shape
carat
color
clarity

would you mind if i call you by a shorten name?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
they do. but I honestly can't blame them for that. you spell any name "differently" that's going to be a problem. I get less fired up about that than the Liz thing.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Add me to the list of people who minds very much.
I don't even like you to call me by my given name unless I know you quite well or you are a very close family member.
In short, "That would be Mrs. Jade to you, please" and I also don't want to call you Tom, Dick or Janie when we just met five minutes ago; I hate that kind of faux bonhomie masquerading as friendship and actually think that relationships you get into too quickly even in terms of friendships (not sexual) burn out quickly too--or stay on a shallow level forever. If you are Janie to everybody, what's left that's special for your old friends, much less your spouse?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I have a very shortenable name and if I got annoyed every time someone used a nickname I'd be in a perpetual rage.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1322269602|3068881 said:
The only one I cannot stand is Cathy/Katie: I am not the punchline of a comic strip nor the heart-festooned scribble in a teen girl's notebook. I go by a specific variant of Katherine, but will answer to any other variant including Miss Kitty (this is what my transitioning students tend to call me) or even Miss (cat face) in their emails to me, that's fine, but lord save you if you call me Cath/y or Katie. You will get THE LOOK. :lol:

Edit: One colleague calls me "Miss *meow noise*" Don't phase me in the slightest.

DITTO

Call me Katie, call me Katie, call me miss Cat, call me Katia, call me Cath, even.

But if I've put out my hand to greet you for the first time, and introduce myself as "Catherine", why on gods green earth do people feel the need to reply "nice to meet you Cathy". I hate that.

Catherine

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Very timely as I just had a run in with a co-worker about this very subject. Coworker "Jim" said something to me about how nice it was to meet my Fiance` "Bob" and what a nice man "Bob" was. I replied to him that "yes, "Robert" is a very nice man, and that we are very happy together." Coworker Jim got very angry and said "Well!! He answered to "Bob" at the party last night!!" In my head I replied "Well, probably because he is a spouse at The Company Party and didn't want to rock the boat... you @$$hat." In my voice I replied "Gosh! I am glad to have the opportunity to correct the record."

Robert never goes by Bob, to anyone. Jim tries to create instant intimacy with everyone he meets. This could not annoy me more. Jim has no filters, and people are often railroaded by him. Other people's feelings just don't register with him. My given name is very long and very, very uncommon. If I get a nickname through some interaction with co-workers (I work in a tight knit field, so that's pretty usual), or it is an inside joke, or the nickname arrives to me through some legitimate channel, then sure, I can live with that. (Unless the nickname is vulgar/inappropriate/ whatever.)

When someone is introduced as Kristin, that is how I refer to them. Why people would shorten anyone's name upon first meeting is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

People I met 5 minutes ago professionally can refer to me as LongComplicatedUncommonFullName or Ms. SlightlyMoreCommonLastName. People I don't know at all can refer to me as Ms. SlightlyMoreCommonLastName.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
SO and I both get called by ours often - him more than me since he has a chronically shortened name - think Michael/Mike. I have a name that I dont think is that shortenable but somehow is always shortened and mutated so I accept it. No one asks if they can call me something shortened, they just do it. Even people who don't know me that well. Its strange. The closest things I can think of without actually saying my name is...Think Tabatha/Tab/Tabs/Tabby/Blabs/Schmabs or Erica/Eri/Ers/Blers/Schmers

I accept it...but I can't think of a time that I've ever been asked if I'm okay with it :)) SO calls me semi-cutesy names and often by one of the shortened above. I call him by the long version of his so he knows Im serious damnit!

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I like to be called by my name (which is Ivana), but strangers (to me that means Americans/Spaniards/etc.) tend to mispronounce it so I introduce myself as Ivy. I much prefer the nickname to hearing my name butchered. :D

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the person. I think people should be called by the name they ask you to call them.

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Pandora|1322249852|3068743 said:
We named our daughter Daisy, thinking that it couldn't be shortened... I went to pick her up from nursery yesterday only to hear the staff all calling her 'Dayz'.... :-o Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh!

:rolleyes: Oh dear ^

I have strong opinions about this, I don't ever presume to call someone by their nickname unless they've instructed me to. Other wise it just sounds like I am trying to be 'besties' with them and it can come off as awkward and too familiar!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
How timely, my new manager actually came to my desk today to specifically ask what I prefer to be called! I thought it was very polite of him. My name is Jennifer, which is what I usually introduce myself as at work (because it sounds most professional), but most people call me either Jen or more often Jenny, and he had heard co-workers calling me Jenny and came to ask. What a nice thing to do.

As I said before, with a chronically shortenable name like Jennifer I really don't mind when someone calls me Jenny or Jen. I tend to invite a lot of nicknames - Jenben and Jenbear being the two most recent from my coworkers. Dunno why. The other most common nickname is inapproproate for a public forum but I will say that I have rude friends and that it usually starts with genit... :cheeky:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I typically use the name someone introduces him/herself with. At times I do ask, "E.g., do you prefer James or Jim? Samantha or Sam?" And if they have a preference I call them by their preference. My DH goes by James or his (our) last name since there's a lot of James/Jims in our circle of friends. A friend of a friend prefers Samantha, and responded as such when I asked what she preferred to be called.

For our DS, we're in the midst of picking out names. My top choice doesn't really have a "nickname/shortened name." The other two could be shortened.

~LC

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
All very interesting! My issue with my name is pronounciation. my name is Elisa with the E prounounced as short A so it sounds like A-Lisa . At least that's what my parents attempted 55 years ago, I have been Alicia, Alyssa,Alissa,Lisa,Lisse, Lee, Elise, and even Louise! (don't ask)! Even when I pronounce it for people I get are you sure??? why yes I am.

My husband is Edward, as we have gotten older he has gone from Eddie to Ed and my son became Eddie!
he pretty much answers to anything!
My brother is David has always been David and my parents made darn sure of that! :naughty:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm an Allyson and it really bugs me when people shorten it to Ally. To me, Ally isn't just short for Allyson, it's a completely different name.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
amc80|1323820382|3080889 said:
I'm an Allyson and it really bugs me when people shorten it to Ally. To me, Ally isn't just short for Allyson, it's a completely different name.

My son's name is Alessandro and it kind of surprises me every time someone calls him "Alex" becuz to me that's not the same name at all.
We do call him Ale though (long e sound)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results