shape
carat
color
clarity

would you mind if i call you by a shorten name?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I'm Mary.. I don't often get Mare.. by I have... which is an odd name in itself.. that a female horse.. not much of a compliment..

My DH is Scott... I lengthen his all the time.. Scotty..... which usually means I need something... :naughty:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Mayk|1322268113|3068867 said:
Since I'm Mary.. I don't often get Mare.. by I have... which is an odd name in itself.. that a female horse.. not much of a compliment..

My DH is Scott... I lengthen his all the time.. Scotty..... which usually means I need something... :naughty:

Fi is Scott, too. Sometimes, he gets Scotty (shortened middle name) for fun, but it annoys him, so it's usually Scott, unless we're goofing around.

I'm Amanda, and only my best friend calls me by Mandy. When I was around 3, I apparently told my parents off for trying to call me Mandy.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
The only one I cannot stand is Cathy/Katie: I am not the punchline of a comic strip nor the heart-festooned scribble in a teen girl's notebook. I go by a specific variant of Katherine, but will answer to any other variant including Miss Kitty (this is what my transitioning students tend to call me) or even Miss (cat face) in their emails to me, that's fine, but lord save you if you call me Cath/y or Katie. You will get THE LOOK. :lol:

Edit: One colleague calls me "Miss *meow noise*" Don't phase me in the slightest.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIne is kinda of reverse, my legal name is Cathy...everyone tries to make it longer, I have been called Catherine or Kathleen, it doesnt really bother me that much...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My name is Lori, and the only people who tend to shorten it are my very close friends and family, who usually use Lor, Lar, or Lou. If someone I didn't know very well called me Lor I would probably find it too familiar, but it's never happened yet.

My husband's name is Howard, but everyone other than his father calls him Howie. My dad often calls him How, which we just laugh about, because it's such a strange thing to call someone. My dad is that guy who shortens everyone's name, even if they aren't really close enough to warrant the familiarity. I know it bothers people, and I know my father doesn't "get" it that it does.

People often ask me about my full name, which is . . . Lori. Some go on and say "But, isn't that short for something?" No, it's not. "Really?" Yes. :bigsmile:

liarudd

Shiny_Rock
I am brual for shortening names or just giving someone a nickname since i m horrible at remembering names....

i dont think i would care what someone called me, since I do not go by my real name anyway

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel free to call me VR or Beauty - I won't take offense either way.

Of course I try to use the name and pronunciation that whoever I'm talking to prefers. But I don't understand people who get huffy with the occasional slip-up... in my book, making someone feel bad for an inadvertent mistake is rude too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My name is Melissa and I go by either Missy or Melissa. Most of my family and friends call me Missy but I go by Melissa at work. A few times when someone who didn't know me well called me Mel I gently corrected them as I don't care for being called Mel. But I was very nice about it as I know they didn't mean any harm. I just think of Mel as a boy's name so it's not a good nickname for me. I also do not like when people I do not know call me honey but I usually do not correct them in that case as those are people I am not going to see again and I don't think it is worth the energy.

My dh usually doesn't use my name at all and instead calls me sweetheart or another affectionate term.

When someone who usually calls me Missy calls me Melissa I know I am in trouble... :devil:

in my book, making someone feel bad for an inadvertent mistake is rude too.

I agree. It is poor manners to make someone feel badly for an honest mistake.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Replying to the OP and not to any subsequent posts. I haven't had time to read them yet.

DF, you cannot make up names for people. If Elizabeth wants to be called Liz, she'll tell you not the other way around. The same goes for anyone else.

I'm Danny. It doesn't get much easier than that. No, you cannot call me Dan.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My name is Melissa, I've always gone by Missi..I was like..10 or something before I realized Melissa was my real name. The only time I've ever been called that is by Mom or one of my Gramma's when I was in trouble. So, no, it doesn't bother me. I have a classmate from my grade and one from the grade below me that I knew as Kristie and Missy in school and now they go by Kris and Melissa. I still call them Kristie and Missy. However, we tried to be careful w/our kids to not have names that could be shortened b/c it does get frustrating, going by a shortened name and having to use your given name for different things. If meeting someone for the first time, I'd use whatever name they introduced themselves with.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1322264549|3068841 said:
HI:

My sister insists on Katherine--and it sounds better. Of course when I've had a few, it is Kath... :bigsmile:

I met a gal at work for the first time--and she is Susan. I asked "do you mind Sue or Suzy" and she glared at me: I have NEVER been a Suzy! To see her, it just makes sense. Susan it is! I respect that.

cheers--Sharon

Are you my co-wroker? My name is Susan, and if anyone asks if they can call me anything other than that, they get the "death glare"! The only person that calls me anything else is my brother who will occasionally call me Sue.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
HI:

My sister insists on Katherine--and it sounds better. Of course when I've had a few, it is Kath... :bigsmile:

I met a gal at work for the first time--and she is Susan. I asked "do you mind Sue or Suzy" and she glared at me: I have NEVER been a Suzy! To see her, it just makes sense. Susan it is! I respect that.

cheers--Sharon

Was it me? :lol:

I hope I wasn't rude!! ;))

I am a Susan. I prefer Susan. I won't answer to Sue or Susie. I just don't hear it as my name!! If I hear any of these shortened versions, my brain does not react to it as my name.

However, when I got married the girls in my office joined my first and new married name and came up with SusiMoo and it stuck.

To be honest, I don't know the last time I was referred to as Susan. My husband and all my family call me by my pet name from when I was very small. In fact when I here someone shout Susan, I know I am normally in trouble!! :bigsmile: :saint: :devil:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1322287333|3069003 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Are you my co-wroker? My name is Susan, and if anyone asks if they can call me anything other than that, they get the "death glare"! The only person that calls me anything else is my brother who will occasionally call me Sue.

Are you me? :lol:

Hi Jaysonsmom. :wavey:

I promise to never shorten your name!!! :saint: :bigsmile:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I'm Stephanie, but many people shorten it to Steph. I don't mind it when my friends and family do it, but it does bother me a little when coworkers do. I don't go out of my way to correct them though, but I always use my full name on emails and other work communications.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susimoo|1322303763|3069045 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Was it me? :lol:

I hope I wasn't rude!! ;))

I am a Susan. I prefer Susan. I won't answer to Sue or Susie. I just don't hear it as my name!! If I hear any of these shortened versions, my brain does not react to it as my name.

However, when I got married the girls in my office joined my first and new married name and came up with SusiMoo and it stuck.

To be honest, I don't know the last time I was referred to as Susan. My husband and all my family call me by my pet name from when I was very small. In fact when I here someone shout Susan, I know I am normally in trouble!! :bigsmile: :saint: :devil:

HI:

I totally get and respect that! Yanno, sometimes, when in a hurry, you'll just shorten names....but now I know that SUZ will not fly! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My given name is Kimberly, but I have always been called Kimi (spelling chosen by my parents when I was an infant). There never seemed a place where I could transition to Kimberly and I get strange looks about my name on occasion. Oh well, it's what I've always been known as.

Pan, I am curious what your family calls you as your first name is my middle name.

Our daughter is Jane. I don't care for Janie, but I don't react if people call her that, I just continue to refer to her as Jane.

My husband goes by his middle name, it can't be shortened.

Edited to answer question: I don't particularly care for the name Kim, but if someone calls me that I'm not going to correct them. My dad, sister, and one of my aunts call me Kim and I don't mind.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, i would.....because that is not who i am. however, when in a spanish-speaking environment, i ask people to call me by their equivalent...its close enough and just easier. and in that environment i'm used to it.

i always ask a person what is their preference....i expect others to do the same and if they A S S U M E i have no problem correcting them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would mind. The only people who can shorten my name are my DH, family and best friends. I don't want others to shorten my name as I introduce myself with my full name.

melave

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it's a regional or an aussie thing, but where i am in Oz nearly everyone gets their name shortened or a nickname, whether you like it or not!!
Barry = Baz
Kerrie = Kez
Natasha = Nat or Tash
Justin = Justo
Nathan = Nath
Megan = Megs

the list goes on.

I usually ask someone if what they liked to be called (especially if introduced by someone else by a nickname or shortened name) and will call them by whatever they prefer.

I go by Mel. But someone people need to extend my name and call me Melanie, which isn't my name. Sometimes i correct, sometimes i just answer to it :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
trust me: its an aussie thing!

you people [generic meanning of "you people" which includes my in-laws] really do have a thing for doing this...and its not limited to names! i have to ask my husband for a translation sometimes.....each trip to western au, though, finds me catching on to more and more.

melave

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1322350355|3069286 said:
trust me: its an aussie thing!

you people [generic meanning of "you people" which includes my in-laws] really do have a thing for doing this...and its not limited to names! i have to ask my husband for a translation sometimes.....each trip to western au, though, finds me catching on to more and more.

lol i know, we are shocking for it :) A guy i worked with did a translation page for his American family on his webpage. I didn't realise how much slang we used until i read that page

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents hated having their names shortened, think Tommy and Debbie, so they purposely gave my sister and I names that couldn't be shortened. I like long names myself and tend to use those, but I try to be careful to ask the person what they prefer to be called.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My name can't really be shortened, but lots of people (including my husband) call me by my last name rather than my first. In fact, a ton of people shorten my last name and call me by last name-nickname. I don't really mind - I figure people get used to calling you by what they are comfortable with and that's ok with me. i think generally nicknames are terms of endearment.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would not mind at all because my name calls for varieties. As long as people ask me whether I like it or not. I only do not like one, Irish version of it. Usually I do not offer people to use shortened versions of their names. On a side note, parents these days tend to choose names for their kids that are too fancy. How would you like "Townsend"? Beautiful name no doubt, but practically invites teasing at school.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1322236537|3068644 said:
i.e...if your name was Elizabeth and i call you Liz,and if your husband's name was Robert and i call him Bob would he mind?

my name is Elisabeth and yes, I'd mind. But that's why I introduce myself as Elisabeth. My husband Tom goes by Tom. You'll never hear him introduced as anything else. When in doubt go with what you're told unless you ask. I'm asked incessantly "what do you go by?" Elisabeth. Always Elisabeth. I'm not bothered by people who ask, but I am bothered by people who presume to shorten it on their own.

geri

Shiny_Rock
Melave - I'm another Aussie and I find our propensity to give everyone nicknames a little challenging sometimes. It's fine amongst close friends, and I actually love the fact that my close friends/family call me something different to everyone else, but I hate it if someone does that in a professional/acquaintance context. Equally, I feel really uncomfortable calling someone by a nickname when I don't know them well, even if they have been introduced to me that way by someone else. I was once introduced to someone as "Maggot" and I didn't refer to him by name for months (even though he didn't seem bothered by it) because I just couldn't call someone I didn't know Maggot.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
i.e...if your name was Elizabeth and i call you Liz,and if your husband's name was Robert and i call him Bob would he mind?

Without reading all the other posts, yes, yes I would. I would mind a lot. As a matter of fact, this happens to me all the time and I HATE it. My name IS Elizabeth. I do NOT go by Liz. I go by Beth. People assume that I use "Liz" all the time...even people who I've been introduced to as Beth. It is beyond annoying :angryfire: The name Elizabeth has like 10 different nicknames....Liz, Lizzie, Eliza, Elisa, Liza, Beth, Betty, Bess, Bet, Ebbie, Ebby...I could go on. They are NOT interchangeable. You should never assume that just because a name has a common nickname that a person uses it. As a matter of fact, I don't even want someone to call me Beth unless I've told them to.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
QueenB29|1322485553|3069963 said:

Without reading all the other posts, yes, yes I would. I would mind a lot. As a matter of fact, this happens to me all the time and I HATE it. My name IS Elizabeth. I do NOT go by Liz. I go by Beth. People assume that I use "Liz" all the time...even people who I've been introduced to as Beth. It is beyond annoying :angryfire: The name Elizabeth has like 10 different nicknames....Liz, Lizzie, Eliza, Elisa, Liza, Beth, Betty, Bess, Bet, Ebbie, Ebby...I could go on. They are NOT interchangeable. You should never assume that just because a name has a common nickname that a person uses it. As a matter of fact, I don't even want someone to call me Beth unless I've told them to.

Solidarity! Elizabeths unite! LOL! And yes, in grade school I was Ebie. Still am to my grandmother. I was never a Liz.

For me it's gotten especially bad since getting married. I'm now Elisabeth Taylor. So people delight in going, "No way! YOU'RE Liz TAYLOR?!" Umm, no. It's still Elisabeth. Really.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
mrs. taylor|1322485901|3069964 said:
QueenB29|1322485553|3069963 said:

Solidarity! Elizabeths unite! LOL! And yes, in grade school I was Ebie. Still am to my grandmother. I was never a Liz.

For me it's gotten especially bad since getting married. I'm now Elisabeth Taylor. So people delight in going, "No way! YOU'RE Liz TAYLOR?!" Umm, no. It's still Elisabeth. Really.

We should form a nickname support group ;)) Seriously, I love my name; I just don't know of any name that has such problems with nicknames. Probably because I think there are more nicknames for Elizabeth than for any other name. And yet, everyone thinks it's just Liz. You must have extra problems....and not just b/c of your married name :rolleyes: (Why do people do that?) I bet people try to spell your name with a "z" all the time too.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results