shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPSD? Live w/ it? Return to original B&M? New w/PS Vendor?

WWPS do with a 7 month reset that continues to have problems?

• go back to initial vendor to try to get them to fix it (but if they could have, they would have at t

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • live with it - its not that big of a deal to have a tarnished WG ring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • scrap it, start over using a PS vendor

Votes: 39 92.9%

• Total voters

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: WWPSD? Live w/ it? Return to original B&M? New w/PS Vend

Enerch :wavey:

I am so sorry you are going through this! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Its just so unfair!!

I hope you will pursue this through your credit card. You already have quite a paper trail I would imagine.

Then you can start over, with a new ring that you can love FOREVER!!!! :appl:

(However long forver is by PS standards. I know that is gets shorted every time I visit SMTB!!! :tongue: )

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock

You got great advice and you've made contact with BGD so that's all to the good. It must be really frustrating for you - I hope the credit card route works. Good luck with it, fingers crossed.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Spoke briefly with Denise yesterday but still waiting on the details of a setting in the 2 designs I like.

Called the CC company - they have a 3 month statute of limitations so nothing they can do in trying to resolve a dispute. They do, however, extend the warranty by a year for any repairs due to faulty workmanship, that's good to know. Ended up chatting with the operator about why I'm enquiring, and as a personal opinion, he said he'd argue for a new ring or a refund and just take your stones out and go home, so to speak!

Called the original B&M and am meeting with the owner tomorrow... DH can't come but I have a friend who also got her rings from there --and her WB looks just as bright white and sparkly as the day it was put on in January - when mine was refinished after her wedding, and is already 'off' in colour. She'll be very supportive and vocal with me, so I'm hoping I'm not going to be too anxious about what the outcome may be.

I'd love my money back (or a SIGNIFICANT portion thereof) and just start over with the diamonds at BGD. I don't want a new ring from here.

Fingers crossed!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good information and researching.

Be FIRM. "Custom work involves trust. I'm sorry, but you've broken your trust with me. Among other issues, you used glue. That's just not acceptable. I have not called the BBB or any of the jewelers organizations to report this because I want to try to solve this privately first. But the fact remains that if you could have done it right, you would have the first time. I do not want to continue this relationship, I do not want anything further made by you. I want a refund and my stones. If I get those, we can both walk away now. If I don't, I'm sorry to say I will have to call the BBB and the other organizations your belong to, as well as file a claim in small claims court. My appraiser will back me, and has already committed to do so."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just take Gypsy with you...I think this would be a great new career for her...jewelry advocate!!! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And best of luck to you! I hope you can get at least some money back!

I might encourage you to consider platinum for the new setting since you have had so much trouble with wg.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1338932595|3209898 said:

Be FIRM. "Custom work involves trust. I'm sorry, but you've broken your trust with me. Among other issues, you used glue. That's just not acceptable. I have not called the BBB or any of the jewelers organizations to report this because I want to try to solve this privately first. But the fact remains that if you could have done it right, you would have the first time. I do not want to continue this relationship, I do not want anything further made by you. I want a refund and my stones. If I get those, we can both walk away now. If I don't, I'm sorry to say I will have to call the BBB and the other organizations your belong to, as well as file a claim in small claims court. My appraiser will back me, and has already committed to do so."

OMG!!! Gypsy - Will you marry me!?!?!?! YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF BRILLIANT THINGS TO SAY :appl: I am in awe of you!!! please please please - fly up this instant and stand by my side in 16 hours!!! I am actually printing this off (via email to myself) so I can practice and remember it if it goes badly.

THANK YOU, GYPSY!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1338933141|3209902 said:
And best of luck to you! I hope you can get at least some money back!

I might encourage you to consider platinum for the new setting since you have had so much trouble with wg.

Thank you DS! That's my next plan, if I can get out of this with some significant money (in a perfect world, it would be ALL my money, but they did do the design, wax and labour, even if the whole casting of it went poorly) I am leaning towards platinum. My other WG isn't an issue, just this one, but still---- a new start, a new metal!

I'm all over the jewellry advocate career option for Gypsy!! :bigsmile:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Good Luck tomorrow, I'll be waiting to hear how things go. Maybe you should wear your bluetooth and have Gypsy on the line, telling you all the right things to say! :lol:

I agree that this would be the best resolution....'here ya go, take back your crappy ring, give me my gorgeous diamonds and we will both be happy and I will be on my way!' I'll be thinking of you! ;))

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Sending some positive view and good luck for tomorrow! I hope everything works out and you can move forward with BGD!

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock

Enerchi, you can do this!

Be firm, calm and polite. Drink water before you go in so your mouth is not dry. Practise Gypsy's speech in the mirror before you go and have it on hand to refer to if you forget. You probably won't get it all out at once. Hopefully they will look at doing something for you before you have to play all your cards. Keep your eyes on the ball at all times - which is to get a refund for the terrible things they did to your ring!!

Remember, you're in the right here, and bad workmanship should be compensated.

Muster that girlpower!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks guys!!! I'm hoping my girlpower won't let me down!!!

I've reviewed all the emails back and forth, and I just typed up the saga of this in point form, including dates and what was done at each point. I forgot that when it was replated in January (the first obvious discoloured tarnish event) they also replaced the shank at that time because it had a cut mark in it that could not be polished out. That must have been whatever their same alloy was from that bench, since it has reacted the same as the head/mount - meaning, it is tarnishing/discolouring at the same rate since it was dipped. Clearly there is something wrong with this alloy mix that bench is using.

Anyhow - have that all printed off, got Gypsy "talking" in my head and have a friend with me for support. Oh, I hope this goes well. Meet in 4 hours... keep your fingers crossed for me! I'll let you know what happens at the end of the day.... :???:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

.....drumroll please.....***UPDATE***

Met with the owner today and it went well. He agreed it was not a normal discoloured state. Checked my bill for the details of the work order - turns out, it was NEVER made with the Pd alloy! It is just 'regular 18k WG' (not sure if silver or nickel alloy instead, but it is definitely not palladium - WHAT?!) He called his supplier in Montreal to confirm that info. He quickly wrote out a work order to replace the ring right away. No fuss, no muss, lets just re do it and do it properly this time, in the palladium alloy as I thought I'd purchased. Whoa - wasn't expecting that! Very positive!

I brought up that this is a wonderful offer and could I make changes to it if I go that route? Yes, not a problem, within reason. Then I mentioned that I have concerns about that bench due to the issues I've had to date (it has been rhodium plated x 4 in its 7 month life form, etc) and then I said about the glue on the centre stone prongs. He proceeded to explain how diamonds are set - never with glue - it had to be something else, and with my handy dandy trusty iPhone by my side, I showed him the series of photos I have on there. He was stunned. Said he'd never seen them - yes, I emailed them to you and you replied to me. Requested I resend them to him and he will forward them to the bench. He called the bench then to discuss this - they claim this is standard practice with Princess diamonds. This is what they have been doing for 25 years in their business... WHAT???!!! I reminded him that the other 2 side diamonds have no glue - my original solitaire had no glue...

Now the offer on the table remains that he personally will redesign the ring for me, use a different wax casting company/bench than this one and create a replacement ring in 18k wg w Pd alloy. Changes can be made. It will take approx 3 weeks, he will oversee all the steps personally - he wants me to be happy and would like the chance to redo this for me.

OR...

I can get a FULL REFUND!!! FULL! taxes included! They can unset the stones on site and I can walk away with a bag of diamonds and my credit card refunded, if I chose.

I left there telling him I'd mull it over (the remake offer was something to consider...) and once home, emailed him the photos and the original email from the SA that it was to be made w Pd. Shortly after, I got a phone call from him advising out of palladium it should have been approx $500 more, but he will honour the original price and really hopes I go for the remake because they would at least recoup some of their expenses and it would be 'not fair' to have to loose money at this... but the decision is still mine and on the table.

I want to decide by tomorrow, so I've called Denise at BGD for pricing on the setting I'd like and timing would still work out for me to ship stones to her and be able to pick it up while on vacation. May be at the last day of the vacation... but it's do-able.

I'm feeling conflicted. So - now what are your thoughts?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm not conflicted. Take the money and run.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

It sounds like your meeting was a success. I appreciate their willingness to own up to some mistakes (metal). However, they still denied the fact that they GLUED your stones in until you showed them the pictures you emailed them(and they ignored :angryfire: ). That is a huge issue to me, the trust is completely gone. Even though he managed to closely oversee it this time, it seems like a "too little, too late" situation.

I think the best option is to walk a way with your refund(full refund!!! how awesome is that?!) and start working with BGD. We all know that BGD does amazing work. There is no doubt that you would get exactly what you want and deserve from them, without any of the hassle or stress you had with the other jeweler.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

TGal - that's funny!!! "I'm not conflicted..." :lol: (I'm with ya but the offer still deserves some 'mulling time' ;)) )

Armywife - Too little too late. I know. You could really sense there was some "uh oh" in the conversation. I'm hoping the info from Denise comes back equally as positive. It would be a plain shank, no channel set stones on the side, no 'surprise' diamond under the centre stone... and then I read a post of Christina's where she is looking for something classic... and it hit me that this will be a very simple, classic look. No need for all that extra stuff.

I keep hitting the refresh button on email ---- come on Denise!!! She said that Brian was in Belgium and just returned - either before or after JCK, so she's busy busy busy .... glad they still have time to discuss on the phone!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1339020528|3210721 said:
TGal - that's funny!!! "I'm not conflicted..." :lol: (I'm with ya but the offer still deserves some 'mulling time' ;)) )

Armywife - Too little too late. I know. You could really sense there was some "uh oh" in the conversation. I'm hoping the info from Denise comes back equally as positive. It would be a plain shank, no channel set stones on the side, no 'surprise' diamond under the centre stone... and then I read a post of Christina's where she is looking for something classic... and it hit me that this will be a very simple, classic look. No need for all that extra stuff.

I keep hitting the refresh button on email ---- come on Denise!!! She said that Brian was in Belgium and just returned - either before or after JCK, so she's busy busy busy .... glad they still have time to discuss on the phone!
I agree, there is something about a simple, classic setting that makes the diamonds shine like no other! I will keep my fingers crossed that you get an email from Denise soon!!

tigian

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1338941719|3210002 said:
Gypsy|1338932595|3209898 said:

OMG!!! Gypsy - Will you marry me!?!?!?! YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF BRILLIANT THINGS TO SAY :appl: I am in awe of you!!! please please please - fly up this instant and stand by my side in 16 hours!!! I am actually printing this off (via email to myself) so I can practice and remember it if it goes badly.

THANK YOU, GYPSY!
Enerchi, I'm so sorry to hear about your ring. Having to waste energy on this matter is such a bummer and I hope it gets resolved quickly and you can go back to enjoying your bling. I have a feeling if you go with BGD, it is going to end up perfect.
I was just going to comment that I would write this on my hand and recite it at the meeting. :bigsmile: How does gypsy come up with the most perfect thing to say?
Good luck at the meeting.
Whoops! I was so impressed with Gypsy that I didn't finish reading the thread... :oops:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TravelingGal|1339019529|3210714 said:

I agree.

But, I do think he handled it pretty honorably, and I would thank him and tell him you will certainly be back in the future but you would like the refund this time.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1339021374|3210732 said:

I agree.

But, I do think he handled it pretty honorably, and I would thank him and tell him you will certainly be back in the future but you would like the refund this time.

I agree as well, it's very decent of them to offer a full refund. I would be very nice to them about taking the refund. Diamondseeker's post made me wonder though -- would you come back to them for another project?

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

Take the money and run! Fast! :lol:

Really though, I would start fresh with BGD like your thinking about, the new bench at the jewellers that he's saying will make the new ring is unproven? Really you don't know what your going to get from this new place, it could be worse.

If they can show you many great rings from the same bench then you could possibly consider it, but I still think that your other option would involve less risk on your behalf.

Good luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GemFever|1339021748|3210735 said:

I agree.

I agree as well, it's very decent of them to offer a full refund. I would be very nice to them about taking the refund. Diamondseeker's post made me wonder though -- would you come back to them for another project?

Oh, goodness, I didn't mean for a custom project! There are all kinds of things to buy from a local jeweler such as watches, earrings, etc.!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1339022386|3210745 said:
GemFever|1339021748|3210735 said:

I agree.

Oh, goodness, I didn't mean for a custom project! There are all kinds of things to buy from a local jeweler such as watches, earrings, etc.!

Oh, true :D I've been thinking custom for so long, I forgot about the ... other pretty jewelry ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

enerchi you maniac take the money and ruuuuuun!!!!!

This is NOT an issue to be uncertain about, good LORD woman, do not make me come over and beat you with a wet noodle!!!!!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very nice of them! I've never had such luck with jewelers--usually they deny any wrong-doing. I too would take the money and run. But maybe buy something small from them (maybe a plain band?) to show them you appreciate their gesture.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock

Yay Enerchi!!!!

I'm so pleased that worked out so well for you! What if you didn't have the photos on your phone though? He would never have believed you. That was a great goal you kicked! You did great, and it was good that the jeweller did the right thing.

Do you live close enough to BGD to drive there to pick up your ring? I just ask because I've been reading the thread "VC setting dilemma..." and it is talking about customs laws in Australia (and Canada) making you pay tax again on diamonds you already paid tax on if you send them away for setting. I'm not sure what the outcome of that was but here is one quote from it.

"We have the same tax structure in Canada. Its ridiculous. I got around it by having the setting shipped from tacori in the US, 'mounting' the diamond (wrapped in paper and a baggy for protection) into the setting with tape and sending it back to them for a 'Return and Repair' as customs calls it. They repaired my sloppy setting job lol!!!!"

Of course Canada to US is not the same issue as Australia to US! But I thought I'd mention it as something to look into.

I like your reset ideas too - simple and classic. Maybe surprise diamonds are on the way out??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

oohsparkly|1339024754|3210778 said:
Yay Enerchi!!!!

I'm so pleased that worked out so well for you! What if you didn't have the photos on your phone though? He would never have believed you. That was a great goal you kicked! You did great, and it was good that the jeweller did the right thing.

Do you live close enough to BGD to drive there to pick up your ring? I just ask because I've been reading the thread "VC setting dilemma..." and it is talking about customs laws in Australia (and Canada) making you pay tax again on diamonds you already paid tax on if you send them away for setting. I'm not sure what the outcome of that was but here is one quote from it.

"We have the same tax structure in Canada. Its ridiculous. I got around it by having the setting shipped from tacori in the US, 'mounting' the diamond (wrapped in paper and a baggy for protection) into the setting with tape and sending it back to them for a 'Return and Repair' as customs calls it. They repaired my sloppy setting job lol!!!!"

Of course Canada to US is not the same issue as Australia to US! But I thought I'd mention it as something to look into.

I like your reset ideas too - simple and classic. Maybe surprise diamonds are on the way out??

There is no issue at all shipping things from Canada to the US for repairs to a jeweler. It is very simple and you don't need to pay tax twice. When you ship the item you mark on the customs documents "Adornment -US Made, Return and Repair". You keep your shipping label/receipt. When the US jeweler returns it, all they have to do is send it "Adornment, Return and Repair". You do not pay customs in that case, I recommend using FedEx or another courier who brokers things through customs for you, they will make sure its done right. All you need to provide is proof you shipped the item and its value -- the returning package must have the same value.

Simple. I have done is many times.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is it the same if you are shipping loose stones to the US? Denise said to send via USPS - from Canada - Registered/signed/insured. Have you ever had any problems sending diamonds that way????

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

I'm with everyone else and suggest you take your refund and have BGD remake the ring. By going with BGD you can be sure you will get a beautiful ring and if its not right they will make it right. By going with this company again, it might still not end up being what you want and who knows what kind of problems you will have in the future.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

yep, I'm with everyone else as well! I'd take the refund. I understand that it's uncomfortable and awkward since he was very honorable in wanting to correct the situation, but as Mike said, this new bench is unproven as well, who's to say it will be better, unfortunately it could be worse....than glue??.....well maybe not worse than that, but still not up to your standards. You've seen and discussed BGD's work with hundreds of PSers, you know he will make you happy. It's a no brainer to me! :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results