shape
carat
color
clarity

Wow, CvB just called out DK for copying one of her designs.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you stayed as well, it's jewellery it shouldn't cause anyone any degree of angst and drama but sometimes I'm sad to say it does on here.

Exactly my point above, some of the really loved jewellers recommended here have even by accident made almost exact copies of old designs. One of my favourites is Steven Kirsch's "True Love" ring, I love that ring, I found it's identical to an old Cartier design, I doubt Steven even realised that when he first made it. The same with a number of Caysie's designs, people show here, some are strikingly similar if not identical to old designs, other pieces of her work are completely unique, it just depends on the piece.

I see people here inspired by several different rings or designing what they think to be their own designs and frequently I've seen similar if not the same rings in other places. That probably is from over the years looking at way way too much jewellery... :whistle::lol::lol::whistle:
Thank you @arkieb1!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean There is nothing wrong with appreciating simple designs or what you did. It’s impossible to know - as a consumer - every single ring design that is out there already, even with the internet at our fingertips. You shouldn’t feel any negativity about either project. And I don’t think anyone really gets their feathers ruffled when it’s a simple design that appears similar to another simple design. I think it’s the more truly unique pieces with details that are copied to the Nth degree; I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash over a three stone bezeled ring, a 6-prong solitaire, etc., if that makes sense. Even if you found something similar after the fact, it doesn’t take away from what inspired you to design it, your time and effort went into YOUR ring, and that should be appreciable by the wearer without regard to others’ thoughts on it or what pops up for sale at a later date.

I’ve been agonizing (but in a fun way) over countless details, sketches, tweaks to sketches, re-tweaks, etc. for the setting I’m having made for my tycoon diamond, way more than I ever have on any other piece I’ve had made. If it weren’t for my iPad and sketch app, I’d have killed a large, majestic tree with how much paper I’d have sketched and crumpled up on this project alone. :lol:

The design’s side stones orientation is based on a ring Caysie made (though I’ve seen the same stone layout in true antique pieces as well). But the curves & arches, gallery, etc. are entirely architecturally-inspired by images I’ve had saved with details I loved and wanted to incorporate into a ring design. But because it’s architecturally inspired, I’m pretty sure every element in my ring has probably “been done before”, albeit perhaps not in the same way and definitely not with the same central diamond. But that’s what I can appreciate about it - that I can look at every detail and knowthat’s X element from Y structure from Z country”. The irony is, because the individual elements probably have been done before, most people who look at it will probably think “oh, it’s just another ring with some curves and stuff.” But I know there will not be another one like it anywhere ever because the central diamond remains the focal point and it’s unique. And as arrogant as it may seem, there is just something pretty cool about knowing it’s OOAK even if someone else doesn’t see it or think so.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean There is nothing wrong with appreciating simple designs or what you did. It’s impossible to know - as a consumer - every single ring design that is out there already, even with the internet at our fingertips. You shouldn’t feel any negativity about either project. And I don’t think anyone really gets their feathers ruffled when it’s a simple design that appears similar to another simple design. I think it’s the more truly unique pieces with details that are copied to the Nth degree; I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash over a three stone bezeled ring, a 6-prong solitaire, etc., if that makes sense. Even if you found something similar after the fact, it doesn’t take away from what inspired you to design it, your time and effort went into YOUR ring, and that should be appreciable by the wearer without regard to others’ thoughts on it or what pops up for sale at a later date.

I’ve been agonizing (but in a fun way) over countless details, sketches, tweaks to sketches, re-tweaks, etc. for the setting I’m having made for my tycoon diamond, way more than I ever have on any other piece I’ve had made. If it weren’t for my iPad and sketch app, I’d have killed a large, majestic tree with how much paper I’d have sketched and crumpled up on this project alone. :lol:

The design’s side stones orientation is based on a ring Caysie made (though I’ve seen the same stone layout in true antique pieces as well). But the curves & arches, gallery, etc. are entirely architecturally-inspired by images I’ve had saved with details I loved and wanted to incorporate into a ring design. But because it’s architecturally inspired, I’m pretty sure every element in my ring has probably “been done before”, albeit perhaps not in the same way and definitely not with the same central diamond. But that’s what I can appreciate about it - that I can look at every detail and knowthat’s X element from Y structure from Z country”. The irony is, because the individual elements probably have been done before, most people who look at it will probably think “oh, it’s just another ring with some curves and stuff.” But I know there will not be another one like it anywhere ever because the central diamond remains the focal point and it’s unique. And as arrogant as it may seem, there is just something pretty cool about knowing it’s OOAK even if someone else doesn’t see it or think so.
Thank you @the_mother_thing..A simple design should be fine...My ring with tapered side baguettes is a design you see everywhere. It’s not unique anymore..It’s just a design that I wanted and couldn’t afford when I was a starry eyed 20 year old. I wore a highly included .60 point ring for ten years. I had a few diamond upgrades over the years..One day I was thinking about it and decided to have the ring made I dreamed about. At this point I already had an upgraded diamond so didn’t need or want to get a whole new ring including the diamond. I went to a jeweler in the same town I got engaged in. It meant a lot to me to have it done there. I look at it now and fight not to feel sad..I can’t explain it..It’s crazy I know..I may at some point reset it and start fresh..
I can’t wait to see the ring you are designing..It sounds beautiful! My second home is in a historic district..I see really old gates when I’m taking a walk..and think they would make a beautiful gallery on a ring. There’s a mirror in my house that has a flower carved in it that would also be beautiful. I even have a vintage quilt that looks like colorful cluster rings to me. I’m sure that’s how designers get their inspiration.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I'm really curious what about the design did you get grief for? My original engagement ring is a family heirloom and is exactly like your ring (four prong with baguettes).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I'm really curious what about the design did you get grief for? My original engagement ring is a family heirloom and is exactly like your ring (four prong with baguettes).
That’s the one! Everyone has it in some form. I had copied it from a photo on eBay. I cut off where the site was from and gave that to the jeweler with some noted adjustments..18k white gold..lower profile, etc...In the end it looked exactly like the photo from the top down...The sideview looked much different....I don’t think they even saw the photo of my ring..They may have assumed it was a complicated original design..which it wasn’t.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s the one! Everyone has it in some form. I had copied it from a photo on eBay. I cut off where the site was from and gave that to the jeweler with some noted adjustments..18k white gold..lower profile, etc...In the end it looked exactly like the photo from the top down...The sideview looked much different....I don’t think they even saw the photo of my ring..They may have assumed it was a complicated original design..which it wasn’t.
I am so sorry that anyone made you feel badly about your ring! I agree with other posters in stating that you did nothing wrong. That design has been around for a very long time and for good reason. It is a classic. Please don't let anyone rain on your parade. Wear it in good health and enjoy!:wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Mamabean I am working out final details with Caysie and hope to ship the diamond off Monday. It’s great you have so much inspiration around you. I have so many pics of things I’ve taken here/there that I think “hmm that’d make a pretty gallery or other element in a piece of jewelry.” Inspiration is all around us if we just look.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry that anyone made you feel badly about your ring! I agree with other posters in stating that you did nothing wrong. That design has been around for a very long time and for good reason. It is a classic. Please don't let anyone rain on your parade. Wear it in good health and enjoy!:wavey:
Thanks @Octo2005 I’m just going to think it was a misunderstanding. I just picked a very uncomplicated design for my unmentionable...so I’m done thinking about it. :kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mamabean I am working out final details with Caysie and hope to ship the diamond off Monday. It’s great you have so much inspiration around you. I have so many pics of things I’ve taken here/there that I think “hmm that’d make a pretty gallery or other element in a piece of jewelry.” Inspiration is all around us if we just look.
I’m looking forward to seeing your ring!
That would be a great thread! Things that inspire us to create jewelry from things around us. I’m going to Maryland next weekend. I’ll take some pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results