shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy this OMC?

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As these stones are quite sought after I wouldn’t like to announce, who the vendor is, but here is a video of a stone. Do you think it’s good cut? I know, with OMC it depends on personal preferences, but is it basically cut well?

I think the table is nice and small, I’m just afraid in certain light environments the big facets in the middle get too dark.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely! I would personally choose a smaller table if possible, but that is a matter of personal taste I think. This type of cut will have its quirks even at ideal cut IMO and you will have to ask yourself if it speaks to you depending on what you like. I love the broad flashes, but that obviously also means that they will sometimes be on/off in comparison to a more "splintery" old or modern cut.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I typically prefer more rounded cushions but your inspo pic is absolutely stunning and if that's what you're going for I would certainly buy something like this. As @acaw2015 you do have to ask yourself if it speaks to you but, from the videos, the stone looks rather beautiful. So looking forward to seeing what you settle on!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love it!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since this is an LGD group I’m guessing you know this is a recently cut modern oldmine cut. I‘d personally pick a cut with a smaller table and puffier crown. Someone recently posted about their LGD old mine cut with a small table and puffy crown, so I know you can find this style in LGD. There’s a link to the 3D diamond she bought, so you can see what I mean.

I’ll also say the benefits of the stone you’ve picked, eg a larger table and lower crown height is the relatively bigger diameter by weight (you can see more stone side to side not top to bottom). The other nice thing about the diamond you‘ve picked is broad big facets, which is really pretty.

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I generally like it - I'd mirror the sentiment of preferring a smaller table, but it does look like it's optically pleasant regardless

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Since this is an LGD group I’m guessing you know this is a recently cut modern oldmine cut. I‘d personally pick a cut with a smaller table and puffier crown. Someone recently posted about their LGD old mine cut with a small table and puffy crown, so I know you can find this style in LGD. There’s a link to the 3D diamond she bought, so you can see what I mean.

I’ll also say the benefits of the stone you’ve picked, eg a larger table and lower crown height is the relatively bigger diameter by weight (you can see more stone side to side not top to bottom). The other nice thing about the diamond you‘ve picked is broad big facets, which is really pretty.

That was me. This is the one I bought:

My preference is for a smaller table, the way the old ones were cut. It's harder now to find them on Adiamor, where I bought mine--they no longer seem to automatically show photos/videos in their listings, and they mix the few OMCs in with the cushions, so you have to click on each "cushion" to see whether it's secretly an OMC. But Frank Darling (and maybe other sellers?) has a filter for OMCs, and you can search on table size too if you like.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Big facets. The lower table and spread give it kind of a watery look in a good way, it looks very clear and transparent. Modern take on an old cut. I like it a lot but you need to get it and carry it around for a while to make a good decision.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your input, I really-really appreciate it!

@glitterata i have seen your thread, and you are the one who inspired me to buy an OMC! I have checked every possible vendor for OMCs, but it’s really hard to find one. But nevertheless thank you for the suggestion!

@dreamer_dachsie thanks fit your input! Frank Darling is above my budget at this moment unfortunately, but the stone you linked has a beautiful shape!

@Ibrakeforpossums thank you also fit your input! Unfortunately return is not an option for me, because I’m in EU, and the vendor is not, but it’s good to know you see some beauty in this stone. I still consider it, but if I buy it, I have to keep it.

In general the vendor can do custom cut according to my preferences, and basically I prefer smaller and more rounded culet. This is a good example of cut pattern of what I like:

IMG_3445.png

It also has a smaller table, which I also prefer.
I think, I’m going the custom route, which takes at about one month.

Thank you all for your opinions!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok! I’ve got an other contender from the same vendor. It’s 3.84 ct, F, VS1

I’ve got a feeling, this stone gets dark if it’s viewed directly from the top

It’s so hard to choose without seeing it in person…

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really would appreciate any input, I don’t know which one to choose.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok! I’ve got an other contender from the same vendor. It’s 3.84 ct, F, VS1

I’ve got a feeling, this stone gets dark if it’s viewed directly from the top

It’s so hard to choose without seeing it in person…

I think it looks lovely. It is really difficult to tell re the darkness you mention because in the video it looks like a reflection from the camera. If the camera is black/dark, the top down reflection will be black when the camera is close to the stone.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And one more video of the same stone:

This video makes me confused re the cut because the Maltese cross is showing specks/reflections. Not sure how to describe it, but some prefer the cross to be clean/a clear reflection with no splintery parts in it. Not sure if how "clear" it is says anything re the cut, but it makes me a little vary. I do however think the stone looks lovely, but hope someone else will chime in.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
This video makes me confused re the cut because the Maltese cross is showing specks/reflections. Not sure how to describe it, but some prefer the cross to be clean/a clear reflection with no splintery parts in it. Not sure if how "clear" it is says anything re the cut, but it makes me a little vary. I do however think the stone looks lovely, but hope someone else will chime in.

After watching the video again, I see what @acaw2015 is saying and agree. Could the vendor, perhaps, take a video of the stone on a ring holder on the finer so you can get a slightly better idea of performance when worn as ring. Agree that otherwise it looks nice, and would be a great fit for your inspo, but I'm not an expert by any means. Wish I could help more but hopeful others will have more insight to share!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try taking a video in filtered light like under a tree to avoid camera obstruction.

I think I like the second diamond more. I like the smaller table and higher crown. I like the distinct rays.

The video is taken on a rainy day (I can see the background has rain on the ground). SO the lighting is not optimal, the sun is likely completely blocked.

From what I can see from the video, this stone has a lot of fire. This is typical of higher crown stones (lower crown stones look more white). Your second stone is “E” color, which I adore even though that isn‘t how most old large stones look. I suspect the rainbow fire on this one will be really pretty. I’m not sure the total picture though again because the light is so poor quality. These are just my opinions but others may disagree!

edit - i looked at the other stone‘s video again and both seem to have plenty of fire. I still think I like the second one better, due to smaller table.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oof. No that is too much obstruction. A well cut diamond simply will not do that. It is a no go for me. You don’t need more photos, these videos show the red flag very clearly.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to go off-topic, but I hope you eventually share the vendor's name, as I can't stop staring at the ring on their pinky with the sapphires and antiquing. :)

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I had a long chat with the vendor, and lastly I have asked him, to make a comparison video and also a video on the white little paper tray. Today morning I woke up to these videos, and they help me tremendously to make up my mind.

On the video on the white paper tray the squarish stone seems ok, but on the video on hand the square diamond goes dark several times. I have even made screenshots and pointed it out to vendor.

These are the videos:
First one on his hand:

Second one on paper tray:

So after these videos I have decided, that the cut of the more elongated stone is much better. I was looking originally for a stone with the cut pattern of the more squarish one, bunt I rather take a more elongated and better cut stone.

I hope, I have made the right decision.

You could ask yourself, why I haven't choosen the way of a custom cut. The problem is, the vendor is in China, and they have the lunar new year holiday coming up at the beginning of February. It means, if I would make the downpayment now, the stone would be cut maybe in 30 days, Afterwards they would send it to IGI, what takes normally 3 weeks. It would mean for me, that my stone would be not even graded before the lunar new year, so I would maybe have my ready made ring somewhere in the mid or and of March. This would be a too long process for me.

Nevertheless I'm waiting on your opinions regarding the comparison videos.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to go off-topic, but I hope you eventually share the vendor's name, as I can't stop staring at the ring on their pinky with the sapphires and antiquing. :)

As soon as I have made the payment for the stone, I'm happy to share the vendor. They are a very well know vendor on a Reddit subforum for LGD. Latest tomorrow morning I should have the PayPal invoice, so tomorrow afternoon I can share the name of the company.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Kim N I‘ve just did the payment.

The vendors name is Fiorese Jewelry. You can find them on IG.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Between these two the more elongated is definitely better cut.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Between these two the more elongated is definitely better cut.

Agree! After seeing the comparison videos, you made the right choice. I'm looking forward to seeing it set! Will you still be creating something like the inspiration you shared?

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!

I know you help a lot of people find beautiful stones, so I’m happy, that maybe once I can give something back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results