shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPS do - reset, refurbish, or keep as-is?

Reset, Refurbish, or Keep As-Is?

• 1) Reset! Get it put in a Van Craeynest bezel, and call it a day and call it an heirloom.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • 2) Reset! Get it put in something by another maker whom I will name below and from whom I shall sho

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • 3) Refurbish! Send it to Ari at Single Stone to have the bruted girdle faceted and the current setti

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • 4) Refurbish! Leave that stone's healthy girdle be and have your local bench polish the setting up

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • 5) For gods sake, woman, enjoy your ring and leave well enough alone.

Votes: 26 38.2%

• Total voters

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, guys! ::Mary-Tyler-Moore-twinkle::

I haven't been abducted by aliens, and I haven't forgotten about the thread, or the project - it's just become One of Those Months.

So! At this point, I corresponded with Lary Van Craeynest, who was a delight to speak with: I came away with the impression that while they could and would modify any of their existing designs within reason, they weren't really looking to do full-on custom work to the degree I was interested in, complete with new motifs and different heads and the whole shebang. So, no harm, no foul, and I will look forward to working with them in the future on a different project.

I've been going back and forth on designs with GreenLake (who are very patient, and have a fabulous system for working with long-distance clients: I'm deeply impressed), but so far none of the drawings have really taken off for me.

Ditto for Single Stone: I checked with them about existing designs, and they have one dragonfly design that's almost exactly what I want ... but not quite, somehow. I'll post a pic below, as it's definitely still in the running (perhaps with some tweaks to make the head more fishtail-like and to elongate the wings of the dragonfly), but ... I haven't had that Love At First Sight (TM) feeling that I usually have to have to be happy with a purchase. I don't crave it like I craved the original. The notion of doing a refurbish is getting more and more likely, I think, though there's no rush: if I go with that option, I'll probably wait and give myself the full year before the official five-year anniversary to search and see if anything else catches my fancy before I send it off.

And, in the meantime, I couldn't resist this deeply underpriced eBay setting, currently holding a vintage synthetic sapphire (I hope it's okay to post it): I figured that if it arrived and I loved it, I'd swap the stones, and if it arrived and I loved it ... a little less ... I'd simply make it my baby gift from me-to-me and have it set with a real stone. Well, it arrived: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290619366092?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. And I love it, but a little less than the original setting, so ... off to my usual jeweler it will go once I know for sure what this kid's birthstone will be (that, or I'll go with a nice cushion sapphire I have hanging around).

In the meantime, the hunt continues: if any of y'all stumble across a setting or design that screams "everyday wearable Art Deco that seems like it'd fit the aesthetic of my weirdo Internet friend," by all means, point me in the right direction. And, dragonfly ring below ....

dragonfly.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I love the setting you just posted!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that setting!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i just love it, so i said keep it as it is. Having said that, I also really love the bezel posted...i'm torn :confused:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
vintagelover229|1321887994|3066110 said:

Woah, I didn't see this until now - awesome! If it were just the central bit, I'd be drooling ... something about the top and bottom filigree just makes it seem a bit bulky. But the workmanship is amazing!

In other news ... tragedy! Of a very minor sort - apparently, the whole Ultrasonic: Threat or Menace? question applies to bezels, too. I awoke to discover that one of my round side-stones had fallen out. Bah!

But in terms of silver linings ... given that I've been looking for three months now without finding anything that I'm more passionately enamored of than the original, I've decided to go along with the 29% who voted for Door #4 and refurbishing: I went running to my jeweler, who assured me that, a) it would be no problem to replace the missing sidestone, b) as long as we were at it, why not upgrade all four of them, and, c) there was plenty of metal there to milgrain. So!

Because it's the in-between days, and half the jewelers are out of town, I'm going to call him back during the first week of January to see if he's managed to source the marquise sides (they're an odd size - 3.6 by 2). In the meantime, I'm tossing ideas around in my head - do I want sapphire sidestones? Alexandrite? And, happily, I can still wear the ring in the meantime: he popped the other round out of the setting like levering an oyster out of its shell, so now it looks like there are deliberate cut-outs flanking the marquise. It's actually kind of cool looking!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1325022239|3089552 said:
It's actually kind of cool looking!

Pics? ::)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And in terms of whether this means I'll keep it as-is forever ... I'm not sure. But at the very least, I know I'll want to keep the setting, which I love - in the worst case scenario, I'd set it with something else.

I still haven't seen a ready-made setting that's exactly what I'd want ... but two pieces have intrigued me mightily. First up, the ring Yssie posted in her reset thread, the wirework one from DBL - I had the chance to see this in person a few months ago, and I was really, really impressed by the quality of the labor and the intricacy of the design. And second, Mark William Morrell's 4-prong split-claw Torchiere (http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Alex K_2....Split-prong_mod Petite Torch_sz5.75__012s.JPG). If I could get a marriage of the two that added a third "strand" to the Torchiere while using the mixed metals of the DBL piece, giving me a fishtail head from the top and and a mesmerizing side view that somehow led into the shank neatly, either with more wirework or with a band of channel-set french-cuts, I could die a happy woman.

But I have a feeling getting that design Just So is going to take a while. So in the meantime - upgraded sidestones and refurbishing, here we come!

ETA: Why the discrepancy in pic size? A Jedi cares not for these things. But click the link, the ring's a work of art!

Marriage of Metals Reset One.jpg

Marriage of Metals Reset Two - Morrell.JPG

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Further updates!

Yssie, I didn't see the pic request until I came to update! So, find a few below ... though they're no longer up-to-date, since, only three and a half months later, I finally got my business together and took the ring off to be refurbished (the empty sockets weren't bothering me, but the poor quality of the marquises were). My usual guy couldn't find any that would fit, but ... IDJ to the rescue! As we speak, the ring's on the bench getting gussied up. I can't wait to get it back! I feel oddly naked without it.

Still no real movement on the finding-a-new-setting front. Mark Morrell very nicely replied in the negative about fishtailing that setting up, so that's a no-go: still pondering what kind of a wirework design might suit me.

I tracked down a jeweler who makes exact replica's of Nutty's OEC bezel setting, which is one of the front-runners: he quoted me $2500, but we'll see if metal prices rise by the time I'm ready.

Ganesha's gorgeous new rose gold setting got me hunting eBay, where I found this pretty retro setting, which I *think* I could have recreated ....

... but as you see, I'm basically right where I was 6 months ago, waiting for something to leap out and make me go YES! THAT'S IT! So ... keep me in mind in your browsing! :wavey:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The poor denuded ring:

denuded ring.jpg

denuded ring 2.jpg

denuded ring 3.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh! Nutty's setting!!!! DO IT DO IT!

OMG I've NEVER seen that ring-how did I miss that STUNNER!!!

Gah!

I'll never reset but you guys make me want to every day. French cuts-bezels-oh my!

Can't wait to see what you do!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heheheheheh - I'm 90% of the way there! I just need to find out if it can be done with engraving instead of pave, since it'll probably be a 24/7 piece for me and I won't want to baby it, and if something can be done to gussy up the side view. More engraving, maybe?

The bad news is, the marquise couldn't be changed out after all (drat - more motivation for a reset, I guess). The good news is, they polished it up nicely and reset the lost stones and sized it so I could wear it without fear of loss ... so now I can wear it with some of my anniversary bands! I'm really loving it with my Sepkus band - makes me understand why people love the skinny sets so much for the first time. :rodent:

ETA: Argh, I hate the quality of iPhone photos once you post them - they look fine on my screen, less so in the post! And my husband keeps hiding the camera cord. That's it, off to buy an Olloclip! :twisted:

With Sepkus band 1.jpg

With Sepkus band 2.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Nutty's setting is stunning! It is one of my favorites that I have saved in my setting folder as well.

I think your transitional would look amazing in that setting! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results