shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you go this low in a square emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Hello guys!!

I am yet another lady looking endlessly for a square emerald (or asscher style--not nec a RA type) in the 2-2.5ct range. I have located a really pretty 2ct/ h/ vs1/ 7.3x7.3 in a local store that is a really good price, sparkly, and fits all of my personal criteria for my size 5 finger
25.gif
. So what''s the problem? The problem is that with spending that kind of dough I want to make sure that I am getting a stone that I will not IMMEDIATELY start getting shrinkage with!! I have totally spent too much time online looking at these honkers that Leon Mege has set in these rings, etc!!! SOOOO, would you ever consider an asscher in the "j" color range, but keeping a clarity range of vs1 or vs2 or is that going to scream BIG YELLOW STONE? There is a stone on BLuenile right now that is a j asscher, vs2, with a nice spread close to 8mm that is tempting in the $10k range. I guess you probably get what you pay for and mabey the stone is colored and lifeless...... I''ve heard conflicting info on the effect of color on steps and have seen some I''s that I thought were really good......

Any input? Anyone want to swat me for being a spoiled brat about wanting a bigger stone....Anyone...Anyone...

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
It wouldn''t hurt to check it out. Blue Nile is fantastic to work with and you can easily send the stone back if it''s not fabulous. If it looks pretty good on paper, why not see it in person? Best of luck to you, I hope you love it!!
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
LOL I don''t think anyone around here would want to swat you for wanting the bigger stone.

As you no doubt know, it''s so important to SEE asschers...IRL is best of course, but good pictures can be helpful for culling purposes. Unfortunately it is my understanding that pictures of BN stones are not available

The BN stone might be worth the trouble and expense of ordering for personal inspection...but I wouldn''t do it with high expectations. You''re right, you do generally get what you pay for.

If I were looking for an asscher, I''d inlist the help of a trustworthy vendor, and let him do the initial looking/culling. Color is a matter of personal preference...I personally would put up with quite a bit to get a bigger stone. I''d also be open to asschers with SI clarity...provided they had first passed muster with a trusted vendor.

widget

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I think that would be a good size, but as widget stated, it would be best to see the stone..For size, this is vespergirl's 2.20 ct. (H/VVS2) asscher (7.20 x 7.10 x 4.94mm) & her finger is also a size 5!!
2.gif

Vespergirl's Asscher

Vespergirl220Asscher0001.JPG

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kellyfish!

I totally know what you mean about the shrinkage. My asscher''s spread is 7.2 x 7.1, and it looked huge at first, but now it is looking smaller to me :) Also, mine is an H color, and in certain lights, I do see a bit of color. When we were choosing a diamond, I was looking at a smaller G, but went with the H because of the bigger spread. That said, though, when I held them side to side, I could see no color in the G, but saw a very faint hint in the H.

You may want to see your J, and if it has flourescence, it could turn out to be beautiful. But color shows up a lot more strongly in step cuts than in brilliant cuts, so a J asscher will definitely look yellower than a J round brilliant.

Also, regarding clarity, you probably don''t want to go below VS2. The emeralds and asscher I looked at that were SI quality had visible inclusions - they are just easier to see in step cuts, unless you could find one where the inclusion isn''t visible once set.

When it comes to asschers, it''s really hard to find one that you like, so you may want to look at a few. That said, we have also purchased lots of jewelry from Blue Nile, and they are great to work with, so I''m sure you will have a good experience findign something that you like with them.

Good luck - I can''t wait to see your pics once you decide! :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried viewing any J emeralds in person. I think you really need to get a feel for color before purchasing. Also, if you are going to view some try to get the stone out of the store lighting if possible. The jewelry store lights are not the best environment to get a true sense of color.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses!! I''m probably not going with the J from Bluenile......I honestly think that the 7.3x7.3 vs1/h is realistically about as good as I am going to do in my price range!! It really seems that there is a huge jump in price when you get to about 7.5 mm in an asscher--and hardly anything between 2.5-3cts!! So, either I can stay about where I am in quality/size or have to jump up to the HIGH 20''s or low 30k''s for a 3ct--which I can''t do.

I used to wear a 7mmx7mm asscher simulant after I lost my original e-ring and loved it (even though I was slightly preoccupied that people would notice it was a simulant). I asked my jewelry "connection" to get a few 2+ ct cushions for me to just take a look at--just in case I want to jump ships to the cushion camp. But at this point, I''m pretty sure that I''m going to be more than happy with a beauty 7.3mm asscher.....

I''ll let you know how the cushions look....I''m hoping to see a super-spready one that steals my heart....my need for bling has taken over my mind!!!!

BTW--anyone know if there is a maker of Leon M micropave knock-offs? I like the super-skinny bands with no halo.....

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Something like this?? Leon Mege 3 carat Asscher on a pave'' band...I love Leon''s pieces, & his craftsmanship is stunning!!! That said, another person who could make something similar would be Mark Turnowski (check out a thread of his designs here)

Leon3CaratAsscher0001.jpg

cakitake

Rough_Rock
Hi Kellyfish! About a year ago a user by the name of Tierhog got a gorgeous J colored RA. If you do a search for his username you''ll pull up his threads. (Sorry, I don''t know how to links threads yet) Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results