shape
carat
color
clarity

WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes Here!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Haven''t tried these but they sound good...

Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins
They glisten like sticky buns, but they''re whole-grain muffins packed with pineapple, raisins, and carrots. Here''s what you''ll need:
Topping
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 10-ounce can pineapple slices
Muffins
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons pineapple juice or orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple (not drained)
1 cup grated carrot (1 large)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup raisins, preferably baking raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. To prepare topping: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar into each muffin cup. Sprinkle nuts, if using, over the sugar. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.
3. To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
4. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in oil, juice, and vanilla. Stir in crushed pineapple. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in carrot, oats, raisins, and nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they''ll be quite full).
5. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch, 15 to 25 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Restore any stray pineapple pieces and nuts. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside down, either warm or at room temperature. Makes 1 dozen muffins.
Nutrition information (per muffin): 211 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat., 3 g mono.); 35 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 185 mg sodium.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got a rotisserie chicken last nite from whole foods...we ate the breasts for dinner last nite and then today i made a soup with the carcass and leftover meat. here''s the recipe, it came out really FANTASTIC. and makes a ton! Enjoy!

Roasted Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
(for the crockpot)

3 zucchini
1/2 yellow onion
1 container sliced crimini mushrooms
1/2 head napa cabbage
1/2 bag baby carrots, sliced in half
rotisserie chicken (carcass with some meat or whole cooked chicken or however much meat you want on it; carcass is def required to make the ''chicken stock'' for the soup)
water
dried spices: tarragon, thyme, parsley, 3 bay leaves
2c wild rice (cooked)
1c oyster mushrooms

It''s very easy...put the chicken on the bottom of the crockpot. Slice/chop up zucchini, onion, mushrooms, napa cabbage, carrots. Toss it all in. Fill with water up to the middle of the crockpot. Add in dried spices...you can add as much or as little as you want. I also added this Slovakian spice called Podravka (but it''s also called something else, i have seen it at specialty stores) that my neighbor gave me that is awesome in soups. It''s mostly a sodium based spice so it makes things very salty but it''s really yummy.

I put everything except the rice and oyster mushrooms in the crockpot for 6.5 hours on low...then it went to warm. When I got home I tossed in the already cooked wild rice and extra chicken I''d torn off the bird last nite (white meat which I thought about having for lunch but decided to save to make the soup more meaty). Then I quickly sauteed the oyster mushrooms in a bit of EVOO on the stovetop and when they were browned, I tossed them into the crockpot. Let it all simmer for about another 30 min, and added more spices to taste.

It was REALLY good. The above recipe can serve 4 heaping large bowlfulls or 8 smaller bowlfuls. We each had a really filling bowl tonite and there is enough left for 2 more bowls tomorrow for dinner. Nutritionals is something like 125 cals per serving (for 8 servings), 2-3g fat, ~6g fiber, and ~12g protein (depending on how much chicken you put in)...YUM.

NOTE: you can also add other types of veggies like potatoes or cauliflower (add it at the end since it will cook quite quickly) or use other variations of mushrooms as well. i like diff types of mushrooms so i like experimenting.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Black Bean Soup Recipe for sweet ChinaCat
12.gif

5 cans of Ranch Style black Beans (I like them because they aren't as firm but any brand is fine)
2 cans of cut tomatoes
1 whole yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
pinch of cumin
pinch of italian spices like oregano
1 teaspoon olive oil (or more)

I chop up an onion and in a pan put in the olive oil and saute till soft and then add in the minced garlic and let cook. In a pot I put 2 cans of the tomatoes and rinse the beans and mix in the onion/garlic, cumin and any other spices you like. I let simmer for 10-15mins. I have green onion chopped and lowfat cheddar cheese for a garnish. I am sure you can use instead of a can of tomatoes use something like RoTel tomatoes and green chilies for some kick if you like. Hope that helps and it makes like 6 or 7 servings so I freeze individual containers for a healthy meal!!!
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The above recipe is for sweet Tdiddy too!!!!!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Easy crockpot Beef Stew Recipe

1 lb of cubbed lean beef/steak
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 whole chopped onion
2 celery sticks chopped
2 cans of V8 vegetable juice
1 cup water
1 medium red potato chopped
1 tablespoon of flour
1 cup of frozen peas

I pull out my crock pot and empty the 2 cans of V8 in the pot, 1 cup of water, the onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes. I take the cubed beef and lightly flour the steak and in a frying pan spray a light amount of olive oil and then I lighty brown the beef (only takes 1 min you don't want to cook it through) and then empty it into the crockpot. I cook on low for several hours. When it is ready I throw in the peas and wait 15 mins before serving. Whenever I refrigerate leftovers there is hardly any fat to skim off the top so this makes about 5 servings.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thought I would post this b/c we make it around Thanksgiving/Christmas every year. It is a little carb heavy, but not bad on the calories/fat for a decident side dish. It is so yummy that it could pass for a dessert! Recipe came from cooking light.

Carrot Soufflé

Ingredients

7 cups chopped carrot (about 2 pounds)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.

Cook carrot in boiling water 15 minutes or until very tender; drain. Place carrot in a food processor; process until smooth. Add granulated sugar and next 7 ingredients (granulated sugar through eggs); pulse to combine.

Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until puffed and set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Yield

8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
Nutritional Information

CALORIES 187(25% from fat); FAT 5.1g (sat 2.5g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CHOLESTEROL 88mg; CALCIUM 86mg; SODIUM 233mg; FIBER 3.5g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.3g

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock

I made both of these last week. And they were DELISHOUS! The dip is made with low fat alternatives which is better then it normally would be and it is SO good! It is a great "lighter" version then the original

9.gif
Both recipes were from "Cooking Light"

Flank Steak With Corn-Tomato Relish
Ingredients
Steak:
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 whole cloves
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 (1 1/4-pound) flank steak, trimmed
Cooking spray

Relish:
2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
1 cup chopped seeded tomato
1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Preparation
To prepare steak, cook the first 3 ingredients in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat for 45 seconds or until toasted. Place the peppercorn mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
Remove 1 chile from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Place peppercorn mixture, chile, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and the next 4 ingredients (vinegar through garlic) in a blender; process until smooth, scraping sides occasionally. Combine vinegar mixture and steak in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours. Remove from bag; discard marinade.

Prepare grill or broiler.

Place steak on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.

To prepare the relish, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add corn; saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; stir in tomato and remaining ingredients except thyme leaves. Garnish with thyme, if desired.

Yield
5 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and 1/2 cup relish)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 303(44% from fat); FAT 14.9g (sat 5.2g,mono 6.7g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 25.2g; CHOLESTEROL 57mg; CALCIUM 20mg; SODIUM 634mg; FIBER 2.7g; IRON 3.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 16.5g
Caramelized Onion Dip
Make this recipe ahead so the flavors can blend and mellow. Serve with pita bread.

Ingredients
Cooking spray
3 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream, divided
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) block-style 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash of ground red pepper

Preparation
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 20 minutes (I cooked them on low for about 35 minutes) or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool.
Combine 1 tablespoon sour cream and cream cheese, stirring well. Add remaining sour cream, mayonnaise, and remaining ingredients, and stir well to combine. Stir in onion. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Yield
16 servings (serving size: 1 tablespoon)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 30(54% from fat); FAT 1.8g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.7g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CALCIUM 11mg; SODIUM 53mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 0.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.3g

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Flank Steak With Corn-Tomato Relish
Ingredients
Steak:
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 whole cloves
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
Just an edit, I just used a can of diced chiles in my dish. I looked all over for a "can of Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce" and had no luck. Shoot... I can''t even pronounce the word "Adobo" properly!
2.gif
Anyway, regular chiles work just fine!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Came across this protein drink/smoothie that looked interesting; and when I tried it I was pleasantly surprised. It was tasty!

1 c. frozen blueberries
6 oz. soft tofu
1/2 banana
2 c. apple juice
1/2 pomegranate juice

Blend together. Make 3 servings--144 calories each.

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Roasted Chicken w/Potatoes and Onions

Makes 8 servings 5 WW Pts

Ingredients

1 c low sodium chicken broth
1/2 c fresh lemon juice
2 TBS fresh tyme or dried leaves
3 TBS olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 1/2 lbs all purpose potatoes, cubed
4 onions, coarsely copped
8 (3oz) skinless bonelss chicken breast halves

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish w/nonstick spray

2. Combine the both, lemon juice, thyme, oil salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and onions, toss to coat. Then add the veggies to the baking dish. Add the chicken to the broth mixture, toss to coat. Transfer the chicken to the baking dish, arranging the chicken and veggies in a single layer. Pour the both mixture over all and cover w/foil.

3. Roast 30 mins, turning the chicken occasionally, until juices run pink when the chicken is pierced w/a fork. Remove the foil and roast 30 mins more, until the veggies are golden the the juices run chear when the chicken is pierced w/a fork.

Per serving 270 calories, 6 g fat, 3 g fiber

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Potato Leek Soup

SERVES 6
Ingredients

4 leeks
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 medium potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon mace
2 cups evaporated skim milk, chilled
6 tablespoons chopped chives
Ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
In a blender or food processor, blend the leeks and onion until finely chopped.

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped leeks and onion and saute until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the potatoes, chicken broth and mace. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender.

Pour the mixture into the blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and refrigerate.

Before serving stir in the evaporated milk. Ladle into individual bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon chives and pepper to taste. Serve cold.

Calories 238, 4 g fat, 3 g fiber = 5 WW points in a cup

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that the new year is here I am suddenly all into cooking more again, the winter weather helps too.

I saw this on Emeril on Friday and while he doesn''t typically post healthy stuff, he did a healthy show and this looked SO GOOD. We are making it tonite I think. Using trout...not sure on calories and fat and all that but it should be pretty darn light. Not using 3 tblspoons EVOO either, probably more like 1.

Baked Fish with Tomatoes, Capers, Garlic, Lemon and Rosemary over Blanched Asparagus Recipe
Show: Emeril Live
Episode: Healthy in a Hurry (NASCAR)

1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, divided
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 (4-ounce) trout fillets
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup capers, drained
2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Set a large 4-quart Dutch oven 3/4 filled with water over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and add the asparagus. Cook until the asparagus is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the asparagus from the Dutch oven and place immediately into ice water to cool. Remove from the ice water and place on a sheet pan. Season the asparagus with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the white pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place in the oven for 3 minutes to re-warm once the fish has been removed from the oven.

Season the fish fillets on both sides with the remaining salt and pepper and lay in a 11 by 7 1/2-inch casserole dish. Add the tomatoes, capers, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, rosemary and remaining olive oil to the casserole and place in the oven. Cook the fish until the flesh is lightly golden and flaky, about 10 minutes.

To serve the fish, divide the asparagus between 4 entree plates and lay a piece of fish with the tomatoes, capers, garlic and rosemary over the asparagus. Serve immediately.

NOTE: He made it look so easy. Trout in baking dish, garlic, EVOO, lemon juice, capers sprinkled all on top, diced tomatoes cover fish. Bake for something like 10 min. Roast asparagus in the oven in the meantime (or steam or however you want), then put fish on asparagus for serving. Done! Hopefully it''s tasty.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, totally forgot about posting the healthier lasagna I do here sorry!

Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Lasagna
Favorite Marinara (I usually use Bertolli Organic)
Shredded 2% colby cheese
Shredded part skim mozzerella
2% cottage cheese
Ground turkey breast (optinal)
fresh mozzerella (optinal)

Cook lasagna according to package. Heat marinara (sometimes I add sauteed mushrooms). Brown turkey and add to sauce. Layer sauce first then noodles, then cottage cheese and shredded cheese, then more sauce until you have 4 or 5 layers. Then cut up fresh mozzerella to add to top and bake covered on 350 degrees for around 40 mins. I usually take the foil off for the last 5 mins. so the cheese can melt. Hubby and son LOVE it and never knew it was cottage cheese instead of the normal ricotta!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not tried this recipe yet but it is next on the list. It sounds so yummy
3.gif

Honey crusted mustardy chicken

Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 12 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
These are baked—not fried—chicken breasts by coating them with honey mustard before dipping them into cereal crumbs.
Ingredients
1 sprays cooking spray
2/3 cup lite honey mustard dressing
1/8 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dill, freshly chopped
1 medium scallion(s), finely sliced
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4 oz pieces
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a shallow pan with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine honey mustard dressing, salt, pepper, dill and scallions; remove 1/3 cup and set aside.

Place cornflake crumbs in a shallow bowl. Dip chicken into dressing mixture and then cornflake crumbs; place in prepared pan.

Bake until chicken is golden and no longer pink in center, about 15 minutes.

Drizzle remaining dressing mixture (the 1/3 cup that was set aside) over chicken breasts and serve. Yields 1 piece of chicken and about 1 1/3 tablespoons of dressing per serving.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is very good!!! I use to make it all the time!

The secret to the success of this recipe is to make sure that both the chicken and the yogurt are very cold (hence, soaking the chicken in the ice water). The Preliminary soaking will help the breading adhere and produce a crisp coating like fried chicken.

ROSIE'S UNFRIED CHICKEN (FROM OPRAH WINFREY'S SHOW)

Light vegetable cooking oil spray
12 pieces chicken, skin removed (3 breasts cut in half and 6 drumsticks)
1 c. plain non-fat yogurt
3 1/2 c. ice water

BREADING INGREDIENTS:
1 c. Italian breadcrumbs
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. Old Bay seasoning (I use a teaspoon as it is rather salty)
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/8 t. freshly ground pepper
11/2 t. garlic powder
11/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. Creole seasoning
1/2 t. dried oregano

Preheat oven to 400°. Coat baking sheet with 3 sprays of vegetable oil. Combine chicken and ice water in a large bowl; set aside. Place yogurt in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine breading ingredients in a large, tightly sealing plastic bag and shake well to mix. Remove 2 pieces of chicken from the water. Roll each piece in the yogurt. Put chicken into plastic bag; reseal and shake thoroughly. Transfer the breaded chicken to the baking sheet and repeat this process until all pieces are breaded and on the baking sheet. Spray lightly with vegetable oil, place sheet in the bottom of the oven and bake 1 hour, turning pieces every 20 minutes to brown evenly.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Drumsticks: 4.2 grams of fat per piece; 195 calories per piece. Breasts: 2.2 grams of fat per piece; 185 calories per piece.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Pork and Green Chile Stew

2 pounds bonelss pork, cut into 1- inch cubes
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
1 cup white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
water as necesssary
20 fresh green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and chopped or 4-4 ounce cans diced greed chiles

Toss pork in flour to coat. In a dutch oven or heavy pot heat butter (or oil if you substitute), then add pork and cook until browned. Push to side of pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onion is soft, then stir pork back in.

Add tomatoes, salt, oregano and cumin. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, adding water when necessary and stirring occasionally. Add green chiles and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve over brown rice.

This recipe was so delicious, especially considering we used the cheapest cut of pork; the meat was so tender and the flavors were so simple and so delicious. We used a lot less oil than called for to replace the butter and it came out great.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Heres my fav! Its from Ellie Krieger on the food network. Its called "aromatic noodles with lime peanut sauce"

3/4 pound spinach linguine or whole-wheat spaghetti (we use normal linguine)
2 cups (about 9 ounces) broccoli florets
2 cups (about 6 ounces) snow peas, trimmed
2 cups (about 6 ounces) sugar snap peas, trimmed
1/2 cup shelled unsalted peanuts

Sauce
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 scallion, cut into pieces
3/4 inch fresh ginger, finely grated (can use powdered if need be)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

*we also blanch and toss in some carrots, as we found we didnt like the broccoli with it.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of water according to the directions on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water. While the pasta is cooking put the broccoli in a steamer basket over a large pot of boiling water and steam it for 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and sugar snap peas and steam for 2 minutes more.

Toast the peanuts in a dry pan over a medium heat until they become fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set them aside to cool. Make the sauce by pureeing the peanut butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, lime juice, scallion, ginger, sugar and red pepper flakes in a food processor or blender until smooth.

Right before serving, toss the pasta with 3/4 cup of the peanut sauce. Divide into 6 serving bowls and top each serving with the vegetables. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the vegetables. Coarsely chop the peanuts, sprinkle them on top and serve.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Calories 451
Total Fat 19 grams
Saturated Fat 3 grams
Protein 20 grams
Carbohydrates 57 grams
Fiber 8 grams

I promise it wont let ya down!
18.gif
30.gif
18.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yum, great new recipes posted above; I need to try those!
3.gif

This one I am going to try it is Weight Watchers

Broccoli or Spinach and Cheddar Quiche

6 oz pie crust, 9-inch, refrigerated
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup red onion(s), chopped
1 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 large egg(s)
2 large egg white(s)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well-drained (or spinach if you don't like broccoli)
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Press pie crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch, removable-bottom tart pan or a 9-inch pie pan; refrigerate until ready to use.

To make filling, heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl and add ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, egg, egg whites, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well and fold in broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared crust and level surface with a wooden spoon; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake until a knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving. It is 5 pts a serving and I bet it would be lower cals if you do filo dough and very little olive oil or something like that.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this recipe today on the news and it looks delicious and low cal w/lots of fiber

Bean Trio
8 to 10 servings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup sliced scallion
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, and pepper; mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and toss until evenly coated.

Chill for 1 hour before serving.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I made your recipe for Oat Bran Muffins and they are Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

I just made these and they are delicious!!!

1 large egg white
1 sweet potato
a pinch of salt
cooking spray

Turn oven on to 400 degrees. Chop up sweet potatoes and coat lightly with egg white. Spray cooking sheet, line with sweet potatoes and cook for 15 to 20 mins. Cook till brown and Nice and crisp
18.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bump for more new summer recipes.
3.gif
I might post one tonight if this recipe I make for the grilled chicken is yummy

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Summertime Risotto (www.self.com)
Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 small onion, diced
2 cups diced zucchini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 lb arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
2 to 3 cups nonfat chicken broth
2 tbsp light butter
6 tbsp grated Parmesan
18 sea scallops
1 bunch parsley, chopped (optional

PREPARATION

Tomatoes Heat oven to 250°. Gently toss tomatoes in 2 tsp oil with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake on a nonstick baking sheet 1 hour.

Zucchini Heat 1 tsp oil on medium heat in a medium pan. Cook garlic and half the onion until translucent; add zucchini and cook 5 minutes. Puree zucchini mixture in a blender with lemon juice and 1 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Risotto Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium pot on medium heat and sauté remaining onion until translucent. Add rice and cook 2 minutes. Gradually pour in wine, stirring until rice absorbs wine. Add broth 1 cup at a time until absorbed, stirring continually for 20 minutes or until rice is tender (add more broth if necessary). Once rice is cooked, stir in zucchini puree, butter and cheese. Set aside.

Scallops Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Salt and pepper scallops and cook both sides until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and sauté 5 minutes. Spoon risotto on plate and top with scallops, tomatoes and parsley.

488 calories per serving
14 g fat (3.5 g saturated)
68.5 g carbs
3 g fiber
16 g protein

summertime risotto1.jpg

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Hungry Girl''s Chicken Waldorf Salad

1 c. (about 4.5) cooked and chopped skinless chicken breast
1/2 of a seedless or persian cucumber chopped into tiny pieces
1/3 c. red seedless grapes, halved
1 small fuji apple (I like fuji, but can use whatever apple you like) chopped
1/2 of an individual plain fat-free yogurt cup, like Dannon works best
2 TBSN fat-free or low-fat mayo
1 no-calorie sweetener packet (I use sweet ''n low)
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
dash of salt

Mix together yogurt, mayo, sweetener, lemon pepper seasoning and salt.
Coat chicken in this mixture, then stir in chopped cucumber, grape halves, and chopped apple
I like to keep in the refridgerator for about 1 hr, and then eat so the mixture can get cold, but you can eat it right away as well. SO GOOD!!!!

This makes about 2 cups (enought for 2 servings, but I tend to double this recipe since both DH and I love it!)

1 c. of this stuff is 145 cals, 1.5 grams of fat, and 21 grams of protein.
18.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
This was dinner last night (from Cooking Light) and it was delicious. I substituted parmesan for jack cheese and canadian bacon for pancetta.

Risotto w/ Pancetta, Butternut Squash and Jack Cheese

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
Cooking spray
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons Madeira wine or sweet Marsala
1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
4 ounces chopped pancetta
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) 1/2-inch-cubed Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 475°.
Place squash on a nonstick jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 475° for 20 minutes or until tender, turning after 10 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 325°.

Combine broth, water, wine, and tarragon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Keep warm over low heat.

Cook pancetta in a large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove pancetta from pan; drain on a paper towel. Discard pan drippings. Add onion and oil to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add rice to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. (Do not stir; rice will have a liquid consistency similar to stew.)

Place pan in oven; bake at 325° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in the squash, pancetta, cheese, salt, and pepper. Cover with a clean cloth; let stand 10 minutes (rice will continue to cook). Sprinkle with pine nuts. Garnish with tarragon sprigs, if desired.

Yield
4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 423(30% from fat); FAT 14.2g (sat 5.5g,mono 5.6g,poly 1.9g); IRON 2mg; CHOLESTEROL 28mg; CALCIUM 235mg; CARBOHYDRATE 57.3g; SODIUM 783mg; PROTEIN 14.5g; FIBER 6.6g

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=701075

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
OLIVE STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS Hubby made this and it is delicious; we are going to make it for our friends when they come over next week!

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
4 green olives, pitted
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
4 (3 oz) thin-sliced skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1/4 inch thick)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated light brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Puree the ricotta, olives, thyme, and 2 Tablespoons of the bread crumbs in a food processor. Spread the puree over the chicken breasts and roll them up, starting at the long sides and securing closed with toothpicks. Roll the breasts in the remaining 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs to coat. Put in a baking dish, spray with olive oil, and bake until cooked through, about 25 mins.

3. Meanwhile bring the broth, vinegar, and brown sugar to a boil and boil 1 min. Cut each chicken breast into four slices. Arrange the slices on plates and serve, drizzle the sauce.

Per serving: 158 calories, 2 g Fat, 1 g Dietary fiber 23 g protein WW points per serving 3

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spinach Pie

Servings: 12
Preparation Time: 45 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Level of Difficulty: Difficult

Ingredients

18 sprays cooking spray
2 tsp olive oil
30 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed to remove excess water
1 cup onion(s), finely chopped
2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
8 oz fat-free egg substitute
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pound phyllo dough, frozen, thawed according to package directions
Instructions
Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and onion and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 5 to 7 minutes; stir in parsley and nutmeg. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add egg substitute, cheeses and salt and pepper; mix well.

Lay 1 sheet of phyllo in and up the sides of prepared pan; coat surface lightly with cooking spray. Top with 7 more sheets of phyllo, coating each layer with cooking spray. Spread spinach mixture over dough and top with 8 more sheets of dough, coating each layer with cooking spray. Roll the overhanging sides of dough into the edges of pan, forming a border.

Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares, almost through to the bottom, but not quite or the filling will leak. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake until crisp and golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting squares all the way through to the bottom. Yields 1 square per serving.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spinach Lasagna for IndyGirl

I make this often lately and it is low cal.
1.gif

I bought the no bake lasagna noodles, 1 can of spaghetti sauce (the kind you like), yellow onion, garlic, green onion, low fat Ricotta 15 oz's, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan reggiano (I keep it around since it lasts forever, not the powdered stuff), spinach and parsley.

Ingredients
6 no bake lasagna noodles
spaghetti sauce
yellow onion
garlic (3 cloves)
green onion
Spinach (I used 1 lb and steamed them and then drain)
parsley
low fat Ricotta 15 or 16 oz
mozzarella 8 oz
Parmesan (optional)

Directions

I got a pot of water boiling and then threw in the spinach and turned off the stove so they would stem down), then I poured out the water and let them sit in a strainer to drain. Then in a pan I sauteed the yellow onions and the garlic and close to the end of them being done I added the chopped green onion. I then chopped parsley about 1 cup and set it aside.

Okay, so I get out a big pan and pour sauce on the bottom or the no bake noodles are hard when they cook, I guess they soften with the sauce, then layer the noodles, then add more sauce, then the ricotta, then squeeze out the water from the spinach (I bet you could use frozen spinach just fine and less work), then pour over the 2 types of onion and garlic, then sprinkle on the parsley, then layer mozzarella, then more sauce, another noodle layer, then sauce, and then grated Parmesan or mozzarella. Then I baked at 350 covered with tin foil for 45 mins and then uncovered for the last 15 minutes. You could add more of whatever you like based on if you love spinach or cheese. It came out terrific with the parsley, garlic and onions, lots of good flavor
3.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results