shape
carat
color
clarity

WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes Here!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
KimberlyH,

That recipe sounds divine. I loooove curry, but it''s usually so fattening! I will DEF be making that this week
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a recipe I made last nite. At first I thought that it was too moist and would be sticky and icky but the otatmeal and bran absorbed the moisture and they came out great. In the future I could probably even add more applesauce and and a 2nd egg white the way I had originally but had not used it all because it seemed like everything was WAY too moist. But in the end they bake up great and even got compliments from mr. typically 'it needs more sugar' Greg...hehee.

APPLESAUCE OAT BRAN MUFFINS
1 1/3 c. toasted oat bran
3/4c quaker non-instant oatmeal
1/4c white whole wheat flour
splenda/sweet leaf/sugar sub (2 packets)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 egg white
1/4c milk
1 teaspoon honey
1c unsweetened applesauce

Mix dried ingredients in one bowl. Mix wet ingredients (and splenda) in the other. Make a well in the dried ingredients bowl and pour the wet in. Fold in gently, do not overmix. Spoon into muffin cups and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Makes 7 muffins (or 6 extremely large ones as mine were pretty big at 7 but still had a tiny bit more room in the cups, lol)

Each muffin contains 146 calories, 2.5g of fat, 6.3 fiber, 3.4g sugars, 8.2g protein. YUM!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
another recipe...

This is from Hungry-Girl...I kept seeing her recommend these muffins/brownies in her Yahoo articles, I decided to finally make them & MAN were they good!!! The best part is that I miscalculated the calories and they ended up being like 100 cals each less, which is like a big bonus, haha. I also love that they have some fiber from the pumpkin.

Seriously..if you want a moist chocolatey brownie without a huge calorie sinkhole, try them. I dusted mine with powdered sugar to just add a touch of color (if white is a color) to the chocolate. Everyone that has tried them has loved them. Greg has taken them for 'breakfast' each morning this week!

Yum Yum Chocolate Muffins

1 box devil’s food cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions:
Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular (mine were large!) or 36 mini muffins.

1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 180 calories, 2.5g fat, 37 carbs, 2.5g fiber, 2.5g protein - 3 WW points

Note: You can also make these as brownies in a brownie pan I guess.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a soup I made tonight, very yummy and effortless to boot!

Tomato lentil soup (serves 4)

spray of EVOO
1 medium brown onion
2 medium carrots
2 sticks celery, sliced
1 cup red lentils
1 can 400g tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
3 cups watrer
2 tbsp reduced salt tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley to garnish
4x2cm thick sliced breadstick

Spray EVOO in pot, add onions, carrots and celery. Saute until onion is translucent.

Add lentils, canned tomatoes, stock, water and tomato paste. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 30mins. Season with salt and pepper.

Garnish with parsley and serve with breadstick.

Per serve = 279 calories, 2g fat.

Note: I added a dash of cayenne pepper to spice it up a little because we like our soups spicy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We love mexican restaurant nachos, so here is the replica version we are trying at home this wkd. whenever we go to this one place we love, this is exactly how they serve them! Probably minus the 2% cheese and light SC tho...hehe.

Yummy Lighter Nachos
2 oz your option of tortilla chips (aka blue chips, regular, etc): ~36 chips: 280 cals
3/4 cup spicy jalapeno refried beans: 170 cals
2 tablespoons Knudsen light sour cream: 30 cals
1/4 cup, 2% cheddar shredded cheese: 80 cals
3/4c cup shredded iceberg lettuce: 5 cals
2 tablespoons your favorite salsa: 10 cals
Total: 575 calories
Serves 4: 144 cals per serving.

Place the chips around a bakeable flat platter in a circular manner so that they are all laid out almost individually. Spoon refried beans from the can onto each chip. Sprinkle cheddar onto each chip as well. Bake in 350 degree oven for ~5 minutes til cheese is melted and beans are warm. Remove from oven, and sprinkle iceberg lettuce onto each chip. Top with dollops of sour cream and salsa onto each (or put each into a small bowl and let people put their own on). Serve!

You can also modify the measurements as you see fit, aka salsa is very low in cals and so is the light sour cream, so add more or less as you desire. The jalapeno beans give it just a alittle kick so you don''t need other peppers, but add some if you want. Also if you feel hungry, this could easily serve 2 for a fun dinner with some sangria!!

Enjoy!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Made this tonite...and it was a huge hit with the hubby (and me too!). I really loved it. It was a beautiful color too with the creamy looking egg noodles and the greens and reds from the veggies. It's a very light dish with relatively little 'sauce' feel to it but the cayenne and garlic give it a GREAT flavor.

Pasta Primavera
2 teaspoons EVOO
6 oz sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons garlic
1/2c chicken broth
shake of red pepper flakes/cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3/4c diced tomatoes, canned, drained
1c chopped asparagus
1c chopped zucchini
1.3c chopped broccoli florets, cut small
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3ish servings (2ish oz each) wide egg noodles
chopped basil leaves
3 tablespoons shredded parmesan

1280 total calories
3 servings (aka 2 portions for greg and 1 for me, you can easily double it for 6 portions)
426 calories each

1. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in large pot for cooking the pasta.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, broth, and cream. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook at rapid simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, 10 to 12 minutes. Add salt to taste. Cover to keep warm.
4. In the meantime, add the pasta noodles to the boiling water and boil for 3-5 minutes til al dente. Add asparagus, zucchini and broccoli and cook til pasta and vegetables are tender.
5. Drain pasta and vegetables from the boiling water, and return them to empty pot. Add cream and mushroom-tomato sauce. Toss to coat all ingredients with sauce.
6. Sprinkle parmesan on, with basil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Use more or less parmesan if you desire. I added another teaspoon on my own (20 cals each teaspoon) and Greg got another 1 tablespoon! lol.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and yet another muffin recipe lol. i was waiting for these bananas to 'get super ripe' for over a week now!!

the recipe is great the way it is BUT next time i am going to add another banana for more banana flavor. i LOVE tasting banana. i got the idea for roasting from another banana muffin recipe that was posted in one of our newspapers this weekend and it is apparently a big hit so i figured why not roast them and try it!

Roasted Banana Nut Muffins
2 overripe bananas (next time i'm trying 3)
1c white wheat flour
2/3c oat bran
4 packets sweet leaf (next time i will add 5)
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4c ground walnuts
1/3c 1% milk
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon cinammon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3c applesauce

10 muffins: 137 cals, 4.2g fat, 3.1g fiber, 1.1g sugar, 5.1g protein each
(don't want 'bran' muffins? leave out the oat bran and add in more flour, but the cals are similar so i like getting the bran benefits too!!)

cut a slit down each banana and place on a cookie sheet over aluminum foil. bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until clear juice runs from the cut on the banana and skins are blackening. remove bananas from oven and leave oven on at 400.

mix egg whites, butter, sugar, applesauce and vanilla til creamy. remove skins from bananas, add bananas to mix and mash. whisk in the milk til blended.

in another bowl mix flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinammon and flax seed.

fold dry ingredients into wet, being careful not to overmix which will result in tough muffins. fold in walnuts with a few strokes as well.

spoon wet mixture (will be very moist) into muffin cups. bake at 400 for 18 minutes. makes 10 muffins (or 12 smaller ones)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Beef Stroganoff (from some website hubby found)

8 ounces uncooked dry egg noodles
1/4 pound beef tenderloin, lean beef round, or sirloin (all visible fat removed)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crushed
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup non-fat sour cream

Cook egg noodles according to package directions; drain and return to pan to keep warm.

Cut meat into thin strips, about 1/3-inch by 2-inches long. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add steak strips and sauté until medium-rare; transfer onto a warm platter; cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.

Reduce heat to low, add onion and garlic; sauté until soft. Stir in mushroom soup, mushrooms, tarragon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; simmer until mushrooms are cooked. Add sour cream and the steak strips; stir until well blended. Remove from heat and serve over cooked noodles.

Makes 4 servings.

378.7 calories 9 grams fat

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
split pea soup

1 cup dried split peas (680 cal)
1/2 cup pearl barley (330 cal)
2.5 tbsp of olive oil (300 cal)
1 cut chopped carrots (50 cal)
1/2 cup celery (10 cal) you could use more, but this was all i had!
1 cup chopped onion (60 cal)
1 small chopped shallot (15 cal)
2 cloves garlic (10 cal)
good squirt of catsup (30 cal)
pinch of powdered cayanne pepper (0 cal?)
8 cups of home-made vegetable stock** (0 cal? i couldn't find this online)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper (white pepper would probably be better, but i ran out)
pinch of dried parsley
pinch of dried oregano
(these last 2 i crushed in my hand to make finer)

**i just boiled vegetable parings that i saved from a stirfry i made a few nights before--i think it had onion skin, the top of a bell pepper, some brocolli stems, carrot tops, bok choy. you could use store-bought, but then omit the salt and just add some to taste if necessary.

1. heat olive oil in pot you're going to cook the soup in. add onions, celery, and carrots and cook 10 min on med/med-high.
2. turn down to med-low/med and then add garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, cayanne, catsup, oregano, and parsley. stir and let cook a few min while you rinse the barley and split peas in a fine sieve.
3. add barley and peas to pot, turn heat up to med-high/high
4. add stock and let come to a boil then reduce to med and let it sit, covered, for about 45 min
5. if you have an immersion blender, use it to puree the soup to your liking. OR use a regular blender. i just took out as much as would fit and blended that then put it back in the pot.
6. add 2 cups of water at this point. or more if it's thick.

total calories for pot: 1485.

this makes 6 really good-sized servings, at 248 cal per serving. if you want to make less soup, i'd use 1/3 cup barley rather than 1/2 cup, and then just add less water at the end. but it's really good and lasts days and days b/c it's all vegetarian.

we ate big bowls for dinner with whole grain bread and smart balance and some sliced tomatoes and good balsalmic vinigar and we were totally satisfied and probably under 500 cal for dinner.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Indian-Spiced Pork in Tomato Sauce
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 cups chopped onion (1 medium)
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons sugar
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pounds boneless pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Cooking spray
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
4 cups (1 1/2 pounds) baking potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Heat first 7 ingredients in a dry skillet over medium heat about 3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring often. Transfer spice mixture to blender or food processor; add onion, vinegar, ginger, sugar, and garlic; process 2 minutes or until well blended.

Combine pork and spice mixture in a glass bowl, tossing to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes.

Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add half of pork mixture; cook 5 minutes or until pork begins to brown, stirring often. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat process with cooking spray and remaining pork. Add broth to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add pork mixture to pan. Stir in potato, salt, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until potato is cooked and pork is tender, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 383(26% from fat); FAT 10.7g (sat 3.9g,mono 4.6g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 36.1g; CHOLESTEROL 90mg; CALCIUM 93mg; SODIUM 611mg; FIBER 5g; IRON 3.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the burgers we made last nite, DIVINE. I think Greg said about 4 times while he was eating them that they were so good. Hehe.
The recipe was in Shape last year...they also have one for Gorgonzola Stuffed Burgers that we are going to try at some point soon. But for now, try these!!

Asian Chicken Burgers w/Wasabi Ketchup Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Serves 4, Halve recipe for 2 burgers

1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray
4 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
4 whole-wheat rolls (I got Sara Lee heart healthy wheat which is 110 cals per hamburger bun, the lowest one I found)

1. In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients well. Shape mixture into 4 patties, each about 1 inch thick.

2. Coat a large grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and set pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add burgers and cook 5-6 minutes per side, until cooked through. (We made ours inside in a flat pan and they came out great. Get the pan hot and form the burgers in your hand and then put them on right away to get them seared, as the mix is very sticky because there are no breadcrumbs in it)

3. Meanwhile, mix ketchup and wasabi paste (or powder) well in a small bowl. (I used double the wasabi powder as I kept tasting it and it wasn't spicy enough)

4. Place burgers on toasted whole-wheat rolls and top with ketchup mixture. Serve with side of homemade baked fries or Alexa frozen potatoes and a green salad.

Nutrition score per serving (1 burger, 1 tablespoon wasabi ketchup): 261 calories, 31% fat (9 g; 2.3 g saturated), 41% carbs (27 g), 28% protein (18 g), 4 g fiber, 57 mg calcium, 1.4 mg iron, 792 mg sodium.

MARA NOTES:

*I used more like 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp soy sauce for only 2 burgers as we like our flavors, and I also added some Chinese Five Spice. Very flavorful.

*The nutrition score is for using ground chicken "breast" or turkey breast. My store only had 'ground chicken' and not breast so my calorie count for 1 burger was more like 380ish with bun and wasabi ketchup. To keep my counts lower, I made Greg a much larger burger than mine so with my smaller burger it was more like 330ish for 1 burger, with bun and wasabi ketchup. To compare, the ground chicken was 180 cals for 4 oz and the ground chicken breast would have been about 110 for 4oz. However, our burgers were SUPER juicy and I am not sure if they would be as fabulous with the more lean chicken breast, so just something to throw out there in consideration. Next time I will try them with ground breast if I can find it. Lastly, the article mentioned in the mag that ground turkey is the driest meat for burgers which I did not know, so I would highly recommend trying this one with chicken rather than turkey, because it really surprised us with how flavorful and juicy it was. I could have eaten the burger without the bun easily.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Tamale Pie

3/4 pound extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 2/3 cups canned kidney beans (one 15-ounce can), drained and rinsed
2 cups tomato sauce (one 15-ounce can)
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
1 Tbsp chili powder or more, to taste
1/2 tspTabasco sauce
1 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup reduced fat Cheddar cheese*, grated
Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

Brown beef in a nonstick skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, black olives, chili powder, and Tabasco sauce, and stir to combine. Transfer bean mixture to a 10x 10-inch (25x25cm) casserole dish that has been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray.

Combine cornmeal, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture is thick (about 10 minutes).

Ladle cornmeal over meat and bean mixture and flatten with a spoon.

Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.

Return to oven and cook for another 10 minutes, until the cheese melts.

Nutrition Facts
Calories: 335
Total Fat: 12g
% Calories from fat: 31%
Protein: 20g
Carbohydrate: 38g
Cholesterol: 41mg
Sodium: 1077mg

Notes: We added a can of diced green chiles, eliminated the tabasco (we didn''t have any) and used park skim mozerella instead of cheddar. YUM-O!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Grilled Lime Chicken with Black Bean Sauce

Grilled Chicken Ingredients:
Juice of 4-5 limes (NOTE: we used four and it was plenty!)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup+ (more to taste) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 red onion, halved then sliced into 1/4” strips
Black Bean Sauce Ingredients:
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
1 quart filtered water (SEE NOTE BELOW)
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic (minced and crushed - I use a garlic press)
Stems from one bunch of cilantro, chopped into 1/4” bits (approx. 1/2 cup)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 Combine the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper in a glass bowl and mix well. Trim the chicken breasts, then add to the marinade. Cover lightly and marinate, turning the chicken occasionally, for 2 hours at room temp (or overnight in the fridge).

2 Prepare Black Bean Sauce while chicken is marinating. Place beans in a large sauce-pan or soup pan, and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours. Add additional water if needed. Remove bay leaves, then transfer the bean mixture to a food processor. Process well, adding water if needed to make desired consistency. (I haven't needed to add any, and I like the sauce moderately thick).

3 Preheat oven to 350° F, and prepare grill (gas or hot coals). Place the red onion slices in the bottom of a shallow, oven-proof dish, then cover with chicken breasts and marinade. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil, then bake for 15-20 minutes (only until the chicken is opaque). Remove the chicken breasts and onions to a platter (separate them) and set aside. Save the marinade for grilling.

Optional: If you prefer the onions cooked more, heat a skillet with an additional 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook over medium heat until the onions are very soft. Drain and set aside. (We basically caramelized them. Yum!)

4 Place the chicken breasts on the grill over very hot coals or gas flame, and grill until they are thoroughly cooked but still moist (approximately 2 minutes on each side). Drizzle with remaining marinade while cooking. Remove to platter when grilled.

Serve the grilled chicken with the red onions, drizzle with the black bean sauce. Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes or fresh cilantro - or serve with a leafy green side salad - as desired.

Serves 4.

MY NOTES:
Our sauce came out WAAAAY too thin, so we wound up skimming off a lot of water and then reducing the sauce till a good thick consistency. Not sure if maybe my simmer was too low or the "quart of water" is not right in the recipe -- seems like an awful lot of liquid, doesn't it?

We made this inside on a grill pan, and it came out yummy. It's *really* flavorful -- the lime and cilantro are just intensely yummy. We served it with brown rice and some plantains, and the flavors were just perfect together. Sweet plantains, tangy limes, cilantro ... mmmm mmmm!

It's a bit time-consuming since you have to marinate for two hours and simmer for 1.5 hours, but really that's all pretty hands-off "cooking" so though it takes time, it's an easy dish to make.

This recipe is from this site: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/002010grilled_lime_chicken_with_black_bean_sauce.php -- lots of yummy-sounding (though not all healthy, I'm sure) recipes there.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I''d like to share this favorite salad--from the July 1998 Bon Appetit. Forgive me that I have no calorie information on the same. Note that the proportions listed here are for a "party" size serving, so adjust accordingly. Also, I find the all the chopping required makes for a laborious salad, but it is worth the effort. Should you use prepackaged slaw--I would recommend the one cut in strips, and not the "deli" type chopped version.

Super Slaw

5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut into matchstick sized size strips
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick size strips
8 green onions, cut inot matchstick size strips
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing

6 Tblsp. rice vinegar
6 Tblsp. EVOO
5 Tblsp. creamy peanut butter (NOTE: I always eliminate this ingredient, and the dressing remains delicious)
3 Tblsp. soy sauce
3 Tblsp. (packed) golden brown sugar
2 Tblsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
1.5 Tblsp. minced garlic
couple of turns fresh ground salt and pepper

Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Note: this dressing can be made a day ahead of time, just cover and chill. Combine vegetables for slaw, add dressing and toss. Serve immediately.

cheers--Sharon

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
We made these tonight, and OH SO GOOD!! Super-flavorful. We both said they were better than most restaurant quesadillas we''ve had. This recipe is a definite keeper!!

From the new issue of Cooking Light:

Hot-Smoked Salmon Quesadillas

Cotija is a salty aged Mexican cheese. Shredded Monterey Jack helps hold the quesadillas together.
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4.5-ounce) package hot-smoked salmon, flaked
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated cotija cheese
6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
Cooking spray
3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Lime wedges (optional)
Combine 2 tablespoons juice, onion, and next 5 ingredients (through salmon), stirring well. Combine cheeses. Divide half of cheese mixture evenly among 3 tortillas. Top each tortilla with about 1 1/3 cups bean mixture. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Top with remaining 3 tortillas.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 1 quesadilla in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove and keep warm. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining cooking spray and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla in half; cut each half into 3 wedges.

Combine remaining 1 tablespoon juice, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, and salt; toss gently. Serve with quesadillas. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 quesadilla wedges and 1/4 cup avocado mixture)

NUTRITION PER SERVING

CALORIES 422(31% from fat); FAT 14.3g (sat 5.6g,mono 5.1g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 21.1g; CHOLESTEROL 38mg; CALCIUM 157mg; SODIUM 957mg; FIBER 10g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.6g
MY NOTES

* We found fat-free tortillas at WF -- can''t tell the difference at all.
* We used frozen TJ''s corn, which is sooo sweet and yummy!
* Didn''t use jalapeno -- don''t think it''d be necessary since there''s so much flavor in all the other ingredients.
* Only could find the smoked salmon in a can, not a package. The can was 3.5 oz, not 4.5 as called for, but I think 3.5 was the perfec amt. because it''s a really strong flavor.
* Used Fage 2% instead of sour cream
9.gif

DELICIOUS!
36.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, for some reason, I can''t seem to edit the previous post so I''m sorry for adding a non-recipe post here, but I wanted to clarify what hot-smoked salmon is for those who don''t know (I didn''t!):

According to CL: "As the name implies, the fish is cooked over a smoldering fire until the texture is firm and the taste is similar to that of smoked bacon. It''s available caned or filleted near the seafood section of most marjor supermarkets. It''s different from cold-smoked salmon, which is most often thinly sliced and eaten on bagels, in salads, and used in appetizers."

In other words, it''s not lox!

OK, back to recipes.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Chicken Biryani (4 servings)

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breas
1 tbsn oil
1 tbsn cumin seeds
1 tbsn coriander
2 medium diced tomatoes
2 mediumdiced onions
1 tbsn ginger
1 tbsn garlic paste
1/2 tpsn tumeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbs green chiles
1 cup hot water
1 tbsn fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Cut chicken into 1" pieces. Heat oil in pan, add cumin and coriander. When they start popping add garlic and ginger paste, then onions until golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes, green chiles, garam masal and chicken. Cook for approx. 3 minutes. Add water, cover w/ lid and boil for 6 minutes. Garnish w/ fresh cilantro.

Calories: 400 Fat: 15 g Protein: 52 g Carbs: 11 g Fiber: 2 g

Notes: J used a can of green chiles instead of a tspn. It could have used a bit more kick, at least for us but J didn''t want to change the spices up until he became familiar with using them. The serving size was quite generous, I ended up eating about 3/4 of a serving over 1/4 cup rice so the whole meal was about 500 calories. It was delicious. Enjoy!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the original recipe (see my notes at the bottom):

Blackened Chicken Tacos w/ Grilled Avacado

4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 16 slices
Cooking spray
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup bottled low-sodium salsa (such as Green Mountain Gringo)
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Combine paprika and next 7 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl. Sprinkle paprika mixture evenly over chicken; let stand 10 minutes.
Combine juice and avocado in a medium bowl, tossing to coat. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Grill avocado 2 minutes on each side or until well marked; remove from pan.

Place chicken in pan. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Let chicken stand 5 minutes; cut chicken crosswise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices.

Warm tortillas according to package directions. Divide the chicken evenly among tortillas; top each with 2 avocado slices, 1/4 cup lettuce, 2 tablespoons salsa, 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream, and 1 1/2 teaspoons onion.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 423(25% from fat); FAT 11.6g (sat 3g,mono 5.1g,poly 2.6g); PROTEIN 45.2g; CHOLESTEROL 100mg; CALCIUM 158mg; SODIUM 675mg; FIBER 5.7g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38

KH''s Notes: I chopped the chicken prior to adding spices and cooking. I left out the sour cream and carmelized the onions by cooking them in EVOO cooking spray for about 15 minutes. We used Picante sauce. A really good, quick taco dinner. Served w/ beans and a salad.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
See notes throughout and at bottom:

Stuffed Zucchini and Red Peppers

2 tablespoons olive oil (I did not use this at all...just took a wee bit and lightly coated the cooking dish with this)
1 small onion, grated - 29 calories (Grated is key, I think...as it really blends in flavor)
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves - 7 calories
1 large egg - 100 calories
3 tablespoons ketchup - 45 calories
3 garlic cloves, minced - 15 calories
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano - 360 calories (I used an asiago, pecorino romano and parmesan mix. I think I will find a way to reduce this cal count)
1/4 cup dried plain bread crumbs - 110 calories
1 pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat - 480 calories
2 zucchini, ends removed, halved lengthwise and crosswise (I did not use)
1 short orange bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 short red bell pepper, halved and seeded 45 cal (I used red only)
1 short yellow bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (I used Emerils gaahlic sauce) - 80 cal per half cup.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Lightly drizzle the olive oil into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Whisk the onion, parsley, egg, ketchup, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese and bread crumbs. Mix in the turkey. Cover and refrigerate the turkey mixture.

Using a melon baller or spoon, carefully scrape out the seeds and inner flesh from the zucchini, leaving 1/8-inch-thick shells. Be careful not to pierce through the skin. Fill the zucchini and pepper halves with the turkey mixture, dividing equally and mounding slightly. Arrange the stuffed vegetables in the baking dish. Pour the marinara sauce over the stuffed vegetables.

Bake uncovered until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown and a thermometer inserted into the filling registers 165 degrees F, about 45 minutes. Transfer the stuffed vegetables to a platter and serve.

Total calories - about 1430. 6 servings 238.5 each if you use red pepper halves and the full 1.5 cups sauce.

Notes: I only used the red pepper. Thought using the zucchini would be a waste of the zucchini meat. I felt no need to drizzle the pan with all that EVOO so I saved those calories. I cut the red peppers lengthwise and stuffed. It was shallower that way and only needed about 35-40 minutes to cook. I also topped them before cooking with 2-3 tablespoons of emeril''s sauce...very flavorful!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
I am posting the recipe we made this weekend. I saw one recipe that has the calorie count, but I did not have all the ingredients, so I made the other recipe that does not have the calories but it is close enough to the first to guage the calories that way. It is really delicious....we put it over the lower carb, higher fiber pasta (the one with omega-3s)...
Oh, and it takes about 25 minutes start to finish...I like quick recipes with under 10 ingredients....

Hope you enjoy,

M

-----FIRST IS THE ONE WE ACTUALLY MADE

THAI CHICKEN STIR-FRY WITH SPICY
PEANUT SAUCE
2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned & cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. water
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 to 4 c. sliced broccoli or spinach
In a small bowl, blend peanut butter, water, soy sauce and sugar; set aside. In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add garlic and pepper; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add chicken, stir-fry until firm and white, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli or spinach, stir-fry until bright green, about 3 minutes. Stir in peanut butter mixture. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. Serves 4.

-----THIS ONE IS THE ONE WITH THE CALORIES
A thick peanut sauce makes this dish rich and satisfying. It''s great served at room temperature or cold; add a touch of warm water to loosen the noodles if serving cold.
5 ounces uncooked Japanese curly noodles (chucka soba)
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
1 pound chicken breast tenders
1 1/2 cups red bell pepper strips
1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through crushed red pepper) in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken; sauté 4 minutes. Add bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine chicken mixture and noodles in a large bowl.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 15 seconds. Stir in broth mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the broth mixture and 1/4 cup green onions to noodle mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup green onions.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 353(28% from fat); FAT 10.9g (sat 2g,mono 4.3g,poly 3.1g); PROTEIN 28.5g; CHOLESTEROL 53mg; CALCIUM 21mg; SODIUM 663mg; FIBER 2.3g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36g

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
**I haven''t tried this yet but plan to this weekend.. sounds good!

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drain and reserve juice
1 (1 1/3 ounce) package sugar free, unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 egg white
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9- inch round pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle parchment paper with brown sugar and spread pineapple evenly in bottom of the pan. Sprinkle dry gelatin over pineapple.

Beat egg substitute and egg white using an electric mixer on high until very thick, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Add enough water to pineapple juice to measure 1/3 cup. Beat in pineapple juice and vanilla on low speed. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt, beating until batter is smooth. Pour batter into pan.

Bake about 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately run a knife around the outside of the cake to loosen. Invert pan on a plate and carefully remove pan and parchment paper. Allow cake to cool. Slice into 8 pieces.

Makes 8 Servings
Serving Size: 1 piece
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 166
Total fat: trace (1% of calories)
Saturated fat: trace
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 280 mg
Carbohydrate: 34 grams (87% of calories)
Protein: 5 grams (12% of calories)
Dietary fiber: 1 gram

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are two recipes I made tonite...both got rave reviews from the peanut gallery.

Mashed Potatoes with Celery Root and Creamy Yogurt
The celery root gives the potatoes more flavor, and the yogurt makes them taste like there is cheese in there, our guests loved them.

Kosher Salt
2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 large celery root (.75 lbs) scrubbed and peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cloves diced garlic
1/3 shallot, finely chopped
1.5c plain lowfat or fat free yogurt, add extra if desired
1 .5 tblspoon unsalted butter
freshly ground pepper to taste
(1/4c ff milk to reheat if necessary)

Boil 4c water in large pot with salt. Add potatoes, root, and garlic. Return to boil and reduce heat to medium, cooking uncovered til potatoes and celery root are soft-15 to 20 minutes. Drain mixture in a colander. Return to pot. Add shallot, butter, and yogurt. With back of fork, smash softened potatoes and celery root against sides of pot until mostly smooth....mixture will still be lumpy. If creamy texture is desired, add more yogurt and butter and mix a bit further (do not overwhip or potatoes will get too stiff). Add salt and pepper to taste.

~8 Servings: 110 cals each, 2.3g fat, 18g carb, 2.3g fiber, 3.6g sugar, 4.4g protein.

Chocolate Pots de Creme
These came out FABULOUS and for such a low amount of calories, it's a wonderful chocolatey authentic 'dessert'. Can't wait to make them again.

2 eggs & 2 egg whites
3 tblsp unsweetened cocoa
2 tblsp sweetened ghiradelli cocoa (the recipe called for just unsweetened cocoa, but i supplemented, modify to your own taste)
3/4c fat free milk
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/4c sugar
1/3c splenda
1 tsp vanilla
Custard or pudding ramekins for baking

In a large bowl, blend eggs and whites (slightly beaten), cocoas, sugar and splenda. Heat up milk and whipping cream (or you can use a 2% blend instead of the fat free and whipping cream, that is just what I had in the fridge!) in the microwave til hot. Mix vanilla and hot milk/cream blend into cocoa sugar egg bowl, mix til smooth.

In the meantime, heat water for 'water bath' in a large saucepan on the stove. Preheat oven to 320. Put ramekins (size depends on servings, I used 4oz ones and got 4 servings) into a deep baking pan. Pour cocoa mixture into ramekins. When water in saucepan is simmering, pour it in and around the ramekins into the baking pan. Make sure to pour water up until it is at least 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekin if not a little higher. The water is to protect the custard from hardening or burning...so try to get the water as close to the level of the pudding in the ramekins as possible. Cover ramekins with aluminum foil (I just lightly laid a piece over the 4 ramekins in the pot so it didn't get in the water), put in center rack on oven, bake for 15-20 minutes. Time will depend on size of ramekins...the pots de creme are done when the sides are looking firm and baked but the center is still a little jiggly. Remove from heat, uncover, remove from the water bath and let ramekins cool to room temperature. Then cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate for at least two hours, ideally more like 3-4 and up to 2 days.

Total calories: 705; 4 servings at 175 calories each.
Serve with fat free whipped and chocolate shavings if desired.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh one thing i forgot to add in the recipe up above, doh!!

the chocolate pots de creme have one more key ingredient.

2 tablespoons of very strong brewed coffee. you mix it in with the cocoa before the milk. this definitely adds more flavor!!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Seriously simple and delicious (by Orangette)

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 ½ tsp. olive oil
A pinch of salt
¼ cup loosely packed shredded Parmigiano Reggiano

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir gently to mix. Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve immediately, or chill, covered, until serving.

Total calories: 490. Protein: 25.5. Fiber: 14. However, there are between 2 to 3 servings...

***NOTE*** I stumbled upon this encahnting food blog just a little over a week ago. If you are watching your weight, tend to use lots of lite, reduced, non-fat products, well then you should think twice about visiting her website. She is NOT a calorie counter. But, she will captivate you with her wonderous stories and marvelous recipes and before you know it you''ll have made macaroons, bouchons au thon and this divine little salad. Sure there is some healthier fare, but those baked delights are mighty tempting indeed. You can''t say I didn''t warn you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this recipe yesterday on Cooking Light but made my own adaptations to it to basically almost cut the cals in half yet not lose taste...made them today and they came out absolutely WONDERFUL. I have already given a bunch away and eaten one or two myself ... hehee. They are pretty sweet, next time I might bring down the splenda/brown sugar mix a tiny bit and save a bit on calories since that was a large amount of cals (the regular recipe called for 1 1/4c of brown sugar, mega cals!) but really yummy. They make a great dessert at night with some tea!

Chewy Coconut-Granola Bars

Cooking spray
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3/4c white wheat flour (or a blend of regular white and wheat)
1/4c quaker regular oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons splenda and brown sugar mix
2/3c unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons fat-free milk
1/3c egg whites
1 1/2 cups low-cal granola (this is where it can vary as depending on granolas they can run from 130 for 1/2c to 240 for 1/2c depending on what is in them...i used a pumpkin flax granola that i got from trader joes, some organic brand that is 140cals for 1/2c....one of the lowest i have found and i love pumpkin and flax!)
1/4c cranberries (the original recipe called for a mixed dried fruit variety...but i had cranberries and raisins in the pantry and they worked great)
1/4c golden raisins
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 tablespoon honey for drizzling

Makes 20 square small bars.

Nutrition estimates per bar: 89 calories each; 2g fat; 16gcarb, 1.5g fiber, 7.1 sugar, 1.7g protein

Preheat oven to 350°.
Coat an 8x11 baking pan/dish with cooking spray; dust with 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour. Lightly spoon 2/3c flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine sugar blend, applesauce, milk, and eggs in a large bowl; beat until smooth. Add flour mixture, mixing in until well-blended. Fold in granola and fruit. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with coconut. Drizzle with honey. Bake at 350° for 20-23 minutes or until coconut is golden. Cool on a wire rack then cut when cool.

Notes: As noted above...you can use diff flours, also I added oatmeal, the origina recipe didn''t have it but I just love oatmeal! Also I added the honey for drizzling since it just seemed like a perfect thing to add for a bit of sweetness. I actually added it under the coconut but I think it might look prettier next time on top (but you can do it either way!)..also depending on the granola you use and fruits you use the flavor might change a bit. But overall a real winner.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is from the April 2006 issue of CL...I used a little less parmesan in the patties and did not shave any for the tops. They were yummy served with a little sweet garlic mustard.

Arborio Rice, Parmesan, and Green Pea Pancakes

Cooking spray
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
2 3/4 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 teaspoons canola oil
Thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in peas and grated cheese; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
Combine egg whites and egg in a large bowl. Add rice mixture, stirring until blended.

Heat oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/2 cup rice mixture per pancake onto hot pan, spreading each to a 4-inch diameter. Cook 6 minutes on each side or until the bottoms are browned. Garnish with shaved cheese, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 pancakes)

CALORIES 224 (31% from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 2.7g,mono 3.2g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 11.7g; CHOLESTEROL 115mg; CALCIUM 142mg; SODIUM 677mg; FIBER 2.7g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 26.4g

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a recipe I made for us tonite, Greg ate almost 2/3 of the dish!! So it was a hit. And I have to admit I really liked it...I am typically not a huge turkey sausage fan but this all really worked well together. I got the original recipe from cooking light, but modified the sauce to my taste a little more. So here''s the one I made...for 4 servings (or for us more like 3 servings, 2 for him and one for me!). It fit in a square baker dish perfectly.

Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage and Tomatoes
1/2lb package uncooked ziti (4 servings)
1/2lb (2 links) hot turkey italian sausage links (I used JennieO which came with 5 links so we have leftovers in the freezer)
1/3c chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3c emerils kicked up tomato sauce
1 can petite diced tomatoes (I drained most of the liquid out though the original recipe called to leave it in...)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
2/3c shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese (the one I use is 1/3c for 80 cals, some are 1/4c for 80 cals, a little less for more cals)
1/2c grated fresh shredded parmesan
fresh shredded basil for serving

410 cals each serving; 4 square large servings

Preheat oven to 350°.

For the meat:
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, dried basil and oregano, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I made the sauce 4-5 hours beforehand and let it sit in the fridge because from my experience, sauces like this with meats in them get more tasty after the meats soak up more of the liquid and thicken a bit. You could also make it in the crockpot and let it sit (browning the meat first in a skillet) for a few hours.)

For the pasta:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta, and set aside.

Assembly:
When ready to bake, combine cooked pasta and sausage mixture. Place half of the pasta mixture in a square casserole or baking dish. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layer. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a little bubbly. Serve topped with shredded basil and additional parm if desired.

Mara Notes: Next time I might use a bit more of the tomato sauce (Emerils) or leave more of the diced tomato water in and see how that changes it. But this one was still good and the meat sauce SUPER flavorful. I would totally use this same sauce with the turkey sausage for a spaghetti sauce or maybe for my lasagna next time!! As I mentioned above I made the sauce 4-5 hours before and let it sit in the fridge to thicken a bit.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Beef Tenderloin w/ Pepper and Mustard Sauce

4 4 oz. beef tenderloin steaks
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
EVOO spray
2 diced shallots
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup dijon mustard

Heat oil in an iron skillet. Sprinkle pepper and salt over tenderloin. Cook 5 minutes on each side. In a sauce pan, heat EVOO spray, saute shallots for 5 minutes. Add broth, brandy and mustard, stir. Top steaks w/ sauce and serve.

Calories per steak: 279 Fat 10

The sauce was really light and John described it as tasting French. The meat tasted delicious! I served it with a salad and Italian brocolli.

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have any "quick and easy" light recipes? We''re lazy! The most amount of time we''ll take to cook something for dinner is 15-20 mins... The George Forman gets used quite a bit! Lots of grilled chicken or steaks for us, but it''d be nice to branch out if anyone has any ideas??

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 12:49:32 PM
Author: Becky P
Anyone have any 'quick and easy' light recipes? We're lazy! The most amount of time we'll take to cook something for dinner is 15-20 mins... The George Forman gets used quite a bit! Lots of grilled chicken or steaks for us, but it'd be nice to branch out if anyone has any ideas??

Hey Becky,

This recipe is from Cooking Light and it is *yummy* and superfast! I don't make the chipotle ketchup though, we just use regular boring ketchup, so I don't know how much longer that would add to the process but without that step, this takes like 15 minutes tops. They're even good leftover cold!
18.gif

Cilantro Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup

1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/4 cup (1 ounce) preshredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound ground turkey
Cooking spray

1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
4 (2 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns
4 red leaf lettuce leaves

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/3-inch-thick patty.
Heat a large grill pan or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey patties, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.

Remove 1 chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can. Reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Mince the chile. Combine chile, adobo sauce, and ketchup.

Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each patty with 1 tablespoon chipotle ketchup and 1 lettuce leaf. Cover with top halves of buns.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 406(30% from fat); FAT 13.6g (sat 4.3g,mono 4g,poly 3.7g); PROTEIN 26.6g; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; CALCIUM 229mg; SODIUM 977mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 4.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.5g

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results