shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you put a D color diamond into a rose gold setting?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Or is that a waste of a high color diamond? All opinions gratefully considered!

I put my E diamond in white gold because I was thinking like you are -- that putting it into rose or yellow gold would be a waste with such a white diamond. I love my rings, but I wish I'd just gone ahead and done colored gold rather than white. Get what you want.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
'D' coloured diamonds stand out. It's never a waste. It's an individual decision. I personally don't have colour as high on my priority list - the price jump from F to E to D is significant. But if you can afford it, then it will stand out. Especially if it's an ideal cut.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't. Even for my F I thought it'd be a waste not to put it in white gold. But my opinion is colored (ha) by the fact that I haven't seen a mixed-metal setting that I'd like - if I were into white prongs with a rose gold setting, that would change my options!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E6B5B553-D813-439C-AFFC-55BE50B861C3.jpeg B4B2B49F-3B86-4090-9AA8-7BBAB4F38408.jpeg Disclaimer: the diamonds are not certified but are by far the most colorless diamonds that I own. Here they are in white gold and rose gold plated setting. Hope it helps!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are color variations in rose gold, depending on the alloy. It can range from a pinkish "salmon" color all the way to a more coppery hue. Those deep copper tones + the stark whiteness of a colorless diamond, I am not so sure I like all that well. Some of the alloys I have seen made colorless diamonds look a little "blue" or cold or harsh. Or maybe it's just how my eyes see things.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would probably stick with white metal because the entire look would just be ice white, but I don’t think it’s a waste. I love the idea of it getting a slightly pinkish hue.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't. Even for my F I thought it'd be a waste not to put it in white gold. But my opinion is colored (ha) by the fact that I haven't seen a mixed-metal setting that I'd like - if I were into white prongs with a rose gold setting, that would change my options!
I do love that combo, naivemelody!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E6B5B553-D813-439C-AFFC-55BE50B861C3.jpeg B4B2B49F-3B86-4090-9AA8-7BBAB4F38408.jpeg Disclaimer: the diamonds are not certified but are by far the most colorless diamonds that I own. Here they are in white gold and rose gold plated setting. Hope it helps!
Gorgeous!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see why not, a D will pop in rose gold.
I had a 2.05 D-VS2 in yellow gold but it did have white gold prongs.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Starfacet,
While conventional wisdom does suggest setting high color diamonds in white gold or platinum settings to make the most of their hue, I wouldn't say it's a "waste" to put a D in a rose gold setting. As you have read here, It may not be for everyone - but if you Love that look - you have many people who agree with you!

Just wondering though, is it specifically a D that you want (or have) or the general colorlessness of D, E and F? You may get the contrast you are looking for and spend a bit less (or go for a more rare cut, clarity or carat) with the warm rose gold setting along with an E or an F color.

Whatever your decision - it’s a nice ‘problem’ to have =)2

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
If you love rose gold, use it. If you put a diamond you love in a setting crafted out of aluminium foil because that it what you wanted, then that's just fine. Don't look back in the future wishing you'd got the metal you wanted instead. It's only pretty baubles we're talking about, have it exactly how you want it.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably wouldn’t put a D into RG simply because whatever my budget, not-yellow works for me so I’d probably get a GHIJ and go bigger than what I could get in D for the same money.
I prefer size over colour. If it were the same price/size for a D as any other colour and I loved a RG setting, hell yes I’d put that puppy into RG and enjoy the contrast immensely (and the possible pink tinge too).
My sister and cousin both have GIA E erings - mine is an EGL H so likely lower (tho it’s been appraised twice and come in against master stones as a G-H so maybe not) and I honestly cannot see a difference between mine and their Es in everyday situations.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Starfacet,
While conventional wisdom does suggest setting high color diamonds in white gold or platinum settings to make the most of their hue, I wouldn't say it's a "waste" to put a D in a rose gold setting. As you have read here, It may not be for everyone - but if you Love that look - you have many people who agree with you!

Just wondering though, is it specifically a D that you want (or have) or the general colorlessness of D, E and F? You may get the contrast you are looking for and spend a bit less (or go for a more rare cut, clarity or carat) with the warm rose gold setting along with an E or an F color.

Whatever your decision - it’s a nice ‘problem’ to have =)2
Hi Brian,
I was looking at a particular diamond that happens to be a D. Thanks for your response!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on the road at the moment but snapped this photo in hopes it might help. (I’m the passenger, obviously :lol:). My ring has a rose gold bezel and then a platinum halo, but I think the contrast shows pretty well.

C80CBF85-40C9-4503-8450-2E61AACACF02.jpeg

I should mention that I went through the same dilemma; I worried that the rose gold would tone down the D. I can tell you that I’ve never once regretted my decision =)2

Good luck with your choice!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's your decision and ring-get what you want.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on the road at the moment but snapped this photo in hopes it might help. (I’m the passenger, obviously :lol:). My ring has a rose gold bezel and then a platinum halo, but I think the contrast shows pretty well.

I should mention that I went through the same dilemma; I worried that the rose gold would tone down the D. I can tell you that I’ve never once regretted my decision =)2

That looks cool!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But I can understand why someone might not want white metals. I wore a yellow gold wedding set through the '90s and into early 2000s. In 2004, platinum and white gold looked refreshingly elegant and 'different" and new to me. So I changed everything to white metals and now, almost 14 years later, I am enjoying the warmth of yellow gold again, and debating between rose gold and yellow gold for a remount of an old diamond I've had for a long time but never wore. It's nice to have a change very once in a while. If you want rose gold, get rose gold.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I can understand why someone might not want white metals. I wore a yellow gold wedding set through the '90s and into early 2000s. In 2004, platinum and white gold looked refreshingly elegant and 'different" and new to me. So I changed everything to white metals and now, almost 14 years later, I am enjoying the warmth of yellow gold again, and debating between rose gold and yellow gold for a remount of an old diamond I've had for a long time but never wore. It's nice to have a change very once in a while. If you want rose gold, get rose gold.
I think that's why I'm leaning toward it!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have high color diamonds set in 24K gold. Sometimes when I set diamonds in yellow gold I put them into a platinum head. Since I prefer yellow gold (and high karat gold) to platinum and white gold and I prefer high color diamonds to low, it would be silly of me not to combine what I like. I also like (and own) rose gold.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Although I almost always do the opposite, frame a high color stone in a white metal and use a lot of a yellow metal, I applaud your design! It is beyond gorgeous. Really, really beautiful. I love rose gold and that combination is sublime!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see why not, a D will pop in rose gold.
I had a 2.05 D-VS2 in yellow gold but it did have white gold prongs.

That is the kind of thing I often do. I make the head white metal or the prongs white metal or (generally) both white metal. But I do not always do that, either. I set a G colored stone I had had set differently before into a handmade, hammered, 24K gold setting without any white metal, and it is lovely. It looks like a Gurhan ring.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I split the baby - I like the head to be the color of the stone - so in this case a white metal, and the shank to be whatever I think looks best against my skin tone currently.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I almost always do the opposite, frame a high color stone in a white metal and use a lot of a yellow metal, I applaud your design! It is beyond gorgeous. Really, really beautiful. I love rose gold and that combination is sublime!

Deb :wavey:
Aw, thanks Deb! Very kind of you :kiss2:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
This is a bezel-set J-color emerald and a similarly sized prong-set CZ ("D color"-white) for comparison. The CZ is clearly whiter! Both are similarly dirty. ;-) IMG_20171227_143851.jpg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a bezel-set J-color emerald and a similarly sized prong-set CZ ("D color"-white) for comparison. The CZ is clearly whiter! Both are similarly dirty. ;-) IMG_20171227_143851.jpg
Evergreen, I ADORE that bezel-set emerald cut diamond! It really shows off the rose gold. Thanks for posting that!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Brian,
I was looking at a particular diamond that happens to be a D. Thanks for your response!

I hope you find your perfect setting for the diamond you have selected. You'll get all the help you'll need here :)

And do, please, come back with pics once you have the finished product!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evergreen, I ADORE that bezel-set emerald cut diamond! It really shows off the rose gold. Thanks for posting that!

I agree that it looks great. This thread is making me want to set a diamond in rose gold! I probably have a loose diamond in my safe deposit box!!! I may even have a 1.25 carat E colored stone that was once one of my earrings and now isn't since I sold the other one of the "set"! ;))

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results