, stopping to stir about halfway through. Cooking time depends on how big your cubes are. Mine were about 1" square and it took about 10 minutes total. Stir in broccoli and remove from heat. You can mix this in with the fettucine, or serve separately, which is what I did.

NUTRITION PER SERVING (serves four)
Calories 175; Fat 4g; Protein 29.5; Carbohydrate 3g

Overall it was a pretty yummy dinner. Definitely doesn''t taste lowfat. My only comment is that it doesn''t stay creamy for more than about 15 minutes. It takes me more than 15 minutes to eat dinner so by the end of my meal the pasta was more sticky than creamy (oh well, less fat so it''s OK!!)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the recipe for the CrockPot Chili we made this week. Rave reviews from both of us. It's got a ton of fiber and protein, low-fat due to the turkeyr breast and 8% fat beef and yet VERY flavorful. Top it with 2% shredded cheddar and low-fat SC. YUM.

CrockPot Chili
7 oz lean ground 8% fat beef
5 oz lean ground turkey breast
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10.75 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onions
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1/2 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with a tablespoon of liquid
1/2 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons ground chili seasonings (aka lowrys)

Serves...turned out to about 5 equal servings..I typically eat 1-1.5 and Greg eats 2-2.5...hehee. We each had some the other night and we have a bowl left with about 2 servings in it...so I estimated about 5.

Total calories: ~1450 (so about 290 cals per serving for 5 servings)

DIRECTIONS
Saute onions and 1 clove garlic in a bit of EVOO. Place the turkey and beef in skillet over medium heat with onions and gralic, and cook until evenly brown and cooked mostly through. In the slow-cooker/crockpot, mix in celery, extra 1 clove garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, cannelini beans, spices, and chili seasoning. Cover, and cook 6-8 hours on Low.

If you like things more spicy, add in some chili powder OR more chili seasoning OR get the 'hot' chili seasoning rather than 'original/regular'...it was not spicy but I don't like overly spicy things as it hides some of the flavor. Greg likes things spicier so he just put some hot red pepper flakes on it to make it more jazzy.

Topped it with 2% shredded cheddar (1/4c is 80 cals) and low-fat sour cream (1 tablespoon is something like 30 cals). If you want some additional carbs, serve it with cornbread or crusty sourdough. Or a salad for a more healthy alternative!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I made this pizza last night with some variations, so I am posting the original recipe as well as my version (zuchinni just doesn''t belong in pizza in my mind). The dough is a bit difficult to work with, it''s very sticky so you''ll probably need more flour on hand than stated in the recipe but overall it came out great. Just make sure you coat your pan with a good amount of cooking spray so it doesn''t stick, mine did and it was a pain to fix!

Deep Dish Vegetable and Sausage Pizza
Sauce:
Cooking spray
2 cups chopped zucchini
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups fat-free garlic-and-onion pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage

Dough:
2 teaspoons honey
1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 11 1/4 ounces), divided
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil

Remaining ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
To prepare sauce, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add zucchini, onion, and mushrooms to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add wine and pepper; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in sauce. Remove from heat; cool.
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; add to sauce.

To prepare dough, dissolve honey and yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 1/4 cups flour, cornmeal, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)

Position one oven rack in the middle setting. Position another rack in the lowest setting. Preheat oven to 475°.

Brush a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with oil. Turn dough into pan. Gently press dough into pan and up the sides of the pan. Lightly spray surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove plastic wrap; discard. Spoon sauce mixture into crust. Bake on the bottom rack at 475° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.

Combine cheeses; sprinkle evenly over sauce. Bake on middle rack an additional 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into 6 squares.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 square)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 434(27% from fat); FAT 12.8g (sat 5.9g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 24.6g; CHOLESTEROL 45mg; CALCIUM 336mg; SODIUM 682mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 3.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 54.2g
My version:

Deep Dish Vegetable and Sausage Pizza
Sauce:
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup porcini mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (small) can tomato paste
4 leaves fresh basil minced
8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage

Dough:
2 teaspoons honey
1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 11 1/4 ounces), divided
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt

Remaining ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
To prepare sauce, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add wine and pepper; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in all tomatoes. Bring to boil, turn heat to low and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir basil into sauce; cool.

Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; add to sauce.

To prepare dough, dissolve honey and yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 1/4 cups flour, cornmeal, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)

Position one oven rack in the middle setting. Position another rack in the lowest setting. Preheat oven to 475°.

Cover a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Turn dough into pan. Gently press dough into pan and up the sides of the pan. Lightly spray surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove plastic wrap; discard. Spoon sauce mixture into crust. Bake on the bottom rack at 475° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.

Combine cheeses; sprinkle evenly over sauce. Bake on middle rack an additional 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into 6 squares.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 square)

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a dessert recipe from Cooking Light that we''ve made twice now. It''s really easy and is a good dessert for bringing over to someone''s house.

Pecan Bar Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes or until well combined. Add maple flavoring and egg; beat until combined. Add flour mixture; stir until well combined. Stir in pecans. Spread mixture evenly in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack.

Remove from pan, and drizzle with melted chocolate. Cool completely.

Yield: 12 servings (We cut the servings up like pie pieces.)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 210(36% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 3.3g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 2.7g; CHOLESTEROL 28mg; CALCIUM 37mg; SODIUM 190mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.6g

Notes: We don''t have maple flavoring, so the first time we substituted vanilla extract and the second time we substituted almond extract. I think I liked the almond flavoring better, but it is likely best with the maple flavoring. This is also very good without the chocolate on top.
The second time we made it we did add more pecans as both of us felt it was a little light on the pecans the first time around.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Last night's dinner (with some modifications). I used a recipe from a cookbook and changed a few things up. Calorie count is close to original.

Chicken Enchiladas
1 onion, chopped
cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sugar
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups 50% lighter mozerella cheese
1 can diced green chiles or jalepenos
1/8 cup minced fresh cilantro
12 corn tortillas
1 lime (for serving)

Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat large saucepan (use one that has a lid) over medium-high on stove.
Coat pan w/ cooking spray, saute onions and salt until tender.
Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and sugar, and cook for about 30 seconds (until fragrant).
Stir in tomato sauce and water, bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
Nestle chicken into sauce, cover, turn heat to low and let cook for 10-12 minutes.
Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
Strain sauce into a bowl pressing on onions to remove all sauce and flavor. Discard onions.
Shred chicken into small pieces. Mix together with 1 cup cheese, 1/2 cup sauce, jalepenos/diced chiles and cilantro.
Cover tortillas w/ plastic wrap and microwave tortillas for 40-60 seconds
Roll each tortilla w/ 1/3 cup of mixture.
Place in a 13x9 pan that has been lightly coated w/ cooking spray.
Pour 1 cup of sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Cover w/ foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Uncover and brown cheese, 5 minutes.
Serve w/ remaining sauce (I didn't have any, as I didn't get 2 cups from my strained sauce, maybe you'll do better than I did with that step!).

ETA: Serving size equals 2 enchiladas.

350 calories, 10 g. fat, 37 carbs, 33 g protein, 7 g fiber

Edited again to change fat grams. There are 10 g per serving, not 20 as I originally posted. Sliip of the finger!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my mom's chicken soup recipe, she made it last week for us and i adapted it for the crockpot, but you could probably cook it in a big pot as well for a few hours. it came out YUM and makes a ton! serve with crusty french bread and topped with parm cheese if desired. Greg gave it rave reviews. And we have enough for dinner tomorrow night (and probably the next night if we wanted, but I am taking this for lunch tomorrow!).

Mom's Chicken and Vegetable Soup
(adapted for Crockpot)

2.5 cups chicken broth
2.5 cups water
4 chicken breasts
2 cups diced zucchini
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups diced carrots (or mini carrots)
1c diced celery
1/2c diced onions
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 cup bok choy
2 sliced tomatoes
1 tablespoon diced green onions
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon garlic
2 bay leaves

Layer into the crockpot with chicken on bottom, then potatoes, zucchini, celery, carrots, tomatoes, cauliflower, then bok choy on top. Pour broth and water over everything, mix in garlic, diced green onions, diced regular onions, parsley, sea salt and bay leaves. Cook for 8 hours on low, then set to 'warm' when done. Chicken will shred apart easily (mine shredded by me just mixing up the soup a few times). Add more salt to taste if necessary, serve and put fresh cracked black pepper over bowls. Serve with toasted crusty bread, and shredded parmesan cheese on top if desired.

Serves 8-10. Calories per serving are 190-240 depending on 8 vs 10. Fat is 2-2.5g of fat depending on 8 vs 10 servings as well. Greg and I both had big bowls of the soup and the CP is still 3/4 full!

NOTE: This recipe will fill a 6 qt oval crockpot to 90% full. The water/broth level was high when I put it together this morning and I was a little worried it might get too high and overflow but it turned out perfectly...I think keeping it on 8 hours at low was important since it never got so hot it probably never bubbled too crazily. For a smaller crockpot, adjust chicken, vegetables and liquids accordingly!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've made this once or twice, it's REALLY good once the sauce thickens into the chicken. Also you can make more breasts and then slice up the leftover to use in sandwichees, yum. Can you tell I am a mustard cream lover? LOL.

Dijon Tarragon Chicken Breast
1 spray EVOO
1 teaspoon flour
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2c white wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon

DIRECTIONS
Heat up a pan over medium hot heat with a spray of EVOO in it. Season chicken with salt and pepper and pat all sides with flour, and place in the hot skillet. Brown on both sides. Add in cream, wine, mustard, and tarragon and continue cooking 15 minutes. Cook and stir 10 minutes, or until thickened and liquid is reduced. Serve with steamed veggies and a side salad.

Servings: 2
Calories per serving: 350
Fat per serving: 5.8g
Protein 54.9 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 0.0 g

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I made this casserole once before and John loved it, I thought it was good, but the chicken was dry. The chicken I made for the enchiladas (recipe above) was cooked in enchilada sauce prior to shredding/baking and came out perfectly so I''m trying it again tonight but cooking the chicken (for shredding) in a mixture of broth and soup. And then rinsing it to remove excess calories.

I also substitute mozerella cheese for cheddar, just because it''s better for you and we both like it as much as cheddar cheese (there are 532 calories and 43 grams of fat in a cup of cheddar cheese, and 399 calories and 26.4 grams of fat in part skim, low moisture mozerella). So I''ve posted my alternative recipe and revised calories below, just as an FYI. There''s only a slight difference, but in my mind every bit counts

I cut it into fourths because neither of us is a big fan of leftovers, but the recipe below servew 12. I just serve this with a side salad as the portion is large and quite filling.

Green Chilie Chicken and Cheese Casserole

1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup fat-free sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell''s)
1 garlic clove, minced
Cooking spray
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 335(29% from fat); FAT 10.8g (sat 5.9g,mono 2.7g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 23.9g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 270mg; SODIUM 693mg; FIBER 3.2g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.3g

My Version (Slightly Altered)
1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup fat-free sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell''s)
1 garlic clove, minced
Cooking spray
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded part skim/low moisture mozerella cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 325 FAT 9.4 g

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
removed since it didn't qualify as a "recipe"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
just a little reminder to keep this thread all about recipes and not discussion...discuss the recipes over in the WWT! thanks!
2.gif

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
CousCous Salad:

This yeilds 4 lunchtime servings of 1 1/4 cups each... or 6-8 side servings (if used in conjunction with a main dish!)

1 1/2 c. Low Sodium Chicken Broth (I use Swanson''s Natural Goodness)
1 1/2 c. Couscous (I usually use the tri-color kind, but you can substitute Whole Wheat, but the texture will be different)

Bring Chicken Broth to a boil and add the couscous while stirring. Cover with a lid, and remove from heat. Let stand 5 min.

In a seperate bowl, combine the following:

3/4 of a red onion finely diced (use more or less depending on your tastes)
1 red bell pepper diced
1 15oz can of Low Sodium diced tomatoes, drained

After couscous has cooked, fluff with a fork and pour into bowl of veggies. Stir to combine.

For the dressing:

1 large lemon (more or less, depending on your tastes, I prefer LOTS of lemon juice... so fresh!)
3 t. olive oil.

Squeeze lemon juice and pour olive oil over couscous mixture and stir, add Salt and pepper to taste.

Finally, I add 4 ounces of Fat Free Feta, crumbled and stir.

Enjoy. I''m sorry I dont have the nutritional information. I''m a somewhat brainwashed Weight Watchers fiend.. so I really only think in terms of Point Values.

The lunch portion of this dish is 5pts.

Hope you like it.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Balsamic Vinegar Veggies:

1 bunch of Asparagus
1 Large Red Bell pepper, diced
1 Medium Sweet Onion, sliced

2T balsamic vinegar
2t Olive Oil

Trim ends of Asparagus and cut into 1 inch. pieces.
Dice bell pepper and slice onion, making all generally the same size.

Put 2t Olive Oil in large skillet on Med-high (more high than medium)

Add all the veggies and cook, browning them. When almost tender, add the vinegar (careful, it will splatter), reduce heat to med-low, reducing the vinegar and infusing the veggies. Cook on low for an additional 5-10 min.

This recipe yields 2 large servings (FI and I love veggies so we half it!) or 4 smaller servings.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Salade de Brocoli et d''Avocat
Broccoli and Avocado Salad with citrus vinaigrette
1 small broccoli, cut into flowerets, (reserve the stems for another use)
1 avocado
half a lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons grapefruit juice (or lemon juice)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. While cutting the broccoli into flowerets, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 2-4 minutes.

2. Drain the broccoli and run briefly under cold water. Drain again, place in a bowl and chill.

3. Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, peel and cut each half into eights. Sprinkle with the juice of the half lemon to prevent it from discoloring.

To serve:

Arrange alternating rows of broccoli and avocado on each of 4 small salad plates. Whisk together the grapefruit juice, oil and some pepper and drizzle over the broccoli and avocado. Serve

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

GINGERBREAD WITH CIDER SAUCE

The cider sauce adds an extra spark of ginger to this old-fashioned cake.

For cake
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup robust-flavored (dark) molasses
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup boiling water
For sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups unsweetened apple cider
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger

Powdered sugar

Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 10-inch-diameter Bundt pan (12-cup capacity) with vegetable oil spray. Whisk flour, sugar, ginger, baking soda and salt in medium bowl to blend. Whisk molasses, applesauce, oil and egg in large bowl to blend. Add dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Whisk in 1/2 cup boiling water. Pour batter into prepared pan (batter will fill only half of pan).

Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool in pan 30 minutes. Invert cake onto platter and cool to lukewarm, at least 15 minutes.

Make sauce:
Whisk sugar and cornstarch in heavy small saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in cider. Whisk over medium heat until sauce boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in lemon juice and ginger.

Dust cake with powdered sugar. Cut into 12 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature with sauce.

Per serving: calories, 242; total fat, 8 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 27 mg.

Serves 12.

Bon Appétit - Cooking For Health

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
The best Lemon Chicken!

4 (4 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 shallots peeled, and halved lengthwise if large
16 garlic cloves, peeled (12 whole, 4 minced)
2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
4-6 slices of lemon
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup of low-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1. Pat chicken dry with paper towel, season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chicken until slightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.

2. Reduce heat to medium and add shallots, whole garlic cloves, and 1/2 tsp of salt to the pan. Cook until vegetables begin to soften and turn spotty brown, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, lemon juice, and honey. Return chicken and accumated chicken juices to skillet. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

3. Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Add lemon slices to pan, increase heat to high, and boil until sauce is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Off heat, whisk in sour cream and parsley, season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken, serve.

Calories: 338
Fat: 15.9g
Protein: 36.2g

My notes: This is modified -- the full version just uses bone-in, skin on breasts for extra flavor. The thyme is not necessary, I substitite herbes de provence, but you could easily sub rosemary and other french style herbs. I skip the parsley at the end, as it''s just for presentation. Make sure you stir the sour cream in OFF of the hot burner so that the sour cream does not curdle. Enjoy!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
A really yummy and easy CHICKEN STEW. I don''t have any nutritional info on it, but it''s from Giada de Laurentiis, and she''s teensy tiny so how bad can it be?
2.gif
No, really, though, it seems pretty healthy

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, cut into bite-size pieces
1 carrot, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 chicken breast with ribs (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained (rinsed if not organic) *I use cannelini, but that''s just my preference*

Heat the oil in a heavy 5 1/2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, carrot, and onion. Saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme. Add the chicken breasts; press to submerge.
Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken breasts over and stirring the mixture occasionally, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a work surface and cool for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced into a stew consistency, about 10 minutes.

Discard the skin and bones from the chicken breasts. Shred or cut the chicken into bite- size pieces. Return the chicken meat to the stew. Bring the stew just to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*We serve this over rice (brown rice lately), and it''s sooooo good! With a side of nice crusty bread, of course.*

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

From
Use a paring knife to cut the small pocket into the chicken breasts.

1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped shallots, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and finely chop.
Chop 1/3 cup shallots and garlic. Cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently (OPTIONAL). Spoon into a bowl; stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar.
NOTE: USING A FOOD PROCESSOR TO CHOP & COMBINE INGEDIENTS SAVES HEAPS OF TIME****

Combine chopped tomatoes, shallot mixture, cheese, basil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well.

Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff about 2 tablespoons cheese mixture into each pocket. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.

Heat spray olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons sauce)

CALORIES (little less because i omitted sauce) 296 (23% from fat); FAT 7.6g (sat 3g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 43.8g; CHOLESTEROL 105mg; CALCIUM 62mg; SODIUM 787mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.3g

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

Baked Salmon with Dill (Couldn''t be simpler or tastier)

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 lemon wedges
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place fish on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray; lightly coat fish with cooking spray. Sprinkle fish with dill, salt, and pepper. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with lemon wedges.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 1 lemon wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 263(54% from fat); FAT 15.8g (sat 3.2g,mono 5.7g,poly 5.7g); PROTEIN 28.2g; CHOLESTEROL 80mg; CALCIUM 20mg; SODIUM 313mg; FIBER 0.0g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 0.1g

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

Arugula Salad with Shrimp and Grapes (yum arugula)

Dressing:
1/3 cup seedless green grapes
1 tablespoon Champagne or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh Vidalia or sweet onion (optional)
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash of white pepper

Salad:
3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup diagonally cut celery
5 cups trimmed arugula
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (i sub goat for personal preference)
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts, lightly toasted (i sub almonds)
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
To prepare salad, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp; cook 1 minute. Add celery; cook 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water; pat dry.

Place shrimp mixture, arugula, grapes, and basil in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to coat. Top with cheese and walnuts.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 163(27% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 1.3g,mono 1.2g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 13.4g; CHOLESTEROL 105mg; CALCIUM 106mg; SODIUM 271mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.6g

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

White Bean and Roasted Chicken Salad (i heart cannellini beans)

Salad:
2 cups coarsely chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken (sometimes, i just grill chicken breasts)
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/3 cup sliced fresh basil
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained

Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
To prepare salad, place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir gently to combine.
To prepare dressing, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad, tossing gently to coat.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 369(25% from fat); FAT 10.1g (sat 2g,mono 5.7g,poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 29.2g; CHOLESTEROL 45mg; CALCIUM 117mg; SODIUM 342mg; FIBER 9.6g; IRON 4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41.5g

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Chicken Souvlaki (a once a week meal in our house - so delicious)

4 pieces flat bread or pitas (sometimes just for hubby)
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup crumbled Feta
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 small cucumber, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh dill

Heat oven to 200° F. Wrap the bread in foil and place in oven.

In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, Feta, and olives.

In a large bowl, combine the oregano, thyme, pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vinegar, and the lemon juice. Slowly add 4 tablespoons of the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly until incorporated. Pour 2 1/2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the tomato mixture, toss, and set aside. Add the chicken to the remaining vinaigrette, toss, and set aside. WARNING: YOU WILL BECOME ADDICTED***

Heat grill pan on medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken but not the liquid to the grill and heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, dill, and the remaining vinegar. Spread the bread with some of the yogurt sauce and top with the chicken. Add the tomato salad and fold.

Tip: Greek souvlaki traditionally calls for lamb, but you can also make it with chicken breasts, turkey cutlets, or shrimp.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 606.03(43% from fat); FAT 29.53g (sat 8.1g); PROTEIN 40.87mg; CHOLESTEROL 105.18mg; CALCIUM 297.75mg; SODIUM 846.49mg; FIBER 3.16g; CARBOHYDRATE 43.17g; IRON 4.15mg

NOTE: less calories and carbs if you control pita consumption

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

Oven Roasted Broccoli with Lemon, Chili-Garlic Oil and Parmesan (compliments of pinchmysalt blog)

1 bunch of broccoli
¼ C. extra virgin olive oil (obviously cut it down)
3 cloves garlic, smashed
chilie sauce (optional)
Juice of ½ lemon
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

1. Heat the oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat. Make sure the heat is low and that the garlic is not cooking too fast. Set timer for five minutes.

2 While garlic oil is heating, wash and cut your broccoli into pieces. I cut the flowerets into halves and/or quarters and leave a couple inches of stem attached to each piece.

3. After the oil and garlic has heated for five minutes (the garlic should be turning golden brown, not burning!), add the crushed chili if using, heat for an additional couple of minutes then turn off stove.

4. Pour chili-garlic oil into a large, heat-proof mixing bowl then add the broccoli.

5. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the bowl then add a pinch of coarse salt (keep in mind that the cheese will add more saltiness) and several grinds of black pepper (if you don’t have a pepper grinder, why not??).

6. Toss everything together well with a big wooden spoon so that each piece of broccoli has a thin coating of oil.

7. Using tongs, so that the excess oil drains off, remove the broccoli to a rimmed baking sheet and spread it out in a single layer.

8. Place broccoli in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. If your oven tends to be hot, check the broccoli earlier. If you like it to be extra tender, leave it in longer. At 10 minutes, the broccoli will have started to caramelize on the bottom and may even look a little burnt but don’t worry, it will taste good!

9. While the broccoli is roasting, grate some fresh Parmesan cheese (I prefer parmigiano reggiano).

10. When the broccoli is done to your liking, immediately toss it with as much cheese as you desire and enjoy!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Chicken Vesuvio (for 2)

1 cup frozen peas
2 tspns EVOO
1 russet potato
2 6 oz. chicken breasts
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tspn salt
1 tspn pepper
1 tblspn oregano
2 tblspns parsley
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 can chicken stock

Preheat oven to 375. Blanch peas (place in boiling water for 1 minute and then rinse with cold water to stop cooking). Peel potato and quarter. Heat EVOO in dutch oven over medium heat. Add potatoes and saute until golden brown (about 8 minutes). Remove potatoes. Add chicken and garlic, saute (both sides). Deglaze pan w/ wine and reduce (by heating) to 1/2. Add potatoes back to pan and season w/ salt, pepper, oregano, parsley. Add chicken stock and place covered pan in oven for 15-20 minutes.

Serves 2.

Calories: 357 Fat: 8.5

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Dinner tonight was a CL recipe, slightly modified. It was so delicious and the Italian husband approved again, which is just fantastic news! I cut in 1/2 but here is the entire recipe (without my modification, which is noted at the end)

Parmesan Polenta w/ Sausage and Mushrooms
3 (3-ounce) links hot turkey Italian sausage
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried basil
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
4 cups water
1 cup instant polenta (such as Contadina)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Pierce sausages; cut each diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Add the wine and mushrooms; cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove sausage from pan. Cook the mushroom mixture over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in the basil and tomatoes; cook 1 minute or until heated. Return sausage to pan; keep warm.
While sauce is simmering, prepare polenta. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in polenta, garlic powder, sugar, and salt. Reduce heat to low; cook until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in cheese. Serve with sausage mixture.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup sauce and 3/4 cup polenta)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 288(30% from fat); FAT 9.5g (sat 3.3g,mono 3.6g,poly 2.4g); PROTEIN 18.2g; CHOLESTEROL 58mg; CALCIUM 95mg; SODIUM 689mg; FIBER 1.6g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 35.1g

Notes: I added 1/2 cup of diced sweet onions and a teaspoon of minced garlic, sauted in the hot oil for about 3 minutes before adding sausage. I used porcini mushrooms, simply because they''re my favorite. So my calorie count is a bit higher (due to mushrooms and garlic) but it added a ton of flavor, for just a tiny bit of calories.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is a side dish recipe for carrots that is seriously divine. my friend made it for our xmas party and i had to have it...i''ve made it at least 3x since then. it''s FAST and easy and it''s really yummy. and it easily reheats for leftovers. These were a huge hit at my family holiday party as well!

Glazed Lemon Carrots

1 lb baby carrots
1 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon sugar

Steam carrots for 10 minutes. Drain water and leave carrots in pot. Mix in butter, lemon juice, zest and sugar, cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat stirring continuously. Other ingredients will mix in with carrots. Serve immediately.

If you like your carrots a bit softer, do 15 minutes steaming (or for a double recipe etc)

10 servings
47 calories each
(I typically eat about 2 servings, the servings are about 3 oz)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this tonite on the Rachel Ray show..I don't typically watch it but they had a recipe that looked interesting...it's for Cognac Pepper Steaks..yum!

I looked it up online and then calculated calories. If you use a lower calorie cut of steak like a tri-tip or sirloin cut or a london broil the calories are less than something like a rib eye etc. They had a really yummy salad too but when I calculated it up it was crazy on calories due to dressing being basically carmelized onions and a bunch of evoo. As much as I love evoo I don't like 4-5 tablespoons in my salad!! Anyhow the steak looked SUPER yummy on TV so I think we might try it on Sunday night with a healthier salad version.

COGNAC PEPPER STEAKS

Two 6-oz steaks (depending on your cut, tri-tip, sirloin or broil is lean), 1 inch thick
Salt
1 heaping tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 shot of cognac
3/4 cup beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

Season the steaks with salt, then sprinkle one side of each with the pepper and press it in with your fingers. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a spray of olive oil. Let the skillet get hot. Add the steaks, peppered side down, and cook for 4 minutes to sear. Turn and cook an additional 2 minutes for medium-ish.

Transfer the steaks from the skillet to a plate and cover them loosely with a piece of foil to keep them warm while they rest. Return the skillet to the heat and add a drizzle of oil. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Saute, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the cognac, then carefully return it to the burner and let it flame up. Be sure to stand back. You might need to tip the pan toward the flame to get it to ignite. Do not let the contents spill onto the burner. Once the flame dies down add the beef stock and the cream. Increase heat to high and cook until it is lightly thickened. Pour sauce over the steaks and garnish with fresh cut parsley for color.

Servings: 2. Depending on the cut of meat you use (aka a top sirloin is 160 cals for 3oz while tri tip is 155 cals for 3oz etc)...using a lean beef I estimated about 450 cals per serving. You could also have smaller cuts of beef or one smaller and one larger etc. Adjust estimations accordingly.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Shrimp and Linguine

3/4 pound uncooked shell-on medium shrimp (about 20-30), peeled, deveined and tails removed
3/4 cup coarsely chopped carrots (2 medium)
2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup sliced green onions with tops
1/3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
8 ounces uncooked linguine
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed (I used 3, we like more garlic)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt (*I thought this was a lot, so I would recommed adding salt to your taste)
1/4 coarsely ground black pepper
Additional grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Peel and devein shrimp; remove tails. Coarsely chop carrots. Dice tomatoes and slice green onions.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Return pasta to casserole; cover and keep warm.
3. Heat oil in large saute pan, add shrimp, carrots, and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat, 3-4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink; remove from skillet and keep warm.
4. Gently heat sour cream and evaporated milk in same skillet over low heat and whisk slowly. (Do not boil). Stir in parmesan cheese. Add shrimp mixture, tomatoes, green onions, basil, salt and black pepper; mix gently. Pour shrimp and vegetable mixture over pasta; toss gently to coat. Serve with additional parm cheese, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings
Calories 300
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 3.5 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
Carbohydrate 37 g
Protein 22 g
Sodium 220 mg
Fiber 2 g

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Here's tonight's dinner recipe, and can I just say YUMMY! It was absoultely delicious. It's a CL recipe; I made a few substitutions/changes that are noted at the bottom.

Coconut Curried Chicken

1 1/2 cups water, divided
2/3 cup uncooked couscous
1 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
2 teaspoons bottled minced ginger
1 teaspoon green curry paste
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon lime juice
Lime wedges (optional)

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, and cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
While couscous cooks, combine 1/2 cup water, coconut milk, and next 6 ingredients (through curry paste), stirring well with a whisk.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done, turning once. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add peas, onion, and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add coconut milk mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Add chicken and lime juice to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over couscous; garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup couscous)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 361(18% from fat); FAT 7.2g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.8g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 34.4g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 39mg; SODIUM 778mg; FIBER 4.4g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.1g

Kimberly's Notes: I replaced the water w/ chicken stock (edited as I typed this backwards!). I left out the mushrooms and added more onions and peas. It was absolutely delicious (actually better than the "full fat" version I made a few months back). DH loved it as well. If you hated polenta couscous is probably not your thing (think small, grainy rice).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results